Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:13 am

nba2k14 wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:Melo has good footwork both on defense & in the post, & is good at creating space for jumpers.. His game is going to age very well I think. The Pierce comparison isn't too far off, but I think Melo has more tools & natural size to help him transition into his 30's.

I heard of this talk from the Pau Gasol crowds and look what happen to the guy.

Yeah, look what happened to him.. He played #2 to Kobe for 3 finals appearances & got us 2 more rings.. That's EXACTLY what I want Melo to do.. I think Melo has a good 6-8 seasons left at a very high level, but that's irrelevant.. It seems like people are under the impression that any max free agent we bring in has to be the heir to the throne & carry the Lakers for a decade+ like Kobe has. Kobe is still here.. We don't need to replace him yet, be patient & wait for the right star.. As long as we don't go crazy overspending for role players, we'll be able to get the guy to take over when the time is right. In the meantime, put another great #2 next to him like Melo & watch us finally pass the C's up & Kobe retire with 7+ rings & possibly the all time scoring leader if he plays 4 more seasons like last season.
lakersin4

Postby charvin on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:08 am

At this point, it's just agree to disagree with nba2k14. He's very much against the Lakers grabbing Melo and nothing's going to change his mind on that.

IMO, I say go with what you can get. If we are able to get Melo, so be it. A fellow poster has noted that Melo relies much less on his athleticism than LeBron does, which could mean that Melo's game stays at a high level much longer than James does (because James has the ability to and likes to drive rather than shoot jumpers, while Melo is polar opposite). Sure, he might cost you a max contract and be a chucker, but as lakersin4 points out, you sort of want anyone that comes in to be the #2 guy because they are under much less pressure to carry the team and more of Kobe's willingness to perform under pressure and not mind carrying the team.
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:23 am

charvin wrote:At this point, it's just agree to disagree with nba2k14. He's very much against the Lakers grabbing Melo and nothing's going to change his mind on that.

IMO, I say go with what you can get. If we are able to get Melo, so be it. A fellow poster has noted that Melo relies much less on his athleticism than LeBron does, which could mean that Melo's game stays at a high level much longer than James does (because James has the ability to and likes to drive rather than shoot jumpers, while Melo is polar opposite). Sure, he might cost you a max contract and be a chucker, but as lakersin4 points out, you sort of want anyone that comes in to be the #2 guy because they are under much less pressure to carry the team and more of Kobe's willingness to perform under pressure and not mind carrying the team.

Not to mention it's just four years. We'll have a limited window here anyway with that type of contract.

In my opinion, you bring in Carmelo if you can because he's the best talent available sans LeBron. If you can bring in both you do that, but you do your damnedest to get at least one of them. Talent wins in the NBA, Mitch knows that and when two guys like this come available, you know he's going to make a run at them if he can.

Imagine being able to grab both of those guys, and then re-signing most of the team we have kind of like Miami did.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:20 am

therealdeal wrote:
charvin wrote:At this point, it's just agree to disagree with nba2k14. He's very much against the Lakers grabbing Melo and nothing's going to change his mind on that.

Not to mention it's just four years. We'll have a limited window here anyway with that type of contract.

In my opinion, you bring in Carmelo if you can because he's the best talent available sans LeBron. If you can bring in both you do that, but you do your damnedest to get at least one of them. Talent wins in the NBA, Mitch knows that and when two guys like this come available, you know he's going to make a run at them if he can.

Imagine being able to grab both of those guys, and then re-signing most of the team we have kind of like Miami did.

Obviously you don't pass it up if you have the chance to sign Bron & Melo, but I'd rather grab 1 of them & then get Durant the following year.. Imagine having either of those big 3's? Just unfair.. Not that Melo & Lebron wouldn't be insane, but I think Durant is the guy best suited to still be here winning rings after Kobe retires. Only an option if we can't get 1 of Melo or Lebron though.. If we can get both, you do it & figure out how to convince Durant to make it a big 4. Lebron & Kobe can play PG by committee.. Throw any C that can protect the rim & rebound next to them & see if we can go 98-0
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:27 am

You're thinking too far ahead and I'll say this: If you have a chance to pair LeBron and Carmelo you do it without question and without looking back. I don't care if the next coming of Wilt is potentially a free agent in a year because you will win a ring or two by pairing LeBron and Carmelo with Kobe and maybe Gasol. It'll happen.

The Lakers have always been about building a team that can win now instead of worrying necessarily about who is coming about in a year or two. Obviously you have your ear to the ground and you plan ahead, but the primary plan is always winning now. That's why fans are so hesitant about this 2014 plan (which was Plan C really if you think about it).

Obviously Durant would be great, but you don't worry about that if you can get LeBron and/or Carmelo. LeBron is the best player in basketball and if you can get him I don't care if you miss out on anyone else in the league next season, you get him. I don't care if it's Kyrie, John Wall, or Kevin Durant.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:16 pm

I actually am not that big on pairing Melo with James given the chance. To me, they take up too similar of a roster spot (PF). I like the pairing of Durant with either of them because Durant's game is a somewhat hybrid of those two with the addition of Ray Allen (running off screens for catch & shoot) and is less reliant on being the ballhandler (from the games I've seen, which quite frankly aren't many).

Ultimately, my question for the pairing of both Melo & James at the end of the day is: Who plays SF and who plays PF? You don't want the other SF to blow by you, but you also want the speed advantage at the PF.
charvin

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:51 pm

therealdeal wrote:You're thinking too far ahead and I'll say this: If you have a chance to pair LeBron and Carmelo you do it without question and without looking back. I don't care if the next coming of Wilt is potentially a free agent in a year because you will win a ring or two by pairing LeBron and Carmelo with Kobe and maybe Gasol. It'll happen.

The Lakers have always been about building a team that can win now instead of worrying necessarily about who is coming about in a year or two. Obviously you have your ear to the ground and you plan ahead, but the primary plan is always winning now. That's why fans are so hesitant about this 2014 plan (which was Plan C really if you think about it).

Obviously Durant would be great, but you don't worry about that if you can get LeBron and/or Carmelo. LeBron is the best player in basketball and if you can get him I don't care if you miss out on anyone else in the league next season, you get him. I don't care if it's Kyrie, John Wall, or Kevin Durant.

Oh I agree completely.. If you can get Melo & Lebron, you do it.. I don't care if Durant flat out says "I'm coming to the Lakers in 2015". Kobe/Lebron/Melo is a guaranteed ring every season they play together. What I was saying is that I think we'd be better off getting 1 of Melo/Lebron & then getting Durant next season. I think if you give Kobe 1 of Melo or Lebron, he wins us a ring this season no matter what. Especially in this situation where Pau might stick around with them.. & Durant has the most basketball left in him by a pretty wide margin I think. By no means am I saying turn down the chance to sign both Melo & Bron to do it though.. Even with Melo & Lebron on max deals we could go after Durant as long as Kobe & all of our role players just sign 1 year deals.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:28 pm

charvin wrote:I actually am not that big on pairing Melo with James given the chance. To me, they take up too similar of a roster spot (PF). I like the pairing of Durant with either of them because Durant's game is a somewhat hybrid of those two with the addition of Ray Allen (running off screens for catch & shoot) and is less reliant on being the ballhandler (from the games I've seen, which quite frankly aren't many).

Ultimately, my question for the pairing of both Melo & James at the end of the day is: Who plays SF and who plays PF? You don't want the other SF to blow by you, but you also want the speed advantage at the PF.

Carmelo is a SF.

PG- Who cares
SG- Kobe
SF- Carmelo
PF- LeBron
C- Gasol?

That's how it would work and it'd work beautifully as long as the three were willing to play together. And I have no doubt that those three have enough respect for each other/the game that they'd be willing to try. At least more than Howard. :man10:

But that's a different conversation I suppose... This thread is about Carmelo...

I want him in LA if we can get him. I think having Kobe and Carmelo is extremely attractive to free agent prospects. Coupled with it being LA and the Lakers... I think we'd see some good things.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:29 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
therealdeal wrote:You're thinking too far ahead and I'll say this: If you have a chance to pair LeBron and Carmelo you do it without question and without looking back. I don't care if the next coming of Wilt is potentially a free agent in a year because you will win a ring or two by pairing LeBron and Carmelo with Kobe and maybe Gasol. It'll happen.

Oh I agree completely.. If you can get Melo & Lebron, you do it.. I don't care if Durant flat out says "I'm coming to the Lakers in 2015". Kobe/Lebron/Melo is a guaranteed ring every season they play together. What I was saying is that I think we'd be better off getting 1 of Melo/Lebron & then getting Durant next season. I think if you give Kobe 1 of Melo or Lebron, he wins us a ring this season no matter what. Especially in this situation where Pau might stick around with them.. & Durant has the most basketball left in him by a pretty wide margin I think. By no means am I saying turn down the chance to sign both Melo & Bron to do it though.. Even with Melo & Lebron on max deals we could go after Durant as long as Kobe & all of our role players just sign 1 year deals.

Then we're agreed. :beer:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby nba2k14 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:38 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
nba2k14 wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:Melo has good footwork both on defense & in the post, & is good at creating space for jumpers.. His game is going to age very well I think. The Pierce comparison isn't too far off, but I think Melo has more tools & natural size to help him transition into his 30's.

Yeah, look what happened to him.. He played #2 to Kobe for 3 finals appearances & got us 2 more rings.. That's EXACTLY what I want Melo to do.. I think Melo has a good 6-8 seasons left at a very high level, but that's irrelevant.. It seems like people are under the impression that any max free agent we bring in has to be the heir to the throne & carry the Lakers for a decade+ like Kobe has. Kobe is still here.. We don't need to replace him yet, be patient & wait for the right star.. As long as we don't go crazy overspending for role players, we'll be able to get the guy to take over when the time is right. In the meantime, put another great #2 next to him like Melo & watch us finally pass the C's up & Kobe retire with 7+ rings & possibly the all time scoring leader if he plays 4 more seasons like last season.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but Pau sign that MAX extension and it kicks in when he was 30 in year 2011 where a huge decline in his game is obvious. From there on, Pau was never the same player physically and mentally.

In this athletic league, you need to play defense to win championship, especially at the wing. Neither Kobe nor Carmelo is going to put focus in that area. One approaching past 35 and one approaching 30s.

Mark my words, Carmelo will be a victim of father time. I envision him dropping out of Top 10 in his 30s rather easily.
nba2k14

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:07 pm

nba2k14 wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
nba2k14 wrote:

I'm sorry to disappoint you but Pau sign that MAX extension and it kicks in when he was 30 in year 2011 where a huge decline in his game is obvious. From there on, Pau was never the same player physically and mentally.

In this athletic league, you need to play defense to win championship, especially at the wing. Neither Kobe nor Carmelo is going to put focus in that area. One approaching past 35 and one approaching 30s.

Mark my words, Carmelo will be a victim of father time. I envision him dropping out of Top 10 in his 30s rather easily.

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about when Pau got his latest contract.. I thought you meant when we got Pau.. Melo is much closer to the player Pau was when we traded for him than 2011 Pau in my opinion.
lakersin4

Postby halekulani on Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:25 pm

melo would be terrible for the lakers
halekulani

Postby HighlyFavored on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Dwyane Wade posted this on his instagram 2 days ago with the caption: "That was fun!!!"

HighlyFavored

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:13 pm

HighlyFavored wrote:Dwyane Wade posted this on his instagram 2 days ago with the caption: "That was fun!!!"

Oh see we had it all wrong, it's Wade and LeBron, not Carmelo and LeBron. :man10:
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby last stand on Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:50 pm

Lol or Kobe to the heat
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby The Rock on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Hope the Knicks implode

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:56 pm

last stand wrote:Lol or Kobe to the heat

I'm sure that's what Wade is trying to hint at with that.. He knows him & Bosh aren't enough to make the Heat the best situation for Bron for much longer. If you can convince another star to come join them, you avoid Bron leaving. Kobe wouldn't do that in a million years. He'd try to win a ring with Smush & Kwame again before he joined the superfriends. I also don't want Wade on a max contract.. He looks like he's going to turn into an overpaid role player in the very near future. I think he's one of few stars that Kobe actually wouldn't work with.. Lebron, Melo, Durant, CP3, TP or bigs like Love, LMA, Dirk, Duncan.. I think Kobe would fit great with all of those guys.. I think Wade & Harden are the only stars that wouldn't work with Kobe.
lakersin4

Postby GoldenKnight on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:00 pm

Carmelo has been my favorite player after Kobe ever since he entered the league in 03. I know he wants to win as much as the next guy & if NY won't give him the roster what better place to win than here in L.A? He's not afraid of the spotlight already playing in NY & he & his wife (Hollywood :man1: ) would be marketed pretty well here around here too. I know he & Kobe are always the 2 that hang the most during the Team USA tournaments, you always see them together & they have mentioned how close they are. Carmelo is the best pure scorer in the NBA in my opinion (yes better than KD) due to his outside scoring & his play in the post. He lacks some defense at times, yes...but that doesn't stop him from being the effective player that he is. His mentality is great & having someone like Kobe can only make him better. I'm all in for Carmelo, I really would not feel comfortable having James winning here. Carmelo is the most probable to come here anyway...

CHECK OUT MY DESIGNS ON FB/INSTAGRAM/TWITTER: @GoldenKnightGFX
GoldenKnight

Postby 432J on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:07 pm

kobe to the heat?
:man10:

it'll never happen but if it did for some reason, that'll be the day i completely stop following basketball
432J

Postby wcsoldier81 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:48 am

Perfect pipe dream plan is Lebron in Summer 2014 then KD in Summer 2016
wcsoldier81

Postby nba2k14 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:51 pm

lakersin4 wrote:
nba2k14 wrote:
lakersin4 wrote:
nba2k14 wrote:

Oh sorry, I didn't realize you were talking about when Pau got his latest contract.. I thought you meant when we got Pau.. Melo is much closer to the player Pau was when we traded for him than 2011 Pau in my opinion.

I hate to break the bad news to you again, but father time is really tough to overcome for limited or one-dimensional player. Everything from physical, speed, athleticism, and even reaction time is declining once you approach that mileage meter. It's even harder to overcome nagging injuries that will pop up. How Melo will play depend on how well he works on his conditioning. So far, information is he doesn't put much value into that. His body is going to balloon quickly and worn out fast if he doesn't start putting hard working in transcending himself into a slow PF which he will be in his 30s. At least with Pau, he's a 7-footer, who can affect shot by raising his hand up. Despite that, you can see Pau body is deteriorating from his '09 day. It's like night and day.

Very few players can have the same effective in their late 20s. Even MJ at 30s isn't the same player he was pre-retirement. Same with Kobe. Nobody beats father-time, period.
nba2k14

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:12 am

I think it's pretty crazy to label Melo as 1 dimensional.. If anything, his footwork in the post & on the perimeter that allows him to create such easy shots should make his game translate about as well as you can ask for from a star player.. He never relied his his athleticism like Lebron, or even like young Kobe.. There's nothing about Melo's game that says he's going to see a huge decline with age. Pau is a 7 footer that was banging in the post for us to get to those 3 finals.. I can see how someone could make an argument against Melo, but concerns of his game aging badly certainly isn't it.
lakersin4

Postby wcsoldier81 on Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:14 am

Concerns are about prime Melo's game , not how he's going to age ... He can score in many ways but that's it ... defense , playmaking abilities and intangibles aren't there
wcsoldier81

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:09 am

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/9484776/los-angeles-lakers-eye-carmelo-anthony-lebron-james-2014

The Los Angeles Lakers, whose plan to re-sign center Dwight Howard did not pan out this offseason, are poised to rebuild fast by focusing on the two biggest free agents of 2014 -- LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony, front-office sources have told ESPN.

[+] EnlargeLeBron James and Carmelo Anthony
Nathaniel S. Butler/Getty Images
The Lakers would be able to immediately rebuild by adding LeBron James, left, and Carmelo Anthony in the same free-agent haul in 2014.
Opinions are split on whether the Lakers can actually land James or Anthony, with one source calling it "realistic" and another saying it was "far-fetched at this point." Nonetheless, the Lakers have made it clear they are positioning themselves for a run at one and perhaps even two of the superstars who could become free agents in 2014 by refusing to commit to any contract past this next season, multiple sources have said.

Dwyane Wade, Amare Stoudemire and Chris Bosh also have early-termination options on the five-year deals they signed in the summer of 2010. Luol Deng, Danny Granger, Andrew Bogut and Dirk Nowitzki will be unrestricted free agents next summer.

James, of course, is the biggest prize. But unlike in 2009, when James' free-agency options the following summer were on his mind, sources have told ESPN that James isn't even considering his 2014 decision yet.

"It's all wishful thinking at this point," a league source with knowledge of the situation told ESPN. "Teams are doing more wishing than LeBron is wanting right now.

"It's not about where LeBron wants to go [to win]. He already has two rings. If LeBron moved to Reno, teams would come to him."

Anthony's plans also remain unclear for next summer, but one source close to the situation told ESPN that it would "make sense" for him to exercise the early-termination option on his contract after next season to become a free agent and secure either a four- or five-year extension.

Basking in the glow of a second title, James recently completed a Nike camp in Las Vegas and has a promotional tour planned to the Philippines and China. Then he will turn his focus to his wedding, which is planned for September in San Diego.

More on the Lakers

For more news, notes and analysis of the Lakers, check out the Lakers Index. Blog

James likely will not seriously look at his choices until the end of next season. At that time, he is expected to use the same guiding principles as he did back in 2010: the talent on the prospective rosters and the chances they can lead to multiple chances at championships. Three years ago, teams chasing James like the New York Knicks and the then-New Jersey Nets were pitching the idea of pairing him with a second star.

The Heat ultimately won James' services largely because they were the only team that was able to put him next to two stars with Wade and Bosh. James likely would be looking for a similar set of circumstances, which is why he's currently happy in Miami.

That makes it a challenge to handicap the Lakers' chances because their roster after this season is mostly a blank slate at this point. There's nothing to sell to James yet. Not even Kobe Bryant, who is in the final year of his contract, is guaranteed to be in the fold.

Bryant told ESPN last week that said that he wants to play at least two or three more seasons, but since there have not yet been any extension talks with the Lakers as he recovers from a ruptured Achilles tendon, it's pointless to talk about what he'd be willing to play for.

Bryant will be the highest-paid player in the league next season with a $30.5 million salary. For the Lakers to maintain enough room to pursue two max-level free agents, he'd need to play for quite a bit less.

"As a businessman the goal is always to not take a pay cut," Bryant said. "But ..."

Bryant told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Dave McMenamin last week that he intends to be involved in the Lakers' recruiting efforts for 2014 and is looped into the team's decision-making.

"It's an open conversation, via text and also meeting in person and just picking up the phone and calling," Bryant said of his involvement. "They've kept me in the loop pretty well."

If Howard had re-signed with the Lakers, the team would have had room to make a run at only one player next summer and sign him to a maximum-level contract. Now that he's gone, the Lakers have only Steve Nash ($9.7 million) and Robert Sacre ($915,243) on the books for 2014-15, leaving them with enough space to make a run at two max-level players.

The new collective bargaining agreement would allow the Lakers to waive Nash in the final year of his contract and "stretch" that $9.7 million out over three years, meaning only $3.2 million would count against their 2014-15 salary cap. So even if Bryant extends his contract for another couple of seasons, at between $10-15 million per season, the Lakers still theoretically would have enough room to pursue two max-level players.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby kenzo on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:15 am

We better have a "plan B" for 2014 :man9: James is a pipe and Melo is a longshot.
kenzo

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion