Magic: "Im embarrassed to be associated with Lakers"

Re: Magic: "Im embarrassed to be associated with Lakers"

Postby Ice-Fire on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:23 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:You could make an argument for KAJ, but thats not the point.

I love Magic and what he did for the franchise, but things like this serve no purpose.

Of course he can voice his displeasure. And we are perfectly within our rights as fans to convey the opinion that he needs to shut his trap and that jumping on the "Lakers Suck" bandwagon doesnt serve anyone.

You want to offer critical analysis of our game? Great, we need it.

Going out and saying he "embarrassed to be associated" with the lakers is just a cheap shot and alienates him from the organization, players, and fans.

He's embarrassed to be associated with the Lakers, because they had no idea what it means to play the Celtics, and if you watched the game last night you would realize that Magic has a point.... anyone who doesn't get up to play the Celtics deserves to be embarrassed... Magic in his own words knows that this Organization is going down like a volcano blast and the team is suffering because of it.

He has the right to be embarrassed.
Ice-Fire

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Kasumi wrote:Don't worry Magic, the feeling is mutual. Lakers fans are embarrassed by your (former) association with the Lakers, post-playing days.

Magic was a great player and he's a great businessman, but he has no loyalty to the Lakers organization. He's trashed Kobe and the Lakers even when it wasn't deserved, all in the name of being a TV analyst. He can't have it both ways - either he's associated with the Lakers or he's not. If he is, then he should support the team externally and rip them internally. If he isn't, then rip them all you want but don't pretend to be a part of the organization.

Exactly.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby scissors on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:23 pm

Tell it to the team and not Twitter. SMH.
scissors

Postby BDG on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:24 pm

I get where Magic is coming from. Completely.

However, the guy is the biggest bandwagon Lakers fan out there. This is the biggest nightmare season in perhaps the franchise's history and all you can do is talk negative from the sidelines?

Come on.

I'm usually cool with Magic criticizing the team (to a degree when he's an "analyst"), but this isn't helping anything.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby abeer3 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:25 pm

this would mean more if magic didn't reverse course on a daily basis. the team has been embarrassing all year. one nightmare offensive performance against a team that was shooting the lights out shouldn't be the tipping point. games like that happen to mediocre and bad teams. the lakers are that this year.
abeer3

Postby Ice-Fire on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:25 pm

khmrP wrote:he's only a homer when things are going well otherwise he's slobbing all over the "King" jock.

He gets to show appreciation when things are going well, I never viewed Magic as a homer.... but he has a point here... anyone who doesn't get up to play the Celtics deserve to be embarrassed.
Ice-Fire

Postby John3:16 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:26 pm

This thread will never be complete until Kray posts in it.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:You could make an argument for KAJ, but thats not the point.

I love Magic and what he did for the franchise, but things like this serve no purpose.

Of course he can voice his displeasure. And we are perfectly within our rights as fans to convey the opinion that he needs to shut his trap and that jumping on the "Lakers Suck" bandwagon doesnt serve anyone.

You want to offer critical analysis of our game? Great, we need it.

Going out and saying he "embarrassed to be associated" with the lakers is just a cheap shot and alienates him from the organization, players, and fans.

He's embarrassed to be associated with the Lakers, because they had no idea what it means to play the Celtics, and if you watched the game last night you would realize that Magic has a point.... anyone who doesn't get up to play the Celtics deserves to be embarrassed... Magic in his own words knows that this Organization is going down like a volcano blast and the team is suffering because of it.

He has the right to be embarrassed.

You nailed it. He knows things arent good right now so he wants to publically slam them to distance himself.

In a year or two (hopefully) when we're contenders again he'll be waiving the laker flag and talking about "the greatest franchise".

As I said in my earlier post, of course he's ALLOWED to do it.

But for you to not understand (or pretend to not understand) why it makes people angry to have to listen to him flip-flop and essentially bandwagon the lakers blows my mind.
Last edited by phoenixrisingla on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenixrisingla

Postby John3:16 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:28 pm

7 - 2 in our last 9 games and we get this comment from Magic? Good thing Wilt and West didn't make similar claims after Magic choked away the 84 Finals.
John3:16
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:30 pm

John3:16 wrote:This thread will never be complete until Kray posts in it.

kray28 wrote:Magic embarrasses me greatly....his willingness to distance himself from the Lakers is appreciated though. If you're ashamed of the Lakers so much, please don't pretend. You sold your stake in the Lakers.

Over the years just how much of a black eye has Magic's media antics done to the Lakers? I think it's a fair question to ask. He has worked on so many occasions to verbally undermine this team and it's lead players that I've basically lost count...and just stopped counting.

At any rate, Magic still tries at times to act as some sort of "spokesman" for the franchise. I wish he would stop. I wish he would stop giving me his opinion on matters pertaining to the Lakers because as a Laker fan, I almost never agree with his point of view.
Last edited by Doc Brown on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:SO because he voices his displeasure he has no loyalty? so I guess everyone would feel better if Magic was a homer ? :man8:

It is amazing that you can actually miss EVERY single point and still post with such vigor.

I'll try to help you though I am sure it won't sink in.....

People are calling Magic a front runner and a front runner only. He only cares to be associated with this team when we are winning. If we are losing or not playing our best ball he is consistantly throwing our team and the players under the bus. Magic the broadcaster is nothing more than a glorified ESPN yes man plain and simple. After we beat OKC he was all on our jocks but now we lost to Boston after losing Pau and barely getting Dwight he jumps back off our jocks. Hell you are probably to young to really understand what the Lakers/Celtics rivalry really is but Magic does and his comments have nothing to do with that rivalry. Now, Watching James Worthy talk about it on TWC you can understand about what it means. LA played horrible last night but for him to come out and say that makes him sound like the normal front runner he has proven to be over the years.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Ice-Fire on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:31 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:You nailed it. He knows things arent good right now so he wants to publically slam them to distance himself.

In a year or two (hopefully) when we're contenders again he'll be waiving the laker flag and talking about "the greatest franchise".

But for you to not understand why it makes people angry to flip-flop and essential bandwagon the lakers blows my mind.

Sorry to break it to you, unless by some miracle Jim Buss no longer has the keys to future Laker moves we will not be a contender for the next decade.
Ice-Fire

Postby Weezy on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:34 pm

And if we win a few games he'll be all smiles and talking about how the Lakers are back on track and have turned a corner, that's just Magic, he's almost a fan the same way we are.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ice-Fire on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:36 pm

I understand why people are getting tired of Magic's anti-rants...... but I also understand his displeasure... and know that he probably wants things to get better probably more then us....... he still bleeds P&G....
Ice-Fire

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:You nailed it. He knows things arent good right now so he wants to publically slam them to distance himself.

But for you to not understand why it makes people angry to flip-flop and essential bandwagon the lakers blows my mind.

Sorry to break it to you, unless by some miracle Jim Buss no longer has the keys to future Laker moves we will not be a contender for the next decade.

I dont know what I respect more, the accuracy of your crystal ball or the lack of faith you have in a great organization.

We dont need bandwagoners. Former players or otherwise.

phoenixrisingla

Postby Ice-Fire on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:39 pm

phoenixrisingla wrote:I dont know what I respect more, the accuracy of your crystal ball or the lack of faith you have in a great organization.

Lack of faith? no..... look at how many bad moves this Organization has made through out the years then you can get back to me.... choosing Mike Brown over Adelman.... choosing MDA "Theclown" over Phil Jackson.... basically killing any future flexibility by throwing away 4 future picks in the Nash trade and getting a disgruntled superstar player from Orlando.

we are doomed.
Ice-Fire

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:
phoenixrisingla wrote:I dont know what I respect more, the accuracy of your crystal ball or the lack of faith you have in a great organization.

Lack of faith? no..... look at how many bad moves this Organization has made through out the years then you can get back to me.... choosing Mike Brown over Adelman.... choosing MDA "Theclown" over Phil Jackson.... basically killing any future flexibility by throwing away 4 future picks in the Nash traded and getting a disgruntled superstar player from Orlando.

we are doomed.

OK, have fun cheering for the Heat.

Bye.
phoenixrisingla

Postby Ice-Fire on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:45 pm

The Heat? no,,, I will always cheer for this team, hoping that a miracle happens.
Ice-Fire

Postby phoenixrisingla on Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:49 pm

Ice-Fire wrote:The Heat? no,,, I will always cheer for this team, hoping that a miracle happens.

Your "cheering" just sounds awfully negative.

I can tell you're a little younger so let me give you a little advice; things change quickly on the lakers. This organization (despite Jim Buss) is committed to winning. Thats why its such an amazing team to be a fan of.

If you're committed to being here long-term, there's just no reason to say things like "we wont be a contender for the next decade" because 60 years of laker basketball say otherwise.

I know its bad now, just dont go over the cliff with the negativity man.

GO LAKERS. :jam2:
phoenixrisingla

Postby karacha on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:13 pm

The team is bad right now and has no chemistry. Our guys can't stop talking nonsense to the press.

However, I would like to remind Magic of some games he and his teammates lost against our rival, the Celtics....

...Yeah.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby LOSLAKERS on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:14 pm

Magic is a goon. We just won a championship a few years ago and are 2nd place ALL TIME with 16... The Celtics aren't doing much better either so if he's embarrassed to be associated with the Lakers he would probably kill himself if he were on any other team.
LOSLAKERS

Postby M2K on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:18 pm

Magic and Kobe are my two favorite players of all time. Having said that...Magic is as predictable as the sun rising. If the Lakers are doing well, they are one of the elite teams capable of winning a Championship. If they are doing poorly, they're an embarrassment.

When you look at this half season of basketball, the Lakers added major new pieces, got rid of key pieces, switch coaches, and had a slew of injuries...not to a few bench scrubs...but to the very players that were expected to make this team a contender.

How good could this team be if they all started the preseason together and were injury free this year? I would say, a serious threat to win a Championship.
M2K

Postby Chillbongo on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:23 pm

I wonder if Kobe knows about these comments.
Chillbongo

Postby Lakerjones on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:26 pm

It's because we didn't put up a fight against THOSE GUYS. And I get that. I was pissed last night, too. We didn't bring any kind of energy against our nemesis. But then I thought about it for a second. None of these guys except Kobe and Ron were around for our battles against them in this era. Even Pau was out. Kobe and Artest alone. Guys like Nash don't have that history against the Celtics. Meeks, Jamison, all the rest . . . Even though Howard had some battles against them, he doesn't seem to really hate that franchise. For us that should have been one of the biggest games of the year. But for most of our team it wasn't any different than playing Charlotte tonight. Just another stop on the road trip.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby ojdidit123 on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:48 pm

If we are losing or not playing our best ball he is consistantly throwing our team and the players under the bus.

Much as he and everyone else should we are supposed to be the ones that set the standard puff we aren't supposed to be the s*itbox team thats reserved for everyone else and we are especially not supposed to be so horrendously awful with this group. Just like when the Yankees come up short they deserve to be torn to shreds and so do we when we come up short. We have the highest payroll in the league by 15 million and are way over the cap to attempt to win titles which we just don't do anymore and if you can't win or even make it to the playoffs with Nash,Howard,Kobe injuries or not the circumstances shouldn't matter but we just aren't what we once were. Magic just sees this team for what it is right now in a state of turmoil like we haven't seen in a long time and alot of people that have invested themselves in this team over the years are upset,angry, and panicking and they should be because this just wasn't supposed to happen to us it was unforseeable
ojdidit123

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion