Lakers standing in Western Conf. Discussion

Re: Lakers standing in Western Conf. Discussion

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:00 am

Kobe has shot the ball like crap against Denver ... their team D isn't strong but they have done a good job defending Kobe , especially with Afflalo on him ... they have done a poor job at containing Drew and Pau though
wcsoldier81

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:54 am

Do we have the tie-break against Memphis?
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby gcclaker on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:36 am

KareemTheGreat33 wrote:Do we have the tie-break against Memphis?

Yes, I believe we do. I like the Clippers winning as it keeps pressure on the Lakers to win and hold on that third seed.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:39 am

DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:
24K GOLD wrote:Denver climbs up to 6th.

Would be a good 1st round matchup. We would have to step up but it wouldn't really be a real threat. And Kobe could get his rhythm back against a defensive weak team like that.

I don't think Kobe's shooting vs DEN is very good in general.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:57 am

karacha wrote:
DJ-RaZ-Q#24 wrote:
24K GOLD wrote:Denver climbs up to 6th.

Would be a good 1st round matchup. We would have to step up but it wouldn't really be a real threat. And Kobe could get his rhythm back against a defensive weak team like that.

I don't think Kobe's shooting vs DEN is very good in general.

Probably due to Afflalo who's a good defender.
XXIV

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:00 am

karacha wrote:There's no reason to calculate too much. If you want to win it all, you have to show you're the best. Simple as that. We have to keep winning, keep the #3 seed. If we fall to the #4, we'll have to deal with that as well. Not a problem. LAC could lose in Denver or NY or ATL, which would give us a little space. We have to beat SAS and OKC, which is not easy, but it's possible.

agreed.
I have never been a "we should avoid them" type of fan. I don't want any astrix next to our names. No matter how the cards lay if we want the Ring we need to go through SAS or OKC at some point in the playoffs.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Barnstable on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:04 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:
karacha wrote:There's no reason to calculate too much. If you want to win it all, you have to show you're the best. Simple as that. We have to keep winning, keep the #3 seed. If we fall to the #4, we'll have to deal with that as well. Not a problem. LAC could lose in Denver or NY or ATL, which would give us a little space. We have to beat SAS and OKC, which is not easy, but it's possible.

agreed.
I have never been a "we should avoid them" type of fan. I don't want any astrix next to our names. No matter how the cards lay if we want the Ring we need to go through SAS or OKC at some point in the playoffs.

Agreed agreed

I think this team has the personnel to beat any team out there.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Clevername on Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:07 pm

We'd have to lose 2 of our next 5 games and the Clippers have to win their next 5 games to pass us for the 3 seed. Anything can happen, but I'm not really worried.
Clevername

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:07 pm

the lakers could end up with the 5th seed after they finish the season 2-2
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel

Postby The Rock on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:08 pm

Better win tomorrow

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby GoldHammish on Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Yeah, while that's true, there's no harm in saying that you'd rather prefer to play team X instead of Y, or that you'd like to avoid team Z if at all possible IMO. I mean, it's not like we're just going to drop dead because we end up facing a team we don't want to see. Just because there's a few teams that we'd rather play or not play in the playoffs doesn't mean that it would give us an asterisk.

I believe that our team can beat any other team out there, but hey, if for example someone told me that it's possible to avoid say Memphis in the first round, or be on the opposite side of the bracket than OKC, I'd take those options. Doesn't mean I think we'll lose to them, I just think we'd have an easier time other wise.
GoldHammish

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:06 pm

CaCHooKa Man wrote:the lakers could end up with the 5th seed after they finish the season 2-2

We have the tiebreaker against Memphis and we would have the tiebreaker in a three way tie with LAC and Grizz so no
wcsoldier81

Postby Weezy on Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:27 pm

We're dangerously close to the 4th spot and a first round matchup with the Grizzlies, I do not like the sound of that.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby FabFourLakers on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:12 am

Weezy wrote:We're dangerously close to the 4th spot and a first round matchup with the Grizzlies, I do not like the sound of that.

Now do you guys realize WHY i was saying "4th seed here we come" when the Clippers beat the Thunder yesterday? If we lose one more game, we will slip to the 4 seed...and while that does put us in the same bracket as the Spurs, we would match up against the GRIZZLIES in the first round, the ONE team I do NOT wanna see in the first round!!!

We BETTER win tomorrow night in GS....we absolutely need to win our last 4 games. Clippers are on FIRE right now.
FabFourLakers

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:12 am

I told you guys in the last page that I thought this was going to be a tough game tonight and again on Friday. I knew it was going to be the case.

I'm not going to lie, I'm concerned about our playoff seeding. I believe that unless we get Kobe back Friday we may end up on a three game slide of losses. Even if Kobe comes back Friday he's going to be very rusty. SAS is going now feeling good about itself after this one. We gave them confidence they shouldn't have right now.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:28 am

FabFourLakers wrote:
Weezy wrote:We're dangerously close to the 4th spot and a first round matchup with the Grizzlies, I do not like the sound of that.

Now do you guys realize WHY i was saying "4th seed here we come" when the Clippers beat the Thunder yesterday? If we lose one more game, we will slip to the 4 seed...and while that does put us in the same bracket as the Spurs, we would match up against the GRIZZLIES in the first round, the ONE team I do NOT wanna see in the first round!!!

We BETTER win tomorrow night in GS....we absolutely need to win our last 4 games. Clippers are on FIRE right now.

Relax Clippers have 4 away games ( 2 back 2 backs) against teams battling for making the playoffs /playoffs positioning ... they sure aren't winning all of these 4 games ... a 3-1 end ( 2-2 might do it too) by the Lakers would definetely be enough to get the 3rd seed .. won't be easy though
wcsoldier81

Postby Phil XI on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:30 am

FabFourLakers wrote:If we lose one more game, we will slip to the 4 seed.

Denver will hold serve tomorrow at home. After Wed night, the Lakers will again have their cushion (1 in the loss column plus tiebreaker). Denver, Phoenix both have much to play for and Clips aren't flying to the eastern conf and going 2-0 against playoff teams next week.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:42 am

3rd is still safe.

Clippers have 4 road games against decent teams and a Hornets team that has actually been playing decent lol. LA has two tough games against SAS and OKC but they can lose both of those so long as they take care of the Warriors and the Kings. A 2-2 finish from LA and a 3-2 finish from the Clippers would keep LA in the 3rd spot.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby jamabile on Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:52 am

We need to win this game tomorrow night against Golden State. Hopefully by Friday Kobe can come back and we can have him against the Spurs. If we take 2 out of three against the Spurs, (best base scenario given tonight's disaster of a game) we should be fine. I honestly think we can beat them on Friday with a almost to full healthy Kobe, get the win against Golden State, and Sac. Okc is a tossup. If we can go 3-1 during this stretch to close out the season and OKC and reclaim the top spot, we should be in good shape.
jamabile

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:38 am

I still prefer a tougher 1st round series against Grizz and a 2nd round against SAS than OKC in the semi finals with having to play a back to back
wcsoldier81

Postby Scnottaken on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:53 am

There's only one reason why I would not want a playoff series against OKC. . . the reffing.
I want to hear "Beat LA" chants at a Clipper vs Laker game
Scnottaken

Postby kray28 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:56 am

Scnottaken wrote:There's only one reason why I would not want a playoff series against OKC. . . the reffing.

With Drew getting the Shaq treatment inside, and the Kobe rules for whichever opposition Kobe stopper gets sicced on Kobe, the refs can easily manipulate a Laker loss to the worst team in the league if they wanted to.

What the Lakers can do to overcome it has always been to simply play better and tougher. Make shots....despite contact, play smart and use the opponents aggression against them, and play together and make each other better.
kray28

Postby The Rock on Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:43 pm

Better not freakin blow it tonight.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby XXIV on Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:37 pm

We HAVE to win this game tonight considering how it's probably the easiest game we have left. If we lose tonight we drop down to the 4th seed.
XXIV

Postby kray28 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:17 pm

XXIV wrote:We HAVE to win this game tonight considering how it's probably the easiest game we have left. If we lose tonight we drop down to the 4th seed.

Clip joint down six to the Nougat at halftime.
kray28

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion