Postby bluedawgalex on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:48 pm

cdr played great

he looks like a proven player

ebanks should NOT make the team over CDR :bang:
bluedawgalex

Re: Lakers Sign Chris Douglas-Roberts

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:01 pm

bluedawgalex wrote:im not an ebanks fan at all

i really like cdr. the guy can ball out.

ebanks has his moments but i have no faith in him.

aguilar/somogyi,nelson,can be cut

i want sacre and cdr to make the team

we dont need 4 point guards. one of morris/duhon/blake HAS to go.

i'd hate to have to let go of cdr cuz were carrying 4 pt guards, 2 of which suck :bang:

Agreed, Ive seen enough of Ebanks already, nothing is coming out of that guy...CDR should be the backup 3.

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby Snakell Beast on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:07 pm

I disagree with the Ebanks bashing. CDR is more polished and a better shooter, but Ebanks is definitely making the team. To me, Devin has improved markedly from last season. We don't need to choose BETWEEN Ebanks and CDR, we just need to pull the plug on Morris/DJO/Goudelock. That leaves us with room for Ebanks, CDR AND Sacre, with a roster spot to spare! Duhon and Blake are as good as any of the options we have at PG in free agency, so we're going to have to stomach them all season.

TBH, I haven't seen enough of Duhon yet to judge his value on this team, and Steve Blake showed some improvement in the second preseason game. He didn't score, but he made some nice passes, and I could see some improvement in his dribbling and floor movement. Steve Nash is definitely helping Steve Blake to get better. If that keeps up, then Blake may surprise us this season. Here's to hoping :what:
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:26 pm

How could anyone bash Ebanks after that game? Yeah he missed a couple layups, but so did everyone else on the team. No one could make a basket all night long. Defensively he looks very solid, better than CDR, and he's developed a little more range. His mid-range shot is money and if he can get a distance shot to go in about 32-34% of the time he's going to be valuable.

Douglas-Roberts looked good as well, but we don't have to bash one guy to stack up another.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby bluedawgalex on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:31 pm

one good game isnt gonna change the fact that cdr is much better than ebanks

we gotta look at the big picture

who can help us more? ebanks or cdr?

IMO its definitely CDR. we know what we can expect night in & night out. ebanks has his nights but he's not consistent at all.

like is said before if we could get rid of at least one of the 4 PG's we have then there might be space for both ebanks and cdr but im def. leaning more to cdr. :jam2:

i dont see why we need blake/duhon/morris :bang:
bluedawgalex

Postby The Rock on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:33 pm

I dont think CDR's performance affects Ebank's spot on the team CDR is a SG, Ebanks is a SF. Im fine with that moving forward for our bench

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:I disagree with the Ebanks bashing. CDR is more polished and a better shooter, but Ebanks is definitely making the team. To me, Devin has improved markedly from last season. We don't need to choose BETWEEN Ebanks and CDR, we just need to pull the plug on Morris/DJO/Goudelock. That leaves us with room for Ebanks, CDR AND Sacre, with a roster spot to spare! Duhon and Blake are as good as any of the options we have at PG in free agency, so we're going to have to stomach them all season.

TBH, I haven't seen enough of Duhon yet to judge his value on this team, and Steve Blake showed some improvement in the second preseason game. He didn't score, but he made some nice passes, and I could see some improvement in his dribbling and floor movement. Steve Nash is definitely helping Steve Blake to get better. If that keeps up, then Blake may surprise us this season. Here's to hoping :what:

Morris is guaranteed I believe & so is Ebanks

GoldenKnight

Postby therealdeal on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:36 pm

Douglas-Roberts making the team has more to do with Johnson-Odom and Goudelock than Ebanks.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby GoldenKnight on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:37 pm

Blake
Meeks
CDR
Jamison
Hill

would be my 1st choice players from the bench

GoldenKnight

Postby jadej2 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:42 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Blake
Meeks
CDR
Jamison
Hill

would be my 1st choice players from the bench

For offense, but I see Ebanks coming in for defense because he's still better than CDR in that area.
jadej2

Postby jadej2 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:44 pm

bluedawgalex wrote:one good game isnt gonna change the fact that cdr is much better than ebanks

we gotta look at the big picture

who can help us more? ebanks or cdr?

IMO its definitely CDR. we know what we can expect night in & night out. ebanks has his nights but he's not consistent at all.

like is said before if we could get rid of at least one of the 4 PG's we have then there might be space for both ebanks and cdr but im def. leaning more to cdr. :jam2:

i dont see why we need blake/duhon/morris :bang:

It's because they all have guaranteed contracts that's why.
jadej2

Postby noobiew on Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:15 am

He is definitely better than his competitors Goudelock & DJO
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Scnottaken on Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:50 am

When are the CD-R jokes gonna start?
I guess that would be now, right?
Is he 16x the player everyone thought he'd be?
He only SATA on the bench.
Will he even scratch the rotation?
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby kobe_mamba on Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:57 am

Scnottaken wrote:When are the CD-R jokes gonna start?

well played sir, well played. :bow:
ESPN/ABC Commentator, GSW Coach and NBA Legend Mark Jackson on Kobe Bryant
'No disrespect to Kyra Sedgwick, but damn he is The Closer'
'Mamma, there goes that man'
kobe_mamba

Postby KB24 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:01 am

:man10:

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Magic Skywalker on Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:04 am

therealdeal wrote:How could anyone bash Ebanks after that game? Yeah he missed a couple layups, but so did everyone else on the team. No one could make a basket all night long. Defensively he looks very solid, better than CDR, and he's developed a little more range. His mid-range shot is money and if he can get a distance shot to go in about 32-34% of the time he's going to be valuable.

Douglas-Roberts looked good as well, but we don't have to bash one guy to stack up another.

I would post more on this forum, but damn, everytime I want to say something it has already been said by therealdeal and/or Lakerjones.

I came to say the exact same thing.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:08 am

Well thank you sir. :kobe1:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:13 am

KB24 wrote:

spin-dle move in the lane
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:29 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:I disagree with the Ebanks bashing. CDR is more polished and a better shooter, but Ebanks is definitely making the team. To me, Devin has improved markedly from last season. We don't need to choose BETWEEN Ebanks and CDR, we just need to pull the plug on Morris/DJO/Goudelock. That leaves us with room for Ebanks, CDR AND Sacre, with a roster spot to spare! Duhon and Blake are as good as any of the options we have at PG in free agency, so we're going to have to stomach them all season.

Hell yeah...... here's to that observation which makes all the sense in the world. :beer: And as the whole league knows Nash to be a just outstanding team guy with the rest of his mates he would like nothing more than to teach what he can and make Blake better. Can you imagine being worked with one on one with Steve Nash? Yeah barring any injuries I think it makes sense for Blake to maybe improve to a level he's never been before. He's still physical and athletic enough if Nash is..... :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby Snakell Beast on Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:35 pm

GoldenKnight wrote:Morris is guaranteed I believe & so is Ebanks

Yeah, I know that. I'm just responding to the people that are talking about us choosing EITHER CDR or Ebanks.

"When are the CD-R jokes gonna start?

"spin-dle move in the lane"

I'm glad he has had a chance to properly spin up into the rotation...Actually, he is 52x the player I thought he was...we might as well lightscribe his name on the back of a team jersey right now, because he definintely deserves to make our top 12 pack. Nash can laser some passes to him, and he can finish on the break at a blistering 7,200RPM. I can just imation all the great memorex we will have watching him get serious burn, even without sessions. If we really want a great player, we can pass on CD-R for BD-R, I hear he creates way more SPACE, and his floor vision is much higher resolution... :man9:
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby JSM on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:23 pm

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

Chris Douglas-Roberts came over to talk a lil' trash/root for the rookies in 1-on-1 drills w/Howard. Related: CDR's funny.

Mike Trudell ‏@LakersReporter

CDR said his goal is to constantly push Howard in the direction that he should be dominating everybody all the time.

Sounds like a good asset to have on the team. Do it Mitch!
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby GoldenKnight on Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:57 pm

Would honestly be shocked if he doesn't make the team, quality role player in the NBA that can have big scoring nights from time to time

GoldenKnight

Postby dj vitus on Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:09 pm

fksteveblake wrote:
KB24 wrote:

spin-dle move in the lane

and burn by his opponent
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby JSM on Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:04 am

Brian Kamenetzky of ESPN wrote: When the Lakers signed swingman Chris Douglas-Roberts on media day, I noted his somewhat unusual position. Too good to be a camp body, but still someone fighting serious odds to make the team.

The 40th pick of the 2008 draft by the then-New Jersey Nets, he's a guy who in his three seasons has shown the ability to score at the NBA level, and at one point was seen as a sleeper-type up-and-comer. But when the lockout came last year, Douglas-Roberts was among those players who took the bird in the hand, signing overseas with Virtus Bologna and staying in Italy after it ended.

The NBA is a tough place, where being out of sight can put a guy out of mind, too. Getting back in the league is no sure thing, even for a young player with a decent track record, making Douglas-Roberts one of the more interesting stories of Lakers camp.

I spoke with Douglas-Roberts on Thursday afternoon after practice.

Q: You were overseas the entire year. What was the calculation behind that decision, considering the labor situation the NBA faced at the time?

Chris Douglas-Roberts: It was actually great for me, because during the lockout -- I'm was a fairly young player, I (had just finished) my third year -- so it was about basketball for me. It wasn't about money, I just wanted to play basketball. But I went over there, and made that commitment to stay. It definitely made me a better basketball player, and it made me a better person.

It made me more appreciative, because some days I didn't have heat. The living conditions were terrible. I had to heat up water to give my daughter a bath, some days. If you had the microwave on and the washer on, the electricity may go out in the whole house. It was very small. The shower at the gym that we practiced at, it was filthy. There was mold everywhere. You couldn't put your feet on the ground, barefoot. Guys were getting staph infections. It was basically back to when I was growing up in Detroit. But when I look at it, it just made me a better person and a player.

Q: Did you know what you were getting into?

CDR: Not at all. I had no clue. When you think of Italy, you think of beauty. You think of good food, great people. Which was the case, but it's a different game over there. They look at basketball different, they look at the athlete different. You're practicing two times a day, regardless. Very hard practices, two hours both sessions, and there aren't any days off, really. It's more about the organization, really. It's not about the athlete, really.

Q: How concerned were you about taking yourself out of the NBA game? Out of sight, out of mind so to speak, for an entire year. Obviously you didn't know at the time if there would even be a season, here.

CDR: Right. You know, I kind of made the decision to go there blindly. I've always been confident in myself, I always knew that I was an NBA player. I've performed in this league before. When I come in here, these guys know me. They don't treat me like (a guy in) the situation I'm in now. I've always been confident in myself. I felt like I could go over there and come back. I still feel that way now.

Q: You signed here late. What was the summer like for you, in terms of trying to get back on the radar of NBA teams?

CDR: It was a lot of things going on. We were talking with a lot of teams, and actually thought we were going to go to a certain team that I'm not going to name. But things kind of fell through. And because I didn't go there, I passed up on other offers where I could have just signed right away and wouldn't have been in this position.

Q: Where you're pretty sure you'd have made the team?

CDR: Yeah. The situations -- there were two situations I passed up -- I could have walked into a deal. It wasn't a situation like this, but we were kind of waiting for the other thing to unfold, and it kind of fell through. And it put me in this position I'm in now. But I'm definitely a firm believer that things happen for a reason.

Q: What's this experience been like for you? In the media, we'll look at training camp rosters and say, "Oh, that guy is just a camp body, this guy has a guaranteed deal." Well, you're not a camp body. You have a legitimate NBA resume. Still, there's not a clear path to a roster spot in L.A. What's it like for you to be in this sort of limbo?

CDR: I'm totally selfless right now. That's something I learned from being overseas. Sometimes I feel like this game will humble you. You have a lot of obstacles you have to overcome, and you just can't quit. And I really enjoy that part of the grind. Right now, I'm at that stage in my career. I've seen guys at this stage. (In New Jersey), I've seen guys at this stage in Milwaukee, and I always appreciated the way they came in and were professional every day, and came to play hard. When I'm in this gym, I'm competing at a very high level. Like I said, these guys know me, these guys respect me.

I'm going up against Kobe every day, and I'm confident. And Kobe is confident in me. He's kind of taken me under his wing, and I've heard stories about Kobe, that he doesn't really like people like that. That's just honest. So for him to actually do that, for him to actually care about my development, man, it means everything.

Q: Given the roster math, how does him being here impact things? Knowing the 2-guard is totally set, that there are other guys under contract who can play the 2 or at small forward, too?

CDR: I really don't look at that at all. I look at my chances of making the team based on what I do every day in here, and what I do in these (preseason) games and how I treat my teammates. We have an incredible starting lineup. An incredible starting lineup. But I know all championship teams need help off the bench. I know that, and that's why I'm in here. Regardless of what happens, these guys, they're going to need some help off the bench and I feel like I can provide that.

Q: The knock on you in terms of the scouting reports isn't about scoring or creating shots, but the other stuff. Not as good a passer, not as good a rebounder as you could be. When you talked earlier about improving your game in Italy, is that some of the stuff you're referencing?

CDR: Yeah. Because over in Italy, I was constantly being double teamed, and I was forced to see these passes I haven't seen before. And they were emphasizing rebounding, they were emphasizing being an all-around great player. I had great coaches over there. I can't ever take that away from my experience. My coaches were incredible. They stuck with me, and really emphasized those other things. There are a lot of guys who just come off the bench and score. I don't want to be one of those guys. The guys in here are calling me a really good defender. I know I can do that. I plan on coming here and defending.

But I'm not going to take away from my strengths. I'm a scorer, so I score the ball. That's what I'm going to do- I can't take away from that.

Really interesting read. Explains why he's here, I do wonder what team he thought he had a deal with. Playing overseas can be very beneficial to a player with one primary skill set (scoring), who's willing to adapt, work, and learn how to improve...sounds like CDR is at that stage. Kobe's really taken a liking to him, it sounds. I don't think he'd invest time in a pet project if he didn't see him making the roster. Also, really good to hear the Lakers are impressed with his D. He has the tools to be a capable defender, but at the NBA level that's never been one of his strongest areas. If he's made strides in that department that will definitely help on getting him a spot on a Mike Brown team.

Honestly, I don't see how he doesn't make it. Hope I'm right.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion