Postby trodgers on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:39 am

Lakers Ups and Downs:
October: 0-2
November: 8-6
December: 7-7
January: 5-11
February: 9-4
March: 6-2

After a 15-15 start, the Lakers floundered in January. Since then they're 15-6. They're making a playoff run without Gasol; so the question is how far can this team go with a healthy Pau added to the mix?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: LQOTD: How far can we (+Pau) go?

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:06 am

Our defense is 1st round exit material ...

-Our D has to get better and especially more consistent through 48 minutes of a game if we want to make some noise in the postseason .

-We'll have to take better care of the ball in order not to be killed in transition too... two things which rarely happened this season .

I stay optimistic as a Lakers fan .. but as a realistic heavy b-ball "viewer" , we're a 1st round exit
wcsoldier81

Postby Finwë on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:18 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:Our defense is 1st round exit material ...

-Our D has to get better and especially more consistent through 48 minutes of a game if we want to make some noise in the postseason .

-We'll have to take better care of the ball in order not to be killed in transition too... two things which rarely happened this season .

I stay optimistic as a Lakers fan .. but as a realistic heavy b-ball "viewer" , we're a 1st round exit

Sadly I agree.

Even in last night's game, where we saw stretches of really good D, there were still a bunch of plays were we looked TERRIBLE on that end, particularly on pick and roll action. It helped our case that Indy was missing a bunch of shots, and we played (we usually do) good D on post-up players (Hibbert, West), but that type of P&R D will be our demise against either SAS, OKC or the Clippers. Just can't win that way.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:26 pm

The thing is I don't believe we're even close to peaking as a team. When we were 17-25 the only thing this team had to focus on was winning games at all costs no matter how ugly they were. We haven't been brilliant offensively or defensively but we've won enough games to get us back in the mix.

My hope is that when Pau comes back and Kobe gets healthy, THEN we'll peak. The defense should improve with getting Pau back because right now we're garbage when Dwight leaves the game. Having a 7 footer with length and good post-defense should help a lot. I also believe the offense will get better with Pau's passing and post up ability. Over these final 15 games we should get a good indicator of just how good this team can be.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby quartzcharm on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:06 pm

How far can we go? Championship.

How far will we go? Probably not quite that far.
quartzcharm

Postby Alcindor on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:21 pm

Our D is certain to get better in the playoffs when things slow down a little and Kobe and Metta fully devote themselves to that end. Not to mention, Dwight's improvement. We still won't be good transition defenders but those things will help lessen that impact some.
Alcindor

Postby Chopper on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:25 pm

playing well right now. But still a while to go for a solid D and controlling the transition game. If everyone gets healthy at the right time, who know though...
Chopper

Postby Tobias Funke on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:29 pm

I agree with others that our D isnt where it should be if we were gonna be a real threat in the playoffs, but Dwight is improving all the time and the other players seem to be feeding off of him defensively. Players like Tawn and Nash are working as hard as Ive ever seen them work defensively, and even though they wont be locking down anyone, I think it sets a good tone.

Even though winning a few games doesn't hurt, its the renewed attitude from the players and finally getting healthy that I look at when I express a glimmer of optimism for our post-season chances.

Ive said it in another thread before, but stranger things have happened than a team with talent like this getting it together and making a little noise in the playoffs. Its way too early to predict though, it would depend on who we get to face first.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:47 pm

Since there is absolutely no consequence for being wrong, I'll say it again:

Lakers will upset in the first round. This is a team of smart veterans ready to settle into a series. The ONLY issue I see is the Clippers. They have played at another level each meeting so far.

I could absolutely see LA taking down the Spurs or Thunder. Especially with Pau.
SpencerHarrison

Postby snackdaddy on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:08 pm

We're playing much better lately. Since we bottomed out at 17-25 we're 19-7. Not at a championship level, but better than the first 3 months of the season.

If we want to upset SA or OKC in round 1 we'll have to play better defense. I know the players are capable, but is Dantoni capable of focusing on it?
snackdaddy

Postby dj vitus on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:05 pm

We still won't beat any of the top 5 teams in the West in a 7-game series. We just don't match up with any of them at all.

I'd be surprised if we won more than 1 playoff game this year.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby khmrP on Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:58 pm

Turnovers and Defense, two key components to winning and we suck at both so I dont see us going very far.
khmrP

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:05 pm

Pau has to come back on the same page as everyone else too.

If he's going to come in crying about not finishing games or starting, and just floats around like he's done the last 2 playoffs, we're not going to see anything new. Early playoff exit.

If we get the Pau that buys in, plays his game (in the post), and focuses on energy and effort, we may be for a great run.

He really is our x-factor. We usually know what we get from Kobe, Nash and Dwight now. Blake and Jamison are coming along, but seem to struggle on the road outside the Indiana game. But Pau is the x-factor for this team if we're thinking we have a chance. Take it or leave it.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:08 pm

I just don't think we have any clue yet. We haven't had a healthy Gasol all year. So it feels way premature to say what we can do or not do until we get him back and at something resembling his full strength which might take the rest of the regular season and into the playoffs. It's so hard to know what to expect and also to know how D' Antoni is going to use him as well.

I've maintained all year that I think with full health (or close to it) we are actually the team that matches up best against the CHEAT. I may be crazy for thinking that, but I do. Their weakness is size in the post and that's our strength. Unfortunately our weakness is transition D and that's one of their strengths.

The big problem I see though going forward, besides the obvious lack of home court in any playoff series, is against the athletic teams of the west - mainly OKC. I just don't see us getting past them. We would have our troubles against the Clips and Nuggets as well, but not nearly as much as OKC, IMO. That's the one team I cannot see us getting over. Sure we might not get past SAS or Memphis but I see those as better matchups for us. The half court teams are better suited for us.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:37 am

^^^^ pb is we don't take advantage of our size against the Cheat ... 1-5 against them , only win coming against a Bosh less Miami team ...

Watching our team being clueless about how to attack fronting post defense is mindblowing ...

Overall , we never had a full roster all season long ... you just don't click as a team in a couple of weeks and beat the best teams in the league ... it basically never happened
wcsoldier81

Postby bumrusherer on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:12 am

I think at this point we should just appreciate playing extra games after the reg season. We've done nothing to assume that we could take down one of the better teams.
So considering how far under .500 we were a couple months back, lets just enjoy the good run we have had and hopefully it can continue for a while longer.

Realistically, we dont play good enough defense from minute 1 to minute 48 to win a series with the seeding we are likely to get.
bumrusherer

Postby Savory Griddles on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:46 am

We may win one game in the first round. This team has no defensive identity. Its really remarkable when you consider that Orlando was one of the better teams defensively when Dwight was there and he had awful defenders around him. Just goes to show how little D'Antoni pays attention to it.

It really doesn't matter. The Lakers are championship or bust, and NO ONE (barring injury) is beating the Heat in a seven game series. Said it before this streak, and I'm saying it during it. They are VERY good.
Savory Griddles

Postby Lakerjones on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:56 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:^^^^ pb is we don't take advantage of our size against the Cheat ... 1-5 against them , only win coming against a Bosh less Miami team ...

Watching our team being clueless about how to attack fronting post defense is mindblowing ...

Overall , we never had a full roster all season long ... you just don't click as a team in a couple of weeks and beat the best teams in the league ... it basically never happened

^^ Good point wc, and that's another reason I hate the D' Antoni hire. I don't have much faith in him to utilize our size because, let's face it, that's NEVER been his strength as a coach. If we play small style ball with Pau out on the perimeter shooting threes we would get swept.

You are quite right that it's very difficult for a team to it around towards the end of the year and come on strong to beat the best teams in the league. That said, I still think if this roster is healthy, we ARE one of the best teams in the league. Now we'll have to prove it of course. But again, I don't hate our chances against half the teams that are up at the top right now. I think we could beat SAS and Memphis. I have my doubts about Denver and the Clips, but I don't think either of those teams is insurmountable either especially if we play them in the second round, not the first.

The one team that I cannot figure out how we get over is OKC. If we play them in the first round I think we are toast. In fact, even if we didn't see them until the WCF, I am just not seeing us getting over on them. They are hungry, they have speed, athleticism, youth, superstar play from Durant and Westbrook, and front line defensive strength and rebounding in Porkins and Chewbacca. Plus home court? Lordy. They look like our kryptonite for sure.

The CHEAT do not scare me the way OKC does. I feel like we have a chance against Miami. I'm not able to envision beating OKC in a series. But maybe someone will knock them out?
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:13 am

i'm thinking of the LA Kings last year and their miraculous run

they battled just to get in the playoffs and rode a hot streak...by the time they got in, they were rolling

come playoffs, it just comes together for the Lakers...
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby lakerfan2 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:37 am

and that took healthy, a buy in from the team, and effort.

so far we have parts of the buy in and effort, but it's still inconsistent. a vast improvement from the beginning of the year, but we're going to need a lot of work if we're going to do what the kings did.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby khmrP on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:38 am

that kings scenario hardly ever happens in bball....I dont watch Hockey but I do see alot lower seeds beating higher seeds in the playoffs every year, especially in the 1st round.
Last edited by khmrP on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
khmrP

Postby pound4pound1 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:56 am

lakerfan2 wrote:and that took healthy, a buy in from the team, and effort.

so far we have parts of the buy in and effort, but it's still inconsistent. a vast improvement from the beginning of the year, but we're going to need a lot of work if we're going to do what the kings did.

i see Dwight rounding into shape to become the defensive force that Quick was

the offensive weapons; Kobe, Nash, Pau and role players like Blake, Metta, Earl all chipping in

an identity found on their way to making the post season...a belief in their scheme because wins finally started to come...a new coach that everyone said 'meh' to when he was first brought on board

i can see it happening
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby dj vitus on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:36 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:Watching our team being clueless about how to attack fronting post defense is mindblowing...

Exactly. Phoenix gave us so much trouble. If every team did this, we might go winless the rest of the season. Shh, don't tell anyone!
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby dj vitus on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:47 am

Lakerjones wrote:I've maintained all year that I think with full health (or close to it) we are actually the team that matches up best against the CHEAT. I may be crazy for thinking that, but I do. Their weakness is size in the post and that's our strength. Unfortunately our weakness is transition D and that's one of their strengths.

I actually agree with this.

Only difference is they have been better at closing out games in the final minutes with all their 45% 3-point shooters plus a freakish LeBron.

But recently we've started to figure out how to close out teams, too (Toronto and Indiana). And Kobe can still close out games just as well as LeBron if not better despite being 34.
dj vitus

Postby GoldenChocobo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:09 pm

Will we see the silver-medalist Pau or the white swan?
GoldenChocobo

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion