LQOTD: What does +/- tell us?

LQOTD: What does +/- tell us?

Postby trodgers on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:27 am

On Court/Off Court Numbers (per 48 minutes)
Kobe +6.5/-15.3 Net +21.8
MWP +7.8/-11.7 Net +19.5
Gasol +4.3/+0.1 Net +4.2
Nash +4.5/+1.9 Net +2.6
Howard +1.1/+5.9 Net -4.8

-82games.com
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: LQOTD: What does +/- tell us?

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:31 am

Howard sucks for our team and we're gona win now w/o him? :freak2:
khmrP

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:32 am

Thats the beauty of stats, they say exactly what they say.

Saw these numbers last week and its really depressing how they illustrate how ineffective/inefficient Dwight is this year.

http://www.82games.com/1213/ROLRTG8.HTM

These are interesting as well. Measures how much a player scores vs the opponent at his position and also scoring =/- while in/out of the game.
phoenixrisingla

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:34 am

phoenixrisingla wrote:Thats the beauty of stats, they say exactly what they say.

Saw these numbers last week and its really depressing how they illustrate how ineffective/inefficient Dwight is this year.

These are interesting as well. Measures how much a player scores vs the opponent at his position and also scoring =/- while in/out of the game.

so I guess we shouldn't be worried if he leaves or not, seeing as how he does nothing for us anyways in terms of winning :man10:
khmrP

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:36 am

khmrP wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:Thats the beauty of stats, they say exactly what they say.

so I guess we shouldn't be worried if he leaves or not, seeing as how he does nothing for us anyways in terms of winning :man10:

Your sarcasm is VERY clever, but yes.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but he IS playing and we're NOT winning.
phoenixrisingla

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:41 am

phoenixrisingla wrote:
khmrP wrote:

Kobe is playing and has the highest +/- and we're not winning so what does that tell us? Kevin love avg 26/15 or something last year, you'd think stats like that w/o watching games you would think K.Love is a dominant force with the likes of Shaq, Duncan,etc. until you actually watch the games.
khmrP

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 am

khmrP wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:
khmrP wrote:

Kobe is playing and has the highest +/- and we're not winning so what does that tell us?

That we have to much "minus" for all of Kobe's "plus" to handle.

This is an INDIVIDUAL stat. If you cant see the distinction between playing well in a loss and playing poorly in a loss then I'm not sure what to say...

I think Kobe could be doing more in terms of leadership, but at least he's playing well and seems like he wants to be here.
Last edited by phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
phoenixrisingla

Postby 432J on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:44 am

what is this, hockey?

it doesn't tell you anything
432J

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:46 am

phoenixrisingla wrote:That we have to much minus to make up for all of Kobe's plus.

This is an INDIVIDUAL stat. If you cant see the distinction between playing well in a loss and playing poorly in a loss then I'm not sure what to say...

I think Kobe could be doing more in terms of leadership, but at least he's playing well and seems like he wants to be here.

Pau has a net + can you explain that to me, seeing as how I dont seem to understand this stat cause eye test I dont suggest that one bit as per your rebuttal here in regards to playing hard and wanting to be here stuff. As far as Howard goes, no fan fare here my friend, trade his arse if doesn't want to be here and we can get a good package for him. I have no player loyalty whatosever :man10:
khmrP

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:49 am

khmrP wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:That we have to much minus to make up for all of Kobe's plus.

Pau has a net + can you explain that to me, seeing as how I dont seem to understand this stat cause eye test I dont suggest that one bit as per your rebuttal here in regards to playing hard and wanting to be here stuff.

Are you being serious?

I dont have to explain it to you. That stat is a representation of what actually happened.

You can say its meaningless if you dont like what the numbers say, but this is why we have stats. So we can have a recording of events/outcomes that occurred without the filter of subjective interpretation.

I'm not saying that you can say "leader in +/- is the best player in the league" but to say they are meaningless is equally asinine.
phoenixrisingla

Postby trodgers on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:50 am

432J wrote:what is this, hockey?

it doesn't tell you anything

Suppose you're right. What's the argument?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 am

phoenixrisingla wrote:
khmrP wrote:

Pau has a net + can you explain that to me, seeing as how I dont seem to understand this stat cause eye test I dont suggest that one bit as per your rebuttal here in regards to playing hard and wanting to be here stuff.

Are you being serious?

I dont have to explain it to you. That stat is a representation of what actually happened.

You can say its meaningless if you dont like what the numbers say, but this is why we have stats. So we can have a recording of events/outcomes that occurred without the filter of subjective interpretation.

I'm not saying that you can say "leader in +/- is the best player in the league" but to say they are meaningless is equally asinine.

so if stats dont lie, can you honestly say we're better off with Pau than Howard right now?
khmrP

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:55 am

khmrP wrote:
so if stats dont lie, can you honestly say we're better off with Pau then Howard right now?

This is where it gets tricky, using stats to make bigger statments like that.

In my personal opinion, I think that Pau is a better low post scoring threat than Howard is. However I think that Howard is a better P&R big (although we're not using him that way enough).

I guess if I had to pick I'd go with Pau.
phoenixrisingla

Postby khmrP on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:00 am

phoenixrisingla wrote:
khmrP wrote:
so if stats dont lie, can you honestly say we're better off with Pau then Howard right now?

In my personal opinion, I think that Pau is a better low post scoring threat than Howard is. However I think that Howard is a better P&R big (although we're not using him that way enough).

Pau WAS good in the post but we will see how this stat lives up to real world application when Pau is back in the middle w/o Howard soon enough.
khmrP

Postby phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:05 am

khmrP wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:
khmrP wrote:

Pau WAS good in the post but we will see how this stat lives up to real world application when Pau is back in the middle w/o Howard soon enough.

Fingers crossed. We need something. With these injuries, I'm starting to get that "circling the drain" feeling on this season. :man6:
Last edited by phoenixrisingla on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
phoenixrisingla

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:06 am

I wouldn't say much unless there's a clear and obvious trend. I think Kobe's and Metta's are very telling because the difference is so massive. But if you were to look at that and assume that we're a better team with Dwight off the floor, I'd say that's silly.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:10 am

I honestly don't think +/- means anything in a vacuum. It only tells you anything of value when you look at it within the context of other things.

It's as useful as PPG or FG% in a vacuum is. Interesting, but not particularly useful or indicative of much.
JGC

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:59 am

So Kobe & MWP playing among the best on our team this year.....and them having the highest +/- doesn't tell us anything?

Pau's +/- stems from his assists & facilitating. Do you guys watch basketball? You know that a player's impact on the court can be made outside of points right?
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 am

Who is "you guys"? I didn't make any such claim.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:11 am

.....The people that said "it doesn't mean anything".
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 am

I said it doesn't mean much does that count? :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:15 am

LOL, you are insinuating that it matters at least a little bit....I'll take it.
Chillbongo

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:17 am

Deal. :smash:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JGC on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:18 am

Chillbongo wrote:So Kobe & MWP playing among the best on our team this year.....and them having the highest +/- doesn't tell us anything?

Pau's +/- stems from his assists & facilitating. Do you guys watch basketball? You know that a player's impact on the court can be made outside of points right?

Do you really think Pau has more on-court impact than Nash and Dwight though?
JGC

Postby revgen on Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:43 am

Our defense is non-existent. Whether D12 is on the floor or not. And since he's not the same athletic freak he was before the injury, he hasn't been that effective offensively.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion