Longevity Numbers on Kobe -updated.

Re: Longevity Numbers on Kobe

Postby trodgers on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:53 am

Seanie B wrote:Thanks for all the cool stats! Do you happen to have the stats showing the most points ranked by seasons/games played? Because Jordan's 32 was like Kobe's 29. But Kobe has already played as many seasons as Jordan and putting up more PPG than Jordan did when he was in his 15th season.

This is a cool question. In the player's 15th season, most points scored:

1. Karl Malone 2095 (36 y/o)
2. Kobe 1838 (32 y/o)
3. kareem 1717 (36 y/o)
4. Jordan 1640 (39 y/o)
5. Moses Malone 1637 (33 y/o)
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Sirron on Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:21 am

He'd have to average 28.5 the rest of the way to equal the best season with that many seasons under his belt.

Maybe he's not done after all. :man10:
Sirron
Mst Intrsting mn n th wrld

Postby trodgers on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:05 pm

trodgers wrote:SEASON at age 32
Kobe has 1866 points
12th most at 32 (Jerry West up next) 21 tonight would put him in 9th all time.

Kobe has 355 assists
55th best at 32.

Kobe has 384 boards
139th best at 32.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby TIME on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:27 pm

trodgers wrote:10. Dolph Shaves 1868

Just caught this.

What does he use, electric or a razor? :man10:
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:53 pm

:man10:

In my defense, I never wear my glasses. Except when driving.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:36 am

Kobe has 1887 points
9th most at 32 (Jerry West up next) 19 next gamet would put him in 6th all time.

Kobe has 359 assists
54th best at 32.

Kobe has 389 boards
136th best at 32.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:36 am

Oops. West isn't next, but I'm too lazy to edit it on this computer.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby MadMax on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:21 am

He's obviously done. As Chuck said, no way this guy goes for 30 points anymore.
MadMax

Postby trodgers on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:41 am

Updated

1. Michael Jordan 2491
2. Alex English 2414
3. Allen Iverson 2164
4. Karl Malone 2106
5. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 2034
6. Hakeem Olajuwon 2005
7. John Havlicek 1902
8. Hal Greer 1896
9. Kobe 1887
10. Patrick Ewing 1886
11. Dolph Shayes 1868
12. Walter Davis 1867
13. Elgin Baylor 1862
14. Jerry West 1859
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby BadCoaching on Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:51 am

Crazy.. his minutes are way down too.

Only thing I worry about is his knee, hands are one thing.. knees end any career there's no getting around a bad knee in the NBA. I just hope it's not as bad as rumored.
BadCoaching

Postby kobe_008 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:34 am

Tnx for the Update.

Out of topic-do u think LBJ will have this numbers too?
Im thinking he will slow down if he gets injured-but he is really gifted physical wise!
I dont like the guy but man he really has his game going
kobe_008

Postby Doc Brown on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:39 am

kobe_008 wrote:Tnx for the Update.

Out of topic-do u think LBJ will have this numbers too?
Im thinking he will slow down if he gets injured-but he is really gifted physical wise!
I dont like the guy but man he really has his game going

Once Lebron loses his athletic ability (losing a step) and he's not able to blow by people with the ease at which he does now, his game is going to head downhill in my opinion.

I think this because he has the same game he came in the league with in what his 8th season? He has no post game and his outside shot is mediocre. On top of that, he hasn't shown that he has or wants to develop his game. Kobe in his younger years was doing what lebron is doing now, dunking on everyone and getting into the lane. Now that Kobe is older its very apparent that he has developed a well rounded game that is not based off athleticism but fundamentals and hardwork. Lebron will never be that way or adapt his game in a way that will let him take over a game with other skills besides steamrolling to the basket.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby kobe_008 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:08 pm

tnx-thats what im hoping too!
lol
kobe_008

Postby jlkr on Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:41 pm

Count me in as among those who are concerned about Kobe's knee. That kind of stuff can and does end careers. Think of some of the great SG's and SF's: Alex English, James Worthy, Bernard King, David Thompson, Elgin Baylor, all had their careers cut short by a knee or both knees gone bad. English, for example, averaged 26.5ppg at 35 years old, then started having a nagging knee injury and was out of the league just 2 years later. Worthy suffered from tendinitis: just 10 years after he broke into the league, he was a shadow of his former self. It was sad to watch him labor up and down the court during his last 2 seasons.

So knowing Kobe already has over 1000 games played, I'm always happy to see him out there cuz we just don't know how much longer he has. At this point, I'm thinking if his knee doesn't deteriorate too badly, he should be able to play out his current contract plus extension at a high level but with fewer minutes, but the slowdown will be noticeable. After that contract expires, he's probably done unless he wants to be a sidekick, the elderly sage who's still good for the occasional outburst but mostly stays on the ground and plays the facilitator/glue guy role.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby trodgers on Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:58 pm

Do I think LBJ will post those numbers? No matter who it is, you should vote against them. We're not talking about posting 25 ppg in the prime of his career. For James, we're talking about nearly a decade down the line. I'd bet against him.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:09 pm

jlkr wrote:Count me in as among those who are concerned about Kobe's knee. That kind of stuff can and does end careers. Think of some of the great SG's and SF's: Alex English, James Worthy, Bernard King, David Thompson, Elgin Baylor, all had their careers cut short by a knee or both knees gone bad. English, for example, averaged 26.5ppg at 35 years old, then started having a nagging knee injury and was out of the league just 2 years later. Worthy suffered from tendinitis: just 10 years after he broke into the league, he was a shadow of his former self. It was sad to watch him labor up and down the court during his last 2 seasons.

So knowing Kobe already has over 1000 games played, I'm always happy to see him out there cuz we just don't know how much longer he has. At this point, I'm thinking if his knee doesn't deteriorate too badly, he should be able to play out his current contract plus extension at a high level but with fewer minutes, but the slowdown will be noticeable. After that contract expires, he's probably done unless he wants to be a sidekick, the elderly sage who's still good for the occasional outburst but mostly stays on the ground and plays the facilitator/glue guy role.

Great post, jlkr. There was a scary moment last night against Utah when Kobe appeared to hurt his knee. Fortunately, it looked worse than it actually was, and he's all right. It's amazing Kobe is still able to play at a championship level even though his right knee is almost bone-on-bone, but then again, he's an amazing player. I'll be happy if he's able to play for a few more years, regardless of what happens to the Lakers.
Thanks for the sig, Jr. Kobe.

mamatheregoesthatman

Postby kobe_008 on Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:17 pm

Yes, i would like to watch kobe play more years
He also said he is only interested on 1 record, the record Bill Russel has.

I dont mind Kobe playing 2nd fiddle coz i know during crunch time he will still have the ball

For now im very interested how he will stock with the list trodgs has
kobe_008

Postby Jazzygirl205 on Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:19 am

LeBron has the potential to be great later on in his career it all depends on how that big body will hold up in the future and his constant development on other aspects of his game as he gets older and his athleticism wears off.Remember Vinsanity(Vince Carter) is what LeBron is his age, he was a power house athlete that he relied on the most and with that being said he didn't take the time to develop the second part of his game in which he would need in future years as he aged which was to become more of a perimeter player. If LeBron's body holds up, and he learns how to fight injuries and develop ungodly endurance then he has the potential to do what Kobe is doing now and possibly pass him however that time isn't here yet so let's enjoy Kobe while we can lol.
Jazzygirl205

Postby trodgers on Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Kobe has 1915 points
7th most at 32 (Hakeem up next).

Kobe has 363 assists
52nd best at 32.

Kobe has 393 boards
132nd best at 32.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:56 am

TOTALS after 30 y/o
Kobe has 6086 points, is currently 82nd.
Kobe has 1127 assists, is currently 133rd.
Kobe has 1213 rebounds, is currently 253rd.

Just felt like updating these career numbers since turning 30. Kobe has some work to do.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby trodgers on Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:57 am

Kobe has 1935 points
7th most at 32 (Hakeem up next).

Kobe has 368 assists
49th best at 32.

Kobe has 396 boards
130th best at 32.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby davriver290 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:30 pm

Kobe is getting old. Its obvious. While he still is dominant, his moves aren't that quick and fadeaways aren't falling consistently like they used to. I love Kobe Bryant, but I do have some complaints about him that did cause some losses this season.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby vtandon on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:50 am

trodgers wrote:Do I think LBJ will post those numbers? No matter who it is, you should vote against them. We're not talking about posting 25 ppg in the prime of his career. For James, we're talking about nearly a decade down the line. I'd bet against him.

What a lot of ppl here are downplaying in terms of LBJ's longevity - and I hate to bring something like this up - but a lot of those guys (Tmac and VC) had lingering injuries that kept them out and impacted their play considerably. Not that I'm hoping for it, but James hasn't experienced anything major & has quite the headstart.
vtandon

Postby pureuncut100 on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:06 am

Kobes longevity is going to take a hit with his decision making. I have said it before and will say it again, if his decision making doesnt improve (which I doubt it will), when his physical abilities erode enough, he will be looked upon like Allen Iverson was looked upon. At 45%, he is already on the boarder of being a volume shooter. If his FG% ever drops to say 43%, Kobe will be really close to being forced out of the NBA. The fact of the matter is that Kobe is becomming more and more one dimensional and when you are a scorer and cant score effectively or efficiently, then your days are numbered. I am not saying that day is here, but I see it on the horizon.

Look at the game against Golden State for example. IMHO, Phil Jackson kept him out of the game because he was afraid Kobe would shoot the Lakers into a deeper whole. This is the approach a coach takes with a volume shooter.
pureuncut100

Postby vtandon on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:17 am

vtandon

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion