Postby emplay on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:06 pm

Hey all,

Here are a few Saturday updates:

Lakers' teammates prefer Kobe Bryant as a willing passer
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 1209.story

Even in victory, Lakers struggling with turnovers and free throws
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 8689.story

Watch: Video breakdown of what isn't working for the Lakers
Coach Nick really breaks it down – Lakers have some serious flaws.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 0277.story

Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash receive Italian national team jerseys
http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... 1719.story

Thanks!

Eric
Check me at at www.HOOPSWORLD.com and on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/EricPincus
emplay
Clublakers Analyst

Re: Lakers' teammates prefer Kobe Bryant as a willing passer

Postby Weezy on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Oh great emplay, like the game didn't give enough fuel to a couple if posters here to not stop harping on it for the rest of the season. :man10:
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:30 pm

Weezy wrote:Oh great emplay, like the game didn't give enough fuel to a couple if posters here to not stop harping on it for the rest of the season. :man10:

:man10:
to be fair...clark, nash, and howard all collectively stressed this point a gajillion times in their post-game interviews
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Well as has been said, you move without the ball, Kobe will pass. You set screens, you cut, you play aggressive, Kobe will pass.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:48 pm

They better like play like they did yesterday then, you have to make Kobe give you a reason for him to be willing passer.
Jazzygirl205

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:56 pm

Weezy wrote:Well as has been said, you move without the ball, Kobe will pass. You set screens, you cut, you play aggressive, Kobe will pass.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby The Rock on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Yea keep talking about offense guys!!!
https://twitter.com/Lockedonsports/status/294852715979366400

Lakers were the 3rd best defensive team in NBA in November - since then they are 25th in the NBA

https://twitter.com/Lockedonsports/status/294861218030686208
Lakers defensive slide has corresponded with a defensive rebounding slide - were #5 def reb team in November since then #21 in NBA

I understand turnovers, missed free throws and lack of shots can impact defense but come on there were some games were shot the lights out and still lost

https://twitter.com/Lockedonsports/status/294843457363660800

Lakers allow 105.8 pts per game on the road and only 97 pts allowed at home

https://twitter.com/Lockedonsports/status/294947840302673921

Dwight Howard better in Hollywood - At Home: 62% 18 pts/14 reb on the Road 52% 15 pts /9 rebs

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby venky on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:00 pm

This is such a joke.

Kobe passes the ball every game. The difference was, his teammates were making their shots yesterday, so Kobe got some assists recorded in the stat sheet.
venky

Postby lakersyunowin on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:13 pm

venky wrote:This is such a joke.

Kobe passes the ball every game. The difference was, his teammates were making their shots yesterday, so Kobe got some assists recorded in the stat sheet.

it's a little of both imo. to me, he was noticeably looking to pass a bit more than usual last night and set guys up (he even said as much in his post-game). it was also helped by the fact that teammates were more engaged, energetic, moving off the ball better, and most importantly...making shots.

on that last point of making shots, i think weezy pointed it out in gameday, but we can only hope this is the end of the pattern of string of horrible games --> one big cathartic game where we're hitting everything at a high clip --> string of horrible games. i'm actually looking forward to tomorrow, to find out if we can put two good games together with consistency, and ultimately seeing what our "new" team spirit can do against a contender.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby ZenMaster4President on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Oh my.

I've been watching this man for 17 years. Enough already.

And I am starting to dislike Howard.
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby lakersin4 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:33 pm

That's funny, cuz Kobe prefers when his teammates actually hit shots & use energy to get open. Maybe if they did that more, we'd see more games like this.
lakersin4

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:28 pm

Kobe at point guard is not the answer. He's going to wear down fast.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby SpencerHarrison on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:14 pm

I think Kobe is still the best all around player in the NBA. I'm a fanboy.

That being said, if you give me a choice of:

A: Losing games on Kobe Iso-ball

B: Losing games on Kobe passes

At this point, with this team, I will take B every single time.

We're already in a hole, we already know the MDT system doesn't work, and we know that this roster isn't built to coexist for a long time. So... Screw it - let's see some Kobe Johnson and see what happens.

*edit*

Also... Honest to god, Kobe is one of a kind. I imagine he must be utterly insufferable to be around socially, but god dammit the man can play basketball and compete. He just reminded Steve Nash how to do his damn job. Before that, he led the NBA in scoring. Next he'll be giving Dwight a masterclass on post moves. Then maybe shift into lockdown defense again. At an age and season tally that would have most players living in a 24/7 ice bath.

He has the weight of a legendary franchise and city on his back every single time he suits up, and he never blinks. I might actually get misty when he hangs it up.
SpencerHarrison

Postby NewDynasty on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:00 am

So why is Nash getting 12 million a year if kobe is going to play pg? I thought the whole point of getting Nash was to make things easier for kobe and company. This is why nash and dantony need to go
NewDynasty

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:18 am

:man10:
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby ElginTheGreat on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:26 am

NewDynasty wrote:So why is Nash getting 12 million a year if kobe is going to play pg? I thought the whole point of getting Nash was to make things easier for kobe and company. This is why nash and dantony need to go

This. If Kobe has to be the facilitator then it really does render the Nash signing kind of pointless to me unless Nash starts scoring more. He is definitely a liability on the defensive end. I really did think that having him out there was going to free things up on offense for everyone. Still time for him to show that, but I think this point is pretty valid.
ElginTheGreat

Postby Cleansed on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:26 am

NewDynasty wrote:So why is Nash getting 12 million a year if kobe is going to play pg? I thought the whole point of getting Nash was to make things easier for kobe and company. This is why nash and dantony need to go

THIS!!!! A million times THIS ^ !

Kobe Bryant is a SHOOTING guard. That is his occupation, That is his job. He is a top 2 guard of ALL TIME and a Top 6 Player of ALL TIME at the very least. He job is to look to score and he does it exceptionally well.

STEVE NASH is , one of the greatest point guards of all time is the one thats supposed to set up the offense and distribute. Thats his occupation. His Job.

So now our SHOOTING GUARD is back to playing POINT GUARD after years of having to play both Michaels role and Scotties role simultaneously despite having a highly paid legendary point guard in Steve Nash?! Isn't that why D'Antoni was hired...so that one of the greatest point Guards of all time could flourish ?! :bang:

For Gods sake ..this season is an effing mess.

Just...ugh....W.....T....F!?

Kobe Bryant is a shooting guard and one of the best ever. Stop trying to handcuff him into the role that other people are paid for.
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby ZenMaster4President on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:29 am

therealdeal wrote::man10:

I can only assume that Eric is trolling... :man10:
Pau Gasol yesterday morning when asked about Dwight Howard: "I haven't called. Calls are expensive."
ZenMaster4President

Postby Cleansed on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:34 am

"When he decides he's going to get assists and find other players, it gets us in our rhythm, gets us ready to shoot, and today guys were knocking down shots and it was a great win," said Clark.

:man3: ...that sounds suspiciously like the job of the POINT GUARD Earl...

So, again, why do we have Nash if Kobe is now the distributor?
"The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses."
You do not see things as they are, you see things as you are.
Cleansed

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:56 am

This team is better with both Nash and Kobe sharing the facilitator role ...

Kobe on the weakside off the ball and spotting up for threes for most of the game isn't efficient ...

Both Nash and Kobe should alternate roles of creator/shooter off the ball during the game ... it will make this team way more dangerous and less predictable .

Keeping in mind , Kobe has to create from the post , this is where he's the most effective from and he won't spend nearly as much energy as from the perimeter...

Kobe has turned way too much into a one dimensional player ala Melo playing with Nash imo ... and it's not like Nash has lived up to his standards in the creating department
wcsoldier81

Postby KB24 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:25 am

Does Kobe shoot too much? absolutely YES
Does Kobe want to shoot a lot? absolutely YES
Does Kobe care more about shooting than winning? absolutely NO. He is stubborn and wants to win "his way" but he isn't willing to sacrifice wins for points.

But in this case, I'm clearly on D'Antoni's side. Ball finds energy. If you want the ball, put yourselves in scoring positions, demand the ball, run the floor, run through screens, post up, get deep positions etc.
Kobe isn't going to be standing around watching others inability to score.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby themasterphil on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:51 am

If Kobe gonna be our PG then move Nash immediately....we dont need him in that case, he is a Pg and if he is not able to play his role as a PG just move him....he is not a PG and he dont play defense, wtf are we talking about here......then find a great defensive PG and finish this story
themasterphil

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:06 am

KB24 wrote:Does Kobe shoot too much? absolutely YES
Does Kobe want to shoot a lot? absolutely YES
Does Kobe care more about shooting than winning? absolutely NO. He is stubborn and wants to win "his way" but he isn't willing to sacrifice wins for points.

But in this case, I'm clearly on D'Antoni's side. Ball finds energy. If you want the ball, put yourselves in scoring positions, demand the ball, run the floor, run through screens, post up, get deep positions etc.
Kobe isn't going to be standing around watching others inability to score.

This a thousand times. I love Kobe.The things he can do at the age of 34 is absolutely amazing (Kobe disclaimer out the way). BUT, if he intends on winning another title, this is how he HAS to play. There are no Smush Parkers, Luke Waltons and Kwame Browns in our lineup anymore. We don't need him to jack up 25+ shots with Nash, Gasol and Howard on the floor. All of those guys are elite players. He needs to allow them to be elite. The question is, can a guy who's been a Top 5 scorer for 17 years, suddenly change his game for the good of the team. Honestly, it's gonna be tough for him to do.
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

Postby Blahdeh Deebatz on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:44 am

Why are people equating Kobe passing the ball with Kobe becoming the point guard? Do people know that all 5 players can pass the basketball, not just the PG?
Blahdeh Deebatz

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:17 am

Blahdeh Deebatz wrote:Why are people equating Kobe passing the ball with Kobe becoming the point guard? Do people know that all 5 players can pass the basketball, not just the PG?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion