LQOTD: How far can we (+Pau) go?

Re: LQOTD: How far can we (+Pau) go?

Postby Chillbongo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:04 pm

Without thinking anything through whatsoever,

if we get a favorable match up round 1 (SAS), then WCF.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:12 am

Chillbongo wrote:Without thinking anything through whatsoever,

if we get a favorable match up round 1 (SAS), then WCF.

If the playoffs started today:

1 San Antonio
8 Lakers

4 Clippers
5 Denver

2 Thunder
7 Rockets

3 Grizzlies
6 Warriors

That 2nd round match-up is a b**** because I think Denver takes that series in 4 or 5 games. Denver is the team that I think MOST takes us out of our comfort zone. More so than the Thunder or the Clippers.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:26 am

Quite frankly, I never did like Dwight & Pau starting at the same time together, IMO. I liked what Clark was bringing when was producing; he was hitting the 3-point shot, quicker & more athletic, etc. Pau is slower, doesn't get back in transition as fast, and I think would be better coming off the bench, IMO. We've been winning game without him and it's going to be interesting to see how this all fits.

To answer the question though, I think we can conceivably pull a 1st round upset. The games aren't B2B, the tempo generally slows down, and I think we'd be more tuned in on the road in that playoff environment. I don't know if we get past the 2nd round, though. Styles make match-ups; nevertheless, if we've developed a rhythm & confidence, we can definitely make some noise...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:31 am

Controlling the transition game is as easy as executing in the half-court. Memphis and San Antonio are two teams that do this well.

What happens when you force teams like Denver and Clippers to play a half court game? They're lost.

The rest of this year has to be spent on

1. Making the playoffs
2. Chemistry - limiting turnovers, communicating on defense, executing on offense.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:40 am

^ It sounds easy, but it's not really that simple.

Teams just pressure the living crap out of our guards because they know no one else is moving around. It makes defense easy.

I think if we had a full year together and a full camp and all that fun stuff, we'd have a better ability to move off the ball and control turnovers, but where we are now that's a tall order.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:36 am

therealdeal wrote:If the playoffs started today:

1 San Antonio
8 Lakers

4 Clippers
5 Denver

2 Thunder
7 Rockets

3 Grizzlies
6 Warriors

That 2nd round match-up is a b**** because I think Denver takes that series in 4 or 5 games. Denver is the team that I think MOST takes us out of our comfort zone. More so than the Thunder or the Clippers.

I agree, I think Denver and the Clippers are equal in terms of taking us out of our comfort. But Denver has the edge because they're all young, long, athletic, and they have a couple of guys that can create their own shot (Lawson, Iggy, Miller). Clippers are CP3 dependant, and their bench is not as athletic.

I was mostly hoping that we get SAS as the 2nd seed with us being 7 (OKC #1). That would hopefully put us against either the Grizzlies or Warriors round 2 who we could take in a 7 game series. We'd need to play 2 rounds of half-court defense and save our legs for the WCF against the Thunder.

I doubt that happens with OKC struggling a bit, they'll probably stay at 2. I still think the 6th seed is within reach, but that means we'd probably play OKC round 2.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:50 am

Oh okay gotcha. Yeah I'm not sure okc gets to the one seed. Things would really have to break our way.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Kit on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Vs the Spurs first round = hack a dwight.
Kit

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:48 pm

Kit wrote:Vs the Spurs first round = hack a dwight.

Any team we face is going to do it. Dwight's just got to make his free throws.

I'd live with 25/39 if that's what's teams going to do.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby karacha on Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:49 pm

That should be good for Dwight. He has to learn how to deal with it.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:00 pm

karacha wrote:That should be good for Dwight. He has to learn how to deal with it.

Yeah, but isn't that what the season is for? He's the most fouled player in the NBA, or shoots the most FT's or whatever. Now is the time to learn. Playoffs are about execution.

I would hate to see Nash/Kobe/Jamison/MWP/Gasol be a year older because we couldn't win it this year because Dwight got hacked. Yaddimean?
Chillbongo

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:17 pm

That's the nature of the game until there is a rule for that. We had to deal with it with Shaq, we have to deal with it with Dwight. Shaq came through in the clutch in the playoffs, Dwight has been fairly good at that in the season.

Intentional fouls should be treated like an defensive-3 seconds technical foul. One shot plus the ball imo.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Clear path. 2 shots and the ball.

As much as we would benefit, it's going to be annoying how they determine what's intentional. I could just see them ruling certain fouls intentional that weren't, and vice versa.

Oh well, the NBA is gonna suck
Chillbongo

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:12 pm

Chillbongo wrote:Clear path. 2 shots and the ball.

As much as we would benefit, it's going to be annoying how they determine what's intentional. I could just see them ruling certain fouls intentional that weren't, and vice versa.

Oh well, the NBA is gonna suck

Well, they should make it where even if there is a foul off the ball, the player with the ball will shoot the free throws. If it's a foul on a rebound, for example, that may be harder to sort out.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby karacha on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Learning is a process. During the regular season, and in the playoffs. Shaq had to deal with it, and so will Dwight.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:11 pm

is the answer Not very far? :man1:
khmrP

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion