Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby LakerFan1235 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:30 pm

Chick22-44-33Consec wrote:
pureuncut100 wrote:
LakerFan1235 wrote: Its funny if you think about it, of their handful of black contributors, Dennis Johnson had freckles and Robert Parrish was Indian.

What the eff? Do you realize that Boston was the first team to field an all Black starting line up and have the first Black head coach? This during the 1960s when Boston was known as one of the most racist cities in the country. Many Black people have freckles because of white slave owners raping their female slaves, it is not unusual for Blacks to have indegenous heritage because native Americans were not racists and runaway slaves became members of native society. Parrish was nicknamed "Chief", not because of his heritage but because he resembles the Chief, a chaarcter from the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

You quoted me incorrectly. I did not say that, pureuncut100 said that.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby LakerFan1235 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:32 pm

I finally finished watching it today, and it was great. All Laker fans should see this. Very well-made, and great interviews. I too did not realize Larry Bird's back problems were so severe.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
LakerFan1235

Postby Chick22-44-33Consec on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:14 am

pureuncut100 wrote:Doesnt matter what the truth was. DOesnt really matter what I think or you for that matter. Perception is sometimes reality.

Mis-perception though is never reality
Chick22-44-33Consec

Postby AIRBROWN on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:59 pm

So which one was Magic and which one was Ervin again? so confusing
AIRBROWN

Postby purp n gold on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:53 pm

Seeing Larry open up about his playing days was pretty interesting... I have a new respect for him after seeing the way he handled racial issues. Larry comparing Magic's early retirement to his father's death was pretty eye opening too.
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby AIRBROWN on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:28 pm

It's more about basketball. Bout teaching the world that you can be different in personality and color and get along. Quiet white guy who doesn't like the attention, and outgoing black guy who loves the attention, who have both hated each other through fierce competition but end up being good friends and great respect for each other. :bow:
AIRBROWN

Postby Thenextgreat on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:59 am

I finally caught this special last night and I thought it was put together really well. I have to say though I had no idea Larry Bird was such a "Killer". He hated Magic and he used that hatred to make him the best player he could be. He didn't wanna be friends...like these players today...I like that. That hatred he had eventually got to Magic and fueled Magic to use it in the same way. Definitely an interesting Dynamic between those two. It was like the Yin and Yang....

Those guys couldn't be more different off the court but so similar in the way they played and loved the game. Those two did so much for the NBA. People like to say Jordan did this and that but Jordan would not of did anything if it wasn't for Magic and Bird. He would of just been another DR. J...... And wow...how compelling was it just watching those old clips of how basketball was in the 80's? It was a much better product in my opinion .......It was just more intense back then cause you knew guys were trying to take each others heads off.....That was great.....

I also remember Magic retiring...watching that brought me right back to that day and how sad I felt that day watching him up there on that Podium...I remember thinking wow...Magic is gonna die!....Almost 20 years later...Magic still here..
Thenextgreat

Postby Sean on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:01 pm

I was actually getting heated watching that 84 finals again. Pissed me off then, still pisses me off today.

Great documentary.
"Either you are still a Laker fan, or you never were." -Guru
Sean

Postby Kubbas on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:14 pm

DL link anybody?

Alvin Gentry wrote:"Was that Kobe or was that Michael?"
"We played the best player in basketball. I don't think its even close."
Kubbas

Postby jimbo327 on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:39 pm

When you watch Magic and Bird go at it, it was just pure sizzle. The anticipation of the big game was always there, you had that date circled on your calendar, and you knew it was going to be a great show. From the minute you woke up on gameday, you had that little pep in your walk, and you made sure you left work early or was ready from the tip-off. Even though I hated the Celtics, I always had a respect for him because you can tell athletically he was at an disadvantage, yet he performed miracles with that basketball. It inspired every joe with no hops to be shooting jumpers and dreaming of playing like Larry. Of course, Magic was just electric, but most guys never forgot how special both players were to their respective teams...and we all knew we were watching something special.

I feel the same way every time I see Kobe play. Fans now don't understand that in a few years, you will not see that kind of GREATNESS on the Lakers.
Soylent Green is People!
jimbo327

Postby LUUUKE on Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:16 pm

its really too bad kobe didnt have a bird..he's always being compared to jordan..lebron isnt really it cause he's just getting started..it'd be unfair..

but the documentary was amazing..24/7 moviefone guy i love!
what's the most resilient parasite?
LUUUKE

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:38 pm

If you're a Laker fan, you have to watch this documentary if you haven't already. Heck, any basketball fan should watch this.
Last edited by Lets Go Lakers on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby XXIV on Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:47 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:If you're a Laker fan, you have to watch this documentary if you haven't already. Heck, any basketball should watch this.

Finally we agree on something. :man12:

It's definitely a great documentary, even my folks who aren't that into watching sports really enjoyed it.
XXIV

Postby MadMax on Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:25 am

MadMax

Postby Lqv2015 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:24 pm

I thought this was a cool watch.

LAKERS-4-LIFE
Lqv2015

Postby Phil XI on Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:30 am

How many pagesa back did you have to go to find this one?
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby KareemTheGreat33 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:04 am

Thank you MadMax. That Isaiah Thomas is such a stupid jerk...I remember Bird was classy enough to save him.
"Allons-y Lakers!"
KareemTheGreat33

Previous

Return to Lakers Discussion