Maximizing Kobe and Pau

Maximizing Kobe and Pau

Postby 24K GOLD on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:03 pm

So looks like Dwight is leaving and I really don't want him to be a Laker anymore, so that leaves us with our championship duo to wade the testy waters of the West.

How do we maximze them? Do we PnR to death? Do we ask Pau to go on the block again?
I'm joining the communist now.. I don't like World peace...

24K GOLD

Re: Maximizing Kobe and Pau

Postby Weezy on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:06 pm

Short answer, we don't. Kobe will be out until December most likely, Pau and he won't play together for quite a while. We also don't know if Pau will even be here, he could be traded before the season. Bottom line, to me, way too soon for a question like this. IF Pau is still here when Kobe is back though, we do the same thing as usual with them I guess, but that's not nearly enough to win anymore, Pau is declining, Kobe will be playing back into shape for a while I'd assume.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:02 pm

Trade Pau for picks and amnesty Kobe, that's how we maximize THEM...maximizing them in a Lakers uniform might consist of something like throw it at the hoop and hope for the best...cause we are doomed for this season. I am in the midst of finishing a list of all the free agents we can afford to add...Just wait till you see it, it's genuinely pathetic. :man6:
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby wallangong on Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:40 pm

^ another gem.

if i see one more suggestion of using the amnesty on Kobe i'll probably tase myself.
Go Buffs.
wallangong

Postby Snakell Beast on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:23 pm

wallangong wrote:^ another gem.

if i see one more suggestion of using the amnesty on Kobe i'll probably tase myself.

Dude, I LOVE Kobe, but let's be less selfish here as Lakers fans. As much as I want to see him retire in Purple and Gold, he seriously doesn't deserve to toil on a team that will require him to carry them to 12th place in the conference, especially since he didn't do anything to deserve the incompetence that the front office has displayed over the past 2 seasons. And at this stage of his career, coming off of the worst injury he's ever had, he will need time to round back into form and we all know he will push too hard trying to lift the team if he is still here.

He needs time to heal and a chance to compete into June. We can't offer that, and honestly the sooner we start rebuilding the better. Let Kobe walk for this year, and if he wants to come back next summer on the cheap (MLE level) for two or three years, then I welcome him with open arms, but the only way we are going to be in a position to be able to reload is if our organization saves as much money as possible and positions itself to get under the cap one year sooner so that when we restock we won't face repeater taxes until 3 or 4 years down the road.

Kobe can save us TONS of cap penalties because releasing him IMMEDIATELY gets us UNDER THE CAP. It's the right thing to do. I don't want it to happen, but it makes financial and basketball sense right now, mainly because our only first round pick in the next two years needs to be as valuable as possible, and the Buss family needs to save as much money fir future roster investment as they can. It's a no brainer, for me.
The End is nigh. Time for a total Cut and Shuffle. Kobe contract was a mistake...time to avoid making more. The future is here, whether we want it to be or not. An era is over, but for the death rattle, and it's time for the cycle to begin anew. Growth and change are scary and painful, but alas...nothing worth achieving comes easily.
Snakell Beast

Postby trodgers on Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:38 pm

With so little money available it is a huge challenge. Get vets who can execute, try to win in half court? Get defense and athletes who have raw offensive games? Get shooters, create space on the floor, and let kobe and Pau do their thing?
blog.travisjrodgers.com
Its like Dr. Buss is guarding the Celtic rim this second half. Nothings dropping
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:24 pm

hopefully this will help maximize Nash & Pau. Nash originally was VERY excited to play with Pau...but i believe Dantoni put preference to dwight over pau when it came to Nash facilitating to the bigs
Ariza3

Postby Lakerjones on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:47 pm

Ariza3 wrote:hopefully this will help maximize Nash & Pau. Nash originally was VERY excited to play with Pau...but i believe Dantoni put preference to dwight over pau when it came to Nash facilitating to the bigs

Agreed. I would really like to see some pick and roll and pick and pop between those two. That's basketball 101 stuff and I'd like to get back to it. If Pau is healthy this year, and that's a big if, he should have better legs and should be able to do both p and r and pick and pop like he is capable of.

Basically though with both these guys and Nash, I don't know if it's maximizing as much as it is to see what they have left in the tank. Given their ages, and Kobe's injury I don't think there's a whole lot there. But I hope to see them come back and surprise us a little with some veteran play.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:54 pm

If we had Phil id believe we'd maximize Kobe Pau and Nash due to their age. But with Dantoni i have no hope. Unless they just ignore him and coach themselves. Coach Kobe&Nash could be as good as Coach Kidd.
Ariza3

Postby JSM on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:27 pm

With MDA at the helm, I expect we'll continue to see Pau as a 3 point shooter.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:40 pm

Ignoring my earlier answer, if Kobe and Pau DO play together this season, my guess is they will have to take it upon themselves to maximize playing together. Last season that's what happened, Kobe said enough is enough, Pau said he wasn't being used the right way, they went back to using Pau on the block and he started looking good again with his scoring and passing. 'Antoni IMO will have to figure out a better way to use Nash, Kobe and Pau, or they will ignore him and do their own thing, I'd honestly say all 3 of those guys are smarter basketball minds than 'Antoni.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:38 pm

wallangong wrote:^ another gem.

+1 and :man10:
LTLakerFan

Return to Lakers Discussion