MEDVEDENKO

MEDVEDENKO

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Thu Jun 19, 2003 9:14 pm

I really like this guy. I just want opinions, don't kill me for my thinking. I'm just throwing out some ideas.

Everyone wants Kidd, but in all reality, that probably won't happen. So lets say we lucked out and got Payton. We realistically are done. We will not be able to get a power forward. So what would you think if I said, re-sign Madsen and Horry, and start Medvedenko at the power foward spot. I know you are thinking, he's going to get killed when he sees Duncan & Webber. Yes he will. But picture this:

PAYTON BRYANT SHAQ MEDVEDENKO GEORGE That would be are starting line up. Payton, Kobe & Shaq are going to punk just about everyone they face. Medvedenko has a sweet outside shot and a nice offensive game. So I'm thinking, start him. Let him force the pf's to have to guard that outside shot. Maybe even pick up some fouls cause he goes to the hole well. Medvedenko will only hurt us on defense, but on offense he technically will be a 4th option. Cause Payton, Bryant, & Shaq are going to score and get double teamed, especially when Payton posts pg's. So Medvedenko will always be open. His 15 footer is money in the bank. Then you always have Madsen who always plays hard & Horry to back him up. This will give him confidence, and maybe even motivate him to learn how to play some decent D. Also gives Medvedenko some experience of playing with Kobe, someone he will be seeing a lot of once Shaq is gone. What do you guys think?
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Snakell Beast on Fri Jun 20, 2003 1:00 am

I agree, in fact I did a Power Forward depth chart analysis of our team late in this past season and discoverd that we should have been starting Medvedenko. Slava plays defense as well the average Power Forward in the league, so he isn't THAT far off and I truly think the deficiencies are based on lack of in game experience. Anyone can learn to play solid, respectable defense, especially if they have 4 other players on their starting team that play defense as well as anyone at their respective positions (devean, kobe, GP, Shaq). Slava would definately be a good starter and we can always get a PF through the draft. Our team will get back on top next season, there is almost no way it cannot. Slava will get more PT next year, Phil will want to get a good look at him in his last contract year...I am hoping beyond hope that we keep him...
Snakell Beast

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:45 am

See, I dont understand why eri-1 is always bashin him! He stepped up when players were down, and even blocked a few of Duncan's shots in the SA series, and he even made some J's... He kept us alive in the series, behind Kobe and what was left of Shaq, and he prolonged the inevitable. Our demise was gonna happen sooner or later, but the question was when... I'm just like that some good things came outta that series. Slava shown his capabilities, and he played like he had nothing to lose, which was true, cuz he went down fightin, and I loved the fact that he wasnt reluctant to take those shots he took!
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Fri Jun 20, 2003 3:36 pm

Pretty much what Snakell said. I just feel we are looking at trying to get power forwards when we have one already that has a nice game. Yes, he will hurt us on D a bit, but with what we have offesively including his sweet j and ability to get to the hole, he could be the option we are overlooking. Personally, I hope Phil starts him and lets him learn thru the 82 game season. If we re-sign Horry & Madsen we will be ok at that position even with Medvedenko starting. I really think we should make a run at Gary Payton. If he isn't avail, then go 4 Brown, Malone, or Howard.

I really think Mevedenko starting will work. Especially if we got Gary Payton. The biggest factor there is Payton's ability to post pg's. With Medvedenko left open, his 15 footer is money in the bank. Truthfully we don't need a pf. Just my opinion.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby GuEsT on Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:21 pm

Defense wins championships!!!!Defense is what wins in the playoffs
Nuff Said!!!

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Fri Jun 20, 2003 5:31 pm

Defense does win championships. What I am saying is he is not the greatest defender, but he isn't that bad either. With time and experience he will get better at it. So why not give him a shot now. The Lakers will have enough bodies at that position that they can do very well on pf's, especially since you have to know where Medevedenko is, cause he has a deadly jumper. He also is pretty slick, get to the hole very nicely, probably can pick up some fouls that way, or with experience learn to dish to Shaq or the open man on the way to the hole. I'm looking at it, like other teams look at the Lakers. No one will stop Shaq, just keep enough fouls and bodies on him to make him work all night. The Lakers could do that with Medvedenko, Horry, & Madsen. But back to the point. With Kobe, George, Shaq in the starting line up, there is some D. Also if we were to add Payton, there really is some D. Also adding Payton brings D off the bench, with a healthy Fox, Fisher, Pargo. The only spot we would be weak is pf, but things can be done to make it difficult to take advantage of it. Like pressure from Bryant and Payton, taking up shot clock cause they are abusing the guards. That would make it hard, with not enough time on the clock for any pf to take advantage of Horry, Madsen & Medvedenko.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby Snakell Beast on Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:16 am

Medvedenko has great attributes and some undeveloped aspects to his game.

Defense:
His hands are excellent and while he isn't a great shot blocker he has shown the potential to get to the average level for someone his height. is defensive rebounding is excellent and his defensive footwork is already starter material. He needs to work on keeping his body a little bit farther away so he has more leverage for shot blocks and jumping. He can start for us, because he has actually played better defense many times than Horry, Madsen or Walker and when combined with offense, it is too much to pass up.

Offense:
His driving ability and ball handling are already good and could be even better with experience. He has an amazingly consisten perimeter jumper for his age (24) and his low post shots (touch and finesse) are excellent. He needs to work on using his body more and he needs to bulk up, but even at his current level his offense leaves almost nothing to be desired.

Passing:
His court vision isn't great, but his passing mechanics are starter level. he needs more experience in the triangle, but he has already shown promise on the fast break and his ability to drive in or shoot from the perimeter makes him a double threat when he is on. He needs some development, but he is a sure fire keeper, if we only give him a chance.

All in all, I say we need to get GP, JT, GA or Dre first and draft two PFs and add a solid PF bencher like Popeye jones, and let Slava start. That is definately an option i would consider...if he doesn't develop, we can always add a PF next season with the MLE and draft...sooner or later we will fix our front court issues and we may have had the answer all along...
Snakell Beast

Postby GuEsT on Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:30 am

the problem with him starts with his defense and ends with his shoot first mentality. He doesn't know how to PASS the ball. If he learns to play defense and better shot control then he'd be alright, but its been 4 years or so and he hasn't learned it yet so I dont know..................?

Postby kingjsun on Sun Jun 22, 2003 12:29 pm

I say Medvedenko is a keeper. Imagine if Mad Dog had his jumper :man4:
Buckle up! This off season is going to be some ride...
kingjsun

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Sun Jun 22, 2003 2:00 pm

I have to agree with Snakell, I think we have had the answer all along. I think this guy needs to start, build his confidence defensively and learn to play with Kobe & Shaq in major minutes. I disagree he has a shoot first mentality. But like I've been saying all along, he is deadly from 15-20ft. Adding a point guard like Gary Payton would allow this experiment to happen. I say he needs to get a full 82 game season as a starter under his belt, and people will recognize this guy has a nice game. :jam2:
Lakerfantilidie

Postby triple j on Sun Jun 22, 2003 4:46 pm

first off, "guest"...he's been in the league only two years. second, it's not that he plays bad defense, it's that at times, he is prone to playing not at all. he just gives up. he does have plenty of potential, but he's not utilizing it, and who knows if he ever will. that's the whole reason Jackson has given him so little playing time.
triple j

Postby GuEsT on Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:41 am

triple j slava just finished his 3rd year(not two).His rookie season was in 00-01 season. You said "it's not that he plays bad defense, it's that at times, he is prone to playing not at all." Thats bad defense,Im sorry!!!...So your saying that he just doesn't try???Thats horrible.I'd rather have a guy that sucks at defense but bust his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] every play then a player that has potential but doesn't try....Slava is a bad defensive player(Not to say he cant improve)And yes Slava is a shoot first guy,haven't you watched him?Slava Slava Slava..... :bang:

Postby triple j on Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:47 pm

you say four, i say two...we'll meet somewhere in the middle. in regards to the other part of your post, i'm saying the exactly the same thing you are. we both agree that he plays bad defense, or no defense (which of course is still bad defense), and that he really has no will to improve. stop jumping all over me man, all i'm tring to do is add to your point
triple j

Postby GuEsT on Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:35 pm

Easy guy.Calm down.Nobody is getting all over you.This is just a message board.Were you abused as a little kid or something.Lets talk it out,let your emotions out.....Thats what this board is here for.To have a shoulder to lean on....How did he touch you,Oh is that too much to fast o.k.then just tell the story at your own pace o.k. calm down breathe there you go....Remember your mad at your dad, not me!!!!!!

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:44 pm

This is a factual logical board about sports? Why are ya'll talkin about emotional problems, stick on topic. This is about Slava, so let's just leave it as that, aight? So drop it, and stop gettin personal, it's just a debate. Dayam, it aint nuttin series, just opinions backed by tha facts, ya heard?

Anyway, back on topic... Yea, Slave doesn't really play D, but he really upped his game in the SA series. He packed Duncan a few times, and dayam, Slava kept us alive. He still looks like he's gettin lost out there, but he also has a mean J. But we need a forward with just more than a J, we need him to play that inside game too. But I dont think gettin rid of him will be right yet. I think he can pull through, but I think the Lakers dont wanna give him to time. Dayam..
LakersGyrl2003

Postby Lakerfantilidie on Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:33 pm

Hey listen, my whole point to this is if we got Payton, Slava could start. He isn't that bad on D. No one is arguing that his j is deadly and he gets to the basket well. So all I am saying is if we had a line up of Kobe, Payton, Shaq, George along side him, there is plenty of D on the floor, and help for him. Also if Horry, Madsen were re-signed. He's got help coming off the bench. We would be fine at that position. Phil could afford to make this gamble with Payton on the floor. Let's face it, he will get some stops on defense, so if he trades baskets with some of the elite pf's in the league I don't have a problem with that. This guy will be wide open, he will force those elite pf's to play some D, regardless of what he does on D. This is something we havn't seen from this position in a long time. So why concentrate on getting a pf in Howard, Malone, and Brown. Realistically, we are only going to be able to fix one of our two problem positions, cause of $$$. So with a back court of Bryant & Payton, we get plenty of O & D. Plus if you got two guards like that, they are going to cause teams to be up against the shot clock a lot. So those elite pf's won't have a lot of time to execute, that is why I favor taking care of the pg spot with Payton over the pf position at this time. If we do it this way, and Shaq really does retire when Phil does, Garnett is a reality, then you have Slava backing him up w/4yrs experience and a yr as a starter. He will be more than ready to back up a Garnett. Look, I'm just saying we have the pf answer on our bench, take the gamble and let this guy develope by playing. He needs playing time, and with Payton, we can take that gamble. This also gives us better options at better pf's in fa in the future, should Shaq retire as predicted w/Phil.
Lakerfantilidie

Postby GuEsT on Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:57 pm

I'll just ignore that last comment because the last time I checked I wasn't talking to LakersGyrl2003, so just mind your damn buisness.Who the hell made you message board moderator.Homeboy was acting like I was telling him to go to hell or something.I was just stating my argument just like he was.So you have a choice, take a joke or just ignore the whole damn post....Dont come on here talking about what I can or cant talk about...You aint no one....So accept it and get off my nuts!!!!!!It didn't effect you and It was meant for you so shut the hell up...... :man2:

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:26 am

Look, I don't know where this notion of Slava not playing defense ever emerged. His problem has been struggling to adjust to the Lakers offensive system. He has always been a good defender. He isn't a shot blocker, but neither is Mad Dog or Horry (against taller PFs anyway) but his physicality and his defense are improving, and remember that he has played an aggregate amount of roughly 20 games minute-wise in three seasons with different teams each year, NO ONE can be very consistent or effective with that situation unless they are a superstar or at the very least an all-star. I said all last year that Slava was starting caliber, and loe and behold, the first 35 minutes he gets in the playoffs against the talented Spurs and MVP Tim Duncan and what does he do, he goes for 25 points, 4-5 rebounds, 2-3 blocks, a few steals and a few more deflections on Timmy-D...sounds like the best production from any PF on our roster, and in fact it was...and in about 38 total series minutes...not bad...I don't see any real issues with Slava that won't go away within the first 15-20 games of him getting 15-30 minutes a game...and there is no way to judge that until h gets that opportunity...I think (in the last year of his contract) that if we are going to get rid of him after this season, he deserves at leat a proper 15 minutes a game every game for 70+ games look, then if he still doesn't contribute or play well (I doubt that will happen) then we let him go out into the free agent market...
Snakell Beast

Postby GuEsT on Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:26 am

The part about Slava not playing defense comes from what I see. I have to judge him on what I see not on what I think about him 5 years from now or some more playing time.Im looking at him RIGHT NOW.And as of right now he's not a good defensive player,maybe later with more time and more experience he can improve,but for now......he is a bad defensive player

Postby triple j on Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:26 pm

haha...man, "guest", you are totally misinterpreting the way i'm saying these things. i guess you have to expect that when you can hear tone of voice. for that very reason, i think this will probably be my last post.

let me just end by saying...after much diliberation, i've come to the conclusion that medvedenko really isn't all that great, even if he can shoot better than anyone on our team not named kobe.
triple j

Postby GuEsT on Tue Jun 24, 2003 3:30 pm

"stop jumping all over me man, all i'm tring to do is add to your point" i was just replying to what you said about jumping all over you...Its all good!!!!!!!

Postby Snakell Beast on Tue Jun 24, 2003 9:53 pm

The only game Slava has played where he looked like he was bad on defense was against Yao Ming and other than that I don't recall any bad defense, at least not any worse than Horry, Walker or Madsen...in fact better most of the time...
Snakell Beast

Postby LakersGyrl2003 on Tue Jun 24, 2003 10:13 pm

Thank you... He has room to improve, cuz of his lack of PT. But he's doin the best with that he can do.. I like Slava's game a lot, even though he is kinda slow, but he had that spark in tha SA series, that made me have more faith in him.
LakersGyrl2003

Postby GuEsT on Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:11 am

Hey I'm a Laker 4 life, So lets hope Slava does improve and turn out to be damn good....I'll be the 1st rooting for him.....LAKERS!!!!!!

Return to Lakers Discussion