LQOTD: Is Kobe Shooting Lakers out of Games?

LQOTD: Is Kobe Shooting Lakers out of Games?

Postby trodgers on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:38 am

Honestly, the question is absurd, as no one really looks at the relevant data when trying to evaluate this causal claim. Here is a ridiculous amount of data. I look just at LA's losses in December, broken down by Quarter. I look at Kobe's FG attempts per 12 minutes, the +/- with him on the floor.

First Q
Average: 7.3 FGA/12 minutes
Average +/-: -1.5
Wins: 3
Losses: 3
>6 FGA/12: 2 wins, 2 losses
</=6 FGA/12: 1 win, 1 loss

Second Q
Average: 8.4 FGA/12 minutes
Average +/-: -5.7
Wins: 1
Losses: 4
Ties: 1
>6 FGA/12: 0 win, 3 losses, 1 tie
Entered Losing: 1 win, 3 losses
Entered Winning: 0 wins, 1 tie, 1 loss
Entered Winning + Shot 6+/12: 0 wins, 1 tie, 1 loss (13.6 FGA/12)

Third Q
Average: 6.8 FGA/12 minutes
Average +/-: +3.7
Wins: 4
Losses: 1
>6 FGA/12: 3 wins, 1 tie
Entered Losing: 3 win, 0 losses, 1 tie
Entered Winning: 0 win, 1 loss
Entered Winning + Shot 6+/12: 0 wins, 1 loss (6 FGA/12)

Fourth Q
Average: 9.9 FGA/12 minutes
Average +/-: -2.8
Wins: 2
>6 FGA/12: 2 wins, 3 losses, 1 tie
</=6 FGA/12: 0 games
Entered Losing: 2 wins, 1 loss, 1 tie
Entered Winning: 0 win, 2 losses
Entered Winning + Shot 6+/12: 0 wins, 2 loss (12.5 FGA/12)

So, in order to test a causal claim, look at "Losses" given "Shoots a lot" and "Losses" given "Doesn't shoot a lot"

In Quarters in which the team was winning when Kobe entered and in which he shot 6+ times, the Lakers were 0-4-1; he shot an average of 11.6 times in those quarters.
In Quarters in which the team was winning when Kobe entered, the Lakers were 0-4-1.

In other words, I think there is insufficient evidence here to make a claim, as there is no legit contrast class.

If we go by wins vs. losses (and ties):
Wins: 10 Kobe shoots an average of 7.2/12 min
Losses: 11 Kobe shoots an average of 9.4/12 min
Ties: 3 Kobe shoots an average of 12.2/12 min
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: LQOTD: Is Kobe Shooting Lakers out of Games?

Postby trodgers on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:40 am

I guess what I'm asking is...someone tell me what "too much shooting" is. Then I'll evaluate the data.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:49 am

In my simple opinion: No.

Kobe takes some "WTF, was that Kobe" type shots every game which we all know. So does every other shooter on the team. He is a scorer that is what he does and he is arguable one of the best to do that in the game. Monday morning QB or Backseat drivers will say stuff like "he had so and so open" or "he could of went to the hole to get the foul" but truth is no matter which he chose to do someone would find cause to complain. If he passed it, like he did to Blake in the playoffs last year then he is an idiot. If he takes it to the hole instead of passing it to Blake he is a ballhog. If he dumped it into Howard late who gets fouled and misses several key freethrows then "Kobe wasn't playing smart he knows the ball can't go to Dwight at that time." So the short answer is "No" and the long answer is "sometimes he can trust his teammates more."
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Congo Cash on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:57 am

Honestly, his TOs are more alarming than his shot attempts, and playing 40+ minutes everytime (although the roster is pretty banged up and they are struggling to win games)... Oh, and his god awful defense...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:06 am

His defense is the biggest issue, Kobe shooting translates to points, his defense negates that and puts us in a hole.....

When you're telling arguably the greatest SCORER in the NBA to play PG and have the ball in his hands for a majority of the time, what do you think will happen? He's got the ball more often, he knows he can score, he's going to work, that's just his mentality.

When Nash comes back, Kobe won't have the ball in his hands as much and will be taking less shots at a better clip.

As far as his shots right now, it's tough because you would have to go back and look at everyone because truthfully, IMO, he's not taking that many BAD shots. He just has his hands on the ball so much that it's just bound to equal more shot attempts. He's not a PG, he's not going to magically defer to everyone.

What needs to happen is when others get the ball, they need to be aggressive. It's pretty clear that when everyone goes passive, Kobe gets aggressive and vice versa. Finding that happy medium would be ideal, but it's on both parties to do it.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakerfan2 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:20 am

Trick question.

No and yes.

No because a majority of these high volume shooting nights have been attempts to salvage the deficits the Lakers have faced a majority of this season. This team is currently lacking effort on both ends of the floor. Kobe puts in his effort offensively, but then it leads into...

Yes, he will start taking ill-advised shots. I love you Kobe, and you make the most ridiculous shots to get us back the leads. But he shouldn't feel empowered to keep shooting. He needs to get the ball moving to get others involved, which would make his job at getting another basket easier, rather than facing double triple teams, forcing up shots and drives that end up in turnovers. He needs to develop that trust again with someone. Right now, no ones really earned his blessings except Dwight, Metta and Meeks.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Greatest of All Time on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:23 am

trodgers wrote:Honestly, the question is absurd, as no one really looks at the relevant data when trying to evaluate this causal claim. Here is a ridiculous amount of data. I look just at LA's losses in December, broken down by Quarter. I look at Kobe's FG attempts per 12 minutes, the +/- with him on the floor.

First Q

Second Q

Third Q

Fourth Q

So, in order to test a causal claim, look at "Losses" given "Shoots a lot" and "Losses" given "Doesn't shoot a lot"

In Quarters in which the team was winning when Kobe entered and in which he shot 6+ times, the Lakers were 0-4-1; he shot an average of 11.6 times in those quarters.
In Quarters in which the team was winning when Kobe entered, the Lakers were 0-4-1.

In other words, I think there is insufficient evidence here to make a claim, as there is no legit contrast class.

Kobe Bryant can never take too many shots

Can you explain the wins and losses? Is one win counted as having a + for a quarter, is one loss counted as having a - for a quarter and is a tie counted as having 0 for a quarter? Also, I noticed you're counting FGA/12 min. Are they adjusted per 12 minutes stats?

Might I suggest also considering something like the average scoring efficiency during that time. (FG%, points per shot, whatever) Can't blame a guy for shooting if he's making them mirite?
Greatest of All Time

Postby John3:16 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:42 am

puffyusaf#2 wrote:In my simple opinion: No.

If Kobe's teammates are hitting shots and being aggressive, he has no problem facilitating. If they're missing, turning it over, and we're falling behind, he shoots to get us in, or keep us in, the games.
John3:16

Postby therealdeal on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:53 am

Doc Brown wrote:His defense is the biggest issue, Kobe shooting translates to points, his defense negates that and puts us in a hole.....

When you're telling arguably the greatest SCORER in the NBA to play PG and have the ball in his hands for a majority of the time, what do you think will happen? He's got the ball more often, he knows he can score, he's going to work, that's just his mentality.

When Nash comes back, Kobe won't have the ball in his hands as much and will be taking less shots at a better clip.

As far as his shots right now, it's tough because you would have to go back and look at everyone because truthfully, IMO, he's not taking that many BAD shots. He just has his hands on the ball so much that it's just bound to equal more shot attempts. He's not a PG, he's not going to magically defer to everyone.

What needs to happen is when others get the ball, they need to be aggressive. It's pretty clear that when everyone goes passive, Kobe gets aggressive and vice versa. Finding that happy medium would be ideal, but it's on both parties to do it.

All of this is right on the dot.

If Kobe was taking 25 shots a game and defending well enough on the other side that he didn't give the shots right back, no one would really care. He's been more efficient this season than he has in a long time and he's putting up great points/numbers in that time frame.

But his defense has been terrible. It's been better of late, but it was really pretty awful there for a good while and it's not going to be great any time soon.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby trodgers on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:58 am

GOAT: will look at efficiency #s. Fga are per 12 mins. Plus minus isn't. I'll run it. A win is a Time in which he checked in and out and the lead was larger when he left.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby wcsoldier81 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:12 am

I see it this way :

- I don't like games in which Kobe plays 1 on 5 as soon as the game starts ( Houston , Cleveland by instance this season ) because you can feel these are automatic losses ... the rest of the team isn't involved and plays disinterested on both ends off the floor

- Kobe ball has won very few games against a quality opponent for the latest 3 seasons so even when the rest of the team is struggling shooting the ball ( which is far to be the case in every game Kobe shoots a lot) , Kobe taking the majority of the shots won't work ...

the pb ? Every player stays passive and passes to Kobe on every possession ... the only player who would make a play is Metta ... a disaster waiting to happen for the most part... and Dwight is an interior player so somebody has to pass him the rock if he wants to make something happen.

That's why Nash return will be big ... finally a perimeter who will understand when the team has to stay away from Kobe ball , keep everybody involved AND is competent to make a play... especially down the stretch.

I couldn't care less about our team record when Kobe scores over 30 or attempts 20+ FG ...

Kobe ball hasn't been working at all for the last 2-3 seasons so KEEP PLAYING AS A TEAM
wcsoldier81

Postby k0i308v3 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:40 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:I see it this way :

- I don't like games in which Kobe plays 1 on 5 as soon as the game starts ( Houston , Cleveland by instance this season ) because you can feel these are automatic losses ... the rest of the team isn't involved and plays disinterested on both ends off the floor

- Kobe ball has won very few games against a quality opponent for the latest 3 seasons so even when the rest of the team is struggling shooting the ball ( which is far to be the case in every game Kobe shoots a lot) , Kobe taking the majority of the shots won't work ...

the pb ? Every player stays passive and passes to Kobe on every possession ... the only player who would make a play is Metta ... a disaster waiting to happen for the most part... and Dwight is an interior player so somebody has to pass him the rock if he wants to make something happen.

That's why Nash return will be big ... finally a perimeter who will understand when the team has to stay away from Kobe ball , keep everybody involved AND is competent to make a play... especially down the stretch.

I couldn't care less about our team record when Kobe scores over 30 or attempts 20+ FG ...

Kobe ball hasn't been working at all for the last 2-3 seasons so KEEP PLAYING AS A TEAM

I really hope that part is true, I do think Kobe does shoot a bit too much lately. Also some of his shots are really bad shots at times, even Stu points it out time and time when he takes bad shots.

“At the end of the day, it has nothing to do with [Mike] D’Antoni and his system. It’s all about what Kobe will allow to happen. When you play the Lakers, it’s like they don’t have a system. It’s whatever Kobe chooses it to be. If he wants to take all the shots, he’ll do that."

That quote was on Lakersnation, a interview that Chris Broussard had with a not to be named apposing coach. I agree with it, I wish he would feed other players especially Dwight early on. Most plays Dwight gets fouled even if he makes 1 of 2 or none teams will get into foul trouble if Kobe made it a point to feed Dwight on every possession. Foul trouble for Kobe is great he can get easy points at the FT line, or even and 1's at times rather then jacking up some of the shots he does at times that are not great choices.

However his Def. is the biggest issue he is not young anymore and some plays are just lazy plays at times. Not rotating over at times letting his man get put backs and easy buckets because he roams so much is aggravating. At the end of the day I support Kobe as much as the next Lakers fan but he needs to realize he needs to change some things as well.
k0i308v3

Postby Armani on Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:47 am

Kobe has a tendency to jack up a couple WTF type of shots every game, but he's not what's hurting the Laker O... that falls on the inconsistency of role-players, who sometimes fail to hit their shots consistently because MDA forces them to chuck up 3's whenever they get the ball.

Kobe's main problem is on D... not the O. Without him, the Laker O is usually lost... unless Meeks is having one of his hot streaks. Dwight's impact on O hasn't been all that great so far.
Armani

Postby TIME on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:20 am

Only when we lose.
Vitti uttered three words that surely applies to how Bryant made two free throws on one leg, walked off the court on his own and processed his rehabilitation plan amid the pain, frustration and tears.

“That’s really cool.”
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby k0i308v3 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:26 am

Armani wrote:Kobe has a tendency to jack up a couple WTF type of shots every game, but he's not what's hurting the Laker O... that falls on the inconsistency of role-players, who sometimes fail to hit their shots consistently because MDA forces them to chuck up 3's whenever they get the ball.

Kobe's main problem is on D... not the O. Without him, the Laker O is usually lost... unless Meeks is having one of his hot streaks. Dwight's impact on O hasn't been all that great so far.

Those WTF shots turn into fast breaks the other way in which 8 out of 10 times Kobe flails his hands up in the air asking for a call and doesn't run back, if he does it is a very lazy effort.That is a issue. Same with his turnovers = easy points the other way. Point being Nash's return should help Kobe won't have to play PG, hopefully less turnovers. Opposing teams have also always stated they will let Kobe go off they just have to contain other guys same this year with Dwight, Meeks, Pau . Kobe can get his 40 or 30+ but if he isn't getting others involved then we end up losing most of the time. That is on Kobe. I don't mind him shooting late game 4q but doing it all game has always been a issue. However he isn't as young as he once was and come playoffs he will be out of steam just like the year before. Granted playing him 40+ min doesn't help that either that does fall on Mike to get him more rest.
k0i308v3

Postby Juronimo on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:39 am

I had a whole post written up and I saw this response and all I can say is that I couldn't have said it better myself. I agree with this 100%.

Another thing that happens as a result of Kobe's chucking is that every guard now feels that they're at liberty to chuck like mad. When Farmar, Sasha and Brown were here they would chuck like mad. Now we're seeing our current guards doing the same thing, while not getting the ball inside. We've had games where we shoot 30 3's. That can't happen and we won't win anything playing like that.

Kobe ball does not work and not only hasn't it worked the past 3 seasons, it didn't work all that great before then either, it was just that he was athletic enough back then to get away with it here and there. What makes it worse now is that Kobe ball plays right into the other team's hands and they can game plan for it. Why have we had so many issues the last 3 seasons closing games out? Everyone knew we would go to Kobe ball.
RIP Nelson Mandela
July 18, 1918 - December 5, 2013
Juronimo

Postby babjizzle on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:47 am

Greatest of All Time wrote:
trodgers wrote:Honestly, the question is absurd, as no one really looks at the relevant data when trying to evaluate this causal claim. Here is a ridiculous amount of data. I look just at LA's losses in December, broken down by Quarter. I look at Kobe's FG attempts per 12 minutes, the +/- with him on the floor.

First Q

Second Q

Third Q

Fourth Q

Kobe Bryant can never take too many shots

Can you explain the wins and losses? Is one win counted as having a + for a quarter, is one loss counted as having a - for a quarter and is a tie counted as having 0 for a quarter? Also, I noticed you're counting FGA/12 min. Are they adjusted per 12 minutes stats?

Might I suggest also considering something like the average scoring efficiency during that time. (FG%, points per shot, whatever) Can't blame a guy for shooting if he's making them mirite?

I agree. its the "curse" of being a famous player, a lot of pressure and expectations on every single game can take its toll on you.
Get upto 50% discounts on Nike Basketball Shoes here http://nikebasketballshoes.net/
babjizzle

Postby Finwë on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:10 pm

Doc Brown wrote:His defense is the biggest issue, Kobe shooting translates to points, his defense negates that and puts us in a hole.....

This
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:23 pm

- I don't like games in which Kobe plays 1 on 5 as soon as the game starts... the rest of the team isn't involved and plays disinterested on both ends off the floor

the pb ? Every player stays passive and passes to Kobe on every possession ...

That's why Nash return will be big ... keep everybody involved AND is competent to make a play... especially down the stretch.

All very true. My problem is times when he tries to take over the game in crunch situations because he's so confident he can hit the shot, WHEN HIS TEAMMATES have been playing well.

I can't remember, but I think it was the Bobcats game (or maybe Philly) when the score was close in the 4th, Kobe took over and took some TOUGH CONTESTED shots early in the shot clock. He could have been making plays.

Then again he ended up drilling a bunch of impossible shots at crucial times. So I'll live with it.
Chillbongo

Postby pound4pound1 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:57 pm

well said, man....
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:33 pm

TWC has been showing the 2000 and 2001 playoff runs. Kobe has played the same way all the time. When teammates rotated Kobe would pass and kick. He attacked, set up on the block, waved feverishly for the ball no matter who was in the game and played full attack basketball. In short, Kobe has played essentially the same way no matter who is on the team. When guys played and acted like they wanted to be there Kobe did what was needed. CL's latest Troll pointed out that Ron Ron ignored Kobe on one play and took it himself. Teammates have to have the same energy, drive and will that Kobe has he supports them if they don't he does it himself plain and simple.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:16 pm

My quick answer is no. He is not shooting them out of games, and most of the time it seems to me like he's shooting them INTO games because few others on the team at that moment are making shots.

I hope all of that talk calms down when we get all of our guys back on the court. That's more where I'm concerned. With all 5 starters on the floor I want him to get back to the more efficient Kobe we saw earlier in the year with less overall shot attempts but higher percentage on makes.
Lakerjones

Postby trodgers on Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:44 am

Posted a BLOG (here on this site, blog section) that looks at the Mike Brown games. It's "only" five games, but it's pretty hard to argue that Kobe's excessive shooting can account for the 1-4 stretch.
blog.travisjrodgers.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby odom1year on Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:09 pm

When you have D12, Pau, Nash and MWP on the court, better share the ball instead of taking 41 shots, not to mention you have missed 25 of them.
odom1year

Postby odom1year on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:42 pm

Since Nash returning to the game, Kobe: 136 shots, Nash+Dwight+Gasol: 144 shots
odom1year

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion