Lakers to Wear Short-Sleeve & Also Black Jerseys Next Season

Re: Lakers to Wear Short-Sleeve & Also Black Jerseys Next Season

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:41 pm

I can't stand the black jerseys. They look ridiculous.

The white is at least derivative from the white numbers from back in the day. I'm not a fan at all of the Christmas day uniforms and I certainly am going to hate the black jerseys.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:41 pm

Weezy wrote:I don't know how I feel about the black jerseys. Yeah they look cool and all, but we're the purple and gold, and now we have 2 white jersey variations and a black jersey, seems a bit much.

We'll always be purple & gold. I like the thought of alternates as a change of pace look and management no doubt likes the extra revenue it generates.
Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:43 pm

I don't want black jerseys. We're purple and gold.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
Weezy wrote:I don't know how I feel about the black jerseys. Yeah they look cool and all, but we're the purple and gold, and now we have 2 white jersey variations and a black jersey, seems a bit much.

We'll always be purple & gold. I like the thought of alternates as a change of pace look and management no doubt likes the extra revenue it generates.

And I'm sure the younger generation of basketball players who are suddenly fashion conscious are going to enjoy the thought as well.

I think people are underestimating how this move affects the way young guys perceive the Lakers moving forward.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby XXIV on Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:46 pm

The black jerseys look nice, they're different that's for sure but it would be nice to get something new every once in a while.
XXIV

Postby trodgers on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:04 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:I love the Blacks. :man1:

twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:11 pm

therealdeal wrote:I think people are underestimating how this move affects the way young guys perceive the Lakers moving forward.

And I think others are overestimating that. Agree to disagree. :beer:
Every time you want to unload on CL about how terrible our Ownership/Front Office is, I want you to step back, take a deep breath and read THIS.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:24 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I think people are underestimating how this move affects the way young guys perceive the Lakers moving forward.

I didn't even know we disagreed. :man10:

But sure! I could use a beer.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:59 pm

Lakers to wear short sleeves
Dave McMenamin [ARCHIVE]

ESPNLosAngeles.com | August 21, 2013

LOS ANGELES -- The Los Angeles Lakers have one of the richest histories in the NBA with Hall of Famers and championships galore, but even historic franchises can be fashion forward.

The Lakers will wear short-sleeve jerseys next season in "several" games, according to a team source
The jerseys will be white, the same color as the alternative uniforms the Lakers introduced for the 2002-03 season and traditionally wear on Sundays.

The Lakers will wear the white short-sleeve uniforms on Christmas Day and also when the league celebrates "Noche Latina" when the jerseys will be modified to say "Los Lakers," a source said.

The Golden State Warriors were the first team to wear the adizero short-sleeve jerseys designed by adidas last season. The jerseys, according to adidas, are 26 percent lighter than the traditional NBA jersey. The Phoenix Suns, who recently redesigned their jersey, also will have a short-sleeve alternate in their uniform set next season.

According to a league source, adidas has mocked up short-sleeve alternative jerseys for all 10 teams playing on Christmas Day.

The Lakers will also be adding a black jersey to their uniform rotation next season, according to a league source. The alternative uniform will be part of the league's city pride series, joining the Detroit Pistons' upcoming "Motor City" uniforms and the Portland Trail Blazers' "Rip City" set, but unlike the others, it will still say "Lakers" across the chest. The lettering and numerals will appear in purple with gold outlines and the rest of the jersey material will be primarily black, with some gold accents, the source said. It will not have sleeves, the source added.

The Lakers were one of 17 teams to experiment wearing the short-sleeve jerseys during summer league this offseason. ESPN's Darren Rovell reported in June that as many as five teams will wear the short-sleeve jerseys as an alternate jersey for as many as 12 games during the 2013-14 season.

Lakers point guard Steve Nash suggested last season that each player should be able to choose his own uniform preference.

"I don't see why we all need the same tailor, as long as it's pretty uniform," Nash said. "I'm sure within reason."

Nash, who said he used to wear a T-shirt under his jersey in high school and college, did not have a problem with the NBA harming the sanctity of the league by changing the cut of the jerseys.

"It's not one of those things I'm going to lose any sleep over," Nash said. "Basically, we're an entertainment industry. So, you know, you got to make products that people can wear. Things are going to continually change."

Ariza3

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:08 pm

purp n gold wrote:I wish we just wore purple and gold

Clearly you're biased ...... :man1:
LTLakerFan

Postby LTLakerFan on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:12 pm

^^^ Uggghhh above in the article. So we're going to look as bad as Golden State looked last year and as bad as our summer league team looked .... on national TV Christmas Day. Perfect. :man5:
LTLakerFan

Postby JSM on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:32 pm

I like the black jerseys better than the white. Nothing beats purple and gold, but given the two alternatives...I take the new ones. Short sleeve jerseys though...that's just dumb.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby bigdog2013 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Lakers used to be different with the gold & purple now they are like the rest of the NBA with white and black uniforms. Whats next green uniforms for st patricks day?
bigdog2013

Postby Juronimo on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:45 pm

bigdog2013 wrote:Lakers used to be different with the gold & purple now they are like the rest of the NBA with white and black uniforms. Whats next green uniforms for st patricks day?

:hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby Lakeshow75 on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Anything to make some more money in merchandise sales.

The black jerseys are ugly as hell. I can probably live with the short sleeves, at least they're team colors. But the black ones look like something you'd see for ten bucks at a swap meet.
Lakeshow75

Postby 432J on Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:39 pm

i was scared this would happen and it looks like it will

i personally think the short sleeve jerseys are the stupidest thing to happen to the NBA in quite some time, and it sickens me that such a historically great franchise like the lakers who are so rich in history and tradition are going to be wearing this awful jerseys. the purple and gold are part of what make us stand out as a team and now we're going to be wearing ugly black jerseys and the short sleeve jerseys next season

:hurl: :hurl: :hurl:
432J

Postby Kobe8Fan on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:00 pm

Are the white short sleeves gonna be the same ones the Lakers wore in summer league?

Kobe8Fan

Postby dj vitus on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Short sleeve jerseys, eh? Time to look like College punks once again...
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby TheZen on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Lakers Instagram account posted a teaser of the black jerseys called Hollywood Nights: http://instagram.com/p/dU4qubLOwj/
TheZen

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:30 pm

:disagree:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby DarthRekal on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:47 pm

i couldnt tell.. but i didnt see any purple just black and gold? are we the steelers?
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Lakerman JSJ on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:25 pm

DarthRekal wrote:i couldnt tell.. but i didnt see any purple just black and gold? are we the steelers?

The numbers are purple outlined in gold.
Lakerman JSJ
Clublakers Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:48 pm

Lakerman JSJ wrote:

This. A lot of fans are gonna be upset because we're supposed to be the purple & gold and all that, but everyone will get over it soon and it's not gonna be a big deal at all. The black jerseys look dope too.
Helljumper

Postby therealdeal on Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:55 pm

Helljumper wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:

This. A lot of fans are gonna be upset because we're supposed to be the purple & gold and all that, but everyone will get over it soon and it's not gonna be a big deal at all. The black jerseys look dope too.

I don't understand how this relates to my point?

My point is that the Lakers are trying to modernize and adapt to younger styles. What does that have to do with people being upset that the Lakers are moving away from just the Purple and Gold?
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Helljumper on Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:26 pm

therealdeal wrote:
Helljumper wrote:
Lakerman JSJ wrote:

I don't understand how this relates to my point?

My point is that the Lakers are trying to modernize and adapt to younger styles. What does that have to do with people being upset that the Lakers are moving away from just the Purple and Gold?

It seemed like you and some others were trying to say that the Lakers decision to modernize might negatively affect how younger players perceive our franchise, since we're turning away from the P&G that's been such a large part of the tradition/lore that makes the franchise so attractive. I disagree with that sentiment. Apologies if you meant something else.
Helljumper

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion