Lakers targeting LeBron James in 2014

Re: Lakers targeting LeBron James in 2014

Postby Aonex on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:41 pm

therealdeal wrote:What is so stupid about pitching to the best player in the game when he's available? How do you NOT do that?

I know that if LeBron became available and the Lakers DIDN'T make a pitch, I'd be f***ing furious.

Nothing at all wrong with making a pitch, I just hope that we're not banking on him coming, and have an actual alternative plan.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby GNC on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:42 pm

therealdeal wrote:What is so stupid about pitching to the best player in the game when he's available? How do you NOT do that?

I know that if LeBron became available and the Lakers DIDN'T make a pitch, I'd be f***ing furious.

Nothing wrong with making a pitch.. but don't get your hopes up/bank on it. Pursuing other avenues is necessary.

If this is what we are banking on , more likely than not, we are going to be really disappointed.
GNC

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:44 pm

Of course we do. But the Plan A should OF COURSE be trying to land LeBron. That's GOT to be Plan A.

I'm sure Plan B is something else. Why would our ONLY plan be to get LeBron? That's just silly.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:48 pm

The old adage...throw something at the wall and see if it sticks. It is worth a try BUT he stays in South Beach.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:57 pm

gcclaker wrote:The old adage...throw something at the wall and see if it sticks. It is worth a try BUT he stays in South Beach.

Obviously it's a long shot, but between the two places I think Los Angeles is a better place to be as far as locations. If we somehow grab another star first... and then we're looking at ____ star, Kobe for cheap, money left over for even if LeBron signed...

It's an attractive prospect for sure.

I agree that it's an incredibly long shot, but it MUST be made.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:01 pm

therealdeal wrote:
gcclaker wrote:The old adage...throw something at the wall and see if it sticks. It is worth a try BUT he stays in South Beach.

Obviously it's a long shot, but between the two places I think Los Angeles is a better place to be as far as locations. If we somehow grab another star first... and then we're looking at ____ star, Kobe for cheap, money left over for even if LeBron signed...

It could happen. Wade looks to be deteriorating as time goes on. Bosh? He might go for a the money grab elsewhere. James would still be at his peak. For all his coaching hire foibles, Buss does have a knack for hatching deals. If THAT happens, I'm in. It's the name on the front of the jersey...not the back. It's not as if James has the Vick stigma type of rep anyway.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:16 pm

gcclaker wrote:
therealdeal wrote:

It could happen. Wade looks to be deteriorating as time goes on. Bosh? He might go for a the money grab elsewhere. James would still be at his peak. For all his coaching hire foibles, Buss does have a knack for hatching deals. If THAT happens, I'm in. It's the name on the front of the jersey...not the back. It's not as if James has the Vick stigma type of rep anyway.

Exactly. He's the best player in basketball and while I'm not a great fan of his, it's about LA being successful and that's the most important thing.

I'm not sure who would be the guy we would sign before LeBron to convince him to give us a look, but there's a few that would probably appeal to him. I'd have to do some more research though.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Cleansed on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:44 pm

I'd rather lose without Lebron than win with him. The idea of seeing Lebron in a Lakers jersey makes me want to stop watching basketball temporarily.

Sometimes there is honor and pride in the struggle. As a fan i'm willing to support our team through the lean years. Bringing in Lebron wouldn't make me stop supporting the Lakers but it would severely diminish my enthusiasm for the Lakers temporarily.
Last edited by Cleansed on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:46 pm

The path to becoming a team Lebron is interested in next summer is simple.. Get Phil Jackson as involved as we possibly can.. Bringing back all of the 09 Lakers like we seem to be trying to do is a good start too.. Rebuild that image & remind these kids who we are.. If we do that, we'll have a much better shot at selling Lebron or any other superstar on coming here.
lakersin4

Postby jbum on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:52 pm

Cant see myself being a lakers fan if lebron comes. Just wont feel the same. Ive been a fan since the 80s and have gone through all of it but lebron will be hard to stomach.
"We've got to be one of the worst "best" teams in league history"

"Good teams stop the other team... not just outscore them. Just look at the Warriors of past and Phoenix. Score, score, score... but we all know the ending there."
jbum

Postby OX1947 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:05 pm

lakersin4 wrote:The path to becoming a team Lebron is interested in next summer is simple.. Get Phil Jackson as involved as we possibly can.. Bringing back all of the 09 Lakers like we seem to be trying to do is a good start too.. Rebuild that image & remind these kids who we are.. If we do that, we'll have a much better shot at selling Lebron or any other superstar on coming here.

Lakers have a year to get their plans in order. They will be a lottery team this year and hopefully, with some luck, get a top 5 pick and rebuild from there in hopes for 2015, getting Irving and Durant.
OX1947

Postby LTLakerFan on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:25 pm

If he opts out in 2014 is he unrestricted or Miami can match? But the chances of this are next to zero.
LTLakerFan

Postby Barnstable on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:30 pm

Cleansed wrote:I'd rather lose without Lebron than win with him. The idea of seeing Lebron in a Lakers jersey makes me want to stop watching basketball temporarily.

Sometimes there is honor and pride in the struggle. As a fan i'm willing to support our team through the lean years. Bringing in Lebron wouldn't make me stop supporting the Lakers but it would severely diminish my enthusiasm for the Lakers temporarily.

QF motha****** T :bow: :bow: :bow:

F that dude and I want him nowhere near a Lakers uniform.

Would Kobe ever do this s***?
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

Postby Alleyhoops on Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:38 am

Ugh. I have to take a shower just thinking about him in P&G. No thank you. Unless it' s a three team deal for someone like Lillard and pieces/picks. Otherwise, NOPE.
Alleyhoops

Postby Nashty Gal on Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:17 am

ugh NO I don't want lebron :disagree:
The Black Mamba and the White Swan
Kobe on talk with Pau about being more aggressive, "it's against his nature, he's always very nice, very white swan, I need him to be black swan"

http://www.thesexysaxman.com
Nashty Gal

Postby Finwë on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:19 am

Barnstable wrote:

Oh LAWD that is shameful.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:37 am

Kobe pitch : "let me teach you to win not 1 , not 2 , not 3 but 4 and 5 ... oh and you're playing 2nd fiddle to me and MDA is your coach "

Lebron : " Ok , see you in next February at the ASG "
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:40 am

Cleansed wrote:I'd rather lose without Lebron than win with him. The idea of seeing Lebron in a Lakers jersey makes me want to stop watching basketball temporarily.

Ok ... 1st fans are happy with D12 leaving , now they don't want Lebron ... the only goal as a Lakers fan should be number 17 and 18 ... everything else is losers talk
wcsoldier81

Postby kakafung on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:15 am

how about signing melo
honestly i prefer melo than jame
it's all known that melo and kobe built special relationship in the national team
and melo still pursuing his first ring ,
kakafung

Postby earvinfr on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:06 am

kakafung wrote:how about signing melo
it's all known that melo and kobe built special relationship in the national team

I'm with you. I've never been a fan of LJ and the last 2 titles didn't change anything. I remember all those of us joking him a few years ago and now wants him to play for the Lakers !! Me, i didn't change. Even if he's the best player in this league, I'd prefer to have someone like Melo, Durant, Westbrook or any rising star other than LJ.
Offseason's finished for my long sleeping nights. NBA is back !!
earvinfr

Postby kakafung on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:23 am

earvinfr wrote:
kakafung wrote:how about signing melo

I'm with you. I've never been a fan of LJ and the last 2 titles didn't change anything. I remember all those of us joking him a few years ago and now wants him to play for the Lakers !! Me, i didn't change. Even if he's the best player in this league, I'd prefer to have someone like Melo, Durant, Westbrook or any rising star other than LJ.

yeah i remember once upon a time we were really close to him
more importantly ,if james can make a triple trip in next season
compared theirs winning heart i'll profoundly take melo
kakafung

Postby paperplanes on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:41 am

There is about as much of a chance of Lebron coming to the lakers as Dwight coming back. If he goes anywhere it will be Cleveland.
The only real chance of any top tier talent coming is if they are requesting a trade cuz they are unhappy ala D12 from Orlando.
You have to remember, it's easier to top level free agents when you have good players to begin with. When you have a empty roster you have to get a couple of guys together that have wanted to play together, it's not as easy and it's all about a little luck and good timing.
paperplanes

Postby vaylen on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:34 am

Having nobody on the roster is not attractive to LBJ or any other superstar free agent. Having a roster of Wiggins and other great players who make almost no money IS attractive. That's why LBJ would much rather play on a team with Irving and Waiters. It's also a reason why we need to rebuild with our 2014 #1 pick and whatever picks we can get for Pau. How infuriating would it be if we took the whole "play Kobe the second he can run" and "death before tanking" strategy just to see Boston land Wiggins in the next draft? The Lakers and Celtics might be picking their next Magic and Bird in the 2014 draft.
vaylen

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:47 am

Finwë wrote:
Barnstable wrote:

Oh LAWD that is shameful.

DISGUSTING Where are your balls you big puss. Greatest in history of the planet and built like that and he does that bleep? :man10: :man10: :man10:
LTLakerFan

Postby Barnstable on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:03 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:

Ok ... 1st fans are happy with D12 leaving , now they don't want Lebron ... the only goal as a Lakers fan should be number 17 and 18 ... everything else is losers talk

Speak for yourself.

I don't want to win 17&18 at any cost as if I need to accept players I don't like, just to get a ring. That's more desperation than anything else.

We can win 17 &18 without Lebron.
"league getting mitch-slapped"
Barnstable
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion