LeBron And Dwyane Wade On Lakers’ Struggles and Criticism

LeBron And Dwyane Wade On Lakers’ Struggles and Criticism

Postby Kobe8Fan on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 pm

The Lakers have been getting criticized from everywhere, but LeBron James and Dwyane Wade say it was far worse for them in 2010.

By Joseph Goodman
jgoodman@MiamiHerald.com

PORTLAND, Ore. -- The lights are not always brighter in Los Angeles, according to LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

James and Wade had to chuckle Thursday when asked if the current scrutiny the Lakers are experiencing compares to what the Heat went through in 2010. Not even close, said the Heat’s stars.

“No one will ever be able to compare what we went through,” James said. “Even though they’re not winning and they’re losing a lot of games, it’s still nowhere near what we went through.

“Yeah, right. That level of magnitude was nowhere near where ours was two years ago. Nothing. Nothing compares to it.”

In years past, the Heat’s current struggles might have been the lead story in the NBA, but the Lakers’ tumult has pushed the Heat’s rebounding woes out of the focus. In the preseason, Los Angeles and its rebuilt roster was the favorite to reach the NBA Finals. With a losing record more than two months into the season, the Lakers are ranked 11th in the Western Conference standings and in jeopardy of missing the playoffs.

“It’s the Lakers,” Wade said. “They’re America’s team. I keep saying it. They’re the standard of what the NBA has been for years, Boston and the Lakers. But the Lakers are in L.A., the big market. So, from that standpoint, you understand it. You get it.”

Still, Wade and James seem to take some satisfaction in believing what the Heat survived in 2010 was more difficult.

On the surface, the prideful chest pounding seems a little silly, but James in particular has said overcoming the negative attention in 2010 was one of the biggest accomplishments of his career.

The difference between the Lakers’ negative spotlight and the Heat’s scrutiny in 2010, according to Wade, was that Miami began the season fighting off potential distractions. The Heat’s celebration after signing Wade, James and Chris Bosh, plus James’ ill-conceived TV special ensured a rocky start for the Heat if it didn’t win immediately.

“Because of everything that happened in 2010 with offseason signings, it was, automatically, just a lot of negative things that was said about us,” Wade said. “[Los Angeles] didn’t go through that at the beginning. They didn’t go through anything negative about bringing those guys together, so ours started off bad and it stayed bad for a while, and then we got better.”

The Lakers have yet to turn the corner. The Heat began 2010 with a record of 9-8 before running through the month of December with only one loss in 16 games.

A team meeting after a loss to Dallas in November of 2010 helped the Heat work through some of its problems. Another difference between the Heat in 2010 and the Lakers this season is the simple fact that most of the Heat’s problems were addressed internally. Although there were disagreements early on, those problems rarely surfaced in the media.

Wade suggested that some of the Lakers’ players were not fully prepared for the scrutiny.

“I know [Kobe Bryant] understands it,” Wade said. “That’s the nature of the beast out in L.A. I don’t know if every player that comes through there understands what you’re getting yourself into when you walk through those Lakers doors.”

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/11/3 ... miami.html
Kobe8Fan

Re: LeBron And Dwyane Wade On Lakers’ Struggles and Criticism

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:57 pm

Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5 times am I going to read what these two have to say.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby CGrand81 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:59 pm

When those 3 signed together it really shook up the NBA. It was unprecedented. Everyone outside of Miami wanted them to lose, it is the first time almost ever (I grew up in Dallas so I hate the Mavs) that I cheered for the Mavs.

Everyone hated LeBron, hated the Heat, wished for failure from day one. So I'd have to agree with what they said, the Lakers situation is IMO no where near what the Heat's were, partially due to the fact LeBron at that point had never won a ring, mainly due to how those 3 handled that offseason.

(sorry for spelling on my phone)
CGrand81

Postby Weezy on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:01 pm

He's not wrong, but they brought the hate on themselves with The Decision, and the pre-season championship celebration. The Lakers made no promises this season, the interest in them is because of what a train wreck they are.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Not sure if starting 9-8 then cruising to a very competitive year that ended with you in the finals compares to what w're going through..

but ok, you guys are the best at receiving scrutiny also.

*COUGHnarcissistsCOUGH*
phoenixrisingla

Postby Armani on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:17 pm

Well, no, they had a coach who preached defense... at least they knew they were heading in a winning direction.

EDIT: And I would take going to the finals and failing over this current disaster any day. :man2:
Armani

Postby S.R.05 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:28 pm

that's because they're both a**hats and nobody likes them
Hindsight is 20/20
S.R.05
Clublakers Analyst

Postby purp n gold on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:34 pm

Well duh Wade, the criticism was worse for you and Bron because you guys acted like douchebags in the summer of 2010.

They brought that criticism on themselves, and now they want credit for enduring it. STFU, especially Wade.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby Juronimo on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:41 pm

True. The Miami scrutiny was worse due to the way they acted with the not 1 not 2 etc. They were scrutinized harder, because they acted like jerks.

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
Juronimo

Postby retro_nights on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:44 pm

its true. very true
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:46 pm

And here I thought it was because of their concert like preview for the big Mia movie. They turned people off with all of that extra-ness, it was like a mini movie.
Jazzygirl205

Postby themasterphil on Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:41 pm

who cares what that 2 have to say....i am really not interested in it
themasterphil

Return to Lakers Discussion