Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:05 am

The reason my #1 & #2 plans are Paul George & Melo is simple: I'm not going to underestimate Pat Riley.. If he doesn't believe they'll win this season with Wade or Bosh & there's a move out there to make them better, he'll make it.. He'll break up the big 3 in a second if that's what gives them the best chance to continue winnings rings, & I believe Lebron has this same faith in him. Miami can also create a ton of cap space next summer & I wouldn't rule out Riley having some crazy plans in place to go after these same elite free agents we're gunning for. Melo or George taking Wade's place? Sign another star & get Dirk to ringchase? They have the best player in the league & if he stays with them, they have the best chance at every available player.

You have an Indiana franchise that's been the #2 or 3 team for 2 seasons in the East & is losing money.. Ownership that refuses to go over the tax line & a core they can't keep together if they give the max to Paul George. They're going to have to let Granger & possibly Stephenson walk to keep George. We're in much better position to steal PG than Lebron.

Same with Melo.. While the Knicks would certainly spend whatever it takes to win, they've went out & committed a ton of money to Amare, Chandler, & now Bargs. They brought JR Smith back on a reasonable deal but he's still a problem, because you don't win anything with him as your 2nd option. Outside of a late 1st round pick becoming a top 10 player they have no chance at contending. I think Melo is as good as ours if Kobe helps us recruit him.
lakersin4

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:02 am

George's future with Pacers
July, 23, 2013
JUL 23
9:22
AM ET
By Nick Borges | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND1TWEET0COMMENTS1EMAILPRINT
Paul George is entering his fourth season in the NBA and he's eligible to sign an extension with the Indiana Pacers up to the Oct. 31 deadline. He will be a restricted free agent in 2014 should he not sign a new deal. There has been some chatter about him returning to Los Angeles to play for the Lakers, but that's not part of his plans.

"I'm happy, man. I'm happy in Indiana. It's overwhelming (to hear) that they would want a player like me to come play for their team. But right now I'm focused on Indiana," George told ESPN.com's Marc Stein. "I'm happy to be in Indiana. Our future is bright in Indiana. I wouldn't want to leave something great."

Stein reports the Pacers and George's agent have begun negotiations regarding the extension and a source says it's a "foregone conclusion" the deal will be max contract.

"It's no rush," George said Monday. "Me and the front office ... we're on the same page."
Tags:Indiana Pacers, Paul George
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakerfan2 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:42 am

I don't get why George is even being discussed, yeah he wants to play here, who doesn...nevermind. Indiana is not letting him go.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:10 am

lakerfan2 wrote:I don't get why George is even being discussed, yeah he wants to play here, who doesn...nevermind. Indiana is not letting him go.

When has a rookie scale player coming into his 2nd deal in the League turned down a max extension?

Guys like George, Irving, etc., will be available to us when they become UFA after their second deal.

RFA + Max Player = Not going anywhere
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby D.B. Cooper on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:22 am

Doc Brown wrote:RFA + Max Player = Not going anywhere

Only if you're a D. Coward
D.B. Cooper

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 am

D.B. Cooper wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:RFA + Max Player = Not going anywhere

Only if you're a D. Coward

Even Dwight couldn't leave after a RFA. The original team has the ability to match any offer. It'd be like if the Rockets signed Dwight, but the Lakers matched the offer and he ended up HAVING to be in LA.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:28 am

Does the CP3 rule only apply to their team or can they get that bigger deal still if they leave?
lakersin4

Postby Center Court on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:54 am

therealdeal wrote:I don't know how many times I've had to say this, but there's plenty of time before next summer. If Miami struggles and Wade dissolves like he should any day now, why should LeBron stay in Miami for the prime of his career? To play with a bunch of run down vets and Bosh?

If the Lakers can build the team they're dreaming of, it is not crazy to think LeBron wouldn't look at Los Angeles. It's the best city to play in (outside of maybe New York), it's the best organization to play for, and if they sign Carmelo and re-sign Kobe/Gasol with enough room for LeBron to sign, then how could anyone just dismiss that team without thinking about it? Doesn't make sense.

Miami is going to have cap space as well. They could go after Hibbert, Gasol, Randolph, Rondo, Love in 2015 So while we can put together an enticing team, so can Miami. And they can do it with out all the drama that joining the Lakers would bring to LeBron.
Center Court

Postby therealdeal on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:18 am

Center Court wrote:
therealdeal wrote:I don't know how many times I've had to say this, but there's plenty of time before next summer. If Miami struggles and Wade dissolves like he should any day now, why should LeBron stay in Miami for the prime of his career? To play with a bunch of run down vets and Bosh?

If the Lakers can build the team they're dreaming of, it is not crazy to think LeBron wouldn't look at Los Angeles. It's the best city to play in (outside of maybe New York), it's the best organization to play for, and if they sign Carmelo and re-sign Kobe/Gasol with enough room for LeBron to sign, then how could anyone just dismiss that team without thinking about it? Doesn't make sense.

Miami is going to have cap space as well. They could go after Hibbert, Gasol, Randolph, Rondo, Love in 2015 So while we can put together an enticing team, so can Miami. And they can do it with out all the drama that joining the Lakers would bring to LeBron.

Emphasis on 2015 and not 2014. LeBron would rebuild faster and easier with Los Angeles than with Miami (obviously still assuming Wade falls apart and Carmelo signs two big ifs).
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby HighlyFavored on Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:33 am

Welp. Lock this thread.

Dear Los Angeles Lakers fans,

We're sorry to inform you ... it doesn't seem very likely Carmelo Anthony will be dishing to Kobe Bryant any time soon, despite reports to the contrary.

Anthony was leaving Craig's in Hollywood this week when we asked straight up if he could see himself in purple and gold after his contract with the Knicks runs out.

CA's response? "Ummmmm, I doubt it."

Carmelo teased us a little bit ... saying he owns purple and gold shoes -- but made it pretty clear he has no plans to wear them on the hardwood.

Anthony also told TMZ ... he's NOT secretly plotting with LeBron James to join the same NBA squad ... though he admits, they're pretty damn good when they play together.

Still, don't count out the Lakers entirely ... 'cause when the time comes, you can bet L.A. will bust out the checkbook -- and nothing changes a mind like a couple of zeros.

Stay tuned ...

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/24/carmelo-a ... z2ZwiXdiep
Visit Fishwrapper: http://www.fishwrapper.com

http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/24/carmelo-anthony-lakers-lebron-james/
HighlyFavored

Postby laker911 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:04 am

HighlyFavored wrote:Welp. Lock this thread.

Dear Los Angeles Lakers fans,

We're sorry to inform you ... it doesn't seem very likely Carmelo Anthony will be dishing to Kobe Bryant any time soon, despite reports to the contrary.

Anthony was leaving Craig's in Hollywood this week when we asked straight up if he could see himself in purple and gold after his contract with the Knicks runs out.

CA's response? "Ummmmm, I doubt it."

Carmelo teased us a little bit ... saying he owns purple and gold shoes -- but made it pretty clear he has no plans to wear them on the hardwood.

Anthony also told TMZ ... he's NOT secretly plotting with LeBron James to join the same NBA squad ... though he admits, they're pretty damn good when they play together.

Still, don't count out the Lakers entirely ... 'cause when the time comes, you can bet L.A. will bust out the checkbook -- and nothing changes a mind like a couple of zeros.

Stay tuned ...

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/24/carmelo-a ... z2ZwiXdiep
Visit Fishwrapper: http://www.fishwrapper.com

http://www.tmz.com/2013/07/24/carmelo-anthony-lakers-lebron-james/

Yeah because NBA players never change their mind especially after a year. :man10:
laker911

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 am

TMZ is very reputable. :man12:
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby lAKERfaNaticKID on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:00 am

I have a feeling this threat is gonna reach 200+ pages
lAKERfaNaticKID

Postby lakersin4 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:31 am

No player is going to come out & say he might leave when he has a whole season yet to play as the leader of a team that's considered a contender.. Come on.. Well, unless it's Coward, but that's different.
lakersin4

Postby therealdeal on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:31 am

Watch the actual video or listen to the audio. Willard (who I hate) played it on ESPN 710 and NO WHERE does he say he either is or isn't coming to Los Angeles. All he says is "don't count on it" or something along those lines.

Which is the obvious response when you're ALREADY WITH ANOTHER TEAM.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:42 am

Melo would be doing US a favor if he stayed in NY.
khmrP

Postby dj vitus on Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:27 pm

The New Lakers: where superstars say NO and vet minimum players say YES. :man11:
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby Battle Tested20 on Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:52 pm

dj vitus wrote:The New Lakers: where superstars say NO and vet minimum players say YES. :man11:

:man10:
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby revgen on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:05 pm

Melo will be 30 years old when/if he arrives here.

I'd rather rebuild than go that route.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Phil XI on Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:59 pm

Craigs. Hell no. Don't want you now. If it was Pinks or Tito's or El Tep or such he'd be welcome!
Get 17!!
Phil XI

Location: Thanks Ron for Gm7! You'll always be a Laker Legend!

Postby Center Court on Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:53 am

I hate to bring this up, but I think losing Dwight is a much bigger loss than people give credit it to.

We should easily have a championship rosterthis year if we signed Phil. Dwight stays, Phil makes Kobe/Dwight and Twin Towers work while also finding a better role for Nash.

If every went the way it did we would have seen Phil coach a stud roster to a ring. Re-up Kobe and Pau and go for another shot. Then in 2015, pair Dwight with Love and Rondo and build around that.

The only way to completely upstage Dwight leaving i to sign Bron or Bron and Melo. I'm not sure Melo is enough to pick up the pieces Dwight left when he walked.

George and Wall are 100% getting extended to MAX deals. Cousins seems to have gained support from this new ownership so I'm assuming he;s getting paid too.

2014 is going to be a bust. Big bust.
Center Court

Postby DB24 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:54 pm

No love for Kevin Love?
DB24

Postby Ariza3 on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:10 pm

i can see melo going to miami and them getting rid of bosh. wade/melo/lbj at 2-4 then just a ton of cheap role players. prob another 2 rings out of that new big 3
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:27 pm

Ariza3 wrote:i can see melo going to miami and them getting rid of bosh. wade/melo/lbj at 2-4 then just a ton of cheap role players. prob another 2 rings out of that new big 3

For that to happen they'd have to:
1. Trade Bosh for a TPE. Good luck, Bosh has 2 years/42 million dollars left on the table.
2. Not re-sign at least 2-3 of Chalmers, Battier, Allen, Anderson, and James Jones.
3. Convince Haslem and Anthony to opt out of their contracts.
4. Convince Wade to opt out of his contract.

I think the biggest problem is Bosh. If they can't find takers for Bosh, they're not going to be able to build an effective team moving forward.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:32 pm

Center Court wrote:I hate to bring this up, but I think losing Dwight is a much bigger loss than people give credit it to.

We should easily have a championship rosterthis year if we signed Phil. Dwight stays, Phil makes Kobe/Dwight and Twin Towers work while also finding a better role for Nash.

If every went the way it did we would have seen Phil coach a stud roster to a ring. Re-up Kobe and Pau and go for another shot. Then in 2015, pair Dwight with Love and Rondo and build around that.

The only way to completely upstage Dwight leaving i to sign Bron or Bron and Melo. I'm not sure Melo is enough to pick up the pieces Dwight left when he walked.

George and Wall are 100% getting extended to MAX deals. Cousins seems to have gained support from this new ownership so I'm assuming he;s getting paid too.

2014 is going to be a bust. Big bust.

I agree with this 100%. People like Melo are going to be 30 or so when we can sign them. Do we want another player in their 30's taking up half our cap space? We need to draft well...wait...we have no draft picks except for this season? Well, lets make sure we aren't too good so we get a good pick. Wait...we can't put a horrible roster out there because Kobe might get mad? So let's put out a mediocre roster to keep from getting a lottery pick and instead draft in no man's land. 2014 is a pipe dream. 2015 is a little more realistic, but even if everything goes perfect and we sign Aldridge, Love AND Rondo somehow, is that enough to win it all with the Band of Merry Minimums that would surround them?
Savory Griddles

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion