Lakers targeting LeBron James in 2014

Re: Lakers targeting LeBron James in 2014

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:19 am

I don't think LeBron wants to come here, I think he sees better long term success with the Miami Heat, unless the Heat totally choke next season I don't think he's interested in leaving Miami.
Jazzygirl205

Postby THEONE24 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:33 pm

Yeah, LeBron will play under Kobe's shadow and help him win more titles even though he's trying to surpass him. I'm sure he can't wait to play second fiddle to a 36-year-old Kobe.
THEONE24

Postby THEONE24 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:01 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Jim Bust? Ugh.

Who knows what will happen this upcoming season? Wade looks like he's about to fall off. Bosh has been turned into a shadow of himself.

LeBron might not want to stick around over there. It might also sound weird, but he could also make even more money here as a Laker than as a Heat.

And if he gets to choose who he wants to play with, that'll be an interesting pitch. LeBron would at least entertain the idea.

And if the best player in basketball becomes available, you of course make him a pitch. Is he coming? Odds are that he won't. But he'll think about it and the Lakers can make him a great pitch/offer.

let's see how big Lebron's ego is...

offer him more money, give him the choice to pick a running mate and give him the opportunity to lead THREE different teams to the Finals

LeBron won't play under Kobe's shadow. The only way i can see him playing for the Lakers is if Kobe retire next season or gets amnesty, and we both know either one won't happen. The Lakers have a greater chance of getting Carmelo Anthony because he and Kobe are friends.
THEONE24

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:10 pm

Pass.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:14 pm

Don't remember if I've commented in here yet, going all in for LeBron or bust is a stupid plan. All Riley has to do is keep putting a good enough team around him in Miami to keep winning and he'll never leave there. Riley will do it too, he'll let Wade expire or trade him and Bosh and make them keep rolling along. Meanwhile we'll have Nash, maybe a cheaper, older Kobe, and nobody else.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Weezy wrote:Don't remember if I've commented in here yet, going all in for LeBron or bust is a stupid plan. All Riley has to do is keep putting a good enough team around him in Miami to keep winning and he'll never leave there. Riley will do it too, he'll let Wade expire or trade him and Bosh and make them keep rolling along. Meanwhile we'll have Nash, maybe a cheaper, older Kobe, and nobody else.

That's silly Weezy.

We could stretch Nash out and so we might not even have him. That means absolutely straight cap space for 2014 besides our draft pick. Then we have room for literally 3 max contracts. Convince someone solid to join up, advertise that we can have Kobe back with whatever money is left over and show that we can have a "Bosh" so to speak, a Kobe, and a LeBron if he wants it. If not, we still have enough room to sign up solid guys and swing again next season for Rondo/Love.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:54 pm

JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby strategos on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:06 pm

JSM wrote:Image

:man10:

sums up my feelings pretty well
strategos

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:53 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Weezy wrote:Don't remember if I've commented in here yet, going all in for LeBron or bust is a stupid plan. All Riley has to do is keep putting a good enough team around him in Miami to keep winning and he'll never leave there. Riley will do it too, he'll let Wade expire or trade him and Bosh and make them keep rolling along. Meanwhile we'll have Nash, maybe a cheaper, older Kobe, and nobody else.

That's silly Weezy.

We could stretch Nash out and so we might not even have him. That means absolutely straight cap space for 2014 besides our draft pick. Then we have room for literally 3 max contracts. Convince someone solid to join up, advertise that we can have Kobe back with whatever money is left over and show that we can have a "Bosh" so to speak, a Kobe, and a LeBron if he wants it. If not, we still have enough room to sign up solid guys and swing again next season for Rondo/Love.

Sorry real, we just have to agree to disagree here. I don't see LeBron coming here in a million years, he loves Miami and they love him, why risk coming here where Kobe is king and being compared to him or disliked if he fails here? I also cannot see him ever teaming up with Kobe, these guys are too big personalities, too much alpha males to work together IMO. Also, yes, Nash could be gone, we could have no one on the books, but I cannot see Kobe ever signing here for "whatever is left" after getting 3 max type guys. Kobe wants to win, but he also has a ton of pride, I can't see him taking the minimum, the mini MLE, the MLE, or anything close to it to stay. I really can't see him taking less than 10 to 15 mil, just too much pride. If we let Kobe go this offseason, don't offer him a deal, and tell LeBron this can be his team and his team alone with whoever else we sign to join him that's one thing, but I just can't see it. I agree about 2015 though, I like that class better, would take Rondo and Love (or Aldridge) in a second.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:04 pm

Yeah that 2015 FA class is pretty good.. At PG you have Rondo, Dragic has a player option.. Most of the impact wings can hit the market in 2014 but there's some really good bigs in the 2015 class too. Love, LMA, Hibbert, Lopez, Marc, Chandler, Gortat.
lakersin4

Postby Helljumper on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:35 pm

I'm confused by this thread. Haven't we known that this was going to be the plan for a while? Clear out the books so we can go after the best max free agents we can possibly get? And why do I keep hearing that it's impossible to build a team from scratch when you have the full cap to work with? That's exactly what Miami did to build an instant contender.
Helljumper

Postby DarthRekal on Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:43 pm

lakersin4 wrote:Yeah that 2015 FA class is pretty good.. At PG you have Rondo, Dragic has a player option.. Most of the impact wings can hit the market in 2014 but there's some really good bigs in the 2015 class too. Love, LMA, Hibbert, Lopez, Marc, Chandler, Gortat.

Love comes back home.. i'll take Hibbert and KB24... for one last ride :jam2:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em

DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:07 pm

DarthRekal wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:Yeah that 2015 FA class is pretty good.. At PG you have Rondo, Dragic has a player option.. Most of the impact wings can hit the market in 2014 but there's some really good bigs in the 2015 class too. Love, LMA, Hibbert, Lopez, Marc, Chandler, Gortat.

Love comes back home.. i'll take Hibbert and KB24... for one last ride :jam2:

This is why I am really curious just how good we get after the 2014 off-season because a lot of the real great talent will be restricted free agents. I'm not sure with all the CAP we will have whether or not we should use it all and just save some for 2015?
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby paperplanes on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:35 pm

Helljumper wrote:I'm confused by this thread. Haven't we known that this was going to be the plan for a while? Clear out the books so we can go after the best max free agents we can possibly get? And why do I keep hearing that it's impossible to build a team from scratch when you have the full cap to work with? That's exactly what Miami did to build an instant contender.

if you look at who is unrestricted in 2014, there isn't anyone worth getting. The restricted FA will all be retained by their respected teams because they will get the max, so there is no " poison pill" contract. So no one will be leaving there team. The other marquee players are available if they opt out of their current contract, a big if, most likely to sign a longer contract.
Miami, happened because wade, lebron and bosh all talked about joining up and miami and all were unrestricted.
A good example of what might happen is Dallas. They had all the cap space in the world a couple of seasons ago trying to get Dwight and chris paul. They had to scamble last minute with one year contracts and had to do it again last off season.
Trades will be the only way to get a top level player and if we don't have anyone on the roster, no trade...
2015 has some good unrestricted FA, but they might sign an extension by then.
paperplanes

Postby Kangaroo Grandkid on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:32 pm

Sorry, but a lot of the options you guys are advocating for are just... bleh. LeBron will be on the wrong side of 30, and he's LeBron. Greatest player right now, but he's still a douche. Can't root for him. Rondo? No frakking way! He's one Those Guys.
Kangaroo Grandkid

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:56 pm

^ So was Shaw and so was Rick Fox.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:03 pm

paperplanes wrote:2015 has some good unrestricted FA, but they might sign an extension by then.

Then the Lakers should let it be known that we're gunning for 2015. That way if any superstars want to team up, they can start talking right now instead of signing their lives away too early. :man13:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Jazzygirl205 wrote:I don't think LeBron wants to come here, I think he sees better long term success with the Miami Heat, unless the Heat totally choke next season I don't think he's interested in leaving Miami.

^^ Agreed. I don't see it happening.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kangaroo Grandkid on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:35 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ So was Shaw and so was Rick Fox.

I didn't watch basketball from '93-'99 (rough time in my life... didn't have much time for fun). When I did start watching again, it was more casual.

I'd like to say, "touche" for you playing a good one, but I can't. There are some players that I just can't bring myself to root for. LeBron and Rondo happen to be two of them.
Kangaroo Grandkid

Postby Aonex on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:10 am

therealdeal wrote:^ So was Shaw and so was Rick Fox.

Those guys were role players, not the franchise player, so different responsibilities. Plus, and I admit it's a personal dislike, the guy is just a dbag.

James jumped on the mic to greet the crowd and stood on top of his booth where he was joined by boxer and friend Floyd Mayweather Jr. While shouting out Mayweather to the club, he announced that Floyd should only be called “Money Mayweather” and that he should only be referred to as “King James.”

Read more: http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/ju ... z2YSVtXtq7
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:18 am

Weezy wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

That's silly Weezy.

Sorry real, we just have to agree to disagree here. I don't see LeBron coming here in a million years, he loves Miami and they love him, why risk coming here where Kobe is king and being compared to him or disliked if he fails here? I also cannot see him ever teaming up with Kobe, these guys are too big personalities, too much alpha males to work together IMO. Also, yes, Nash could be gone, we could have no one on the books, but I cannot see Kobe ever signing here for "whatever is left" after getting 3 max type guys. Kobe wants to win, but he also has a ton of pride, I can't see him taking the minimum, the mini MLE, the MLE, or anything close to it to stay. I really can't see him taking less than 10 to 15 mil, just too much pride. If we let Kobe go this offseason, don't offer him a deal, and tell LeBron this can be his team and his team alone with whoever else we sign to join him that's one thing, but I just can't see it. I agree about 2015 though, I like that class better, would take Rondo and Love (or Aldridge) in a second.

I'm going to respond to you, but this is more a general statement then an actual rebuttal to your post.

I'm not saying in any way that LeBron is likely to come here, is for sure coming here, or that there's more than a 10% chance he comes here. All I'm saying is that we'd be stupid not to try. Is he easy to root for? No. But he's the best player in the game right now by far and he really seemed to turn the corner in this last post season. When the best player in basketball becomes available, you've GOT to try to get him. Even if it's a long shot. Atlanta tried to get Howard. Same idea here. Except that we're the Lakers and we've almost always got a better shot at anybody than Atlanta.

I just think that if we're really about winning Championships, then we've got to find the best players and try to get them in the purple and gold. Try. I don't think it'll happen. I think there's a few far more likely players we'll get than LeBron, but we've got to try.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:17 pm

2014 plan was supposed to use Dwight to lure in stars. Thats why they gave up all those picks to get him and Nash because they thought they'd have Dwight as the anchor through this. WELP

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:29 pm

The Rock wrote:2014 plan was supposed to use Dwight to lure in stars. Thats why they gave up all those picks to get him and Nash because they thought they'd have Dwight as the anchor through this. WELP

If that was the case we would have hired Phil, fired MDA this offseason, made trades to appease D12, etc. We didn't do any of that to keep the main piece that we are supposed to do to lure stars in 2014?

The FO isn't that stupid, they saw something in Dwight that put them off or they would have done more than a couple billboards.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:31 pm

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 5h
Kobe Bryant told @SerenaWinters that he doesn't "think it's that big of a stretch" to think LeBron James will sign with the Lakers in 2014.

I have this reaction whenever I think of Bron in a Lakers jersey (start at 50 second marker):
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:37 pm

"Your gun is digging into my hip...OOOOH GODDDD..."
Image <-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion