LQOTD: Are the Lakers Contenders?

LQOTD: Are the Lakers Contenders?

Postby trodgers on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:45 am

Lakers Question of the Day
If the season ended today, the Lakers would not make the playoffs. A quick look at the schedule suggest that by the end of January, they should be above .500 and starting their way up the seeding. Today's question is whether the Lakers have what it takes to contend.

Four games ago, it would have been difficult for most fans to even think about a championship, but four wins, the return of Pau Gasol and Steve Nash, and some clutch play feels like hitting the RESET button on a forgettable first quarter of the season.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: LQOTD: Are the Lakers Contenders?

Postby JGC on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:50 am

Not this season. But with some tweaks, and assuming we keep Howard, I think we have a real shot next season.

I'm not sure if championship teams have ever looked this poorly to start and not to mention had the kind of turmoil this team has had to deal with this season.

Thankful for the four wins though only one of them came against an opponent worth talking about.
JGC

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:54 am

Too early to say ... we'll have a very good idea by end of January/All Star break though

Dec 25 NYK
Dec 26 at Nuggets
Jan 4 "at" Clippers
Jan 8 at Rockets
Jan 9 at Spurs
Jan 11 Thunder
Jan 17 Heat
Jan 23 at Grizz
Jan 27 OKC

January is a good measuring stick month to say the least
wcsoldier81

Postby JGC on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:06 am

^ Well, it can't be too early to say unless it's too early to say that any team is a contender.

Surely, you can look at the first quarter of the season and say, does the first quarter represent the hallmarks of any previous contender?

I mean, prior to the season, we all considered ourselves a contender, right? But now it's too early to call?

I think we can become a good team. But I don't think we're going to be elite this season at all. I just don't think truly elite teams can play 25% of a season and not even show a flash of eliteness for any meaningful period of time.
JGC

Postby therealdeal on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:13 am

Well we were before Nash went down and with him back and if everyone is healthy HELL YES WE ARE.

However, health has been an issue and it's likely it'll be an issue later. Right now is the real test for this team to show everyone that the ARE contenders.

As things stand now? No. Let's keep this streak alive or let's at least get this team in the top 8 before we make any statements like that. I think this team EASILY has the talent and ability to win a Championship, but only if the team is healthy and flowing by the time the Playoffs roll around.

I firmly believe that even if we're the 8th seed, but we're healthy in the Playoffs, we have every bit as much of a chance as the Spurs, the Thunder, the Heat, or the Knicks.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:16 am

We definetely need a huge turnaround and yep as of now it's hard to imagine our team being a title contender coming playoffs time... but basically everything has worked against us for the beginning of the season ... so who knows what could happen if we finally stay healthy until the end of the season ...

The biggest question to me is where D12 will be shape/athleticism wise when the postseason begin
wcsoldier81

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:20 am

Yes. Get into the playoffs and it's game on.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:22 am

It would take something historic for it to happen at this point, but crazier things have happened
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby The Rock on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:25 am

Doc Brown wrote:Yes. Get into the playoffs and it's game on.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:31 am

The Rock wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:Yes. Get into the playoffs and it's game on.

+1. But we have a LOT of work to do until then. Have to play better D. Have to get healthier. Have to develop chemistry and great team play with Nash back. But I do really like the personnel on this squad and I think they are capable if they are firing on all cylinders.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Juronimo on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:40 am

No we're not and we'll struggle to make the playoffs at this point if things don't drastically change.

There are 3 major issues that need to be addressed.

MDA's bizarre rotations and lineups. He needs to realize that this team is constructed a certain way and he needs to coach to this team's strengths and utilize our talent properly. Right now he's shoehorning a system for a team that wasn't built that way and is unneedingly playing guys out of position.

Our defense has been inconsistent to bad the whole season and really needs to be tightened up. Our rotations are slow, there's too much gambling and we need to help the helper. Also there's no need to double mediocre bigs since that leaves shooters open.

Kobe needs to be reigned in. He needs to play team ball and he isn't and he needs to lay off the refs and play D which he isn't right now. Hopefully having Nash back will help things in that regard. Otherwise he will shoot us out of a few more games this season.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:52 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Too early to say ... we'll have a very good idea by end of January/All Star break though

Dec 25 NYK
Dec 26 at Nuggets
Jan 4 "at" Clippers
Jan 8 at Rockets
Jan 9 at Spurs
Jan 11 Thunder
Jan 17 Heat
Jan 23 at Grizz
Jan 27 OKC

I would agree with this assessment.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby JGC on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:01 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:Too early to say ... we'll have a very good idea by end of January/All Star break though

Dec 25 NYK
Dec 26 at Nuggets
Jan 4 "at" Clippers
Jan 8 at Rockets
Jan 9 at Spurs
Jan 11 Thunder
Jan 17 Heat
Jan 23 at Grizz
Jan 27 OKC

I would agree with this assessment.

Cmon guys. Take a stand here!
JGC

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:06 am

^LOL! Why? It's an 82 game season. Nash just came back into the fold. I can't make any determination until I see Nash play & the team develop more chemistry. That will be by the All-Star break.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:08 am

Juronimo wrote:No we're not and we'll struggle to make the playoffs at this point if things don't drastically change.

There are 3 major issues that need to be addressed.

MDA's bizarre rotations and lineups. He needs to realize that this team is constructed a certain way and he needs to coach to this team's strengths and utilize our talent properly. Right now he's shoehorning a system for a team that wasn't built that way and is unneedingly playing guys out of position.

Our defense has been inconsistent to bad the whole season and really needs to be tightened up. Our rotations are slow, there's too much gambling and we need to help the helper. Also there's no need to double mediocre bigs since that leaves shooters open.

Kobe needs to be reigned in. He needs to play team ball and he isn't and he needs to lay off the refs and play D which he isn't right now. Hopefully having Nash back will help things in that regard. Otherwise he will shoot us out of a few more games this season.

Very well said ...if these things don't change ( especially the last 2 as I wouldn't hold my breath to MDA adapting) , we are a 1st round exit
wcsoldier81

Postby gcclaker on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:11 am

Yes... Whether they are championship caliber besides on paper is yet to be determined. Even with Gasol and Nash back, they are still in flux. Not thrilled with D'Antoni elevating the core's minutes so far.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:44 am

dwighthowardsdad wrote:^LOL! Why? It's an 82 game season. Nash just came back into the fold. I can't make any determination until I see Nash play & the team develop more chemistry. That will be by the All-Star break.

Lol! Why then?

I think he was just exhorting you to speculate. Nothing crazy or offensive about that.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby GoldHammish on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:45 am

Yes.
GoldHammish

Postby Finwë on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:04 pm

We can be.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Forward Three on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:13 pm

I'm not seeing it. On the one hand, you know the talent is there and theoretically, on-paper, this team should be a wild card going into the playoffs. But on the other hand, even when this team plays 'better' they still exhibit all of the same boneheaded, careless, gutless crap that top-tier teams just don't do. This team has to demonstrate that they are even figuring anything out before I can really believe they'd last through the playoffs.
Forward Three

Postby Weezy on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Too early for me to say yes or no, some teams will level out, some teams will fall off, some will get better. Every season there are teams not as good or bad as their early record would have you believe. For example, I don't believe the Warriors are as good as their current record, and I don't believe we're as bad as ours. Not sure the Celtics and Ners are as bad as their records either. We'll know more mid-season, but right now just looking all time stats we don't look like contenders, too much ground to make up. On the other hand you newer want to peak too early, so you never know, and if I didn't believe deep down there was at least a slim chance we could win it all I wouldn't get so invested in the season and watching every game.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Forward Three on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:16 pm

That January schedule is pretty brutal. That could be our season right there pretty much, win a majority of those games and the team winds up back over .500 and a playoffs berth. Lose the majority of them and aside from being a litmus test against playoffs bound and championship caliber teams, it'll set us far enough back in the standings that even making the playoffs will be a struggle.
Forward Three

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:23 pm

Dec 25 NYK
Dec 26 at Nuggets
Jan 4 "at" Clippers
Jan 8 at Rockets
Jan 9 at Spurs
Jan 11 Thunder
Jan 17 Heat
Jan 23 at Grizz
Jan 27 OKC

No bleep. Wow. That's pretty brutal (lol edit didn't see same thing said immediately above). But damn it is.
LTLakerFan

Postby Daloyalfan18 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:06 pm

I might be a blind fan, but I absolutely think they can still get it together and win it all this year.
Daloyalfan18

Postby borri on Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:07 pm

Dec 25 NYK
Dec 26 at Nuggets
Jan 4 "at" Clippers
Jan 8 at Rockets
Jan 9 at Spurs
Jan 11 Thunder
Jan 17 Heat
Jan 23 at Grizz
Jan 27 OKC

Oh boy. Pessimist in me sees 2-7. Optimist sees 5-4.

Sure losses at DEN and at SAS. Second of back to backs and on the road. Yikes. NYK on xmas is a MUST win.
borri

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion