Lakers standing in Western Conf. Discussion

Re: Lakers standing in Western Conf. Discussion

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:09 am

I knew tomorrow game was big but not this important. Good stuff guys, thanks for the standings update. I was beginning to think about this very topic.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby King of Clutch on Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:58 am

I was searching for this thread for a while now, but couldn't find it. But yea, if we win tomorrow we'll be tied with utah for 8th seed. Utah plays GSW and minny plays houston. If utah and minnesota lose, which I think can be possible, lakers would move into the 7th seed!!! Can you BELIEVE that?!?! After ALL of that doom and gloom stuff, and sports writers all over the world saying we won't even make the playoffs about a week ago, We could be 7th in the west tomorrow with PLENTY of time to move up. Things seems to be changing in almost a blink of an eye.
King of Clutch

Postby karacha on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:24 am

There's plenty of time. We'll make the playoffs. We just need Nash to be healthy and build some chemistry ASAP. We won't be a #1 or #2 seed, but hey... we had too many setbacks this season, it's OK.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:38 am

A win tonight puts us at tied for 8th, but officially 9th since we've lost both games against the Jazz this season.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:52 pm

therealdeal wrote:A win tonight puts us at tied for 8th, but officially 9th since we've lost both games against the Jazz this season.

And Utah and GS play tonight so a loss for either team will benefit us.
XXIV

Postby jOeyB7000 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:38 pm

XXIV wrote:
therealdeal wrote:A win tonight puts us at tied for 8th, but officially 9th since we've lost both games against the Jazz this season.

And Utah and GS play tonight so a loss for either team will benefit us.

Also, Houston plays @ Minny tonight. Another win-win situation for us as they hold the 6 and 7 spots, respectively.

Tonight's game will have a big impact in the standings. We are only 2 games back in the loss column from the 6th spot.
jOeyB7000

Postby jOeyB7000 on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:49 pm

Games to keep an eye on Wednesday 12/26/12

10.LAKERS (14-14) @ 8.Denver (15-14)
5.Golden State (18-10) @ 9.Utah (15-14)
6.Houston (15-12) @ 7.Minnesota (13-12)

5. Warriors 18-10
6. Rockets 15-12
7. T'wolves 13-12
8. Nuggets 15-14
----------------------------
9. Jazz 15-14
10. LAKERS 14-14
11. Blazers 13-13
12. Mavs 12-16
jOeyB7000

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:51 pm

karacha wrote:There's plenty of time. We'll make the playoffs. We just need Nash to be healthy and build some chemistry ASAP. We won't be a #1 or #2 seed, but hey... we had too many setbacks this season, it's OK.

I disagree. With Nash back and the way we're playing a #1/#2 seed isn't out of reach. Last season we got off to an awful start and still finished #3.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:07 pm

San Antonio lost 16 games last season because it was a lock out year, adjusted for a full season they lost closer to 20 games.

Obviously we're not going to win 62 games (which would require going 48-6) so I doubt we'll sniff the 1st seed. 2nd seed is a little more feasible but that would still take something like going 44-10. You need a deep bench to pull off stuff like that, we just don't have one

I think we'll get the 4th seed if this team doesn't suffer any more major injuries.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby kenzo on Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:22 pm

I want to face the Clipps in the 1st round. Magic recently called them a Showtime team, i would love to obliterate that Showtime :man9:
kenzo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:10 pm

lakerswiz wrote:
And the Clippers and Thunder are both on pace to finish with a better record than San Antonio did last year.

You think there's a chance the Clippers keep winning at a 14 game win streak pace? ...
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby King of Clutch on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:10 pm

I honestly see us getting as high as 4, if everything goes our way. Because the past 2 years has proven that S.A will always win boatloads of games in the regular season, okc is just too good to falter out of the top 3, and the clippers seems to be like san antonio. If I would bet on a team faltering record wise late in the season, it'll be memphis. They've struggled a bit recently, including getting blown out by 20+ by houston.

But with that being said, I would rather we stick to the 6th see. I think San antonio may have that 3rd seed locked up when playoff time comes. And I think we should look to matchup with them to start off the playoffs. If we can get in the top 3 and end up facing bottom feeder west teams, by all means I think we should go for it. But if not, i'll take S.A over any of the other top 4 west teams.
King of Clutch

Postby King of Clutch on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:16 pm

therealdeal wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:
And the Clippers and Thunder are both on pace to finish with a better record than San Antonio did last year.

You think there's a chance the Clippers keep winning at a 14 game win streak pace? ...

Their 14 straight wins are against 13 teams, only three of which would make the playoffs as of today -- the Bulls, 7th place Minny & 8th place Denver. I'm not knocking their talent because they've had great wins earlier this season. But this 14 straight win streak isn't too impressive. Our last two wins were better teams than any of those 13 teams they played to get those 14 straight wins.
King of Clutch

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:29 pm

King of Clutch wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:

Their 14 straight wins are against 13 teams, only three of which would make the playoffs as of today -- the Bulls, 7th place Minny & 8th place Denver. I'm not knocking their talent because they've had great wins earlier this season. But this 14 straight win streak isn't too impressive. Our last two wins were better teams than any of those 13 teams they played to get those 14 straight wins.

I wasn't saying one way or another how I felt about their streak, only that their pace is not indicative of where they will be at the end of the year. There's no way they keep winning games at this rate. Whether it's because they're playing inferior competition like you said or because it's simply impossible to keep up that pace in the NBA they're not going to duplicate this record over their next games of an equal amount.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:39 pm

68-14 would be insanity :man10:

I'd guess they could finish in the 50s pretty well though. Out of the last 54 games they'd have to win 28 of them (52%).

For the real LA to get there we'd have to go 38-16. Actually that's not impossible if we stay healthy.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby King of Clutch on Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:40 pm

therealdeal wrote:
King of Clutch wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:

I wasn't saying one way or another how I felt about their streak, only that their pace is not indicative of where they will be at the end of the year. There's no way they keep winning games at this rate. Whether it's because they're playing inferior competition like you said or because it's simply impossible to keep up that pace in the NBA they're not going to duplicate this record over their next games of an equal amount.

I agree with you. I brought up opposing teams record to show why they won't win at this rate. They won't play teams of this talent for this many amount of games. They'll have their rough stretches as well.
King of Clutch

Postby Finwë on Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:08 pm

karacha wrote:There's plenty of time. We'll make the playoffs. We just need Nash to be healthy and build some chemistry ASAP. We won't be a #1 or #2 seed, but hey... we had too many setbacks this season, it's OK.

This.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:24 am

Tough schedule in January .... we still may be stuck at 0.50 ball after 46 games

Fri 28 vs Portland

January
Tue 1 vs Philadelphia

Fri 4 @ L.A. Clippers

Sun 6 vs Denver

Tue 8 @ Houston

Wed 9 @ San Antonio

Fri 11 vs Oklahoma City

Sun 13 vs Cleveland

Tue 15 vs Milwaukee

Thu 17 vs Miami

Sun 20 @ Toronto

Mon 21 @ Chicago

Wed 23 @ Memphis

Fri 25 vs Utah

Sun 27 vs Oklahoma City

Tue 29 vs New Orleans

Wed 30 @ Phoenix
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:31 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:San Antonio lost 16 games last season because it was a lock out year, adjusted for a full season they lost closer to 20 games.

Obviously we're not going to win 62 games (which would require going 48-6) so I doubt we'll sniff the 1st seed. 2nd seed is a little more feasible but that would still take something like going 44-10. You need a deep bench to pull off stuff like that, we just don't have one

I think we'll get the 4th seed if this team doesn't suffer any more major injuries.

We are 14-15 after playing a very favorable part of our schedule ... getting the 4th seed ain't happening unless Memphis has a major injury ... the 5th seed is a stretch , unfortunately I think we are going to end up between 6 and 8
wcsoldier81

Postby JGC on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:36 am

King of Clutch wrote:
therealdeal wrote:
lakerswiz wrote:

That's ridiculous to say a 14 game winning streak isn't impressive. I don't care if you play the Wizards 14 straight times, if you win them all then that is impressive.

They've won as many games in a row, as this alleged contender has been able to patch together ALL season long. They won as many road games in that streak, as we have ALL season long.

I think it's crazy to say that any 2 game win streak is more impressive than any 14 game win streak in the same league even if it is different opponents. Plus, most teams never even experience a 14-game win streak in the regular season... it just doesn't happen very often. You know why? Because. It's difficult.
JGC

Postby dj vitus on Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:55 am

Lakers standing? Or faltering? :man10:

Seriously, though, I'm predicting we attain the 6th seed. GS and Memphis will probably battle for 4 and 5; too far to catch them. Top 3 will stay top 3. Hopefully we get the Clips in the 1st round. :man9:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:07 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:San Antonio lost 16 games last season because it was a lock out year, adjusted for a full season they lost closer to 20 games.

We are 14-15 after playing a very favorable part of our schedule ... getting the 4th seed ain't happening unless Memphis has a major injury ... the 5th seed is a stretch , unfortunately I think we are going to end up between 6 and 8

Its clear Nash will determine this team's success. We are healthy right now so I expect us to win games. Its funny to me how down people are on the team after losing a game they probably weren't going to win.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby LooN3y on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:36 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:

Its clear Nash will determine this team's success. We are healthy right now so I expect us to win games. Its funny to me how down people are on the team after losing a game they probably weren't going to win.

yea, but you cant disagree that we should of been over .500 even if we didnt acquire nash

we're old, but look at the spurs, enough said
LooN3y

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:38 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:

Oh I agree ... but making up 7 games in the loss column to the Grizz with the type of schedule we have in Jan-Feb is going to be a HUGE task...
wcsoldier81

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:53 am

I'm pretty sure the Grizzlies will cool off, they're playing at a 57 win rate right now and I doubt you will need 57 wins to take the 4th seed. Either way it will be really close and probably come down to the final few games.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion