LQOTD: Would we make playoffs if Mike Brown was still here?

Would the Lakers make the playoffs if Mike Brown was still here even after 1-4 start?

Yes
34%
No
65%

Total votes : 26

LQOTD: Would we make playoffs if Mike Brown was still here?

Postby The Rock on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:04 pm

Thought I'll ask the Question of the Day...its a 2 part Question

1) After the rocky 1-4 start if Mike Brown wasn't fired and was kept the entire year, would we still make the playoffs even if our Big 4 were healthy and each didn't miss no more than a handful of games ?

2) When we reached 17-25 and Mike Brown was the coach would we have made the turnaround of going 28-12 while having injuries that we did during that span, to reach the playoffs?

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Re: LQOTD: Would we make playoffs if Mike Brown was still here?

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:11 pm

Yes

and we wouldn't have been 17-25 under mike brown. But he needed to go too
Chillbongo

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Obviously because Morris and Ebanks have LENGTH
wcsoldier81

Postby khmrP on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:15 pm

hard to say, the offense wasn't getting better IMO and D was just as bad as it is now. He buried Jamison/Meeks on the bench so there's two other contributors we didn't have.
khmrP

Postby Thenextgreat on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:21 pm

Yes...we would of been fine...panic set in to early.
Thenextgreat

Postby dj vitus on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:27 pm

No.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:28 pm

This is what we're resorting to to make Pringles look good? Comparing him to Mike Brown.

Such low standards.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Dratini927 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:29 pm

khmrP wrote:hard to say, the offense wasn't getting better IMO and D was just as bad as it is now. He buried Jamison/Meeks on the bench so there's two other contributors we didn't have.

Agreed. Putting Jamison and Meeks on the bench in favor of Morris and others wasn't the best move. He also had lost the faith in his team, and they had basically given up on him as well. Frustration boiled over and his rotations were atrocious (not like Mike D's are any better, but injuries played a factor in that.) I just don't see the team moving forward with Brown. He looked so confused out there and just did not have the team management skills. But like khmrP said, it's hard to say.
Matt the Drat

Dratini927

Postby The Rock on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:30 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:This is what we're resorting to to make Pringles look good? Comparing him to Mike Brown.

Such low standards.

Its just for discussion sakes thats what a forum is for.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JSM on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:34 pm

I feel as though we made the playoffs despite MDA not because of him (same would go for Brown the Clown), so I'll vote yes.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:34 pm

Dratini927 wrote:
khmrP wrote:hard to say, the offense wasn't getting better IMO and D was just as bad as it is now. He buried Jamison/Meeks on the bench so there's two other contributors we didn't have.

Agreed. Putting Jamison and Meeks on the bench in favor of Morris and others wasn't the best move. He also had lost the faith in his team, and they had basically given up on him as well. Frustration boiled over and his rotations were atrocious (not like Mike D's are any better, but injuries played a factor in that.) I just don't see the team moving forward with Brown. He looked so confused out there and just did not have the team management skills. But like khmrP said, it's hard to say.

Hold the f**** on.

Does anyone remember Jamison's 7 straight DNPs? What about Meeks' pine riding? You guys act like MDA is some genius that realized they should play. Clark was a fluke, MDA gets no credit for that. Injuries do.

Actually, I praise Mike Brown for experimenting with his lineup. He would have gotten down a set rotation at some point. He should have never been our coach but he would never resort to playing Kobe 45-48 minutes a game like this idiot.

Mike Brown would have also used Morris etc in extremely limited stretches to give his starters/rotation players some burn. That would have been useful leading into the playoffs. So would Kobe.
Chillbongo

Postby Dratini927 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Yes, experimenting is good, but that is what the pre-season should have been for. Instead, Brown was playing his rookies mainly for most of the game, and not really experimenting with what line ups would be beneficial for actual game situations. I am not sure what the reasoning was for Jamison/Meeks' bench time, but the experimenting during the regular season was not working. At least Mike D gave Jamison and Meeks their confidence back (for a while anyway.)

And I agree, Brown would not have played Kobe 45+ minutes per game. Both coaches have their faults.
Last edited by Dratini927 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt the Drat

Dratini927

Postby KBJelleyBean24 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:38 pm

No. I think a lot of our problems this season has been guys being micromanaged. Both Brown and D'Antoni tried to force their dumb offensives instead of just letting these guys play (which is basically what has happened.) D'Antoni eventually wised up and let go of the reigns, but I'm not sure Brown would have.
I should get an assist for that. It's an intentional pass to oneself, so it's an assist. That way people can't say all I do is shoot.
-Kobe on passing the ball to himself off the backboard.
KBJelleyBean24

Postby pound4pound1 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:40 pm

when Mike Brown thought Kobe was playing too much, he sat him because he 'felt like making a sub'

i have no idea what that has do with anything but i just wanted to point that out
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby davriver290 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:41 pm

KBJelleyBean24 wrote:No. I think a lot of our problems this season has been guys being micromanaged. Both Brown and D'Antoni tried to force their dumb offensives instead of just letting these guys play (which is basically what has happened.) D'Antoni eventually wised up and let go of the reigns, but I'm not sure Brown would have.

which does proves that Mike is a better coach for this team. Well better than Brown.
Sessions, Kobe, Metta, Gasol, Bynum
davriver290

Postby The Rock on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:42 pm

pound4pound1 wrote:when Mike Brown thought Kobe was playing too much, he sat him because he 'felt like making a sub'

i have no idea what that has do with anything but i just wanted to point that out

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby The Rock on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:46 pm

I'll forever be grateful to Mike Brown for one thing...inflating the hell out of Andrew Bynum's trade value. It helped us get Dwight Howard

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Don't forget Mike Brown also liked to enjoy his sundaes

JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:02 pm

Dratini927 wrote:Yes, experimenting is good, but that is what the pre-season should have been for. Instead, Brown was playing his rookies mainly for most of the game, and not really experimenting with what line ups would be beneficial for actual game situations. I am not sure what the reasoning was for Jamison/Meeks' bench time, but the experimenting during the regular season was not working. At least Mike D gave Jamison and Meeks their confidence back (for a while anyway.)

And I agree, Brown would not have played Kobe 45+ minutes per game. Both coaches have their faults.

I hear that, he had a training camp for all that stuff.

But it's not like MDA did any better. He experimented throughout most of the season. Things changed after the team meeting in Memphis, when MDA basically stepped back and let the players handle the team. So it's hard for me to credit him for essentially making himself useless. As harsh as that is. But true.

Like I said - Mike Brown should have never been coach, but this is not a good reason to suggest that Mike D is a good coach.
Chillbongo

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:10 pm

#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Weezy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:17 pm

Tobias Funke wrote:This is what we're resorting to to make Pringles look good? Comparing him to Mike Brown.

Such low standards.

This is the first thing that popped into my head as well. :man10: My answer is no, Mike Brown was an anchor around the Lakers necks, and the "offense" he was running was hindering every single player on our roster that got in games. They looked lost, confused, were over-thinking and not just playing free, and I think he had lost the team and most importantly Kobe, losing him was addition by subtraction. We could have rolled with Bernie the rest of the season and made the playoffs IMO, 'Antoni did nothing special but eventually get out of his own way, let Kobe run the show, and go back to playing through the post more.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Dratini927 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:52 pm

Chillbongo wrote:
Dratini927 wrote:Yes, experimenting is good, but that is what the pre-season should have been for. Instead, Brown was playing his rookies mainly for most of the game, and not really experimenting with what line ups would be beneficial for actual game situations. I am not sure what the reasoning was for Jamison/Meeks' bench time, but the experimenting during the regular season was not working. At least Mike D gave Jamison and Meeks their confidence back (for a while anyway.)

I hear that, he had a training camp for all that stuff.

But it's not like MDA did any better. He experimented throughout most of the season. Things changed after the team meeting in Memphis, when MDA basically stepped back and let the players handle the team. So it's hard for me to credit him for essentially making himself useless. As harsh as that is. But true.

Like I said - Mike Brown should have never been coach, but this is not a good reason to suggest that Mike D is a good coach.

Fair enough. The Mike D coaching should not have been the choice, but at least he realized things were not working and had that meeting. I feel Brown would not have done this and would have tried to drill his Princeton into the offense without any other option.
Matt the Drat

Dratini927

Postby gill on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:16 pm

The talents carried this team, so I vote yes!

However, based on records, we would have been top three with Bernie B. :man12:
gill

Postby LTLakerFan on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:20 pm

No it would have been impossible for Brown to get us into the playoffs due to the simple law of physics. Kobe hit him once with his laser death stare and "poof" he was gone. That was after All Day Every Day had only gotten through 5 games. The "death stare"'s intensity would have increased exponentially with Kobe's frustration with the guy and he literally would have been vaporized at some point. :man4:
LTLakerFan

Postby Chillbongo on Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:21 pm

:man10:
Chillbongo

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion