Shawne Williams Discussion: back on a 10 day contract

Re: Lakers Work Out Shawne Williams

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:29 pm

i like him. so does dantoni. if we get rid of metta itll be good to have him. he can shoot the 3, is long, defend. having him and earl at the 3 would be nice. im not opposed. he can have problems sure...but metta does too. if he shows up every game and gives the effort on d and hits his 3's crashed boards why not.
Ariza3

Postby Psychobroker on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:44 pm

Shawne Williams >>> Metta Jesus Sideshow Bob
“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.”
- John Adams
"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. "
- Thomas Jefferson
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
- Mark Twain
Psychobroker

Postby JSM on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:08 pm

He's better than Ebanks and actually fits a need...he can shoot. If he can keep his nose clean, wouldn't mind him at the end of the bench. At least it appears as though the Lakers are aware of at least one of their needs and are looking at ways to address it.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby juninho on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:29 am

Well we dont have much options do we? I mean we can use mini mle but since we want space in 2014 we can only offer 1 year also last year guys like jamison and meeks accepted 1 year contracts cuz we were contender not so much right now.
juninho

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:38 am

JSM wrote:He's better than Ebanks and actually fits a need...he can shoot. If he can keep his nose clean, wouldn't mind him at the end of the bench. At least it appears as though the Lakers are aware of at least one of their needs and are looking at ways to address it.

This. He feels a need, and quite frankly, can anyone get worse then Ebanks? He was completely useless last year. WTS, we work this guy out, and if he can does good enough, sign him. Low risk/high reward, IMO...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:07 am

Well, if we're talking 3rd string, Ebanks replacement for the absolute minimum, then ok sure I take a chance. But if we're talking first backup, or even cheap starter, then my answer is still no thanks.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:26 am

Weezy wrote:Well, if we're talking 3rd string, Ebanks replacement for the absolute minimum, then ok sure I take a chance. But if we're talking first backup, or even cheap starter, then my answer is still no thanks.

It seems to me - and I could be wrong - that you're viewing this in the wrong way. It seems like you're saying that there are bigger fish to fry. While there are surely bigger dominoes to fall, if we CAN improve any position at a Minimum contract, we NEED to make those moves. Dumping salary and improving every position after Kobe-Howard-Gasol-Nash is key.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:29 am

But is Shawne Williams that answer? I don't think he's had a job in the NBA for a year or so and I've got to think there's more qualified players available already that can be had for the minimum. I'd view him as a last resort before I honestly considered him for the team.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:47 am

trodgers wrote:
Weezy wrote:Well, if we're talking 3rd string, Ebanks replacement for the absolute minimum, then ok sure I take a chance. But if we're talking first backup, or even cheap starter, then my answer is still no thanks.

It seems to me - and I could be wrong - that you're viewing this in the wrong way. It seems like you're saying that there are bigger fish to fry. While there are surely bigger dominoes to fall, if we CAN improve any position at a Minimum contract, we NEED to make those moves. Dumping salary and improving every position after Kobe-Howard-Gasol-Nash is key.

No, I'm saying I think there are better options even for the minimum, like CJ Watson at backup PG. For a shooter I'd rather go after Dorell Wright with the mini MLE. We don't need home runs and nothing else, filling out the roster with quality role players is as important as anything, I just don't believe Shawne Williams is one we should be after. Not first anyways, more of a last resort.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:58 am

I thought Williams plays some PF. Having a guy who can shoot at PF would be amazing. That's how I was thinking of his primary value. Because Jamison isn't coming back. I'm agreeing that he's not the first guy to go after, but I like that they're pursuing him.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:02 am

He was 6'9" and played a little bit of PF, yes.

I see what you're getting at, but if that's what we're after then we should be more focused on the development of Earl Clark at that spot. He has shown he can shoot the ball pretty well, he's athletic, and he's able to play/defend both forward positions. I'd rather focus on him then bring in a character problem like Williams.

Then use whatever money we have to bring in shooters at every position.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:27 am

I would also rather invest in Clark at pickup shooting PF than Williams. Earl ended the season badly, but if he can get back to at least half of the best he showed us, then he's already topping Williams' best seasons.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:30 am

Yup. Remember who our coach is. That's why we are working him out. See 2010-11 season in NYK.
borri

Postby JSM on Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:24 pm

And I think it's clear MDA is interested in bringing in some of his players, if financially possible and if they're available. That is why we were linked to Bell all season long. If it's between Bell and Shawne, I take Shawne.
JSM

Postby LTLakerFan on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:09 pm

Do Not Want Bell!
LTLakerFan

Shawne Williams??

Postby SK8 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:32 pm

Ian Begley: The Lakers will have ex-#Knick Shawne Williams in training camp. Mike D'Antoni is a big fan. Williams worked out for NY in late June. Twitter @IanBegley

Read more at http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm#hu7s7SZZpxlzTJmJ.99

Is he any good??
I don't even know who is this dude, i just saw on YT that he started a fight vs Hawks :man10: :man10:
The second place means you're the first loser
ex Uncle Drew
SK8

Re: Shawne Williams??

Postby TIME on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:51 pm

Maybe this is why they are in no rush to sign LO.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:05 pm

That's what I thought too.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:12 pm

Still not a fan, would rather have LO, would maybe even rather take a chance on Landry or CDR since we have nothing to lose.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Battle Tested20 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:16 pm

It's fine. Give him the invite and we'll see
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby GoldenKnight on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:21 pm

Garbage, please don't waste anything on this guy there are better guys i'm sure..

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby The Rock on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:59 pm

He can shoot and thats about it really. He has some off the court issues. Hes one of those guys who basically doesnt deserve PT when hes not making his shots. He cant rebound, cant defend, a little slow. But he has a 7 foot 4 wingspan! Not bad for a 6 foot 9 guy. Maybe we can use him like Vlad Rad? Although Radman was a good cutter on top of being a good shooter

Remember, Radmanovic averaged like 8 points/3 rebounds or something like that but he was a good shooter and provided spacing for the bigs.

All these flurry of signings and invities wish they happened last year to round out the roster, we lacked so much in the young legs & skilled department

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JSM on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:24 pm

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 40m
The Lakers have been keeping an eye on Shawne Williams for awhile. He'll attend their training camp and have a shot at making their roster.

Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA 39m
I spent some time with Shawne Williams a few weeks ago at IMG. He looked really good. Check out this dunk: https://vine.co/v/blUbnADtUXV
JSM

Postby trodgers on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:41 pm

He doesn't score, can't shoot, doesn't rebound, but he's 6'9"...I don't get it. I have joked in this thread previously, but there ARE better options. Especially after seeing the magic Mitch has worked, this is a bit disappointing.
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby CarolinaLakerFan on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:42 pm

No. :disagree: LA lifestyle+Shawne Williams= Bad mix
Magic Johnson: The most complete player in NBA history!
CarolinaLakerFan

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion