malone and payton???

malone and payton???

Postby lakers frizzo on Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:09 pm

without picking up horrys option can we have enough cash to land payton(meeting with mitch on monday) and malone(agent spoke to mitch face to face already on wedsday) and what team could even get close the next two to three years?

lakers champs through 2006 and beyond...
is shaq satisfied with three titles and continuing to blow up to 400 lbs or will he get the other hunger back and get down to 320 and win three more?? GO LAKERS 2004-06 CHAMPS!!!
lakers frizzo

Postby pltan on Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:15 pm

I suppose it's possible but unlikely. It's rumoured GP wants more money than the MLE, so we'd have to pay him the MLE + cash. Depending how much Malone wants, and I doubt it'll be the vet's min; it's possible but very doubtful IMO. Lots of teams are able to offer them more money than we can bring to the table.
pltan

Postby SWOL on Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:39 pm

frizzo we are so far over the cap that we cannot use any of Horrys 5.3
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

malone and payton: very much a reality

Postby vasashi17 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:22 am

Hey guys, I have always visited the posts and the clublakers website but this is my first reply. Anyways it feels great to jump on board and it feels even better delivering really reallly good news. :man13: Here is what I found about malone and payton possibly joinin the purple and gold next year! I had to pinch myself while I was reading it just to make sure I was still awake. Its like 2AM rite now but I'm sooo excited. Well I hope it happens. Feast your eyes on this my friends:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-lak ... nes-sports[/url]
vasashi17

Malone and Payton

Postby OJ2 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:59 am

Say what tou will about Malone but he has put Gary Payton to the test. If Paytyon really wants to get a ring before he retires all he has to do is sign on the purple and gold line.With a starting line-up of Kobe,Shaq and Karl all Gary has to do is get fitted. :man1:
OJ2

Malone and Payton

Postby OJ2 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:18 am

Since I live in HOTLANTA I depend on this site to keep me informed on the latest news (radio,t.v., newspapers etc.) about the Lakers. Does anyone know if Rick Fox has called Payton? If anyone can tell Gary the benefits of taking less money upfront it's Fox.I think things worked out for him. Also, has Shaq called Payton? the papers here keep saying the two of them are suppose to be tight.
OJ2

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:34 am

OJ2 and Vasashi17,

You two should definitely sign up in this site. We need more dedicated fans like the two of you.

Nothing more can be said of this past week. We know that Malone visited Mitch on Wednesday, and other FA are soon to follow. It's a great time of the year, when you hear the rumors and latest news about who the Lakers might sign. However, honestly, I can't wait for July 16, which is the first day of free agent signings. Payton and Malone would make great additions, but I just don't want to have my expectations destroyed IF they didn't. I can't wait till the 16th so that we can finally know who we got, instead who we might get.

Once again, you two should sign up to the site. Its easy.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Malone and Payton

Postby Johnnysee on Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:43 am

pltan wrote:Depending how much Malone wants, and I doubt it'll be the vet's min; it's possible but very doubtful IMO. Lots of teams are able to offer them more money than we can bring to the table.
[i]

This was Malone's idea, according to the report in the Times. And yes, he said he'd take the minimum, IF - and perhaps only if - Payton takes the mid-level.
Johnnysee

Malone and Payton : If it happens (BIG IF) what next?

Postby LakerFan1972 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:27 am

(my first post, nice website)

Here is our roster if Malone and Payton agree:

Point Guard- Gary Payton, D Fisher, G Pargo
Shooting Guard- Kobe Bryant, K Rush
Small Forward- Devean George, Luke Walton, R Fox (IR)
Power Forward- Karl Malone, Brian Cook
Center- Shaquille O'Neal, S Med

Total players under contract: 12
Active Players - 11 with Rick Fox on IR til Jan 04
Lakers will likely not carry more than 13 players, same as before.

Do you look to bring back Robert Horry or Mark Madsen?

Lakers still have some weakness in outside shooting and perimeter defense. We also have some young backup players at SG, SF (until Fox comes back), PF. We also do not have a good backup for Shaq though maybe Med and Malone would work for now.

Maybe it would good to get a pure shooter or possibly athletic perimeter players.

What about any of these free agents to fill our roster:

1) Erik Piatkowski - 6'6" 215lbs 33yrs ’94 draft - G - 9.7 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.1 apg, 39.8% 3pt

HoopsHype: "A pure shooter ... Not a physically gifted one ... His points will always come from the perimeter … Struggles on defense."

2) Ira Newble - 6'7" 220lbs 28yrs - G/F - defensive minded guy - 7.7 ppg, 3.7 rpg, 49.5% FG, 38% 3pt

HoopsHype: "Has athleticism … Likes to drive to the basket … The official defensive stopper in Atlanta."

3) Jumaine Jones - 6'8" 218lbs 24yrs 99’ draft - G/F - Cleveland probably won't resign him after the draft of LeBron...good overall game...plays multiple positions...do it all guy...could easily be higher on my list - 9.8 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 1.4 apg

HoopsHype: "Able to play both forward positions … Explosive … Great in the open court … Has three-point shooting range … effective shooting from the corner … Pretty good rebounder … Tenacious defender … Should drive to basket more often … An underated player"

4) Donnell Harvey - 6'8" 220lbd 23yrs ’00 draft - F - 7.9 ppg, 5.3 rpg, .4 bpg, 44.6% FG - good young post..active and athletic with long arms

HoopHype: "An impressive athlete with rebounding skills … His offensive game appears to be more polished … Can play the three frontcourt spots … Very inconsistent."

What do you guys think? I am still shocked that Malone would even suggest taking $1.5m LLE to free up the MLE for Payton.
LakerFan1972

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:43 am

L-fan1972,

Glad that you found the site and you should sign up. We always need some knowlegable fans like yourself. Great take on the Lakers.

I like Pike to add some scoring from the outside, only after we get Payton and Malone.

In regards to Madsen or Horry??
I'm still loyal to Rob and the heroics he has given the Lakers over the years. He is a clutch legend at his own right and I truly admire him for that. I still believe that Horry can play, even though he had a horrible shooting year. I'll take Horry.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby SWOL on Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:22 pm

welcome to the site.............i love Donnel Harvey and Ira Newble........either one would be nice...........I would be floored if both Payton and Malone came........Malone could tutor Cook and more importantly get him into the wieght room..........damn i hope this happens :jam2:
SWOL
Separated at Birth: Ron Artest

Postby zetaw00d on Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:57 pm

July 4 — According to the L.A. Times, "negotiations with Karl Malone have gone so well that (the Lakers) are considering the possibility they could sign him and still offer their full mid-level exception to Gary Payton." The Times reports that Malone, is willing to take the veteran's minimum, to insure the team would have the max available for Gary Payton. However, it is not known if Malone would be willing to play for the Lakers if there are unable to sign Payton. — L.A. Times

From foxsports.com
zetaw00d

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 2:08 pm

I saw the article this morning and I'm getting excited that Karl is willing to get that much. I guess the key now is getting Payton by all means possible, since Malone will just follow in line after GP.
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby lakers frizzo on Fri Jul 04, 2003 4:13 pm

This might be a smiggin of optimism but... with the draft picks we got and the veteran leadership were about to recieve at possibly the best bargain the league has ever seen, as long as we can resign kobe next year to a long term deal this could be a team that takes the next five or six championships and thats considering malone plays three years(thats what it will take at around 15 points a game for him to get the scoring title) and gets brian cook in the weight room and helps him gain 15-20 lbs of muscle and malone and payton can only make walton a great all around player defensively and take his passing to the next level. payton will also be possibly the best fourth scoring option the league has ever seen along with shutting down all the point guards in the playoffs the next couple years(no more "the great troy hudson and tony parker") and teaching pargo those tools so when paytons gone pargo can step in and produce. and oh yeah almost forgot about the benefits that george and medvedenko can gain from this experience....in one word WOW!!!!!!

just imagine all the open looks that malone, kobe, and payton will get along with shaq regaining dominance because it will be ofly hard to double team him with the scorers we'll have. this is a team that can set all time records for wins, points, rebounds, steals, and whatever else comes from having all those high caliber players in purple and gold.

we would still have the lle to spend also huh.......can you say pippen???
hell, might as well bring in jordan and let him get one more too!!!!!

cmon july 16..........GOD IF YOUR GOING TO ANSWER ANY PRAYERS THIS YEAR ANSWER THIS ONE....LET THIS HAPPEN...SPEAK TO PAYTON
is shaq satisfied with three titles and continuing to blow up to 400 lbs or will he get the other hunger back and get down to 320 and win three more?? GO LAKERS 2004-06 CHAMPS!!!
lakers frizzo

:

Postby JSM on Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:21 pm

what I wouldn't give to see the looks on the Kings, Mavs, and especially the Spurs player's faces when they see our line-up next season if Payton and Malone sign, they will want to just hand us the trophy and get the season over with.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 6:55 pm

Yeah lets just hope the queens don't ruin it for us by snagging one of them just to keep them from comin to us. I can't believe those losers did that to us time and time again last year and still claimed that we weren't in their heads. Well I guess they got a point cuz it will be "off with their heads" next season...You can count on it.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby #1_Kobe_fan on Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:10 pm

yea... I can hear them now.. ... trembling in fear, shaking in their boots, peeing in their pants... when they see the new look laker squad.
How many and how long would our winning streaks be?... damn
Yup we'll shatter some records, even records set by our predecesors.

its was:
WILT, WEST, BAYLOR,GOODRICH.....

I hope this will happen:
SHAQ,KOBE,MALONE,PAYTON

I just hope Malone, Payton can grasp the triangle offense
#1_Kobe_fan

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:17 pm

After its all said and done with, the League would probably have hoped that we won four straight, cuz then we would have probably slipped off the Championship radar for a while. Now we are even hungrier getting to a threepeat again so that we can finally get that elusive fourpeat. That all being said, I think the Laker-haters just better find another sport to follow, cuz for the next several years the game of basketball will be the Lakers won again.
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakers frizzo on Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:18 pm

can someone look this up: how many combined all star apperences would the lakers roster have if they got malone, payton and mabye scottie pippen? its got to be more than any other team in the history of the nba right?
lakers frizzo

Postby whats golden on Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:47 pm

Negotiations between Los Angeles Lakers and free agent power forward Karl Malone are moving in a direction where the Lakers could could sign him and be in a position to take on another free agent, point guard Gary Payton.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0704/1576812.html

This is an ESPN article that is saying the same thing. Malone for the vet min and Gp for the MLE. However getting Malone that cheap hinges on us signing GP with the MLE.

They said playing basketball would kill me. Well, not playing basketball was killing me.
Earvin ''Magic'' Johnson
whats golden

Postby JSM on Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:53 pm

Those 4 players have a total of 42 all star appearances. Kobe has 5, Shaq has 9, Pip has 7, Payton has 7, and Malone has 14.
JSM

Postby Guest on Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:54 pm

Where we loose Horry, is where we gain from Brian Cook. VERY similar players.

Plus think about this:

C - Shaquille O'Neal
PF - Karl Malone
SF - Rick Fox
SG - Kobe Bryant
PG - Gary Payton

Do I smell a ring?

Postby Vasashi17 on Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:24 pm

This deal better go down, otherwise I'll be heartbroken. And realistically no one can stop us offensively:

Shaq owns the paint
Kobe owns the whole court
Malone demands double teams in the post and is a very good mid range shooter
GP is a very good slasher and finally we have a PG that can make that sweeping tear drop once he gets into the lane. Also not to shabby from the arc.
Devean George, aside from his good looks making the Queens salivate at the mouth, he is very athletic and is developing that long bomb.

Tell me can you possibly double with this squad. And if you cheat you get burned.

Also we will own the defensive end:

Shaq once again owns the paint
Kobe is an All-Defensive First Teamer
Malone has 18 years of experience in a PF rich western conference defending and bruising his low post opponents
GP is called the Glove for a reason. With Kobe the Perimeter defense is on lock down.
George once again has his looks to distract his oppenent making him the potential steals leader for next season. But aside from that, he is a decent weak side defender and a great energy guy that can roam.

Tell me and prove to me, how you can stop all this. I don't care what other teams do, they can't possibly come close to stopping us next year. I can't wait until July 16th when its all finallized. And if it doesn't happen, I am already organizing a riot. You thought the Rodney King Riots were somethin!
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:26 pm

if Mitch pulls this off, we will be unstoppable. If Payton, Kobe, Shaq, or Malone were on a team by them self they would require a double team. So unless, the NBA makes a new rule and allows other teams to have 8 or more players on the court at once, I don't see how other teams will be able to guard us much less stop us. I wonder if we have cleared out a nice spot for our trophy yet.
JSM

Postby shaqass on Sat Jul 05, 2003 12:57 am

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... nba-lakers

If it happen, I marry my girlfriend :jam2: :jam2: :jam2:
shaqass
Clublakers Rep: Neuchatel

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion