I'd like to see Matt Barnes play with Nash

Re: I'd like to see Matt Barnes play with Nash

Postby Sirron on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:23 pm

I would tend to cut the guy some slack for being injured. He has balls enough to get in Kobe's face. I like guys like that.
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:24 pm

Sirron wrote:I would tend to cut the guy some slack for being injured. He has balls enough to get in Kobe's face. I like guys like that.

I like his atttude, but I'm starting to think that his career is rapidly approaching an end.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby 432J on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:27 pm

Helljumper wrote:Let's say Hill decides to retire and Ebanks gets a better offer elsewhere; are you guys saying you'd rather have Eyenga as our back-up 3 instead of taking back Barnes for the minimum?

we haven't really seen much of eyenga so if this was to happen i'd rather they just bring barnes back. if hill signs in LA however, barnes should be let go in favor of ebanks
432J

Postby BDG on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:30 pm

Love Barnes, but would rather give a new guy a shot (FA, Ebanks) than a guy who's absolutely blown it the last two postseasons.

Sure he was a bit injured, but he looked like a ghost out there.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby KB24 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:35 pm

the MDE wrote:I agree with the OP. I would take Barnes back. I would take him over Grant Hill, too. Grant is 40 years old and his back failed him at the end of the season. Barnes is younger, faster, and solid in the running game. He is also one of the few guys on our team that constantly moves and cuts. Nash would probably hit him with some good passes off of the cuts that Barnes does.

1. you think Barnes is better than Grant Hill? I really don't think so. Hill is much smarter, has a midrange game and can cut to the basket too.

2. Who cares if Barnes cuts to the hoop when he would airball layup attempts?

lets be honest...ya he moves and cuts...but he is also fisher-esque at finishing. You also won't here Grant Hill having beefs on twitter and a potential headache.

I actually like Barnes the person. I used to hate him but he talks like he isn't dumb, he also cares about winning and always gives it his all. But at some point its time to part ways and give new guys a shot. Our bench has been A-W-F-U-L. And Barnes does get a lot of blame.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Lakeshow24 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:19 pm

Doc Brown wrote:I'd like to see Matt Barnes play with another team.

Exactly.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby kray28 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:27 pm

He had some bad luck with injuries (knee last year and an ankle this year)....but when he was healthy, his activity and hustle made him one of our highest impact players.

I hate to see him go because he's a hard worker who plays hard all the time. That's a hard to find trait these days. I have also seen nothing from Ebanks to think that he could replace Barnes' speed and hustle.

So if we have a chance, I would love to have him back...too many times this past season you saw him beat everyone down the floor, but our guards didn't get him the ball. Early on, Sessions found him quite often before Brown told him to slow it down.
kray28

Postby Vito Andolini on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:40 pm

At one point last season, Matt Barnes was our only consistent player.

I could see his slashing being very beneficial for Nash.

HOWEVER, Nash has back stiffness problems and only plays 25-30 minutes. He'll rarely be on the floor at the same time as Barnes, unless Metta comes off the bench.
Vito Andolini

Postby LakerFan1235 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:42 pm

No, screw barnes. I am sure that he would play better with nash on the court, but he lost his chance at that when he didn't give us even 60% of what we thought we would get from him the last two years. ESPECIALLY the playoffs, you know, the most important time of the year.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby retro_nights on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:18 pm

well, if we get dwight and are forced to take jason richardson....then a barnes, richardson, nash fastbreak looks like this

---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:28 pm

retro_nights wrote:well, if we get dwight and are forced to take jason richardson....then a barnes, richardson, nash fastbreak looks like this

Richardson slept with Nash's wife. We can't trade for him.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby retro_nights on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:32 pm

u sure? thought that was just rumor...since baby wasnt black

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/around ... lack-baby/
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:47 pm

Barnes was playing very well when Sesh came to LA. He was our most consistent player but then he sprained his ankle and his kid hurt his neck and that was when the playoffs started.

Obviously if we can get Grant Hill I'd rather have him and Metta at the SF. Ebanks is a young good talent but he has to get a 3 point shot
Ariza3

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:51 pm

retro_nights wrote:u sure? thought that was just rumor...since baby wasnt black

http://boston.barstoolsports.com/around ... lack-baby/

There's alot of half black kids that don't look at it. Kid could still easily be Richardson's.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby retro_nights on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:05 am

Now we're just reaching. Unless there's more proof it's just bad gossip.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Phil XI on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:47 am

Re Nash's ex:
It was Barbosa not JRich.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:50 am

^ Then why'd they trade J-Rich?
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Phil XI on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:50 am

Helljumper wrote:Let's say Hill decides to retire and Ebanks gets a better offer elsewhere; are you guys saying you'd rather have Eyenga as our back-up 3 instead of taking back Barnes for the minimum?

No. Kobeis the back up three in that scenario. Lakers need a scoring back up 2 and let Kobe play more 3.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Postby Phil XI on Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:09 am

KeepBynum wrote:^ Then why'd they trade J-Rich?

Dude you have your timeline backwards.
Barbosa traded in July that year (for Hedo's albatross of a contract). Why? Nash found out his wife was prego in about April/May and found out about the affair in July. Demanded a trade, regardless of the nightmare contract coming back. Suns were willing to eat 50mm on a crappy trade of Leo's pretty decent contract to keep Nash happy.

JRich wasn't traded until later Dec when the Suns realized Hedo sucked and was owed 50mm. In order to dump Hedo, and get a good player back in Gortat, they had to put in a good player in JRich. Orlando wanted to make Dwight happy, for an extension possibility hahaha on them, and got themselves an asset in Jason.

Everyone thought it was JRich because of the timing of the divorce but Barbosa was the culprit of the wife's affair. Nash was cheating too it turned out. JRich came out in 2011 and said he never slept with Nash's wife. Barbosa never denied it.
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Postby Congo Cash on Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:03 am

I want Barnes gone... Sure there's the effort, but it is irrelevant because there is no production...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby cthroatgtr on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:24 pm

The problem with Barnes is he will always be an extremely streaky shooter and there are times he goes ice cold, like this years playoffs. His D has slipped a lot as well which makes him ineffective at times.
cthroatgtr

Postby retro_nights on Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:38 pm

Phil XI wrote:
KeepBynum wrote:^ Then why'd they trade J-Rich?

Dude you have your timeline backwards.
Barbosa traded in July that year (for Hedo's albatross of a contract). Why? Nash found out his wife was prego in about April/May and found out about the affair in July. Demanded a trade, regardless of the nightmare contract coming back. Suns were willing to eat 50mm on a crappy trade of Leo's pretty decent contract to keep Nash happy.

JRich wasn't traded until later Dec when the Suns realized Hedo sucked and was owed 50mm. In order to dump Hedo, and get a good player back in Gortat, they had to put in a good player in JRich. Orlando wanted to make Dwight happy, for an extension possibility hahaha on them, and got themselves an asset in Jason.

Everyone thought it was JRich because of the timing of the divorce but Barbosa was the culprit of the wife's affair. Nash was cheating too it turned out. JRich came out in 2011 and said he never slept with Nash's wife. Barbosa never denied it.

Both Rumors are false. Barbosa is not the father. Just more Internet gossip.
---
Team lakers
retro_nights

Postby Fulzgold on Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:16 pm

I like Barnes on the cheap if someone tells him to stop jacking up 3's and just play D. He's actually a very good rebounder for his size off the bench.
Larry Spriggs --> Mike Smrek --> Mike Penberthy--> DJ Mbenga
Fulzgold

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:56 am

Sirron wrote:We saw how he meshed on the open floor with Sessions. Makes me wonder how he'd do with Nash. Surprised we haven't heard much about Barnes yet. Seems like a solid complimentary piece for a contender.

He's a perfect 3 for Nash. A guy who can move without the ball, who can shoot the 3 at times, can run the floor and is one of the most athletic players on this squad. Definitely a better fit than MWP.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby khmrP on Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:59 am

Bring back Shannon!
khmrP

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion