LQOTD: how many of remaining 28 are Wins?

Re: LQOTD: how many of remaining 28 are Wins?

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:57 am

47-35 :jam2:
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby jlkr on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:39 pm

46-36 is very optimistic IMO. Absolutely no margin of error to get to 46 wins. One of these nights against a non-playoff team, they'll not be able to make that comeback like they did this week against NO and TOR. And there goes 46-36.

44-38 is more likely. And keep your fingers crossed whether that will be enough.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby borri on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:55 pm

jlkr wrote:46-36 is very optimistic IMO. Absolutely no margin of error to get to 46 wins. One of these nights against a non-playoff team, they'll not be able to make that comeback like they did this week against NO and TOR. And there goes 46-36.

44-38 is more likely. And keep your fingers crossed whether that will be enough.

With what Utah has left....44 should be enough. Let's get at least 45 to be safe.
borri

Postby KB24 on Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:58 pm

44 will be enough. The question is whether we can get there.

We have a tough schedule, are a crappy team on the road and need to win 13 out of 19 games. Doesn't sound very realistic to me. 11 of 19...ya I can see that happening if we play solid basketball. Having seen the last two games where we almost got trounced with garbage bins...I have my doubts.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby snackdaddy on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:07 pm

I count 45 wins. That would put us at 13-6 over the final 19 games. Quite possible considering we're 15-6 over the last 21 games.

Gawd, how sad is it when I'm hoping the Lakers can win 45 games? :man3:

Oh well, baby steps. You can't win anything if you don't make it. So one step at a time. I'm hoping that by some sort of miracle the team will have new life come playoffs and all of a sudden be that championship caliber teams. Hey, I can dream can't I? :man1:
snackdaddy

Postby Coach Chris on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:26 pm

We can't sleep on Portland either, they are only one game behind and have half of their remaining games at home. They are much tougher at home, figure they will win 7 or so (hopefully not one against us) at home, we need them to do poorly on their 11 road games.
Dr. Jerry Buss
January 27, 1933 - February 18, 2013
Coach Chris

Postby KB24 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:06 am

the good news is every team around the Lakers is garbage on the road.

The bad news is the Lakers are garbage on the road too.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:15 am

KB24 wrote:44 will be enough. The question is whether we can get there.

We have a tough schedule, are a crappy team on the road and need to win 13 out of 19 games. Doesn't sound very realistic to me. 11 of 19...ya I can see that happening if we play solid basketball. Having seen the last two games where we almost got trounced with garbage bins...I have my doubts.

KB we only need to go 12 and 7 the rest of the way to get to 44 wins. That's where I've been hoping we can get through all of this - win two out of every three this entire way. We're just slightly ahead of that now. But we've got some tough games coming up on the road and in April some tough ones at home. But I think 12 and 7 is doable. We need to play better than the last two games though which were terrible.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby BadCoaching on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:30 am

I'm predicting they'll peak going into the playoffs. Had a nice run with Kobe shouldering the load but I think the team will come around more..

If they don't we're toast anyway so may as well hope for it.
BadCoaching

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:11 pm

KB24 wrote:the good news is every team around the Lakers is garbage on the road.

The bad news is the Lakers are garbage on the road too.

This made me laugh. :man10:
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Jellincon on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Jellincon wrote:
Jellincon wrote:at least 1

Jellincon

Postby jlkr on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:08 pm

It gets tougher for the rest of March. Just 2 home games to the end of the month. Versus 8 road games. I only count two somewhat easy games out of those road contests.

There are at least 4 quality road opponents (ATL, IND, GS and MIL) plus a couple more that have upset possibilities (PHX 2nd night of b2b set; SAC 4th road game in 6 nights).

I have them at 6-4 for this stretch so they would finish March at 39-35 which would put them in decent position for 44 wins. Sweep the home games and split the road games.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby trodgers on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:04 am

Projected Wins updated:

San Antonio 62
Oklahoma City 60
Memphis 55
LA Clippers 55
Denver 53
Golden State 44
Houston 43
LA Lakers 43
Utah 42
Portland 38
Dallas 37
Minnesota 29
Phoenix 28
New Orleans 28
Sacramento 27

Lakers move into 8th, actually about 1/2 a game behind Houston.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby JGC on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:51 am

I'm not convinced until we can beat at least ONE quality opponent (and by quality, I mean a potential first round matchup type of opponent) on the road. I think the best team we've beaten is the Nets. We don't have one win against a top East or West team yet.
JGC

Postby trodgers on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:29 am

On the road? We beat the Warriors, too.
At home, several good teams (OKC notably).
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:41 am

Again, I'm hoping we keep up 2 wins to every loss. That would mean 12-6 down the stretch. It's doable. Now coming up we have a very tough stretch with the three road games. Orlando should be a win, but with the surrounding hoopla of Dwight returning it could get emotional and we could possibly get derailed. Hopefully not. Atlanta is second night of a back to back which would normally be an almost automatic loss, but apparently they will also be coming into it as a back to back after slugging it out with the Heat. So maybe, just maybe we can squeak that win out in their house. Then Indy at home where they are difficult.

I fully expected us to go 1-2 on this trip. We'll see what happens. Luckily after this they have an easier stretch opponent-wise and they SHOULD make up some ground. If we can go 2-1 on this trip it'll be a big success in my book. Not the end of the world if we happen to lose, but I don't want our momentum to drop.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:20 am

12-6 is doable. No, we must win Orlando. No excuses...can't drop it like we did when Nash went to PHX. Indiana beat us at home with a stupid lay up by Paul George at the last second. We need to return the favor. Beating Indiana at home would show that the team really has turned a corner. The ATL game is up in the air....let's just hope Dwight feels some nostalgia and invites his friends to the game and dominates in front of them. 2-1 is expected, anything worse and we're just an "8th seed".
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:38 am

Lakerjones wrote:Again, I'm hoping we keep up 2 wins to every loss. That would mean 12-6 down the stretch. It's doable. Now coming up we have a very tough stretch with the three road games. Orlando should be a win, but with the surrounding hoopla of Dwight returning it could get emotional and we could possibly get derailed. Hopefully not. Atlanta is second night of a back to back which would normally be an almost automatic loss, but apparently they will also be coming into it as a back to back after slugging it out with the Heat. So maybe, just maybe we can squeak that win out in their house. Then Indy at home where they are difficult.

I fully expected us to go 1-2 on this trip. We'll see what happens. Luckily after this they have an easier stretch opponent-wise and they SHOULD make up some ground. If we can go 2-1 on this trip it'll be a big success in my book. Not the end of the world if we happen to lose, but I don't want our momentum to drop.

I'm with you. I think they can exceed that 12-6, but they need to get consistency. They need to have some games where they come out, do work, then get to rest the starters because we did what needed to be done. We're almost there. We controlled the game against Chicago. And while the Toronto and New Orleans games were kind of out of control, we showed that we can win games and we showed ourselves what it took to get the job done.

We need to bottle the good parts of the last 3 games and do that on a more consistent basis. That's why I think tonight is a good warm up test for the next two games.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:42 am

trodgers wrote:On the road? We beat the Warriors, too.

Really? You think Warriors was a quality win? I mean, that's not a team we expect to face in the postseason, and that isn't really a measuring stick team for us is it?

Is Golden State, a team many of us thought was so bad they would flounder and give up their playoff spot to a non-playoff team, truly a quality win?

This sounds like one of those where, GS is a tough road opponent when we want to use it as a quality win example, and a team falling apart when we want to be hopeful that they'll yield their spot to us. Which is it? Let's pick one guys and stick with it.
JGC

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:43 am

We have to win tonight. Atlanta & Indiana will both be tough. This is a must win, IMO
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Jellincon on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:44 pm

Jellincon wrote:
Jellincon wrote:
Jellincon wrote:at least 1

Jellincon

Postby karacha on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:50 pm

Keep winning, peak just before the playoffs, get Pau back.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:53 pm

karacha wrote:Keep winning, peak just before the playoffs, get Pau back.

adjust to Pau :/ last remaining hurdle

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:07 pm

We got the easy one out of the way in EXACTLY the fashion I was hoping: dominant. We kind of let them stick around a little, but when we put our foot down it was clear who was winning that game.

Now we've got to take 1 of the next 2 games.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:10 pm

JGC wrote:
trodgers wrote:On the road? We beat the Warriors, too.

Really? You think Warriors was a quality win? I mean, that's not a team we expect to face in the postseason, and that isn't really a measuring stick team for us is it?

They're sixth seed in the West. On the road. We beat them. Yes, that's a quality win. Surely you're the one who owes an explanation of why it's not.

Is Golden State, a team many of us thought was so bad they would flounder and give up their playoff spot to a non-playoff team, truly a quality win?

Do you mean that you think that many people think LA will pass Golden State? If so, I think you're wrong that many people think that. If that's not what you mean, I have no idea what you mean.

This sounds like one of those where, GS is a tough road opponent when we want to use it as a quality win example, and a team falling apart when we want to be hopeful that they'll yield their spot to us. Which is it? Let's pick one guys and stick with it.

We beat them in December. That was a long time ago. There is absolutely no problem with thinking they were both good then and fading now. But let me ask again, who thinks we're going to pass Golden State?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion