Major Concerns about the Princeton Offense

Major Concerns about the Princeton Offense

Postby Hello Clark on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:32 pm

MWP's had more touches and ball handling than Nash so far.

Anyone else notice this? Is this by design? He seems to have the ball more than Nash quite often in the offense.

Right now this looks worse than last year's Mike Brown offense. Hope they get it together reeeeal soon.

:bang:
Last edited by Hello Clark on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hello Clark

Re: Princeton concerns, why is MWP handling ball more than Nash?

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:47 pm

Hey Clark
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:53 pm

Admittedly I missed the first quarter of this game...

but if you mean in general, that's absolutely false.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:03 pm

Lol he does try to handle the ball a little too much for my liking though.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Hello Clark on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:03 pm

Well there you have it. Brown inserts MWP back in the line up with Nash, and guess what happens, MWP gets the ball, handles it for a while and causes a turnover trying to pass to Dwight
Hello Clark

Postby Finwë on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:07 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:Lol he does try to handle the ball a little too much for my liking though.

Yep, he looks way out of control from time to time
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Re: Concerns about the Princeton Offense

Postby FabFourLakers on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:16 pm

Well i dunno about MWP havin the ball more...but Nash definitely has the ball in his hands LESS with the Princeton offense. So far, I'm NOT liking this offense one bit.
FabFourLakers

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:26 pm

Regarding tonight's preaseason

1) Ron did everything wrong. He wouldn't shoot an open corner shot when he got it. Instead he would try to do something off the dribble and it screwed up the offense

2) Other than a putback, Pau did nothing today. He kept turning the ball over, kept shooting outside shots and even tried a 3 and avoided battling inside

Cant run offense if 2 out of 5 are playing as bad as they are

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Kobe8Fan on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Didn't look like the Princeton to me. Look more like Mike Brown's twin tower offense.
Kobe8Fan

Postby The Original 81 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:30 pm

Ugly play out there on offense tonight for the majority of the time. Didn't like the way Pau played either in particular.
"Let me say one more thing about Kobe. He will be the best player in the history of the game. If he keeps doing what he's doing, there is no stopping him. He is that good." - Shaquille O'Neal in his autobiography, "Shaq Talks Back"
The Original 81

Re: Major Concerns about the Princeton Offense

Postby Johnnyboy on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:36 pm

bring back the triangle for Gods sake
Johnnyboy

Postby jjin28 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:37 pm

forget executing an intricate offense.
Nash goes on instinct and feel. What was the point of getting one of the best decision making point guards if we have to run a thinking offense?

Just let nash control the rock, direct the offense as he sees it and run wild
“you don’t even know me and you mad. How it feel to be a hater, now I know exactly how it feels to be a Laker." - JAY Z
jjin28

Postby The Rock on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:44 pm

- Running the offense exclusively with Nash initiating is quite exhausting. He even said it himself it wears you down
- Nash at most is gonna play 30 minutes so we have to have a system where we can still be self reliant without him

I am definitely for letting Nash run wild but its good to balance it out and have an identity in place as well.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Kit on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:49 pm

We should disable the Princeton offense when Nash is on the floor.
Kit

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Our offense has looked atrocious for this preseason except for a few occasions of Princeton sets, and of course mostly it has looked good when Nash and company are left to their own devices.

Lot of work to do here. What concerns me is that Mike Brown is doing a lot of the same crap that I saw from him last year - stupid lineups, bad substitutions, no good idea of what will work, bad ideas on the offensive end, stubbornness about players . . .

I definitely have been one of the major harpers on running the Princeton when Nash is in. They need to do as little of that as they can get away with, especially because everyone just seems confused when it happens. But they did bring in Eddie Jordan and they can't just scrap the whole idea. The bench should be running Jordan's offense at the very least. The problem I'm seeing is that it all looks out of whack. I blame Brown because he's still the head coach and the guy calling the shots. I'd love to see him fired. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Jordan and Bickerstaff running things. Brown is lousy.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby wcsoldier81 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:57 pm

Metta is a disaster in any offense which requires an above average B-Ball IQ ...
wcsoldier81

Postby Lakerjones on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:03 pm

wcsoldier81 wrote:Metta is a disaster in any offense which requires an above average B-Ball IQ ...

But here's the thing - Metta has played well under Rick Adelman and his system is an offshoot of some of the Princeton offense.

I think it's more a confusion on what the coaching staff wants to do out there. I think there's a disconnect going on between what Jordan would like to see and what Brown is telling the guys. I was concerned that too many cooks might be in the kitchen and I think that's happening. What we're seeing looks so chaotic and unorganized. I really wish we would just can Brown.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:06 pm

Princeton is an "automatic" offense. Just like the triangle. Anybody remember 2005-2006?

Well this season it won't be just Kobe bailing us out. He'll have some help.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby dingclancy on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:20 am

After reading this. I have developed some faith in the offense.

http://www.nba.com/wizards/#/story/news ... 61228.html

Interestingly, the Kidd era Nets used this offense, and Arenas was the leading scorer using this offense. So it can really be a great system for a PG like Nash.
dingclancy

Postby The Rock on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:49 pm

Brown has the right intention of utilizing the Princeton offense...the problem is does he know it inside and outside and help these guys learn? Does he know how to make adjustments? Does he know how to counter a zone if they put that on us and still utilize Princeton? Lots of questions to be answered. I hope he just lets Eddie Jordan and Bernie Bickerstaff do their thing, I dont like seeing him talk to players in between stoppage of plays and telling them what spots on the floor to be at because as we saw yesterday (even Stu pointed it out), players with the ball are pointing at the guys to go to spots on the floor where they can pass the ball...like I know its a read and react offense but guys are thinking too much

And I would forget about running the Princeton when it comes to the bench...we didnt run a bit of the Triangle in 2008 and we reached the NBA Finals, we just let Farmar do pick and roll to shoot or he can just penetrate and find open shooters (Vlad, Fisher). Id just let Goudelock P & P or P & R with Jamison and let those guys create offense for others. I dont think Jamison/Hill/Ebanks etc can grasp it...hell even Nash and Pau are having trouble with it how can we expect our bench to understand it?

Our 2nd unit lineup should be...Glock/Meeks/Ebanks/Jamison/ at C Hill or Pau. 2 shooters, a stretch 4, a post player and a slasher.

Remember when Sessions came in and Mike just let him do his thing? Like no thinking, no pressure on trying to run an offense. It was basically encouraging him to look to score the ball if not find a n open player. Sessions becamse garbage after Brown told him to slow it down and run the offense.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Johnnyboy on Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:58 pm

Lets see, you got the best pick and roll PG of all time. You to one of the best Roll Bigs off all time but you run an offense that takes the ball out of the pg's hands? brilliant
Johnnyboy

Postby The Rock on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:01 pm

Johnnyboy wrote:Lets see, you got the best pick and roll PG of all time. You to one of the best Roll Bigs off all time but you run an offense that takes the ball out of the pg's hands? brilliant

I dont think thats the issue. P & R is too easy for these guys, they already have a great command of it. But its predictable, I dont remember a Pick & Roll team (without shooters like we do) win a championship. In a 7 game series if you make adjustments what do you do when P & R is taken away?? You're screwed so you need an identity and Princeton is just fine. Mike Brown's instructions on implementing is what worries me . P & R is good for secondary transition opportunities and we'll see a fair share of it.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:15 pm

:bang: :bang:

It's seriously not that hard to understand why they spent all pre-season working on the offense. Pick and roll is easy. Pick and roll isn't complicated. The Princeton offense is and they needed the opportunities to figure some things out.

When the time comes, they'll focus more on pick and roll play. They know it, the coaches know it, why don't we know it yet?
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:02 pm

Well, probably because pick and roll is good, but you can't just run that all season. You have to have something else against good teams... and in the playoffs too.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby borri on Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:17 pm

God I hate to beat a dead horse but damn it....why didn't we hire Adelman!!! :bang:
borri

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion