LQOTD: Should LA Re-Sign Goudelock?

LQOTD: Should LA Re-Sign Goudelock?

Postby trodgers on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:37 am

Many of us were high on Goudelock before he was sent packing earlier this season. In limited glimpses, he has seemed to have improved his game a bit. He just posted a career high 20 points (in a playoff game, vs. the Spurs, nonetheless). Should he be back with LA? Next season?

If so, what would be a reasonable contract?
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: LQOTD: Should LA Re-Sign Goudelock?

Postby XXIV on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:42 am

He should most definitely be back, I always believed we would have kept him for Morris and hopefully management does just that this off season. The guy can score and it looks like he improved his defense a bit. As for his contract I think a two year deal with the second being a team option would be fair, not too sure on the price however. I could see them offering him the minimum though.
XXIV

Postby karacha on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:45 am

Yes, because he can actually fit a role off the bench.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:56 am

Hell yes re-sign this guy. He should have never been kicked out in the first place.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby revgen on Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:30 am

With the payroll the way it is, Kobe's need for a real backup, and Meek's inconsistency, yes I think he fills a need.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby abeer3 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:37 am

depends on what else is availabe in FA. given the uncertainty in kobe's situation and the likelihood that mwp will be gone via amnesty, the lakers will need an nba-sized wing, preferably a pretty decent one. goudelock is too small for his game in the nba to be any more than a situational guy, imo.

so, at vet min, provided the lakers have already snagged a couple wings with nba size, ok.
abeer3

Postby M2K on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:46 am

Goudelock didn't put up those numbers against some scrub team in the middle of the season. He put them up against the vaunted San Antonio Spurs defense in the playoffs. So...should LA re-sign Goudelock? Uh... hell yes!
M2K

Postby karacha on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:53 am

abeer3 wrote:...goudelock is too small for his game in the nba to be any more than a situational guy, imo...

Well, yeah. I think we all agree he is more of a situational guy, as you say. A combo guard to provide some scoring off the bench. He is not able to drop 20 consistently, but he is a pretty explosive scorer who is not afraid to chuck the ball, and is willing to create his own shot. No more, no less.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:10 am

Meeks has a team option, so we can let him walk, no?
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:31 am

Punk-101 wrote:Meeks has a team option, so we can let him walk, no?

Yes and we should. Glock is a cheaper and more effective 3rd stringer.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:35 am

revgen wrote:With the payroll the way it is, Kobe's need for a real backup, and Meek's inconsistency, yes I think he fills a need.

^^ This. We don't know when Kobe's going to play again. We hope the beginning of the season, but no one knows. We were overloaded at PG last year and underloaded at SG. I don't feel safe going into the season without 2 backup SG's considering the severity of Kobe's injury and uncertainty on the timing of his return.

Glock is cheap and he and Meeks can compete to see who'll be the potential starter if Kobe's absent. Either way we should have both.

The main thing is to get rid of some of the point guards. Morris should go. Duhon should go. Well, at least Duhon should go. Since Blake and Nash are injury prone now, maybe we need to keep Morris in case, too.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:37 am

Meeks is D12 best buddy on the team ... it may save his spot on the roster ... I definetely would let him go though
wcsoldier81

Postby Weezy on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:43 am

I would like to go after Dorell Wright, but yes I think Glock should be re-signed for cheap as at lest a "3rd string" guard. It's not easy to find guys that can score in bunches like he can for cheap.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:46 am

Like I said in Goudelock's other thread: he's okay, but he's not exactly ready yet.

There's a reason that even though he was posting fantastic numbers in the D-League no other teams have signed him.

Sure he posted really good numbers in that last game but almost any player in the league can get you 40 points and 3 steals in 40 minutes. He needs to shoot more with a quicker release. He needs to continue developing into a good defender. He needs to continue making quick decisions with the ball, attacking the basket, and making the defense work.

I think we bring him back next season along with Meeks. They'll push each other for the 2nd and 3rd roster spot at the 2 guard.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby raviator on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:32 pm

The guy can score. We need scoring in the worst way especially on the perimeter.
raviator

Postby Chillbongo on Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:55 pm

Youth? Check

Cheap? Check

Creates his own shot? Check

Can make a shot? Check

2 years/$1.5M; team option year 2
Chillbongo

Postby JSM on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:58 pm

Bring him back for the minimum. His scoring ability and floater should be able to get him a steady job on someone's roster (hopefully ours). I don't think he's a backup, but definitely a 3rd stringer who can get some burn depending the situation.

With Dwight we need players who can help him free some space for himself, Glock isn't my first option for this but he certainly be one of many needed additions in such a wave of signings.

Ideally we acquire a backup for Kobe capable of starters minutes (Meeks does't cut it) until he returns and Glock can play backup then when Kobe returns Glock drops to 3rd string.

We need cheap options to fill out the bench and Glock fits the bill.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Return to Lakers Discussion