Lakers standing in Western Conf. Discussion

Re: Lakers standing in Western Conf. Discussion

Postby Bill_1989 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:12 pm

I hope the Lakers are matched up against Denver in the first round. Even though the season series with Dallas was a sweep, Dallas scares me for some reason (though the guys that really killed the Lakers last year--Chandler, Barea, Stojokavich--are no longer there). In close games, Nowitzki and Terry are two players I fear. On the other hand, I don't see Denver as a legitimate concern.

A couple of weeks ago, I would have wanted the Lakers to play San Antonio over OKC, but after seeing them get demolished twice in less than a week, I hope the Lakers can avoid San Antonio. OKC will be the likely second round match-up. Losing Artest is a big blow in stopping Durant. I hate that he had to go and be an idiot right when things were looking up for him. I think he's a great team player and brings a lot of intangibles. However, if the Lakers can make it a half-court struggle, I wonder if OKC will be able to find enough scoring to beat them four times.
Bill_1989

Postby Showtime'sDynasty on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Bill_1989 wrote:I hope the Lakers are matched up against Denver in the first round. Even though the season series with Dallas was a sweep, Dallas scares me for some reason (though the guys that really killed the Lakers last year--Chandler, Barea, Stojokavich--are no longer there). In close games, Nowitzki and Terry are two players I fear. On the other hand, I don't see Denver as a legitimate concern.

A couple of weeks ago, I would have wanted the Lakers to play San Antonio over OKC, but after seeing them get demolished twice in less than a week, I hope the Lakers can avoid San Antonio. OKC will be the likely second round match-up. Losing Artest is a big blow in stopping Durant. I hate that he had to go and be an idiot right when things were looking up for him. I think he's a great team player and brings a lot of intangibles. However, if the Lakers can make it a half-court struggle, I wonder if OKC will be able to find enough scoring to beat them four times.

At worst, it will only be 2 games we lose him for. Both in OKC
Showtime'sDynasty

Postby Bill_1989 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:25 pm

Well, if he's out for 7 games, they could potentially lose him for Game 3 as well (if the Lakers sweep the first round, which I doubt this season).

I don't think the Lakers could afford to go down 2-0 to the Thunder this year. Not saying they can't win without Artest or that he is the "difference-maker," but I do think it makes it harder, in a series where they're already going to have to play their A game to stand a chance.
Bill_1989

Postby Showtime'sDynasty on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:26 pm

The Rock wrote:
karacha wrote:
The Rock wrote:Westbrook and Durant are playing heavy mins vs the Kings today which means they should be rested tomorrow vs DEN.

I don't understand this part.

haha oops I think I worded it wrong. I meant they wont play much tomorrow. Theres nothing to play for tomorrow for them

If I was them, I'd play my *** off. They win, they play Denver in the 1st round. They lose, they prob play Dallas.
Showtime'sDynasty

Postby Bill_1989 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:34 pm

Showtime'sDynasty wrote:If I was them, I'd play my *** off. They win, they play Denver in the 1st round. They lose, they prob play Dallas.

I could be wrong, but I think both OKC and the Lakers are locked into their spots. Who gets Dallas vs. who gets Denver depends on how those teams finish. I hope Denver wins out so they draw the Lakers.
Bill_1989

Postby Showtime'sDynasty on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:41 pm

Bill_1989 wrote:
Showtime'sDynasty wrote:If I was them, I'd play my *** off. They win, they play Denver in the 1st round. They lose, they prob play Dallas.

I could be wrong, but I think both OKC and the Lakers are locked into their spots. Who gets Dallas vs. who gets Denver depends on how those teams finish. I hope Denver wins out so they draw the Lakers.

This is my point. OKC plays Denver tomorrow. If OKC wins, they will move Denver to that 7th spot and face them in the first round. If Denver wins, they will prob stay in that 6th seed and OKC will have to play Dallas.

Unfortunately, OKC controls who they play and who we play in the 1st round. I would much rather play Denver if I was them; ergo, I would play my *** off tomorrow.
Last edited by Showtime'sDynasty on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Showtime'sDynasty

Postby scheven on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:42 pm

I don't know bout you guys but I want us to play Dallas. We swept them in the regular season and we'll do the same in the playoffs. Like Pac said, revenge is the sweetest joy next to getting ______. Unless of course, we're tanking two games so MWP gets to play the entire second round.
scheven

Postby Bill_1989 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:43 pm

This is my point. OKC plays Denver tomorrow. If OKC wins, they will move Denver to that 7th spot and face them in the first round. If Denver wins, they will prob stay in that 6th seed and OKC will have to play Dallas.

Ah gotcha. Didn't realize OKC played Denver tomorrow. I might watch that one.
Bill_1989

Postby wallangong on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:27 pm

i'm praying we face Denver in the first round strictly for the fact that I can go to games 3 and 4 if the series is in Denver. i really have no worries about either matchup.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby LakerFan1235 on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:32 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I think Ebanks did a decent job on durant on Sunday, obviously he wasn't the complete reason why durant shot 33%, but I could see Ebanks putting up a good fight.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby kosstick on Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:42 pm

LakerFan1235 wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I think Ebanks did a decent job on durant on Sunday, obviously he wasn't the complete reason why durant shot 33%, but I could see Ebanks putting up a good fight.

Lol i know what you mean bro but I don't want to rely on a sophomore to contain a BEAST like Durant.
kosstick

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:54 pm

Doc Brown wrote:Don't worry Clips will lose in Hotlanta on Tuesday.

Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby dj vitus on Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:05 pm

OKC should win so they get HCA against Miami, should they face each other in the Finals.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:26 am

dj vitus wrote:

OKC should win so they get HCA against Miami, should they face each other in the Finals.

OKC has already clinched the HCA against the Heat even with a loss against Denver ... if both teams finished 47-19 , they went 1-1 in their matchup this season so the tiebreaker would go to the team with the better record against the opposite Conference ... OKC record against the East> Heat record against the West
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:33 am

Showtime'sDynasty wrote:Unfortunately, OKC controls who they play and who we play in the 1st round. I would much rather play Denver if I was them; ergo, I would play my *** off tomorrow.

Not really ... if Denver wants the 7th seed , all they have to do is tank their last two games and Dallas can tank their last game too if they want to face OKC ( expecting Denver goes at least 1-1).

I think Denver would rather play us and Dallas would want to face OKC so I expect Dallas to lose at ATL if Denver lost against OKC tonight
wcsoldier81

Postby Alcindor on Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:46 am

A bud suggested to me that if we went up 3-0 on say Denver, do we really want to sweep them and not have Ron who is very effective against KD for 2 games vs the Thunder? I personally can't see the point in tanking if the unit is jelling like that.Too risky. But I see his point I just don't think Brown would ever do that.
Alcindor

Postby therealdeal on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:05 am

Alcindor wrote:A bud suggested to me that if we went up 3-0 on say Denver, do we really want to sweep them and not have Ron who is very effective against KD for 2 games vs the Thunder? I personally can't see the point in tanking if the unit is jelling like that.Too risky. But I see his point I just don't think Brown would ever do that.

It's the playoffs. You play to win every game.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Original 81 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:13 am

LakerFan1235 wrote:I don't know about you guys, but I think Ebanks did a decent job on durant on Sunday, obviously he wasn't the complete reason why durant shot 33%, but I could see Ebanks putting up a good fight.

Ebanks definitely did a solid job, but Durant also missed a few that you would expect him to make.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:36 am

MWP can pick Durant's pocket, so he'll force some turnovers against him. But the key to guarding Durant is a long lanky defender like Odom or Ariza, or Ebanks. A big tough guy like Artest makes Durant into a jumpshooter, which is what you don't want. A tall lanky guy plays him close enough so that he misses some of those jumpers. Barnes and Ebanks are probably the right team-tag for Durant.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Magic Skywalker on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 am

Barnes cannot guard Durant, he's just not good enough on defense (he's not bad, but Ron is a lot better, and Ebanks, if he does what he did last game on a constant basis, then he's also better)
@MagicSkywalker Basketamericano
Magic Skywalker

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:46 am

Barnes can't guard the best SFs in the game ala Bron, Melo, KD, Pierce ... he's a good but not great defender and has absolutely no respect from the refs ... while Ron reputation on D allows him to get away with some physical contact
wcsoldier81

Postby GoldHammish on Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:21 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Alcindor wrote:A bud suggested to me that if we went up 3-0 on say Denver, do we really want to sweep them and not have Ron who is very effective against KD for 2 games vs the Thunder? I personally can't see the point in tanking if the unit is jelling like that.Too risky. But I see his point I just don't think Brown would ever do that.

It's the playoffs. You play to win every game.

Yup. You NEVER deliberately lose in the playoffs.
GoldHammish

Postby Finwë on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:38 pm

^^ also, if you're 3-0, it should mean you are playing great, and everyone's clicking. In that case, maybe you don't need MWP that bad, and can't risk killing your momentum just to get him back in time for OKC..

Btw, Denver just won, have they locked the 6th seed?
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby karacha on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:46 pm

We're probably not going to sweep anyone, no worries.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:48 pm

Finwë wrote:^^ also, if you're 3-0, it should mean you are playing great, and everyone's clicking. In that case, maybe you don't need MWP that bad, and can't risk killing your momentum just to get him back in time for OKC..

Btw, Denver just won, have they locked the 6th seed?

This should help.

Mike Trudell ‏ @LakersReporter Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Denver, with a W at OKC, now has the inside track to the No. 6 seed & LAL in Round 1. Need a W at MIN or DAL L at ATL.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion