LQOTD: Time to Move Gasol?

Re: LQOTD: Time to Move Gasol?

Postby laakers on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:17 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
laakers wrote:Why not move him to the bench? Look at the Spurs, Manu is clearly their 3rd best player but he comes off the bench. It's been working for them for years, why not try to move Pau there? There's too much wasted talent to have all of our big 4 playing at the same time. The bench can run the offense through Pau, I think it might work given a chance.

Because Pau is a star starter.

And Manu Ginobili isn't?
laakers

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:18 pm

laakers wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:
laakers wrote:Why not move him to the bench? Look at the Spurs, Manu is clearly their 3rd best player but he comes off the bench. It's been working for them for years, why not try to move Pau there? There's too much wasted talent to have all of our big 4 playing at the same time. The bench can run the offense through Pau, I think it might work given a chance.

Because Pau is a star starter.

And Manu Ginobili isn't?

Ginobili is very good. I said that because Pau doesn't want to come off the bench because he is a, "star starter".
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:07 pm

trodgers wrote:Straightforward question: is it time for the Lakers to get rid of Gasol?

It was time after the 2011 semis - we just didn't want to admit it yet.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby DHL on Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:24 pm

yes
Lakers fan since 1997
I LOVE THE CLUBLAKERS SIGNATURE RULES!!!!
DHL

Postby MC on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:06 am

Weezy wrote:What does it matter WHY Pau isn't good here if the conclusion no matter what is that he needs to go? Can he still play? Yes, I think so if given his own team or made the focus in the post on offense I believe he could easily average 18 and 10 again for another franchise. He's not doing that here though, whether it's because he's checked out mentally after being traded and then made the 3rd option, or injuries, or not getting along with the coach or like the coaches offense, whatever it may be. But whether he's checked out here, or he actually has declined and just isn't as good anymore, what does it matter as long as he's not producing for us, especially on defense and effort/rebounding? What will bumping this up if he does well elsewhere do, or prove? That you're smarter than everyone, that you enjoy a good self e-pat on the back? Doesn't mean jack **** what Pau does elsewhere if he's not doing it HERE. Will trading Pau solve all our issues and make us a contender 'magically'? Of course not, but he could land us some much needed pieces, youth, athleticism, perhaps defense and effort guys and maybe even a shooter. So that might not 'magically' make us a contender, but it could make us a contender in the long run.

why does it matter? lol...........

it matters if you have a coaching issue rather than an actual player issue..... one that openly alienates players at times as his only "motivation".... after that he's stumped

it will matter all of a sudden if the Lakers continue to fail post Gasol era while Gasol revives somewhere else

You need to cut out the root of the issue, not scratch the surface and pretend everything will be ok after that.......

My opinion of this situation would be completely different if I felt they even tried to work with Pau post Jackson but the reality of the last 2 years is they have not....he's an after thought they kept anyway all in the name of gimmick ball............... f'ing junior league crap from our FO this year...... the kings of panic with a touch of bi-polar.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby themasterphil on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:22 am

it was time since this happen....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8pV2v4wNJs ......he need to be traded right away, they need to do something bc this team not going anywhere
themasterphil

Postby cthroatgtr on Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:30 am

Gasol + Bynum didn't work. Gasol + Howard doesn't work. Gasol + Odom worked. This isn't that hard to figure out. Gasol is a C not a PF. One that also is the odd man out. Should have traded him last year when his value was higher. Certainly should have taken Smith when the chance was there.

I can only guess there is sentiment towards him, plus Kobe is in his camp. Everyone says Pau is a great guy. He played well over the summer. I think all of that has led them to hesitate but if they have any chance to save the season Pau would need to go. Its probably already too late though.
cthroatgtr

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:19 am

keep him as an expiring
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Postby Congo Cash on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:28 am

cthroatgtr wrote:Gasol + Bynum didn't work. Gasol + Howard doesn't work. Gasol + Odom worked. This isn't that hard to figure out. Gasol is a C not a PF. One that also is the odd man out. Should have traded him last year when his value was higher. Certainly should have taken Smith when the chance was there.

This... Why does the Lakers or MDA has to bend over trying to fit Pau when he clearly doesn't? The Lakers have too many post players and not enough floor spacers... I think it's pretty obvious who is the odd man out...
- insert signature here -
Congo Cash

Postby Lakers_323 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:31 am

Trade him for Kwame! :man12:
Lakers_323

Postby LoyalLakerfan44 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:36 am

cthroatgtr wrote:Gasol + Bynum didn't work. Gasol + Howard doesn't work. Gasol + Odom worked. This isn't that hard to figure out. Gasol is a C not a PF. One that also is the odd man out. Should have traded him last year when his value was higher. Certainly should have taken Smith when the chance was there.

I can only guess there is sentiment towards him, plus Kobe is in his camp. Everyone says Pau is a great guy. He played well over the summer. I think all of that has led them to hesitate but if they have any chance to save the season Pau would need to go. Its probably already too late though.

Most of what you say I agree with except trading Gasol at this time. I have a feeling Howard will leave, so then what happens with your center position? Lakers have to wait and or get a very good idea as to what Howard is going to do. At least you have Gasol which you can combine with some decent PF (Milsap) and you've got yourself a better interior combination. Personally I would rather have Gasol playing center and get a decent PF that can play defense and rebound. At the same time get a coach that stops this insanity of running old players, one that has a system that works. Lakers have to think about Nash and hope he retires because honestly he's toast (he is a major defensive liability), and it would take a year or two with MDA to build up a team that works with him. By that time he'd be like 41 or something.
LoyalLakerfan44

Postby karacha on Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:53 am

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:...I have a feeling Howard will leave, so then what happens with your center position?...

That's just a feeling. Howard can get the most $$ here and he loves California. The new team would be built around him, with a bunch of young, hungry players.

And even if he left -- nothing happens. Almost all our contracts are going to expire soon and Mitch will have a blank canvas, so to speak, to create a new team from scratch with some max contracts thrown in. Exciting times. In 2014 there is only one player on our payroll - Steve Nash. At that point he'll be an OK backup -- or an expiring 9M contract, which is huge.

But again, why would Dwight leave? He's young, he'll get in shape in the offseason and soon, he will have some exciting, hard working players to work with. Players better then Nelson, Hedo and Shard, for sure -- and look what he did with them.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby snackdaddy on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:06 am

Yes, Pau is the odd man out. Him and Howard in the post doesn't work. And Pau doesn't fit as a high post player. Sad thing is, Pau has better skills in the post than Howard. Look what he did yesterday when Howard got ejected. Yet, he's the odd man out.

I think Howard will stay in LA because money is usually the deciding factor. But his body language doesn't look like a guy who's happy with his new team. I hope its just frustration from losing.
snackdaddy

Postby khmrP on Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:52 am

we can't have 2 star type post players anymore, NOBODY in the league has it but NOBODY in the league fears it because this offense doesn't take advantage of it and neither did the princeston. Obviously PJ had success but we could already see Pau decline with Bynum emergence, I just dont think this pound them in the paint style works anymore and especially with Antoni who doesn't know how to play that type of style to begin with.
khmrP

Postby dj vitus on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:32 am

khmrP wrote:we can't have 2 star type post players anymore, NOBODY in the league has it but NOBODY in the league fears it because this offense doesn't take advantage of it and neither did the princeston. Obviously PJ had success but we could already see Pau decline with Bynum emergence, I just dont think this pound them in the paint style works anymore and especially with Antoni who doesn't know how to play that type of style to begin with.

You're right. In fact, 2 star post players has never really worked in the NBA. When we won our last two chips, Bynum averaged 6.3 points and then 8.6 points in the playoffs, respectively.

It was Gasol down low, Odom on the wing, and Bynum on the bench that worked. So why do we keep forcing it??? :bang:

Other than the Spurs' asterisk year in '99, I can't find any other instance where it has worked.

If we can't get Smoove, I hear Dragic wants out, and PHX doesn't like his contract. Give me Dragic and Gortat! Gortat would finally give us one person who can truly play with Steve Nash other than Robert Sacre. Plus, he can wear his coveted #13 jersey again. :man1: Too bad PHX doesn't want to lose their lottery pick, but this draft sucks, and we can always throw in our 2017 pick. :man10:

edit: Scratch that, Chambs retired his #13.
Last edited by dj vitus on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby NeeJee on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:35 pm

Yes
NeeJee

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:39 pm

dj vitus wrote:
khmrP wrote:we can't have 2 star type post players anymore, NOBODY in the league has it but NOBODY in the league fears it because this offense doesn't take advantage of it and neither did the princeston. Obviously PJ had success but we could already see Pau decline with Bynum emergence, I just dont think this pound them in the paint style works anymore and especially with Antoni who doesn't know how to play that type of style to begin with.

You're right. In fact, 2 star post players has never really worked in the NBA. When we won our last two chips, Bynum averaged 6.3 points and then 8.6 points in the playoffs, respectively.

It was Gasol down low, Odom on the wing, and Bynum on the bench that worked. So why do we keep forcing it??? :bang:

Other than the Spurs' asterisk year in '99, I can't find any other instance where it has worked.

If we can't get Smoove, I hear Dragic wants out, and PHX doesn't like his contract. Give me Dragic and Gortat! Gortat would finally give us one person who can truly play with Steve Nash other than Robert Sacre. Plus, he can wear his coveted #13 jersey again. :man1: Too bad PHX doesn't want to lose their lottery pick, but this draft sucks, and we can always throw in our 2017 pick. :man10:

edit: Scratch that, Chambs retired his #13.

I doubt they want to part with Gortat + no way we pay that much for Dwight's backup.. I would take Dragic + Scola + Beasley..
lakersin4

Postby karacha on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:48 pm

snackdaddy wrote:Sad thing is, Pau has better skills in the post than Howard.

Let's be honest: Pau has better post skills then any big man in the league. But he's getting older, can't run that fast, can't jump, does not feel like making decisive moves anymore and most importantly -- he can't play good defense like he used to. Unbelievably skilled, yes. But no one fears him anymore. He is much more skilled then Dwight, yet Dwight is clearly the better player. Infuriating, but true.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:04 pm

karacha wrote:
snackdaddy wrote:Sad thing is, Pau has better skills in the post than Howard.

Let's be honest: Pau has better post skills then any big man in the league. But he's getting older, can't run that fast, can't jump, does not feel like making decisive moves anymore and most importantly -- he can't play good defense like he used to. Unbelievably skilled, yes. But no one fears him anymore. He is much more skilled then Dwight, yet Dwight is clearly the better player. Infuriating, but true.

It's an athlete's league these days, so most of his skill is wasted.

All that skill only gets him so far against guys who are clearly superior athletes with more than enough ability to make up for his skill.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:33 pm

^

Pretty much.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:39 pm

So yes it's time to move Gasol. :man1:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:43 pm

You don't even have to look far to confirm that point. Clark/Hill can basically give you almost a double double a night and they have 1/4 of the offensive game as Pau. But they are 100x more athletic, so they can go get boards, easy buckets.

Pau can make a sweet move in the post and absolutely school his defender, but when he goes up to dunk it, the dude he schooled has already recovered and on top of that is jumping high enough to touch the top of box on the backboard, while Pau is getting up just high enough to dunk it with one hand.

It's pretty much what the OKC vs. Miami finals was last year, a bunch of athletes running around.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Right and while I don't think it's necessary to just have a team of nothing but athletes (Denver), we've got the opposite. We've got nothing but really talented guys that can't move very well. Except Clark and Hill and Hill is out. Dwight would count, but he's still banged up and won't have full muscle strength until he has enough time to hit the weights like he used to.

I think the perfect balance is trading Pau for an athlete or two while letting go of guys like Morris and Duhon. We need the athleticism at this point to supplement our slower guys.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby gcclaker on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:04 pm

Si!
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:27 pm

FO knowa Paua valu goes up in offseason. If you keep him you cant improve the team which is a sinking ship. God help us please lol

Cant believe its been 5yrs already since he got traded here

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion