Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby Pig Miller on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:29 pm

Anyone watching this on HBO?

30 minutes in, and it's really good.
Pig Miller

 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 am

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby Pig Miller on Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:53 pm

painful to see magic unexplicably running out the clock, worthy throwing away the ball, losing a couple of OT games in the finals

damn!!!
Pig Miller

 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 am

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby UncLaker on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:08 pm

mmmm it was Worse watching it live!!!
UNC Lakers

Mitch Kupchak,Bob McAdoo, James Worthy, Rick Fox, Sam Perkins,
JR Reid, Shammond Williams,George Lynch, Charlie Scott,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_North_Carolina_players_went_to_the_NBA_dont_forget_Brandon_Wright

"that guy has the best NO PASS look in the game today"
"If ya dont practice Defense, You cant practice winning"

"Antawn Jamison in Purple and Gold please"
User avatar
UncLaker

 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:21 am
Location: Las Vegas, NC, LA

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby John3:16 on Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:23 pm

UncLaker wrote:mmmm it was Worse watching it live!!!


Sadly, I co-sign this.
Image
User avatar
John3:16

 
Posts: 31308
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:23 am
Location: Anywhere but LD after a loss.

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby shoe on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:35 pm

Watched it and it was really good...

I wasn't around for the rivalry, so its always fun to watch these.
Image
User avatar
shoe

 
Posts: 5832
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:53 pm
Location: Buffalo, New York

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:46 pm

Pig Miller wrote:painful to see magic unexplicably running out the clock, worthy throwing away the ball, losing a couple of OT games in the finals

damn!!!


Yeah, Lakers should've beat "those guys" in '84 :bang: but they got revenge in '85 (clinched it at the Gah-den) and '87 (blew them out after Worthy dived for the loose ball and passed it to Magic while airborne). :jam2:
Thanks for the sig, Jr. Kobe.

Image
User avatar
mamatheregoesthatman

 
Posts: 7812
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:12 am

Anytime i watch anything about Magic and the Showtime Lakers, i just want to say, "Thank You" for the championships and the good times. Magic is my all time favorite Laker. He will never be replaced. He was special. His charisma was perfect for Los Angeles at the time. Then you think about Chick Hearn, Worthy, Cooper, Scott, Riley, the Forum, just everything about the 80's Showtime Lakers. Five championships. What a special time.
User avatar
Lets Go Lakers

 
Posts: 2069
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby UncLaker on Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:17 am

^^^^^
Magic did make those Showtime Lakers fun to watch.
This LAKER era of basketball not so much!! (all the NBA)
SOME times i wonder of these guys are having fun out there?
UNC Lakers

Mitch Kupchak,Bob McAdoo, James Worthy, Rick Fox, Sam Perkins,
JR Reid, Shammond Williams,George Lynch, Charlie Scott,
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_many_North_Carolina_players_went_to_the_NBA_dont_forget_Brandon_Wright

"that guy has the best NO PASS look in the game today"
"If ya dont practice Defense, You cant practice winning"

"Antawn Jamison in Purple and Gold please"
User avatar
UncLaker

 
Posts: 1393
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:21 am
Location: Las Vegas, NC, LA

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby Sgt. Pepper on Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:12 am

Kobe is like a mix of Magic and Bird.
Like Magic, he was part of the lakers, under periods of extreme criticsm from the media, and going to many championships (winning too).
But like bird, he has the personality, clutchness, and will. Also has sort of a rival (in Lebron) with the opposite personality.
User avatar
Sgt. Pepper

 
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:13 am

I thought the show was excellent. Even though I've heard much of the story and saw most of those series, it was so compelling to watch it all again in this light. Great stuff. Watched it with my son and he loved it too. He couldn't believe the highlight passes Magic was throwing down.
Lakerjones

 
Posts: 14887
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby pureuncut100 on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:48 am

I got a new respect for Larry Bird. He didnt want to be the Great White Hope. In the 80s, I thought he played on that theme but he didnt. The media formulated my opinion of Bird. The country was so damn split on racial lines back then with Magic and Bird. Magic was winning but Bird got the credit/glory. Bird just wanted to win. I truly believe he didnt care for the accolades. Props to them both.
pureuncut100

 
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:53 pm

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby mamatheregoesthatman on Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:34 am

pureuncut100 wrote:I got a new respect for Larry Bird. He didnt want to be the Great White Hope. In the 80s, I thought he played on that theme but he didnt. The media formulated my opinion of Bird. The country was so damn split on racial lines back then with Magic and Bird. Magic was winning but Bird got the credit/glory. Bird just wanted to win. I truly believe he didnt care for the accolades. Props to them both.


I've always respected Larry Bird. Like you said, he only wanted to win, and nothing else mattered to him. He's a tough competitor, and a genuinely nice guy (except when he was playing the game, of course). As for the racial split and media spin, I disagree with you somewhat. Perhaps Magic should've won ROY (not that Bird wasn't worthy of it, he clearly was), but other than that, Magic got as much praise as Bird, maybe more. It's a shame Bird's career was cut short by injury and Magic's by disease, their rivalry died too soon. May both of them be with us for many more years. :jam2:
Thanks for the sig, Jr. Kobe.

Image
User avatar
mamatheregoesthatman

 
Posts: 7812
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby Pig Miller on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:58 am

i love watching the old highlights of the lakers/celtics getting into it with each other.

it was a healthy competitiveness with one another. of course there's the rambis/mchale clothesline, kareem throwing that elbow at bird's face, coop getting into bird's face and then subsequently getting bodied into the camera men, ainge throwing the ball at worthy's(?) back on the inbounds, even magic and bird having words after a hard foul
Pig Miller

 
Posts: 2786
Joined: Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 am

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby lalfan on Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:37 am

Lets Go Lakers wrote:Anytime i watch anything about Magic and the Showtime Lakers, i just want to say, "Thank You" for the championships and the good times. Magic is my all time favorite Laker. He will never be replaced. He was special. His charisma was perfect for Los Angeles at the time. Then you think about Chick Hearn, Worthy, Cooper, Scott, Riley, the Forum, just everything about the 80's Showtime Lakers. Five championships. What a special time.


agreed, back then it was all about winning while having fun. there weren't any drama (at least not publicly), everyone knows their role, if not, Magic and Riley would be in their faces. sounded refreshing nowadays isn't it.
lalfan

 
Posts: 1907
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 7:35 pm

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:05 am

mamatheregoesthatman wrote:
pureuncut100 wrote:I got a new respect for Larry Bird. He didnt want to be the Great White Hope. In the 80s, I thought he played on that theme but he didnt. The media formulated my opinion of Bird. The country was so damn split on racial lines back then with Magic and Bird. Magic was winning but Bird got the credit/glory. Bird just wanted to win. I truly believe he didnt care for the accolades. Props to them both.


I've always respected Larry Bird. Like you said, he only wanted to win, and nothing else mattered to him. He's a tough competitor, and a genuinely nice guy (except when he was playing the game, of course). As for the racial split and media spin, I disagree with you somewhat. Perhaps Magic should've won ROY (not that Bird wasn't worthy of it, he clearly was), but other than that, Magic got as much praise as Bird, maybe more. It's a shame Bird's career was cut short by injury and Magic's by disease, their rivalry died too soon. May both of them be with us for many more years. :jam2:


That was illuminating to see how truly color blind Larry was. I thought Isaiah and Rodman had a point at the time but what they said was pretty mean-spirited calling Bird overrated because he was white. Individual awards like MVP tend to really cause contention.

The coolest thing to me was just how human Larry and Earvin are. Their friendship and competition is so deservedly legendary! Great to hear more about that commercial shoot that brought them together and melted the ice between them. You can just see Larry's mom cooking it up and taking in Earvin, and he thinking so much of the similarity between her and his own mom. Great stuff. Man, I knew Larry struggled with his back, but never knew the extent. I used to hate the guy because he was a Celtic and our archrival. But he's a class guy in the way he was friends with Earvin.
Lakerjones

 
Posts: 14887
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby LakerFan1235 on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:37 pm

Yeah I wasn't alive in the 80s but I always like seeing stuff like that. I thought it was going to be a boring documentary but HBO is solid with those, I was really entertained. I didn't realize how big the sub plot of white VS. Black was in the whole magic bird thing. I still have about a half-hour left, but so far I love it. The competitiveness was crazy back then between Lakers and Celtics. Part of why I am sad that Stern has such a tight leash with suspensions now. And I had no idea the NBA was struggling SO much before Magic and Bird revamped it.
Every time I begin to ask, "Is he really as great as I think he is?" ...He proves that he is.
Every time I begin to wonder...He proves it...That is why I won't lose hope in him.
You know who I am talking about.
User avatar
LakerFan1235

 
Posts: 4680
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 10:02 pm
Location: San Luis Obispo,CA

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby pureuncut100 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:20 am

LakerFan1235 wrote:Yeah I wasn't alive in the 80s but I always like seeing stuff like that. I thought it was going to be a boring documentary but HBO is solid with those, I was really entertained. I didn't realize how big the sub plot of white VS. Black was in the whole magic bird thing. I still have about a half-hour left, but so far I love it. The competitiveness was crazy back then between Lakers and Celtics. Part of why I am sad that Stern has such a tight leash with suspensions now. And I had no idea the NBA was struggling SO much before Magic and Bird revamped it.


The white vs. black thing was the reason why that rivalry was so big in the 80s. It was the reason why Larry Holmes vs. Jerry Cooney was the highest grossing heavy weight fight in history especially if you adjust it for inflation (also in the 80s). For these reasons, Larry Bird had a bigger role in bringing back basketball that Magic. Its just a fact.

Its funny, the Lakers won 5 championships and had a lot of success after the final series between Boston and LA played out. Boston has been crap for the most part. Many people, including myself, think the reason is that Boston APPEARED to try to win with white players. When free agency came around, no one wanted to go there. Boston has just now started to get rid of that stigma. Its funny if you think about it, of their handful of black contributors, Dennis Johnson had freckles and Robert Parrish was Indian.
pureuncut100

 
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:53 pm

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby Chick22-44-33Consec on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:12 am

As an old head I have been fortunate to have lived to see the NBA's two greatest player rivalries, Wilt-Russell and Magic-Bird. Russ and Wilt started of as pals and then became distant whereas in the case of Magic and Bird-it was just the opposite. I agreed completly with Bryant Gumbel, Jordan gets way too much credit for "saving the NBA", that's a bunch of crapola. Wilt and Russ put the Association on the map and Magic-Bird elevated it.
User avatar
Chick22-44-33Consec

 
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:39 am
Location: AfroDena

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby Chick22-44-33Consec on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:19 am

Pig Miller wrote:painful to see magic unexplicably running out the clock, worthy throwing away the ball, losing a couple of OT games in the finals

damn!!!



More painful to watch live and it still burns more since its occurence was Donnie Nelsons' "luckiest shot in the history of the finals" when the Russell led Keltix beat the Baylor-West-Wilt team in 1969 and the Ralph Sampson ansered prayer that propelled the Rockets over the Magic-Kareem-Coops-Worthy Showtime Lakers.

I was surprised that in the HBO special they didn't make mention of the Bostom Memorial Day Massacre when the Keltix crushed the Lakers and whupped them by over 30 points, a game not even as close as the final score.
User avatar
Chick22-44-33Consec

 
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:39 am
Location: AfroDena

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby Chick22-44-33Consec on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:27 am

pureuncut100 wrote:
LakerFan1235 wrote: Its funny if you think about it, of their handful of black contributors, Dennis Johnson had freckles and Robert Parrish was Indian.



What the eff? Do you realize that Boston was the first team to field an all Black starting line up and have the first Black head coach? This during the 1960s when Boston was known as one of the most racist cities in the country. Many Black people have freckles because of white slave owners raping their female slaves, it is not unusual for Blacks to have indegenous heritage because native Americans were not racists and runaway slaves became members of native society. Parrish was nicknamed "Chief", not because of his heritage but because he resembles the Chief, a chaarcter from the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
User avatar
Chick22-44-33Consec

 
Posts: 352
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 7:39 am
Location: AfroDena

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby pureuncut100 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:51 am

Chick22-44-33Consec wrote:
pureuncut100 wrote:
LakerFan1235 wrote: Its funny if you think about it, of their handful of black contributors, Dennis Johnson had freckles and Robert Parrish was Indian.



What the eff? Do you realize that Boston was the first team to field an all Black starting line up and have the first Black head coach? This during the 1960s when Boston was known as one of the most racist cities in the country. Many Black people have freckles because of white slave owners raping their female slaves, it is not unusual for Blacks to have indegenous heritage because native Americans were not racists and runaway slaves became members of native society. Parrish was nicknamed "Chief", not because of his heritage but because he resembles the Chief, a chaarcter from the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest


Doesnt matter what the truth was. DOesnt really matter what I think or you for that matter. Perception is sometimes reality.
pureuncut100

 
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sun May 21, 2006 9:53 pm

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby AIRBROWN on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:24 am

Masterpiece :bow:
Image
AIRBROWN

 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:28 pm

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby gcclaker on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:28 pm

That era of Johnson and Bird couldn’t have been better scripted or written. Their personalities were disparate on the outside yet similar on the side. One was a flashy, engaging urban kid while the other was shy, distrustful one. Also their respective teams were mirror opposites. The Movie Stars vs. The Longshoremen. Hollywood vs. Old Tradition. Showtime vs. Grind It Out. Central casting could not have done it better.

Yep, I lived through, saw firsthand that 1984 Finals debacle which I’ll never forget. Riley called the aftermath “The Summer of The Big Brood” which I’m sure he knows it wasn’t just with the team and the organization. It was a painful lesson in resiliency and fight that they carried with them through that following breakthrough season of 1985. As a Laker fan, for me that will NEVER be topped.

The documentary was well made, honestly presented, paced and not liberally sugar coated. I would love to see it hit DVD or even better Blu Ray. It DEFINITELY will have a place in my library.
Nor can the Lakers get blamed for always making the right decisions over decades. At some point its not just luck or "gamble", its superior management and superior ownership.
User avatar
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15007
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 am
Location: Laker Cyber Space

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby Sgt. Pepper on Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:48 pm

I'd also like to point out the way it ended was very witty and well thought out, with each rival saying what they wish they could have had. It just seemed really deep in retrospect that throughout all the competitiveness, rivalry, hatred, and such, they wished they were more like the other.
User avatar
Sgt. Pepper

 
Posts: 616
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:01 pm

Re: Magic and Bird: A Courtship of Rivals

Postby AIRBROWN on Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:57 pm

I'm watching every day on HBO demand
Image
AIRBROWN

 
Posts: 2696
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:28 pm

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Center Court, Google [Bot], MSNbot Media and 14 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.