Luke Waltons stock was going up (re-do)

Luke Waltons stock was going up (re-do)

Postby Laker brain on Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:24 pm

Former Wildcat Luke Walton shoots during a workout for the Phoenix Suns at America West Arena yesterday.
TOM TINGLE/The Arizona Republic

STEVE RIVERA
Tucson Citizen
June 19, 2003
PHOENIX - Luke Walton's NBA stock is rising.
Whether the former University of Arizona star is a first-round pick - perhaps as high as No. 17 - is debatable, but in the past couple of weeks, Walton has been impressive enough to have people talking about him going in the first round.
That's after not being mentioned as a first- or second-round selection at all the previous month.
Two weeks ago, Walton fared so well at the predraft camp in Chicago that some NBA draftnicks gave him draftable status.
"I said this coming back from Chicago that he may have perhaps played his way into the late first round. There are several teams looking at him as a second-round pick, so he has a good shot at making a team," said Bryan Colangelo, the Phoenix Suns president and general manager. "There are very few players who can dribble, pass and shoot domestically or have the fundamentals that he's got."
When asked whether his stock is rising, Walton, in typical fashion, low-keyed it.
"It's hard to tell because you hear so much different stuff," he said after a 90-minute workout at America West Arena. "I'm just going and doing the workouts. Hopefully, teams will like me."
He said he doesn't concern himself with mock drafts because after the first few picks, no one really knows who will go where.
"ToA
Tucson Citizen
June 19, 2003
PHOENIX - Luke Walton's NBA stock is rising.
Whether the former University of Arizona star is a first-round pick - perhaps as high as No. 17 - is debatable, but in the past couple of weeks, Walton has been impressive enough to have people talking about him going in the first round.
That's after not being mentioned as a first- or second-round selection at all the previous month.
Two weeks ago, Walton fared so well at the predraft camp in Chicago that some NBA draftnicks gave him draftable status.
"I said this coming back from Chicago that he may have perhaps played his way into the late first round. There are several teams looking at him as a second-round pick, so he has a good shot at making a team," said Bryan Colangelo, the Phoenix Suns president and general manager. "There are very few players who can dribble, pass and shoot domestically or have the fundamentals that he's got."
When asked whether his stock is rising, Walton, in typical fashion, low-keyed it.
"It's hard to tell because you hear so much different stuff," he said after a 90-minute workout at America West Arena. "I'm just going and doing the workouts. Hopefully, teams will like me."
He said he doesn't concern himself with mock drafts because after the first few picks, no one really knows who will go where.
"To worry about all that is a waste of time," he said.

Luke Walton fights off Illinois' Lucas Johnson for a loose ball in 2001. Walton hopes to be fighting for rebounds in the NBA.
The Associated Press

He did say that if the Suns picked him, "it would be great to end up in Arizona, but I don't know how they feel about me. They brought me in for a workout, and that was great."
In preparation for the June 26 draft, Walton has been to Boston twice, New Jersey, Chicago, Los Angeles (Lakers) and Phoenix. He was headed to Indianapolis last night.
Yesterday, Suns officials said they like what Walton brings to a team. Whether they use their pick on him is another story.
"He's such a smart player," said Dick Van Arsdale, the team's vice president for player personnel. "He has such great footwork and is a great passer. We are all impressed by Luke. He knows how to play the game. He plays it the way it should be played."
The biggest question - and it's been one for some time - is about which position Walton would play in the NBA. He is 6 feet 8 and 245 pounds, so there's some thinking he might be a power forward, but it's more likely he will be a small forward.
"Once I get on the court I think I can show I can hang at either position," Walton said. "I can cause difficulties on the opposite end at both p worry about all that is a waste of time," he said.

Luke Walton fights off Illinois' Lucas Johnson for a loose ball in 2001. Walton hopes to be fighting for rebounds in the NBA.
The Associated Press

He did say that if the Suns picked him, "it would be great to end up in Arizona, but I don't know how they feel about me. They brought me in for a workout, and that was great."
In preparation for the June 26 draft, Walton has been to Boston twice, New Jersey, Chicago, Los Angeles (Lakers) and Phoenix. He was headed to Indianapolis last night.
Yesterday, Suns officials said they like what Walton brings to a team. Whether they use their pick on him is another story.
"He's such a smart player," said Dick Van Arsdale, the team's vice president for player personnel. "He has such great footwork and is a great passer. We are all impressed by Luke. He knows how to play the game. He plays it the way it should be played."
The biggest question - and it's been one for some time - is about which position Walton would play in the NBA. He is 6 feet 8 and 245 pounds, so there's some thinking he might be a power forward, but it's more likely he will be a small forward.
"Once I get on the court I think I can show I can hang at either position," Walton said. "I can cause difficulties on the opposite end at both positions. I'm not worried about that once I get on a team."
To Walton's credit, Van Arsdale said, "he does know how to use his body. He realizes he doesn't have great athleticism, but he compensates in how he plays. He's an interesting player."
Van Arsdale, who has seen Walton a number of times during his UA years, said he appreciates him even more after viewing him one on one.
"He moves his feet really well, and defensively he's a bit better than people might think he is," Van Arsdale said. "And he's impressive with his work ethic. He's a great team player. There aren't too many surprises with Luke. We know that about Luke, but it's good to see him in person."
Laker brain

Return to Lakers Discussion