Lakers standing in Western Conf. Discussion

Re: Lakers standing in Western Conf. Discussion

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:02 am

We aren't catching the 1 or 2 seed anymore. I'm hoping within the next 6 or 7 games that we secure the 3 spot and have no chance of dropping down a spot in the standings. This will hopefully allow Brown to get K-G-B-R some rest and play the younger guys and get their confidence up just in case they are called upon in the playoffs.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby kenzo on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:07 pm

Looks like Houston in the 1st, Thunder next. Will Lowry be back for the first round?
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:13 pm

kenzo wrote:Looks like Houston in the 1st, Thunder next. Will Lowry be back for the first round?

Well if the playoffs started today-

SA- Denver
LAC- Memphis

OKC- Houston
LAL- Dallas

It'd probably end up being Dallas, OKC, and either SA or Memphis.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:45 pm

We are not going any higher than 3, but with some TOUGH games coming up it's possible we could slip, we're barely above the Clippers, and Memphis is right behind them.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby kenzo on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:00 pm

5th seed anyone? :freak2:
kenzo

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:20 am

We're only 4 1/2 games ahead of the 8th spot, with again, some tough games coming up, I have no idea where we're going to end up at this point. I'd like to see us somehow hang onto the 3 spot if we want to have any hope in the playoffs though.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:20 am

Memphis will get the 3rd seed and there will the 4-5 battle of LA... if SAS finish 1st ,it would be the best bracket for us ... no trips during the 1st round can't be overlooked aswell
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:24 am

Weezy wrote:We're only 4 1/2 games ahead of the 8th spot, with again, some tough games coming up, I have no idea where we're going to end up at this point. I'd like to see us somehow hang onto the 3 spot if we want to have any hope in the playoffs though.

yeah we could be worried ... fortunately there are lots of games remaining between teams which are currently in the playoffs so all teams can't overcome us in the standings
wcsoldier81

Postby snackdaddy on Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:30 pm

I don't see us taking the 3rd seed. With 9 games remaining, I count 4 sure losses. 3 with the Spurs and 1 with the Thunder. That means the best we can do is 40 wins and 26 losses. Odds are, we will falter against one or two other teams and that would make 38 or 39 wins.

Memphis has 11 games left and looking at their schedule, they should win at least 8. That makes 40. We could easily slip out of the top 4, but as long as the Clippers are number 4, thats OK. I don't think the Clippers can beat the Lakers and the Lakers wouldn't be traveling.

The Lakers really have no chance at SA or OK city. But thats OK too, because I never thought they were more than a 2nd round playoff team. Maybe during the offseason, Mitch will realize the bench was the biggest problem and address that.
snackdaddy

Postby The Rock on Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:30 pm

I think we'll hang onto the 3 seed. But what the hell are we gonna do with it in the playoffs, thats what concerns me.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:32 pm

snackdaddy wrote:I don't see us taking the 3rd seed. With 9 games remaining, I count 4 sure losses. 3 with the Spurs and 1 with the Thunder. That means the best we can do is 40 wins and 26 losses. Odds are, we will falter against one or two other teams and that would make 38 or 39 wins.

Memphis has 11 games left and looking at their schedule, they should win at least 8. That makes 40. We could easily slip out of the top 4, but as long as the Clippers are number 4, thats OK. I don't think the Clippers can beat the Lakers and the Lakers wouldn't be traveling.

The Lakers really have no chance at SA or OK city. But thats OK too, because I never thought they were more than a 2nd round playoff team. Maybe during the offseason, Mitch will realize the bench was the biggest problem and address that.

Thanks for the confidence.... lol
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:42 pm

No way we'll finish 3rd , look at Memphis remaining schedule ... they have one tough back to back at SA and that's it...

vs Suns
at Spurs (b2b)
vs Jazz
at Hornets (b2b)
at Wolves
vs Hornets (b2b)
at Bobcats
vs Blazers (b2b)
vs Cavs
vs Magic
wcsoldier81

Postby KobeSystemtwofour on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:03 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:No way we'll finish 3rd , look at Memphis remaining schedule ... they have one tough back to back at SA and that's it...

vs Suns
at Spurs (b2b)
vs Jazz
at Hornets (b2b)
at Wolves
vs Hornets (b2b)
at Bobcats
vs Blazers (b2b)
vs Cavs
vs Magic

We'll finish 3RD
“If somebody had their life on the line, and they’ve got their options on who they want to save their life – tell me who you’re going to pick?” Bryant asked. “You’re going to look at the stats first?”
KobeSystemtwofour

Postby LakerFanIam on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:23 pm

We definitely have the tougher remaining schedule between Us, Memphis & the Clips...
LakerFanIam

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:31 pm

Lakers vs Clippers will be an exciting playoff series at least so if it happens we'll have that. Actually I wouldn't mind slipping to the 4th seed if the Clippers end up in 5th. Staying in 3rd only to face the Rockets is kind of lame and it's not like they're a push over anyway. We're out in the 2nd round regardless so might as well have an enjoyable 1st round series.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby jamabile on Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Clippers play Oklahoma tonight. That's a loss. Ideally, we beat San Antonio and create more distance between us and the Clippers to finish in that 3rd slot. Kind of a tall order considering how inconsistent we are at both ends of the floor. Houston is in the 6th spot. I'm hoping Dallas finishes 6th. I would rather face Dallas the first round then Houston. In the second round, I'm hoping we get San Antonio. We'll see how match up against them tomorrow. I might change my tune.
jamabile

Postby dj vitus on Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:51 pm

Wow, after a tumultuous 58 games, we're still the best team in the NBA outside of the big 4. Now if we just remember to play defense the way we did earlier this season and continue to shoot with confidence, we may actually have the slightest chance of winning it all.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:46 pm

Things need to fall in line for us to make a strong playoff push:

1. Health - Kobe, Andrew particularly - but the entire team needs to stay healthy because we need all the contribution we can get.

2. Focus - Andrew needs to get back to March Madness. Metta needs to keep up his defense and quick hands. Pau needs to be aggressive. Ramon needs to play within his limits, and lead the floor. Kobe needs to not force the issue, trust his team, and play defense.

As for the bench, Blake just needs to be Blake. Protect the ball, find the open man, and hit the outside jumper. Barnes and McRoberts provide the energy and hustle and physicality.

3. Defense - We've lost a step with defense, but communication on pick and rolls and rotations IS KEY. Don't leave shooters open, switch on pick and rolls if need be, grab the defensive boards.

If we can get those things going, I think we'll make a good playoff push. This season is wide open to ALL teams 1-8 on both conferences.

Memphis is RED HOT right now. San Antonio have quietly become the best team in the league. Boston has come alive late. All teams are dangerous, and one slip can be disastrous.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Finwë on Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:48 am

^^ agreed.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby XXIV on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 am

OKC plays the Clippers at the Staples Center today, let's hope they give the floppers a loss.
XXIV

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:41 am

I have a feeling we might get Denver in 1st round. I dont see Clippers and Memphis changing out of hte 4/5 slot. Im sure Dallas wants no part of us after going 0-4 vs us in the regular season and they might go to the 7 spot to challenge San Antonio. I think Utah will sneak in ahead of Houston in the 8 spot.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby davriver290 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:42 am

The Rock wrote:I have a feeling we might get Denver in 1st round. I dont see Clippers and Memphis changing out of hte 4/5 slot. Im sure Dallas wants no part of us after going 0-4 vs us in the regular season and they might go to the 7 spot to challenge San Antonio. I think Utah will sneak in ahead of Houston in the 8 spot.

I want Houston........... Or Dallas. One of those two teams. I'm tired of playing Denver in the postseason.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:44 am

davriver290 wrote:
The Rock wrote:I have a feeling we might get Denver in 1st round. I dont see Clippers and Memphis changing out of hte 4/5 slot. Im sure Dallas wants no part of us after going 0-4 vs us in the regular season and they might go to the 7 spot to challenge San Antonio. I think Utah will sneak in ahead of Houston in the 8 spot.

I want Houston........... Or Dallas. One of those two teams. I'm tired of playing Denver in the postseason.

careful what you ask for. Houston is all out hustle. They pushed us to 7 games 2 yrs ago.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby jlkr on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:49 am

Given the Lakers' strength in the post, I would prefer Dallas or Denver in the 1st round. Houston seems to be pretty good at giving the Lakers fits with their defense.

Definitely do not want Memphis at any time, they are the only team in the West that can flat out compete with the Lakers in the post plus they have Tony Allen to lead the perimeter defense in pestering Kobe. I'm not nearly as afraid of OKC or SA because the Lakers have the clear advantage in the post over both of those teams.

Regarding SA, I don't think they can match the Lakers in a 7 game series even if they play a lot better than they did in the blowout loss last week. The Lakers' strength in the post will wear Duncan down. The rebounding edge might not be 60-33 like last time, but it will still be sizable. A real hurdle for SA to overcome.

Regarding OKC, given MWP's resurgence, Durant will still score, but he'll have to work hard at both ends of the floor. Westbrook is the OKC X-factor as no Laker can stop him from getting his shots. Ibaka will be prominent part of their help defense in the post, but Bynum is slowly but surely getting better against the double teams. So it will be a thrilling series which I now expect to go to 7 games if the Lakers play as well as they have recently and Kobe can stay healthy.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:02 am

jlkr wrote:Given the Lakers' strength in the post, I would prefer Dallas or Denver in the 1st round. Houston seems to be pretty good at giving the Lakers fits with their defense.

Definitely do not want Memphis at any time, they are the only team in the West that can flat out compete with the Lakers in the post plus they have Tony Allen to lead the perimeter defense in pestering Kobe. I'm not nearly as afraid of OKC or SA because the Lakers have the clear advantage in the post over both of those teams.

Regarding SA, I don't think they can match the Lakers in a 7 game series even if they play a lot better than they did in the blowout loss last week. The Lakers' strength in the post will wear Duncan down. The rebounding edge might not be 60-33 like last time, but it will still be sizable. A real hurdle for SA to overcome.

Regarding OKC, given MWP's resurgence, Durant will still score, but he'll have to work hard at both ends of the floor. Westbrook is the OKC X-factor as no Laker can stop him from getting his shots. Ibaka will be prominent part of their help defense in the post, but Bynum is slowly but surely getting better against the double teams. So it will be a thrilling series which I now expect to go to 7 games if the Lakers play as well as they have recently and Kobe can stay healthy.

^^ Great breakdown and I agree 100% with all of it. Big +1 for me!

I hope the standings stay as they are facing Dallas in the first round or even possibly Denver. I want SA second round, even with them having HCA. As shown the other day on their home floor, the Lakers don't have any fear of SA and we match up very well with them. I wholeheartedly believe we will take them out in a series. No question in my mind.

I also believe we are going to have a showdown with OKC in the WCF to really find out who the best in the West is right now. At least I'm hoping for it . . . but really, I do think it's going to happen. All bets are off for that one if it does go down.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion