Lakers targeting LeBron James in 2014

Re: Lakers targeting LeBron James in 2014

Postby chingy248 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:31 pm

Rooscooter wrote:Swing for the fences again. Not sure LeBron wants to "start over" on a team that has no young pieces in place. We'll have Kobe and basically nothing else. We'll spend most of if on LeBron and can get maybe one other good player. After that It's the MLE and Vet Minimums.

Building a team in just one offseason isn't happening.

When LBJ decides to setup meetings to decide his Free Agency like dwight did

We should send Dantoni/Jim/Sacre/RKelly
chingy248

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:31 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Azndude2190 wrote:
You can have Durant@27 in 2015.

I don't see him leaving the Thunder, Westbrook is still young and they can attract good players. The only reason I can see LeBron leaving is because everyone on that team is past their prime already and can only get worse

Exactly, plus Durant resents ANY comparisons to Kobe and wants to distance himself from the Kobe persona...he said as much late this season. The LAST thing he wants is to leave a small market team with a big heart for the bright lights big bad Lakers juggernaut and follow in Kobe's wake. NOT HAPPENING!
Last edited by Snakell Beast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:32 pm

Durant said he resented being compared to Kobe and that he wanted to distance himself from that persona?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Azndude2190 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:33 pm

Rooscooter wrote:Swing for the fences again. Not sure LeBron wants to "start over" on a team that has no young pieces in place. We'll have Kobe and basically nothing else. We'll spend most of if on LeBron and can get maybe one other good player. After that It's the MLE and Vet Minimums.

Building a team in just one offseason isn't happening.

Well the Heat did it, but that really was a case where the stars aligned and Lebron, Wade, and Bosh were willing to take less than the max to play together.

But we really do need to stop selling off draft picks left and right. Develop our own young talent(s) and then supplement them with established stars.
A deep man, believes that the evil eye can wither, that the heart's blessing can heal, and that love can overcome all odds.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Azndude2190

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:34 pm

To be fair, Kobe was better last season than any of Lebron's teammates.. Outside of the injury there's no reason to think that won't continue to be the case.. We just need to get 1 more piece that compliments Lebron very well & I think we'd be a good situation for him.
lakersin4

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:36 pm

lakersin4 wrote:To be fair, Kobe was better last season than any of Lebron's teammates.. Outside of the injury there's no reason to think that won't continue to be the case.. We just need to get 1 more piece that compliments Lebron very well & I think we'd be a good situation for him.

If Pau were 4 years younger we'd already have a better version of their big 3 IF LeBron ever came here, which he won't.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:37 pm

Snakell Beast wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
Azndude2190 wrote:

I don't see him leaving the Thunder, Westbrook is still young and they can attract good players. The only reason I can see LeBron leaving is because everyone on that team is past their prime already and can only get worse

Exactly, plus Durant resents ANY comparisons to Kobe and wants to distance himself from the Kobe persona...he said as much late this season. The LAST thing he wants is to leave a small market team with a big heart for the bright lights big bad Lakers juggernaut and follow in Kobe's wake. NOT HAPPENING!

Seems like Kobe really turned all of the young star players against us in those last international games with all of his bragging about getting CP3 & Dwight.. Then Nash & Dwight.. Remember the reports that he was trash talking Durant, Westbrook, Lebron about it? Sadly I think CP3 is the only 1 out of that group of olympic stars that is serious about contending in the way that Kobe is & shares his competitive fire, but Stern made sure that didn't happen.
lakersin4

Postby DarthRekal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:47 pm

Azndude2190 wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Hell yes. I think he's going to be the best player in the league until 32-33 and still be a top 5 player until he's like 36. He's that good

this :jam2:
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby nthydro on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:50 pm

noobiew wrote:Lebron just won back to back titles, MVP and Final MVP, so why on earth would he leave? He's not coming here, stop dreaming Jim Bust

Exactly. And he has his bff Wade in Miami. Barring a monumental failure next season...I'm talking first round exit or Wade getting traded, I don't see any reason for him to leave at all.
nthydro

Postby DuddlyDoRight on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:55 pm

i dont want him here. Hes just as much of a clown as dwight.
NO EXCUSES FOR DWIGHT "I WHINE AND MOAN ALL THE TIME" HOWARD
DuddlyDoRight

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:06 pm

I think Durant should absolutely be plan A.. But Lebron has the option of hitting the market before then.. There has been lots of talk about Durant leaving OKC for a big market that will spend to contend ever since he signed with Jay Z's agency.. If he decides to make himself available in 2015 we're the only 1 of the Knicks/Nets/Lakers/Clips that will have a team for him to come call his own.. I'm not sure how getting Lebron next summer would effect our chances at Durant.. I don't think Durant wants to team up with the 1 guy considered better than him, but then again, who knows? A Kobe/Durant/Lebron big 3 would be the most exciting thing the league has ever seen.. With the right role players we'd be chasing 72-10.
lakersin4

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:09 pm

I don't think Durant is going to stay in OKC if doesn't win a title within the next 3 seasons ( end of his current contract) ... summer 2016 though , not 2015

This is quite a stretch but I think KD is our most realistic shot at a top 10 player ... the potential upcoming ones as Lillard , Irving or George won't be free agent anytime soon as all of them will be RFA at best
wcsoldier81

Postby chingy248 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:14 pm

Isn't Durant with Jay- Z know?
chingy248

Postby Snake Eyes on Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:17 pm

chingy248 wrote:Isn't Durant with Jay- Z know?

Yep
Snake Eyes

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:26 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:

Yep

But Jay-Z doesn't handle his contract talks. Jay-Z is more of his marketing person/expert
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby chingy248 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:29 pm

Battle Tested20 wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:

Yep

But Jay-Z doesn't handle his contract talks. Jay-Z is more of his marketing person/expert

and he'll have the power to persuade him to go from the smallest jarket to the biggest $$$
chingy248

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:37 pm

if he wins again this season hes not leaving. if he loses he still isnt leaving. seriously hope we dont bank on him coming and dont make any moves until we here a 100% no bc that would be idiotic...but it is jim buss so....
Ariza3

Postby Savory Griddles on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:20 pm

I think James will opt out, but only to sign a longer contract. The one thing this article did shed light on was the "stretch provision" which I had never heard of before. Had anyone else? That leaves us with a lot of room next season...unfortunately, 2014 crap outside of Lebron. 2015 is the year. Rondo, Love, Aldridge? We get two of those three and some good role players we are back in business.
Savory Griddles

Postby KentuckyLaker on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:48 pm

Listen, if we could land LeBron or Durant in purple and gold, I'd be the happiest man on Earth- but it just isn't happening. I think we should try to sign a couple of young talented guys, say John Wall and Kevin Love for instance, try to get to about a 4-5 seed with them, THEN swing for the fences. Hard to rebuild the whole thing from scratch in one offseason.
"Everything negative- pressure, challenges -is all an opportunity for me to rise. "

- Kobe Bryant

Bred and raised in the hills of Eastern Kentucky, following the Lakers and UK Wildcats for life.
KentuckyLaker

Postby BDG on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:54 pm

LOL at the idea that LeBron would bolt from Miami after he just won TWO championships.

Even if they lose this year, it's not that big of a big deal.

This "plan" is beyond stupid. I really hope this isn't Plan A from ownership.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:57 pm

BDG wrote:LOL at the idea that LeBron would bolt from Miami after he just won TWO championships.

I think it's a "cover story" for the fact that we're going to rebuild.

Will the Lakers try to find max FA's like Lebron and try to court them first? I'm sure they'll try, but I doubt they expect anything out of it.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby BDG on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:28 pm

^ True, but I just hope people see through it.

We're NOT getting LeBron and if we think we are, then we're stupid.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby GNC on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:34 pm

BDG wrote:LOL at the idea that LeBron would bolt from Miami after he just won TWO championships.

Nailed it BDG. LeBron isn't leaving Miami and if this is indeed our plan- well, we are screwed.

Quite frankly the 2014 market isn't that exciting when you consider the fact that a lot of those players are going to be in their late 20's early 30's and many of them are not going to change markets. The prospects that are enticing are mostly restricted free agents, and those offer sheets are going to be matched. So yeah.. hopefully our plan A is something else.
GNC

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:37 pm

What is so stupid about pitching to the best player in the game when he's available? How do you NOT do that?

I know that if LeBron became available and the Lakers DIDN'T make a pitch, I'd be f***ing furious.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:40 pm

It's not about "making a pitch", it's about putting our eggs in one basket.

We can make calls to Lebron, but we also better be looking at ways to acquire young picks and prospects. We better be scouting foreign leagues for overlooked talent like the Spurs do, etc, etc. Hope for the best (Lebron), while preparing for what's most likely to happen (rebuild).
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion