LQOTD: What hurt us the most?

LQOTD: What hurt us the most?

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Which hurt Lakers the most: Dwight's injury, Pau's absence, or Metta's play?
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Re: LQOTD: What hurt us the most?

Postby khmrP on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:11 pm

Metta almost every single night, avg. D at best HORRIBLE offense on a consistent basis.
khmrP

Postby Ice-Fire on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:13 pm

Lack of focus
Ice-Fire

Postby The Rock on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Metta's play. 2 for 13 on offense and then you let Pierce light you up on the other end. He gets open looks and hes not converting them. At least Dwight is reliable on man to man D, Ron cant even do that now

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Willx on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Dwight howard
Willx

Postby bumrusherer on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Metta's play is to be expected, that's on our decision makers for having a team that requires him to be out there.

Paus injury and Dwights injury are the same amount for me. Pau because we lose any flexibility to improve this team drastically. And Dwight because a guy who has spent his entire career playing elite level defense, cant play elite level defense for us.
bumrusherer

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:16 pm

Metta has been an absolute negative every single game
With that said a lot falls on Pau being out, even though we rag on him a lot, he always plays well and through our 3 game streak he had started to find his stride again :man5:
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:17 pm

I'm 100% sure this game would have been a lot more competitive if Pau was out there and Dwight+Ron weren't. Those two provide nothing on offense and didn't help the defense either.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Finwë on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:18 pm

Was Dwight's terrible performance due to injury? Dude looked like he flat out didn't care / want to be there..

Pau's absence hurt us the most IMO. He makes the ball move and coming off the bench he was another threat to score. He would've reduced Jamison's minutes who got completely torched by Green, and would've avoided the MWP-Garnett matchup that resulted in bucket after bucket for KG.

Howard having a solid outing on both ends would've completely changed the game tho. Too bad.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm actually going to say Pau being gone, his scoring has been needed big time when we were winning, and his passing kept the ball moving, he found cutters, he hit guys who swung to other guys (hockey assists), he was looking as close to his old self as he has in a long time IMO. Basically even an old, slow Pau is a scoring threat in the post, AND all the way out to the 3 point line, his man has to stay with him, it opens the lane, guys can cut. Dwight? He draws guys TO the basket by always standing right under it with his hands out wanting a pass, and he is zero threat to score outside 5 feet.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ice-Fire on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:24 pm

Weezy wrote:I'm actually going to say Pau being gone, his scoring has been needed big time when we were winning, and his passing kept the ball moving, he found cutters, he hit guys who swung to other guys (hockey assists), he was looking as close to his old self as he has in a long time IMO. Basically even an old, slow Pau is a scoring threat in the post, AND all the way out to the 3 point line, his man has to stay with him, it opens the lane, guys can cut. Dwight? He draws guys TO the basket by always standing right under it with his hands out wanting a pass, and he is zero threat to score outside 5 feet.

If you think Gasol would have made a difference in this game is just absurd, because for one.... the Celtics were driving through the lane at will so I'm not sure Gasol would have solved that problem and also.... Gasol was not gonna make Jeff Green play worse..... everything from this game and season has been dysfuctional and I won't be surprised if a lot of fighting happens in the locker-room once the Lakers basically get mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.
Ice-Fire

Postby Weezy on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:
Weezy wrote:I'm actually going to say Pau being gone, his scoring has been needed big time when we were winning, and his passing kept the ball moving, he found cutters, he hit guys who swung to other guys (hockey assists), he was looking as close to his old self as he has in a long time IMO. Basically even an old, slow Pau is a scoring threat in the post, AND all the way out to the 3 point line, his man has to stay with him, it opens the lane, guys can cut. Dwight? He draws guys TO the basket by always standing right under it with his hands out wanting a pass, and he is zero threat to score outside 5 feet.

If you think Gasol would have made a difference in this game is just absurd, because for one.... the Celtics were driving through the lane at will so I'm not sure Gasol would have solved that problem and also.... Gasol was not gonna make Jeff Green play worse..... everything from this game and season has been dysfuctional and I won't be surprised if a lot of fighting happens in the locker-room once the Lakers basically get mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Whoa, dude, calm down, the question is what hurt us the MOST. My answer was Pau being gone. I didn't say we would have won, I just said it hurt us the most.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ice-Fire on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:33 pm

My bad :man10:
Ice-Fire

Postby trodgers on Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:34 pm

Pau vs. Dwight

twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:58 pm

:man1:
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby phoenixrisingla on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:00 pm

Dwight's not giving a rats patoot.
phoenixrisingla

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:06 pm

Dwight's attitude and MWP's chucking.

And MDA sitting passively on the bench.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby TaniBoyz on Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:47 am

MDA as coach
he can't handle personalities
and the players don't respect him
and he keeps throwing players/the team under the bus

now the team is dysfunctional
TaniBoyz

Postby dak22 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:23 am

TaniBoyz wrote:MDA as coach
he can't handle personalities
and the players don't respect him
and he keeps throwing players/the team under the bus

now the team is dysfunctional

For all his moronic coaching decisions, MDA benching/throwing pau under the bus was actually a good thing in restropsect. It gave Pau a chip on his shoulder, allowed room for Earl Clark to develop and more importantly, reduced the burden on Pau by making him play against 2nd units.

Too bad Pau couldn't see all this and now has to miss 6-8 weeks as a result.
dak22

Postby MC on Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:11 am

This thought that Howard is actually our best big out there and the thought that Bynum was our best big last year is this team's downfall............. Pau Gasol, who gets bashed on a regular basis, is STILL the best big we have on this team and it's not even close. He's the only guy with all the tool sets to run an offense threw, the other 2 are overblown stats with serious flaws when thinking about running an offense threw. This is why the Lakers can't mask their issues, they can't control pace by running an offense threw the big they decided to feature the last 2 years..... both Bynum and Howard are NOT good post players.... can't pass out the post to save their own lives which is ESSENTIAL for a big if you want to run an offense threw them. The worse thing this team ever did was try and force Pau out and now they are reaping their reward for the tomfoolery.

This new injury to Gasol has sunk this team's small minute chance they might actually figure it out so IMO the injury is the biggest thing. Howard and Artest are just about irrelevant in this, offensively Howard's injury was a blessing in disguise until Gasol went down too.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby snackdaddy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:55 am

Howard was pressed into action too soon. I believe he was worried about hurting his shoulder. Did he feel pressure from Kobe to come back? Is he trying to man up and play through it like Kobe would have?
snackdaddy

Postby hustle71 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:51 am

Pau being out hurt bad. However, what hurt the team the most was Dwight playing the role of the worlds second biggest baby. We would have played a much better game if he had not played at all. I can't even imagine how terrible it will be going from having Kobe as your franchise cornerstone with his toughness and drive to baby huey. I understand injuries but not that terrible attitude. I hope he is not here beyond this year.
hustle71

Postby gcclaker on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 am

Injuries... It resulted in a lack of cohesion. Nash was out for a considerate spell. Howard not 100%. Gasol worn down, unable to mentally cope with his physical problems and demotion to the bench. This squad has had a snakebit season.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:00 am

snackdaddy wrote:Howard was pressed into action too soon. I believe he was worried about hurting his shoulder. Did he feel pressure from Kobe to come back? Is he trying to man up and play through it like Kobe would have?

Obviously yes.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:02 am

It's amazing to see fans saying the absence of Gasol is hurting the most when for most of the last 2 years, fans have been dying to get rid of him. Gasol has looked great of late though. He just seems to work great with Kobe. They don't get in each other's way and the offense seems to flow much better. Gasol seemed really motivated with the absence of Dwight because he knew he could be "the man" down low.
Lets Go Lakers

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion