Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby emplay on Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Hey all,

I’ve put a lot of thought into this one – who should replace Coach Mike D’Antoni.

Answer: Kevin Ollie

Here’s why: http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 6363.story

Thanks!

Eric
Check me at at www.HOOPSWORLD.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus
emplay
Clublakers Analyst
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:50 pm

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby Rooscooter on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:32 pm

Why would he jump to a team that will be 3 to 5 years away from contention?

We aren't going to be a destination for a great coach until we have some players capable of winning a chip. Kobe is a shell of Kobe and Nash is cashing checks. Other than that we have D leaguers on one year contracts. A coach is the least of our worries it would seem
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23078
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby trodgers on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Rooscooter wrote:Why would he jump to a team that will be 3 to 5 years away from contention?

We aren't going to be a destination for a great coach until we have some players capable of winning a chip. Kobe is a shell of Kobe and Nash is cashing checks. Other than that we have D leaguers on one year contracts. A coach is the least of our worries it would seem

It's the NBA. It's the Lakers.

Not saying those are overriding reasons, but they're strong reasons.

BTW, I think he's making less than $500k a year right now; that'll change in all likelihood regardless, but he could get many times that amount in LA.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:47 pm

trodgers wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:Why would he jump to a team that will be 3 to 5 years away from contention?

We aren't going to be a destination for a great coach until we have some players capable of winning a chip. Kobe is a shell of Kobe and Nash is cashing checks. Other than that we have D leaguers on one year contracts. A coach is the least of our worries it would seem

It's the NBA. It's the Lakers.

Not saying those are overriding reasons, but they're strong reasons.

BTW, I think he's making less than $500k a year right now; that'll change in all likelihood regardless, but he could get many times that amount in LA.



and if he sucks, we'll pay him to go away anyway like Brown and MDA :jam2:
.
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
User avatar
pound4pound1

 
Posts: 6345
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 am
Location: 818 LAKER NATION

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby trodgers on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:50 pm

BTW, if it's true that we're not going to be a destination for a great coach until we develop young players, doesn't Ollie sounds like a good candidate? Cheaper, credited with starting a culture change in OKC, and success at the college level with younger players. Sounds at least worth considering.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby Center Court on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Ollie is as real a man as it gets. If you got some time, watch this speech. It's motivational on and off the court.

User avatar
Center Court

 
Posts: 3170
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:45 pm
Location: @ CL since '04

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby TIME on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:01 pm

In a New York minute.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9437
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby Rooscooter on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:02 pm

^^^agreed ..... But does that play in the Pros? There have been a few raw-raw guys not translate into the pro game.....

T, not sure on your point. If it's money that's his motivation then I'm not thinking he'd be coming for the right reasons.

The NBA has very few championship coaches that developed a team for 3 to 5 years before winning..... Outside of the C's 60's teams. A guy like him would be great if we were close but he'd be gone before we make it back.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23078
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby trodgers on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:09 pm

Rooscooter wrote:T, not sure on your point. If it's money that's his motivation then I'm not thinking he'd be coming for the right reasons.

I don't think he'd come to the NBA BECAUSE OF money, but if you have two opportunities, and one of them is on a higher level and pays more, why wouldn't you want it? UConn is a good program, but it's not the Lakers. NCAA is good, but it's not the highest level. $500k is good, but it's not millions. I think nearly everyone is motivated by those things - and the great ones are also motivated by the challenge and by the thought that they can do great things. You know Phil Jackson cared (and cares) about money, but it's definitely wrong to say that's WHY he coached. That's what I'm saying.

As for the style - you might be right, but he reminds me a bit of Avery Johnson who had success right out of the gate.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby 432J on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:21 pm

he'd be exactly what this team needs

a player's coach and a fresh face. not one of those recycled coaches like karl or scott
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4784
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby Rooscooter on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:46 pm

trodgers wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:T, not sure on your point. If it's money that's his motivation then I'm not thinking he'd be coming for the right reasons.

I don't think he'd come to the NBA BECAUSE OF money, but if you have two opportunities, and one of them is on a higher level and pays more, why wouldn't you want it? UConn is a good program, but it's not the Lakers. NCAA is good, but it's not the highest level. $500k is good, but it's not millions. I think nearly everyone is motivated by those things - and the great ones are also motivated by the challenge and by the thought that they can do great things. You know Phil Jackson cared (and cares) about money, but it's definitely wrong to say that's WHY he coached. That's what I'm saying.

As for the style - you might be right, but he reminds me a bit of Avery Johnson who had success right out of the gate.



I'll differ to those who watch college more than me. I guess I'm still thinking that the coach is one of the last pieces we need..... And we need a lot of pieces.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23078
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby Thenextgreat on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:24 pm

I love Kevin Ollie but stay at Uconn....#Uconnalumni
User avatar
Thenextgreat

 
Posts: 2131
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:07 am

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby D.B. Cooper on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:26 pm

Coaching is definitely part of the problem. I'd rather give him a chance than say Karl and Scott if we can't get Thibs.

Why would he leave? Oh idk, Lakers, back in the NBA and a pay raise.
Image
User avatar
D.B. Cooper

 
Posts: 6851
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:03 pm
Location: C.L

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby emplay on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:35 pm

thx for the video - i'll watch tonight when i get back from the game :jam2:
Check me at at www.HOOPSWORLD.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus
emplay
Clublakers Analyst
 
Posts: 3945
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:50 pm

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:05 pm

He's definitely one of the coaches I referred to when talking about the Lakers next coach. Young coach with fire, but comes at a risk because he's not "proven". Can the Lakers afford to risk a hire like this? Do they take a chance? Or do they go with proven since this will be the 3rd swing at this?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19446
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby Savory Griddles on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:04 pm

Doc Brown wrote:He's definitely one of the coaches I referred to when talking about the Lakers next coach. Young coach with fire, but comes at a risk because he's not "proven". Can the Lakers afford to risk a hire like this? Do they take a chance? Or do they go with proven since this will be the 3rd swing at this?


Definitely a proven guy. I'm thinking Randy Pfund.
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9045
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby TIME on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:He's definitely one of the coaches I referred to when talking about the Lakers next coach. Young coach with fire, but comes at a risk because he's not "proven". Can the Lakers afford to risk a hire like this? Do they take a chance? Or do they go with proven since this will be the 3rd swing at this?


Definitely a proven guy. I'm thinking Randy Pfund.


Nah, man we need a proven NBA championship coach like Rudy T! :man12:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9437
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:47 am

Why not me ? I'm truly confident in my abilities of coaching this team one season , get fired and remain on the team payroll for the next three seasons
wcsoldier81

 
Posts: 6420
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:20 am

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:04 am

Center Court wrote:Ollie is as real a man as it gets. If you got some time, watch this speech. It's motivational on and off the court.


great video, thanks for sharing this.

Yes, we would be lucky to have him and he would be a fresh face to bring to our team. I agree with other posters on here too, I am tired of bringing in recycled coaches. Let's be bold and potentially hire someone fresh. He doesn't have to come from the NCAA, maybe an assistant else where.
Image
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
User avatar
Battle Tested20

 
Posts: 11701
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:39 pm
Location: San Diego, CA (SDSU)

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby trodgers on Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:52 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Why not me ? I'm truly confident in my abilities of coaching this team one season , get fired and remain on the team payroll for the next three seasons

You make a compelling case. Be sure Jimmy sees your resume.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
User avatar
trodgers
Site Manager
 
Posts: 46636
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:31 pm
Location: Orlando

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:07 am

trodgers wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:Why not me ? I'm truly confident in my abilities of coaching this team one season , get fired and remain on the team payroll for the next three seasons

You make a compelling case. Be sure Jimmy sees your resume.


No joke. I honestly think there are a couple guys on this message board that might be able to coach better than D'Antoni, if not for the simple fact they'd have Kaman and Gasol starting together with Hill spelling them both whenever health allowed as opposed to having a frontcourt of Sacre and Wes Johnson at times. :freak2: And Kobe never would have hurt his knee because...well, because it's D'Antoni and I need to blame him for everything possible. In fact, wasn't the Affordable Care Act called D'antonicare at one point?
User avatar
Savory Griddles

 
Posts: 9045
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 am
Location: AV,CA

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby Vasashi17 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:16 pm

Another name to throw into the hat: Darren Erman

He just got fired by the GSW and was an assistant to Thibs in Boston for 4 years, during which they won the title.
Image
User avatar
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 13008
Joined: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:38 am
Location: Anywhere Purple & Gold

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby The Laker Link on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:59 pm

I joked and laughed about people watching Madness and being like "Ok, so sign Kevin Ollie and draft Napier" or whatever.

It'd be fun, but for some reason, I don't feel like the transition wouldn't work as well as we see it working on TV......for college.
User avatar
The Laker Link

 
Posts: 8088
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2005 2:16 pm
Location: Orange, CA and Provo, UT

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby Rooscooter on Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:54 pm

Savory Griddles wrote:
trodgers wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:Why not me ? I'm truly confident in my abilities of coaching this team one season , get fired and remain on the team payroll for the next three seasons

You make a compelling case. Be sure Jimmy sees your resume.


No joke. I honestly think there are a couple guys on this message board that might be able to coach better than D'Antoni, if not for the simple fact they'd have Kaman and Gasol starting together with Hill spelling them both whenever health allowed as opposed to having a frontcourt of Sacre and Wes Johnson at times. :freak2: And Kobe never would have hurt his knee because...well, because it's D'Antoni and I need to blame him for everything possible. In fact, wasn't the Affordable Care Act called D'antonicare at one point?


Thanks for the kind words..... My plate is pretty full right now and I'm first in line for a position that's a little more prestigious... My Granddaughter's Y-Ball team coach.....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23078
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Lakers should target Connecticut's Kevin Ollie as next head

Postby kenzo on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:15 pm

^ poor kids :man9:
User avatar
kenzo

 
Posts: 5970
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Poland

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.