Major reason the Lakers lost it this year??

What was main factor this year that prevented the four peat??

Shaq's failure to get into shape?
28%
Kupchak not making moves before trade deadline to better the team?
7%
Role players not stepping up?
No votes
Team complaisency?? No more hunger after#3?
21%
Lack of third scorer?
14%
Team too old?
7%
Lack of depth?
21%

Total votes : 14

Major reason the Lakers lost it this year??

Postby MIKEDOG on Sat May 31, 2003 12:45 am

We all know that there was no ONE single reason why the Lakers failed to four peat, but what do you think was the main factor???
MIKEDOG

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat May 31, 2003 12:48 am

It's obviously the lack of depth. When our roll players got injured the bench wasn't able to step it up come playoff time. Phil neva gave them that much PT especially in the clutch, and that's what killed us. We can't depend on specific players, we gotta have all players as lethal threats... :bow:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby MIKEDOG on Sat May 31, 2003 12:53 am

The problem is apart from Kobe and Shaq there is NO threat at all from any single player! But that has been par for the course since Rice left. But Shaqs dominance in the other two years carried us through! Shaq was not the player this year as he was in years past, and unless he gets in shape he is going to get worse instead of better!
MIKEDOG

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat May 31, 2003 12:57 am

Well of course if any player isn't in shape they're obviously not gonna play well...
LakersGyrl2003

Postby MIKEDOG on Sat May 31, 2003 1:01 am

LakersGyrl2003 wrote:Well of course if any player isn't in shape they're obviously not gonna play well...

You need to go talk to Shaq, because I do not think he knows that!
MIKEDOG

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat May 31, 2003 1:03 am

Sure he's been gainin weight, but it's not all his fault, that's what I'm tryin to say. If the rest can't step it up, and they depend on him to do all, then what's that gonna look like in the long run?
LakersGyrl2003

Postby MIKEDOG on Sat May 31, 2003 1:13 am

Other than Kobe the other players on this team have no choice but to depend on Shaq!! That is how this team was built. The "role palyers" are just that, no more! They are not guys who can create for themselves they feed off of Shaq. And do not be fooled that is exactly the way Shaq demands it. That was the major conflict between Kobe and Shaq!! Kobe wanted the offense to run more through him and Shaq was pissed! But to me I want the ball to go through Shaq it is how we won championships and how we will continue to win them! But if he cannot get himself back into shape than I think it is time for a change!!
MIKEDOG

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Sat May 31, 2003 2:20 am

I don't know about you but SHAQ was the only player who came in 50 to 60 lbs. over weight. At SHAQ's age (31) his body will take a toll if he decides again to lose the weight during the season. Everybody heard is excuse about the damn TOE. Well that should not excuse him for not watching his diet. True, his teammates should of worked on their weaknesses in the off season but SHAQ's responsible for his teammates. He is one of the team captains. Heck, the team is built around him. He should be the one setting examples, not breaking them. He wants it all, the FAME/MONEY/RESPECT then he better start acting like he deserves it.

KOBE OUR REAL MVP :bow:
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby shaqass on Sat May 31, 2003 7:10 am

for me Shaq condition is the main factor, but as Mikedog said there are more than just one. Shaq is my favorite player from day #1. Beside LA, I was a good good fan of the magic (shame on me :man12: ) a couple of years ago , just because of him. He still is my favorite player but I have to concede that this year was a great dissapointment. I don't buy the delay for his operation (he wanted to have more opinions...) I would have prefered him beeing honest and say: I have worked hard this last three years I just want holiday. I am dissapointed because I always saw him as a leader, someone who could die for the other teamate. Seeing him during the serie against the Spurs was really sad. He was not himself basketball speaking but he was as well far from beeing a leader. He was simply absent.
shaqass
Clublakers Rep: Neuchatel

Postby shaqass on Sat May 31, 2003 7:14 am

(sorry to split my post but when I write too long post then I get this bug that write my sentences twice...and that is really annoying :man2: )

I am dissapointed because of his work ethic. For me a sportman has to be a model for the youngster. Even if didn't say it, his behavior said all: I am too good, I don't need to work for it. Not a good image I find. I am dissapointed because in a general manner he didn't do all it takes to be a champion while others (Kobe) just give all their guts. I am dissapointed because -as I said- he was, he is and he wil be my favorite player, but my hero is far from beeing the classy Superman he used to be
shaqass

Postby HndsmCelt on Sat May 31, 2003 1:22 pm

No box for "All of the Above"?
"We suck at rebounding"
Brad Miller
HndsmCelt
Clublakers Rep: Sac Kings

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sat May 31, 2003 1:28 pm

HndsmCelt,

If its all the above, then it wouldn't be a poll. We all know that all contributed to the Laker demise, but MIKEDOG just wanted to see which one is more influential to that demise. I thought it was clear.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby LAKERCHICK on Sat May 31, 2003 6:46 pm

REALLY YOU CANT BLAME JUST ONE PERSON
WELL REALLY IF SHAQ WAS IN SHAPE THIS YEAR HE PROBABLY COULD NOT CARRY THA WHOLE TEAM HIM SELF HES GONNA NEED HELP FROM OTHER TEAM MEMBERS WELL REALLY I DON'T THINK THA HUNGER EVER GOES CUZ I REMEMBER HORRY SAYING THAT THA HUNGER IS STILL THA SAME SO REALLY EVERYONE IS RESPONSIBLE IN SOME WAY. :man3:
Devean George
LAKERCHICK

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat May 31, 2003 11:27 pm

LAKERCHICK wrote:REALLY YOU CANT BLAME JUST ONE PERSON
WELL REALLY IF SHAQ WAS IN SHAPE THIS YEAR HE PROBABLY COULD NOT CARRY THA WHOLE TEAM HIM SELF HES GONNA NEED HELP FROM OTHER TEAM MEMBERS WELL REALLY I DON'T THINK THA HUNGER EVER GOES CUZ I REMEMBER HORRY SAYING THAT THA HUNGER IS STILL THA SAME SO REALLY EVERYONE IS RESPONSIBLE IN SOME WAY. :man3:

I feel ya... There's a difference from hunger, and gettin tha job done though... Yea I also believe that it's not just one persons fault, cuz that's why we have a team, and back up players. Our reserves weren't just used to gettin the minutes while the role players were bein depended on too much. Then when injuries occur, which is a part of the game, they had to step it up with the lack of PT they had in the past.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat May 31, 2003 11:29 pm

You will all see my reasons in my upcoming article, debuting tommorow... Trust me you will all be shocked.

:man12:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Sat May 31, 2003 11:31 pm

I can't wait to hear it!! :bow:
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Sat May 31, 2003 11:33 pm

Thanks LG2K3, I know you'll be both; Shocked and impressed... :man12:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby shaqass on Sun Jun 01, 2003 7:58 am

LAKERCHICK wrote:REALLY YOU CANT BLAME JUST ONE PERSON

One more time, yes I agree, it's not a single person fault. But the poll asks the main reason and in my opinion there is one!
shaqass

Postby shaqass on Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:04 am

Lakers Dynasty 2000 wrote:You will all see my reasons in my upcoming article, debuting tommorow... Trust me you will all be shocked.

:man12:

I am looking forward to it, with impatience!!! :man11:
shaqass

Postby Reddy on Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:35 am

well, you win and lose as a team, i agree with lakerchick, but one thing leads on to another, since the poll only asked for one, i voted for shaq not getting in shape, there are a myriad of reasons why we lost, and the major ones are in the poll, even kobe said that after the game loss, he said we have a million and one excuses, but the fact is, we aren't gonna make any. But with failure comes success!
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:12 am

If Shaq was in shape and healthy the whole season, then there is a chance that we could have gotten home field. No matter what we said about winning in the road, and that titles are won in the road, the reality is that home field would have helped us mental wise. To know that game 7 is in our house is a great mental edge. We stunk it up in the road this year. Our regular season road record was below .500, and we haven't won in the SBC center, yet. Also , we beat Sac. in Sac. when Webber was out. So home field is very important, mental wise. We still need to win in the road, though.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Return to Lakers Discussion