Malone to make a decision....

Malone to make a decision....

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:51 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1578261.html

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Dwight Manley, the agent for Karl Malone, told ESPN.com Tuesday that he expects Malone to make a decision on his free-agent future Wednesday or Thursday, after hearing that Gary Payton plans to join the Los Angeles Lakers.

"Karl is at his ranch in Arkansas right now, and it'll probably be a day or two before he decides," Manley said. "As far as the Lakers (adding Payton), it really clarifies the Lakers for Karl. It definitely makes it very attractive."

Malone has shown strong interest in the Lakers from the start of the free agent negotiations on July 1, to a degree that the Hall of Fame-bound power forward is apparently willing to join the dethroned champions for a mere $1.5 million -- a cut of almost $18 million from his 2002-03 salary.

The $1.5 million figure is the most L.A. can offer Malone next season after committing its $4.9 million mid-level exception to Payton. Manley, though, emphasized that Malone's decision is "really not about the money at this point."

"Karl is going to go somewhere he is made to feel wanted," Manley said.

The Lakers practically would be panting at the prospect of signing Malone to fill their longstanding void at power forward, especially after Payton sent word through agent Aaron Goodwin on Tuesday that he plans to sign with L.A. on July 16, the first day NBA teams can sign players this offseason.

To add both of those heavyweights, for a combined $6.4 million next season, is a dream scenario for Lakers coach Phil Jackson, even though there will inevitably be concerns about fitting four Hall of Famer personalities into the same locker room. Given the history of struggle between Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant, tossing in the headstrong tag team of Payton and Malone guarantees that Jackson will have plenty of egos to massage.

More to the story......
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Reddy on Tue Jul 08, 2003 5:18 pm

he is sure wanted :D!!!!!
cool find! :D
INNOCENT

BE IN THE DREAM TEAM KOBE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

STATUS RETIRED
Reddy

Postby Kobe_One_Kenobi_8 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:20 pm

I just can't wait to see these guys in person.

Does anybody know when the first day of tickets come out on sale!!!!

I might just camp out the ticket office just to make sure I get the first home game of the Regular Season vs. Cleveland!!!
Kobe_One_Kenobi_8

Postby lakers frizzo on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:30 pm

with the lakers with this lineup i would sit lebron on the bench so his confidence doesnt drop to nothing hell i might not even let the kid see this game
is shaq satisfied with three titles and continuing to blow up to 400 lbs or will he get the other hunger back and get down to 320 and win three more?? GO LAKERS 2004-06 CHAMPS!!!
lakers frizzo

Postby Vasashi17 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:35 pm

With all that is happenin to Kobe right now, I know Kid Kobe will be goin hard at Lebron...Kobe's gonna drop 50 on his head....welcome to the NBA King James :man10:
Vasashi17
CL Global Moderator

Postby zetaw00d on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:36 pm

I have a feeling that Malone was bs the Lakers!!! He said if the Lakers sign payton then he would sign for the vet min!! Payton has committed and malone hasnt!!! Im thinking that he didnt think the Lakers had a chance to sign GP!!! Well thats my take. Until Malone committs!!!
zetaw00d

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:37 pm

Oh boy, just another day to wait.

Malone's blood has turned purple and yellow already, no biggie Malone.
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Postby ITS JOEY on Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:23 pm

the first home game is against cleveland????? oh crap!! thats gonna be awesome!
ITS JOEY

Postby Lakers Dynasty 2000 on Tue Jul 08, 2003 9:43 pm

Yes it is...

:man1:
Lakers Dynasty 2000

Return to Lakers Discussion