Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby Dfishman on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:31 pm

You realize, if we sign Melo to a max deal, that's $26.8M in 2018. It's only worth it if it gets LeBron here. Otherwise, NO THANKS!
Dfishman

Postby JSM on Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:35 pm

Eric Pincus of the LA Times wrote:The Lakers will be shopping for at least one top free agent next summer. One of the targets could be New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony, who is expected to opt out of his contract after next season.

In a video posted by TMZ, Anthony answered a few questions on the subject while waiting for his vehicle at a valet.

"I doubt it," Anthony said when asked if he could see himself in a purple and gold "outfit" (the Lakers' colors).

The All-Star forward did admit to having a pair of purple and gold shoes.

On the notion of Anthony joining up with LeBron James (also a potential free agent) on a super team, perhaps in Los Angeles, Anthony discounted he's had conversations with James about the idea.

"I don't have them conversations," he said.

Anthony can re-sign with the Knicks, or another team, on a multi-year deal -- probably making the $23.4 million he'd leave behind by opting out the right decision financially.

The New York forward will be eligible to stay with the Knicks for up to $130.9 million over five years, or leave for another team for four years at $97.2 million.
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby noobiew on Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:17 pm

JSM wrote:
Eric Pincus of the LA Times wrote:
The New York forward will be eligible to stay with the Knicks for up to $130.9 million over five years, or leave for another team for four years at $97.2 million.

LOL at the bold part, if we really wanted Melo so badly we should have traded Bynum for him back in 2010 when we had the chance while Melo was in his prime 26 year-old back then.

But a long term 100 millions contract salary for a 31 year-old Melo is just too expensive, it's not a smart move and I'll pass
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby kobe_008 on Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:19 pm

Not sure when this two guys become free agent but i'd rather pick them than established stars like LBJ and Melo

Kyrie Irving
Anthony Davis
kobe_008

Postby Battle Tested20 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:28 pm

kobe_008 wrote:Not sure when this two guys become free agent but i'd rather pick them than established stars like LBJ and Melo

Kyrie Irving
Anthony Davis

Both, especially Davis will be a while unroll we can sign any of them outright and for their teams not able to match. In other words, unless its a trade there is no way we get any of those two for another 2-3 years.
"I just put my faith in God. Through him we can do all things"
- Kobe Bryant, March 24, 2004
Battle Tested20

Postby Doc Brown on Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:49 am

Kyrie has this season + next year's team option on his contract before he's got that QO. That's 7 years before we have a chance to get him, assuming he signs the max length.

Davis has this season + two more at a team option before he's got that QO. That's 8 years before we have a chance to get him, assuming he signs the max length.

When are we going to move on from this and talk about who we can realistically get?
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby charvin on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:19 am

Doc Brown wrote:Kyrie has this season + next year's team option on his contract before he's got that QO. That's 7 years before we have a chance to get him, assuming he signs the max length.

Davis has this season + two more at a team option before he's got that QO. That's 8 years before we have a chance to get him, assuming he signs the max length.

When are we going to move on from this and talk about who we can realistically get?

I think you might have to pardon those who don't really read too much into how this new CBA is structured (me included). To my understanding for this new CBA, it's designated to give teams the chance to maintain a star player for roughly 6-7 years. Meanwhile, average fans probably think their team has a shot at any up-and-coming star after their rookie contract, but neglect to understand that the player will still be a RFA and probably think that the player will have as good a chance as any UFA to sign anywhere they please. Just my thoughts.
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:26 am

^ The new CBA is designed to try to keep teams like Los Angeles and Miami from making the free agent splashes that they've made. It was/is supposed to create parity across the league so that no one team can be the Lakers.

Restricted Free Agency is just another part of that.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:36 am

Dfishman wrote:You realize, if we sign Melo to a max deal, that's $26.8M in 2018. It's only worth it if it gets LeBron here. Otherwise, NO THANKS!

If we outright sign Melo to a max deal instead of getting him in a S&T, we can only give him a 4 year deal starting at 19.1M. Thats a rough number since next years cap numbers aren't out yet, but the max for players with 10+ years in the league has been 19.1M each of the last 2 seasons.
lakersin4

Postby charvin on Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:13 pm

therealdeal wrote:^ The new CBA is designed to try to keep teams like Los Angeles and Miami from making the free agent splashes that they've made. It was/is supposed to create parity across the league so that no one team can be the Lakers.

Mmhmm. The tax is so steep that even these teams have to go out of their way to avoid it now, unless of course, you're Mikhail Prokhorov, who's willing to pay something along the lines of ~85 million this year.
charvin

Postby Alleyhoops on Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:43 pm

I just want us to position ourselves to be able to make a run at Lillard. He's the guy I want.
Alleyhoops

Postby charvin on Sun Jul 28, 2013 10:33 pm

Lillard will be what, available next decade? Unless he stinks up the joint these next 3-4 years, as another rookie on his rookie contract, he'll be unavailable.
charvin

Postby V.V.V.V.V. on Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:23 pm

The good news about the new CBA is that it's too restrictive.

It's forcing the medium and small market teams to downsize and go back to mediocrity. OKC and Memphis are the current casualties, but I foresee Indiana unable to pay their loaded roster a few years down the line, and the same will be true of any other team that tries to raise themselves up.

Why is this good?

First, these teams will be jettisoning their secondary or tertiary stars for a luxury tax break, and the Lakers will be able to get some of them in trade.

Second, and more importantly, is that the GMs that complained to the point of forcing this restrictive CBA will do an about-face and complain that it's too restrictive. I wager that in a few years, when there's an opportunity to change the new CBA, it will be done. It's too restrictive for everyone, and while the Lakers are having a hard time rebuilding, so is everyone else. I think it was after 5 years, there's an option to rewrite the CBA if the league hates it. That's 3 years into the future.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
V.V.V.V.V.

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:09 am

Alleyhoops wrote:I just want us to position ourselves to be able to make a run at Lillard. He's the guy I want.

Is this a joke?

This thread is for 2014, not 2021-2022.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:06 am

charvin wrote:
therealdeal wrote:^ The new CBA is designed to try to keep teams like Los Angeles and Miami from making the free agent splashes that they've made. It was/is supposed to create parity across the league so that no one team can be the Lakers.

Mmhmm. The tax is so steep that even these teams have to go out of their way to avoid it now, unless of course, you're Mikhail Prokhorov, who's willing to pay something along the lines of ~85 million this year.

Well Prokhorov and his dirty money will basically do anything it takes to win. Unfortunately they don't actually understand what it takes to win, so they're making all of these ridiculous moves...

If this new experiment doesn't work out for them, they're going to be stuck there for two years while Deron Williams wastes away and Joe Johnson continues working his way towards mediocrity. Then they'll have nothing but aging stars, Brook Lopez's still questionable feet, and no draft picks.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby Savory Griddles on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:17 am

therealdeal wrote:
charvin wrote:

Well Prokhorov and his dirty money will basically do anything it takes to win. Unfortunately they don't actually understand what it takes to win, so they're making all of these ridiculous moves...

If this new experiment doesn't work out for them, they're going to be stuck there for two years while Deron Williams wastes away and Joe Johnson continues working his way towards mediocrity. Then they'll have nothing but aging stars, Brook Lopez's still questionable feet, and no draft picks.

The scary part for us though, is if we strike out in 2014 and 2015 on free agents, we will be just like the Nets with players like Kobe and Gasol spiraling into mediocrity and NO draft picks due to the Nash and Howard deals.
Savory Griddles

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:28 am

Even if we "strike out" on the big name free agents coming up, we'll HAVE to use that money somewhere so we'll likely still find better prospects out there then the Nets.

We'll be more like the Mavericks actually.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:51 am

V.V.V.V.V. wrote:The good news about the new CBA is that it's too restrictive.

It's forcing the medium and small market teams to downsize and go back to mediocrity. OKC and Memphis are the current casualties, but I foresee Indiana unable to pay their loaded roster a few years down the line, and the same will be true of any other team that tries to raise themselves up.

Why is this good?

First, these teams will be jettisoning their secondary or tertiary stars for a luxury tax break, and the Lakers will be able to get some of them in trade.

Second, and more importantly, is that the GMs that complained to the point of forcing this restrictive CBA will do an about-face and complain that it's too restrictive. I wager that in a few years, when there's an opportunity to change the new CBA, it will be done. It's too restrictive for everyone, and while the Lakers are having a hard time rebuilding, so is everyone else. I think it was after 5 years, there's an option to rewrite the CBA if the league hates it. That's 3 years into the future.

It's restrictive, but I see it hurts the big spending teams more. They noticed the trending of Big 3 when Boston sorta started it in 2007, and while they're forced to jettison their tertiary stars, it levels the playing field in that even the big spending teams can't afford to do this over a long period of time. Big revenue teams can still afford to go over the tax, but now only at a much smaller amount which, IMO, would be 5-15 million over the threshold because of the big repeater tax penalty.

Of course, this CBA also allows the small teams to keep their stars for a much longer period of time. So, even if they are to sign with another team when they reach UFA status, they're already in their prime and commanding near max salary.
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:58 am

^ The problem is that big spending teams can handle that hit easier and longer than those small city teams.

For instance: the Lakers have paid dearly for the last two years and that is really going to be shrugged off this season. And that was for two simple playoff teams (although this last team SHOULD have been better than that). For a true contender the Lakers will pay through the nose for probably 3-5 years.

Meanwhile teams like Indiana, Oklahoma City, and even Miami are limited by this new CBA to windows of maybe 1-3 years because their teams won't take that luxury tax hit. Their teams can't afford to be tax payers for long if at all and they're forced to make moves that make their teams worse.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby charvin on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:03 pm

Interesting train of thought, you don't think Miami is willing to take the hit? Frankly asking, which "big city" teams do you think are willing to continue to be big spenders?
charvin

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:39 pm

I think Miami is willing to take a hit, but not necessarily a big one.

The Lakers will pay. The Knicks would pay. The Nets are obviously okay with paying. I think the Celtics would pay for a Championship team. Maybe the Bulls, but that's iffy. Basically all the same players as before.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:54 pm

"You have to look beyond next year. You can't say we have all this flexibility and we're going to use it all next year," Kupchak said. "You don't know if you're going to use it for a free agent or a trade or to sign back Pau or Kobe. We're in the position where we can sit down at the end of the year and look and see what's best for the organization. We're in control, so to speak."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-mitch-kupchak-20130730,0,7009896,full.story#axzz2aT2nuZYP

Mitch doesn't seem too enthused with Jimbo's 2014 plan. :man10:

And I don't blame him. K-Love, Aldridge, and Rondo seem more attractive than Melo.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby therealdeal on Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:59 pm

1. Jimbo's plan? Ridiculous. Nobody said this was only Jim Buss's plan.

2. Mitch Kupchak is famous for his lies of omission. He didn't say either yes OR no to signing LeBron and Carmelo. I'm sure if that's something the team is capable of, they will do it without question. If not, then they'll do what everyone has already suggested: sign the best we can, then give guys like Kobe/Gasol larger short-term deals which will give us flexibility again in 2015.

Nothing new here.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby revgen on Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:47 pm

1) I say it is.

2) Kupchak is famous for being patient and thinking long-term. Obviously, the Lakers will look at what to do in 2014 and 2015. However, Mitch seems to favor 2015's possibilities more than 2014, since the players are younger and offer a chance to build a team that can compete now and into the future.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:36 pm

If I'm being completely honest, I think Ramona dropping that whole Melo and Bron as targets is some PR cover from the front office (let's be real - Jim) as a way to cover themselves after losing Dwight. I don't think they really believe that they can pull it off. Maybe they hope so, but I think it's incredibly long shot type thinking. Realistically, the 2015 agents look more likely. Personally I'd like to get Melo, but I don't see him leaving NY which was always his preferred destination. I don't see Bronze coming here at all.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion