LQOTD: Houston or Utah tonight?

LQOTD: Houston or Utah tonight?

Postby trodgers on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Which team should LA be rooting for?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: LQOTD: Houston on Utah tonight?

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:35 pm

Utah.

We don't have the luxury of being in the playoffs for sure and with two of our main pieces out, we need to focus on just making the playoffs.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:36 pm

You mean, Utah to lose right real?
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby trodgers on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:42 pm

I think it's going to come down to the conservative play: Let's just get in! vs. the optimistic one (we can take Houston, too, and position ourselves for good things in Round 1).
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby jlkr on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:42 pm

No, UTA to win. That brings HOU back to the Lakers and makes it more possible to get to 7th or even 6th.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:45 pm

I want Utah to win. They don't scare me and if Houston pulls too far ahead of us we might not catch them
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:48 pm

utah to lose, why people want 7th? thats OKC right now and probably will be at the end of the season.
khmrP

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:50 pm

We're two back in the loss column on Houston, and just two wins ahead of Utah. We need to distance ourselves from Utah first, then we can focus on catching Houston or GS.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby TheOp on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:56 pm

If the Spurs keep the 1 seed, I could care less about moving any higher then 8th. Not sure why people are so scared of taking the 8 seed, its the easiest playoff schedule we could have. If we beat the Spurs, were in their 1 seed bracket. That means we will AVOID OKC until the WCF.

Hopefully Utah loses.
TheOp

Postby gcclaker on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:00 pm

Utah... Separation for us and our closest problem in making the playoffs.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:02 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:You mean, Utah to lose right real?

Yeah I do.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Do you?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Kit on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 pm

Utah needs to lose which they will.
Kit

Postby karacha on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:15 pm

I would like either #8 or #6. Since our chances of getting #6 are not exactly great (compared to our chances for barely making the playoffs as #8) -- I hope HOU will win tonight, and then UTA can lose another one in San Antonio. This way we get some separation from the Jazz; Dallas and Portland are not in the picture anymore IMO.

OKC is not very hot lately, or perhaps they are subtly tanking for #2 ( :man9: ), meaning that with #8 we play #1 San Antonio, and I kind of like that matchup. They are still the favorites, obviously, but I prefer playing them (with a slightly hobbled PG) instead of a young, super athletic team such as OKC or - gasp! - the Clippers, who have fast, elite point guards.

So yeah. Go Rockets.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:20 pm

gcclaker wrote:Utah... Separation for us and our closest problem in making the playoffs.

+1.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:31 pm

injuries?
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:47 pm

yea if we gona upset someone it might as well be the 1st seed so we get the best seeding bracket :man10: getting #7 seed, you're looking at OKC then possibly Den, two HORRIBLE matchups for us (yes we beat OKC but lets get real that was cause Westbrick played that gm and even then it was close, more often than not we would get the Westbrook that burned us for what like nearly 30pts in the 1st half in OKC?)
khmrP

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:49 pm

Not sure why everyone wants the Spurs. We're not some matchup nightmare for them or anything and I just can't see them losing to an 8th seed twice in three seasons. No team is bad enough to pull something like that.

Last post-season we actually were able to keep up with OKC even though they were a fast paced team. Those games were almost all close for the most part and when healthy we beat OKC this season. I think they're actually a worse team this season despite their amazing margin of victory.

But regardless I want the 6th seed so Houston and GSW losing is good for us. I think that's our only chance of advancing past the 1st round so long as Memphis gets the 3rd.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:53 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Not sure why everyone wants the Spurs. We're not some matchup nightmare for them or anything and I just can't see them losing to an 8th seed twice in three seasons. No team is bad enough to pull something like that.

Last post-season we actually were able to keep up with OKC even though they were a fast paced team. Those games were almost all close for the most part and when healthy we beat OKC this season. I think they're actually a worse team this season despite their amazing margin of victory.

But regardless I want the 6th seed so Houston and GSW losing is good for us. I think that's our only chance of advancing past the 1st round so long as Memphis gets the 3rd.

so 6th seed over possibly more gurantee's of not having to worry bout Utah? Considering all the injury issues and still horrific defensive woes, I'd be happy with 8th seed, 6th at this junction is a pipe dream, we'll have more nights like we did in Pho guranteed.
khmrP

Postby Weezy on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:55 pm

Need Utah to lose, we need to get IN to the playoffs more than we need to worry about being 8th, 7th or even 6th seed. No matter which of those we are the task to get out of the 1st round is huge, but I'd rather play San Antonio than OKC or have the possibility of the humiliation of losing to the Clippers in the playoffs for the first time in the history of the world. :man10: Why I say I'd rather play San Antonio is we have regularly hung with them, they have old players like we do, and I find no shame in losing to them because I respect them where I HATE losing to those smug young bastards in OKC or those classless, flopping a-holes on the Clippers.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:57 pm

Because the Spurs have slightly older PG who is great, but unlikely to drop 40 on us - and not very many dunkers who are just waiting for our turnover to push the ball and turn it into a highlight of the evening. Besides, they are a classy team, so losing against them is not a big deal. You can always say: "They had Pop" and that's that.

We're not a matchup nightmare for anyone right now; if we make the playoffs, it will most likely be as an 8th seed. We had injuries, our players will be still recovering even in the playoffs. Yes, getting #6 would be nice, but #8 will do. I think most of us would prefer MEM, then SAS, then OKC. And looking at the situation right now, facing SAS is more likely then anything else. And if we, by some miracle, beat them... we have a decent bracket afterwards.

I'd say... let's not get greedy here. After everything that has happened this season, making the playoffs as #8 is good. I'll take it. People often say - hey, we're #8, why not #6 and then we'll win the Championship against the Heat. Yeah, right. Let's just separate ourselves from Utah and worry about the rest later.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:29 pm

Stole my question :mad1:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Re: LQOTD: Houston or Utah tonight?

Postby Chopper on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:50 pm

i think you should look forward, not back.

I want HOU to lose. The lakers can outpace Utah down the stretch, especially with Utah's hard schedule. Lakers should be looking to move up. GSW is likely to lose tonight too so hopefully Lakers can gain ground back form losing against PHX.
Chopper

Postby dneprovec on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:51 pm

according to this web site
http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NBA/West ... akers.html
How we did yesterday and who we should root for today.

If winner is:
Houston vs Utah -5.9
Houston vs Utah +2.6

it means houston win is better for playoff odds
dneprovec

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:56 pm

I go with Utah losing. Houston is playing better ball and are less likely to have as many slipups as Utah over the course of the season. Distancing ourselves from the team behind us is also key to not having losses like the Suns game cost us. Plus they hold the tie breaker if we finish with the same record.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion