Lakers standing in Western Conf. Discussion

Re: Lakers standing in Western Conf. Discussion

Postby Magic Skywalker on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:17 am

To be honest, I do believe there is a chance to lose against any Playoffs team in the West, maybe the Nuggets probably, but we most definitely won't be playing against them.

That being said, the only team I kind of fear a little is the Thunder (including both conferences). Perkins and Ibaka may not be the best scoring interiors, but they are a great inside D, which helps to at least slow down Pau and Drew. Kobe won't be stopped by the Thunder, but stopping their scoring trio will also prove very difficult for us too. I do think we can beat them, but it will prove to be difficult.

Other than that, bring whoever you want, I don't care. Grizzlies, Rockets, Clippers, Mavs or Spurs. I don't have problem with any of them, we should beat any of them, and if we can't, then it would only mean we weren't the best. I believe this Laker team has te potential to be the very best, and I want to trust they will show us what we were used to see, not that illusion we saw on last year's Playoffs.

Finally, I suppose I do want to see another series against the Mavs, just for the sake of sweet revenge. They swept us because they played very good, but also because we played like ****. The best way to forget that is by beating them on a Playoffs series.
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby switzerland on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:37 am

What a close one yesterday........I particulary enjoyed the two no calls on Barnes in OT, those cost Dallas the game no doubt.

When I look at the win in SA, I break down the outstanding efforts of AB & MWP. It would appear judging from everyones consensus comments that those two are capable of producing more "career" type numbers in a game against SA.

I look at the Knicks of an example, Melo goes down and Linsanity sweeps the NBA. Bring melo back and they lost what 6 out of 9? All the NBA beat writers seem to agree that Kobe's absence has made other players "step up". I dont exactly agree.......Look at RS long ball % before we obtained him and look at them as a Laker. They call them averages for a reason. Kinda like when I golf a low 80's even though I'm a 15 handicap. All that means is the next game I'm bound to shoot a mid-high 90's. Thats how averages work, right? I hope I'm wrong, not trying to be a debbie downer......

As they say, time will tell. I will say we have played extremely well in Kobe's absence, thats what has me worried, a little too well. Lets face it, this is all speculative babble and until Kobe comes back none of us will know how this team will look. Until then...............
switzerland

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:27 pm

So it looks like our magic number to clinch the 3 spot is 4. Any combo of us winning and the Clippers losing adding up to 4 in our next 5 games and their final 6. We don't have the easiest schedule. 2 more against SAS, one there, one against OKC, and two against lesser opponents GSW and Sacto but both are away games and GSW is 2nd night of a back to back.

Clippers definitely have an easier schedule - they do play OKC but they seem to match up well against them if the last game was any indicator. They also have Atlanta away which will be a tough game. Other than that they have a bunch of games against teams fighting to make or stay in the lower rungs of the playoff picture like the Suns, Denver, and NYC. Those will be competitive but not the challenge we have with SAS. Their only gimme is against NOH here at home.

It should be interesting. I do hope we lock it up! And sooner than later.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:30 pm

^Phoenix, Denver and New York won't be cakewalks plus all are on the road.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:32 pm

Lakerjones wrote:So it looks like our magic number to clinch the 3 spot is 4. Any combo of us winning and the Clippers losing adding up to 4 in our next 5 games and their final 6. We don't have the easiest schedule. 2 more against SAS, one there, one against OKC, and two against lesser opponents GSW and Sacto but both are away games and GSW is 2nd night of a back to back.

Clippers definitely have an easier schedule - they do play OKC but they seem to match up well against them if the last game was any indicator. They also have Atlanta away which will be a tough game. Other than that they have a bunch of games against teams fighting to make or stay in the lower rungs of the playoff picture like the Suns, Denver, and NYC. Those will be competitive but not the challenge we have with SAS. Their only gimme is against NOH here at home.

So we basically gotta win 4 outta our next 5 games correct or hope that the Clippers lose 2 more and we win 2 more games to clinch? It's gonna depend WHEN those losses actually come for the Clippers...I'm hoping one of them comes tonight against OKC...cuz we got a tough schedule this week with San Antonio, GS, San Antonio and OKC.
FabFourLakers

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:37 pm

gcclaker wrote:^Phoenix, Denver and New York won't be cakewalks plus all are on the road.

^^ True. All will be fighting to make or keep their spots or move up for the playoff picture. They'll be tough, just saying though - not as tough as us having to play SAS twice coming up, one here and one away. I know we smoked SAS last time, but they'll be ready for us this time around. If we don't have Kobe we'll be vulnerable. If we do have Kobe we'll be vulnerable, too, as it would be his first game back from injury. I think it'll be a tough game. And the one later back at their place will be even tougher.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:40 pm

FabFourLakers wrote:
Lakerjones wrote:So it looks like our magic number to clinch the 3 spot is 4. Any combo of us winning and the Clippers losing adding up to 4 in our next 5 games and their final 6. We don't have the easiest schedule. 2 more against SAS, one there, one against OKC, and two against lesser opponents GSW and Sacto but both are away games and GSW is 2nd night of a back to back.

So we basically gotta win 4 outta our next 5 games correct or hope that the Clippers lose 2 more and we win 2 more games to clinch? It's gonna depend WHEN those losses actually come for the Clippers...I'm hoping one of them comes tonight against OKC...cuz we got a tough schedule this week with San Antonio, GS, San Antonio and OKC.

^^ Pretty much yes to all of those questions as far as my limited math skills can figure out. Any combo of 4 clinches it- our wins, their losses. Remember they do have one more game to play (6) than us and that plays in our favor.

In other words, if we win 2 of the next five games and they lose 2 out of their last six games we clinch. Or if we go 3-2 and they end up at 5-1 we'll still clinch. If we win 4 of our final 5 they are done. Odds are in our favor. But we still needs some wins.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Big game tonight against the Clippers and OKC. Let's hope OKC can redeem themselves for losing against the Clips at home last week.

Also I really want OKC to get that # 1 seed because I would love to play SAS in the 2nd Round instead of the Thunder. I'm not scared of them I just think that if we do come across them I would much rather see them in the WCF if we too are fortunate enough to get there. Plus I think the best 1st round series hands down would be Clips vs. Grizzlies. I get excited just thinking about that match up. Then in the 2nd Round OKC would have to go up against that winner and both the Clips and Grizzlies have given OKC trouble this year because they match-up well with them.

It's good though that we're still 2 games up on the Clips in the (L) column even though it's really 1 game. We own the tiebreaker so that's some nice cushion there.

Exciting times closing out this compacted regular season for sure
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Chopper on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:51 pm

SAS wont be as tough as people might think. Their seeding is solid and Pops like to shut down his big three to rest near the end of the season. Does Pop think he can hang against the twin towers of LA and keep going for the No. 1 seed, or simply pack it in for the second game against LA. I think he packs it in for at least the last game.
Chopper

Postby gcclaker on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:51 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
gcclaker wrote:^Phoenix, Denver and New York won't be cakewalks plus all are on the road.

^^True. All will be fighting to make or keep their spots or move up for the playoff picture. They'll be tough, just saying though - not as tough as us having to play SAS twice coming up, one here and one away. I know we smoked SAS last time, but they'll be ready for us this time around. If we don't have Kobe we'll be vulnerable. If we do have Kobe we'll be vulnerable, too, as it would be his first game back from injury. I think it'll be a tough game. And the one later back at their place will be even tougher.

Agreed... The Lakers have a more difficult schedule but the Clippers are also struggling to put away teams at the moment. They didn't exactly register resounding victories over Minnesota [sans Love if I recall] and a Warrior team who didn't have Lee. Those recent showings alone gives me some assurance against the three tougher opponents I mentioned.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Chopper wrote:SAS wont be as tough as people might think. Their seeding is solid and Pops like to shut down his big three to rest near the end of the season. Does Pop think he can hang against the twin towers of LA and keep going for the No. 1 seed, or simply pack it in for the second game against LA. I think he packs it in for at least the last game.

I think the next one on our floor Tuesday is going to be a very hard fought game. We took them by surprise without Kobe. This time they will come prepared for that possibility. And if Kobe does play he probably won't be 100%. Either way, look for a better match than the last game against them. They still have a shot at number one seed and don't think they don't want it.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:10 pm

Looks like Denver it is. Dallas will do everything it can to stay in the 7 slot and take on Spurs

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:19 pm

That's if Dallas even makes the playoffs...they're in 3OT right now at Utah...if they lose this game...they are in danger of missing the palyoffs with Houston and Phoenix right ther...and guess who they play on wednesday? HOUSTON.
FabFourLakers

Postby 24K GOLD on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Phoenix is not going to make it. They have a killer schedule down the stretch.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 pm

DALLAS loses in TRIPLE OT...what a demoralizing loss for them...they're in danger of slipping out of the playoffs....next game is against HOUSTON!!!! HUGE game for both teams!!!!
FabFourLakers

Postby 24K GOLD on Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:28 pm

Denver climbs up to 6th.
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Postby FabFourLakers on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:02 pm

Man this sucks....Clippers keep winning...if they take 3rd, we have to make sure OKC ends 2nd and San Antonio ends 1st...need to draw Spurs in the 2nd round...but i want no part of MEMPHIS in the first round! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:
FabFourLakers

Postby karacha on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:08 pm

There's no reason to calculate too much. If you want to win it all, you have to show you're the best. Simple as that. We have to keep winning, keep the #3 seed. If we fall to the #4, we'll have to deal with that as well. Not a problem. LAC could lose in Denver or NY or ATL, which would give us a little space. We have to beat SAS and OKC, which is not easy, but it's possible.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:21 pm

Was really hoping LAC would lose tonight, but we're still ahead for the third seed.
XXIV

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:37 am

Let's see how this week turns out in the Western Conf then we should calculate ( if possible) entering the last 2 games ... I like how the Floppers match up with OKC and obviously how we match up with SAS regardless of the outcome of the 2 next games .
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:27 am

I think the games against SA will determine a lot.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby denimPortugal on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:30 am

OKC lost the two games against the Flippers...arggg :bang:
denimPortugal

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:52 am

24K GOLD wrote:Denver climbs up to 6th.

Would be a good 1st round matchup. We would have to step up but it wouldn't really be a real threat. And Kobe could get his rhythm back against a defensive weak team like that.
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:00 am

Kobe has shot the ball like crap against Denver ... their team D isn't strong but they have done a good job defending Kobe , especially with Afflalo on him ... they have done a poor job at containing Drew and Pau though
wcsoldier81

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:54 am

Do we have the tie-break against Memphis?
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion