Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby Rooscooter on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:48 pm

The Rock wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:I'll think of Melo as a 20 million dollar a year "name" that can only do one thing inefficiently and nothing else consistently.


And I'd add a chickens**t coward to boot..... His punch and run on Mardy Collins was just about the biggest cheap shot I've ever seen in organized sport. At least Artest was beating up people that weren't being held....

If you're going to enter a fight then enter it.... don't punch and run with a smile on your face.

It's the same smile you see when the playoff games get tight and he starts missing shot after shot.... million dollar jump shot except when it counts.


it was 6 years ago! Are you really going to hold that against him lol he went on to join the team he fought against


your real character shows through in times of stress and pressure..... so... yes I am. It's indicative of who he is. Do you forget the blatant choke grab of Sasha off the ball out of bounds? If he comes here does that make that OK?....

The guys a punk....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22819
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby The Rock on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:54 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
The Rock wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:I'll think of Melo as a 20 million dollar a year "name" that can only do one thing inefficiently and nothing else consistently.


And I'd add a chickens**t coward to boot..... His punch and run on Mardy Collins was just about the biggest cheap shot I've ever seen in organized sport. At least Artest was beating up people that weren't being held....

If you're going to enter a fight then enter it.... don't punch and run with a smile on your face.

It's the same smile you see when the playoff games get tight and he starts missing shot after shot.... million dollar jump shot except when it counts.


it was 6 years ago! Are you really going to hold that against him lol he went on to join the team he fought against


your real character shows through in times of stress and pressure..... so... yes I am. It's indicative of who he is. Do you forget the blatant choke grab of Sasha off the ball out of bounds? If he comes here does that make that OK?....

The guys a punk....


He was a punk. He also competes harder since the 2008 olympics



He battles
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19991
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby khmrP on Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:59 pm

I dont exactly see Melo as a "star" that has ability to pull others to want to play with him, he's not exactly known to pass the ball much. If he is needed to get Lebron so be it but thats the only way I'd be happy with signing Melo, otherwise I highly doubt other stars out there are lining up to play next to him.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby The Rock on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:00 pm

khmrP wrote:I dont exactly see Melo as a "star" that has ability to pull others to want to play with him, he's not exactly known to pass the ball much. If he is needed to get Lebron so be it but thats the only way I'd be happy with signing Melo, otherwise I highly doubt other stars out there are lining up to play next to him.


Chris Paul tried for years to play with Melo, Knicks never had the assets to make that trade
Image

Props to sidthekid871
User avatar
The Rock
CL Twitter Team
 
Posts: 19991
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:10 pm
Location: Smackdown Hotel

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby khmrP on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:07 pm

The Rock wrote:
khmrP wrote:I dont exactly see Melo as a "star" that has ability to pull others to want to play with him, he's not exactly known to pass the ball much. If he is needed to get Lebron so be it but thats the only way I'd be happy with signing Melo, otherwise I highly doubt other stars out there are lining up to play next to him.


Chris Paul tried for years to play with Melo, Knicks never had the assets to make that trade


thats 1 guy and and its Paul after all doesn't really speak volume. Here's another pri-madonna star who wants his way or the highway. People always rag on Kobe for not being a team player but I hardly see this type of comments towards Melo but when I see him in the playoffs, ALL i see him do is shoot it pretty much iso and shoots it everytime he gets the ball, I'm sure Paul would've regreted that decision had it come true. Also saw your other post the notion that he's gona learn something new if/when he plays next to Kobe, come on now dude will be 30 by then, Melo only knows 1 way to play and thats shoot it everytime you get it.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby Rooscooter on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:16 pm

The Rock wrote:
khmrP wrote:I dont exactly see Melo as a "star" that has ability to pull others to want to play with him, he's not exactly known to pass the ball much. If he is needed to get Lebron so be it but thats the only way I'd be happy with signing Melo, otherwise I highly doubt other stars out there are lining up to play next to him.


Chris Paul tried for years to play with Melo, Knicks never had the assets to make that trade


Birds of a feather..... both looking for "super star" cover so their string of playoff failures doesn't stick to them alone.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22819
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby kenzo on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:21 pm

I think that the new CBA, Stern's veto, Howard leaving set us back "few" good years. We're (fans) picky as s*** i see. If you think we're landing Bron, Durant, any young star, etc. You need to think again. I pray for Rondo, Love combo but im afraid we'll have to build thru draft and wait "some" time for a new dynasty :man6:
User avatar
kenzo

 
Posts: 5967
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:06 pm
Location: Poland

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby Rooscooter on Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:46 pm

kenzo wrote:I think that the new CBA, Stern's veto, Howard leaving set us back "few" good years. We're (fans) picky as s*** i see. If you think we're landing Bron, Durant, any young star, etc. You need to think again. I pray for Rondo, Love combo but im afraid we'll have to build thru draft and wait "some" time for a new dynasty :man6:


I think you may be right. I also believe that will be the best way to do it. After Showtime we drafted well and built a team of assets to use to get what we needed when the time was right..... we didn't panic to just have a top 10 star just for the sake of having one and we did just fine.

This is the reason why I've been a proponent of trading Pau and/or Nash to any and all contenders for picks and youth. I'm not sure we can re-boot this thing in Kobe's remaining years with enough quality talent to win. We'd have to swing for the fences again and next summer sign between 8 and 10 players that can immediately come together into a team
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22819
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:35 pm

Doc Brown wrote:What does Melo bring to the team aside from 40% on 25 shots a game?

What does Dirk?
What does Pau?

Melo's list starts and ends with inefficient scoring. At least Dirk and Pau brought/have other aspects to their game. Melo is a one dimensional player.

Luckily we'll have all 3 of them next season so Melo doesn't have to do it all.. We sign Melo first, figure out how to split up what's left between Kobe, Pau, & another free agent or 2. Then they talk Dirk into joining them cuz he isn't winning crap in Dallas & he knows it.. Nash/Kobe/Melo/Dirk/Pau.. Defense is overrated.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby Rooscooter on Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:28 am

lakersin4 wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:What does Melo bring to the team aside from 40% on 25 shots a game?

What does Dirk?
What does Pau?

Melo's list starts and ends with inefficient scoring. At least Dirk and Pau brought/have other aspects to their game. Melo is a one dimensional player.

Luckily we'll have all 3 of them next season so Melo doesn't have to do it all.. We sign Melo first, figure out how to split up what's left between Kobe, Pau, & another free agent or 2. Then they talk Dirk into joining them cuz he isn't winning crap in Dallas & he knows it.. Nash/Kobe/Melo/Dirk/Pau.. Defense is overrated.



dooood... time to put the pipe down.....
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 22819
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby khmrP on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:04 am

kenzo wrote:I think that the new CBA, Stern's veto, Howard leaving set us back "few" good years. We're (fans) picky as s*** i see. If you think we're landing Bron, Durant, any young star, etc. You need to think again. I pray for Rondo, Love combo but im afraid we'll have to build thru draft and wait "some" time for a new dynasty :man6:


picky? we're talking bout one of the most 1 dimensional "star" in the league, why would anyone be happy with a 30+ something guy making nearly 1/3 of the salary cap who does nothing more then score? If we already know Lebron is pipe, why take a uncessary risk of signing Melo just to be in the boat of chasing a pipe in Lebron? Rondo/Love combo sounds alot better than signing Melo in hopes of attracting a guy like Lebron.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:28 am

Because we don't know that LeBron is a pipe dream obviously. LeBron is an extreme long shot, but that doesn't make him a pipe dream.

And I would welcome Carmelo Anthony as long as he wasn't the only addition; as long as there was an end game that brought along another player.

And even if that meant we were looking at 2015 to go get Rondo/Love and pair them with Carmelo and an aging Kobe/maybe Gasol. That's a fantastic start.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40266
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:37 am

Where's the cap room coming from to sign Melo/Rondo/Love/Kobe/Pau?

~60 million total cap space....

Melo will get a max deal from us....40 million in cap space

Re-sign Kobe and Pau, taking up a very generous 20 million in cap space combined (probably will be higher)....20 million in cap space

Love and Rondo signing for 10 million a piece?

Even if you take out Gasol at his 5-8 million salary (estimation), is Love and Rondo going to sign for 14 million a piece? I don't think so.

And that is not even considering our draft pick we have to sign, if we stretch Nash, if we sign any other free agents next year and cap holds.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19455
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby XXIV on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:42 am

Yea there's no way I see us signing those five players above unless someone takes a HUGE paycut.

If we were to sign Melo I would hope he'd consider a slight paycut in order to help bring someone else like Lebron. Based on his recent comments he seems pretty concern with his opportunity for winning a title closing, so hopefully that means he'll take less to help recruit another player.
XXIV

 
Posts: 6384
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:49 am

Relax guys, it's just some active brain storming.

2014- Sign Carmelo, re-sign Kobe/Gasol and maybe some other nice piece if we can to fill out our cap space.
Carmelo- 20
Kobe- 20
Gasol- 12
Piece- 8

2015- Carmelo/Piece are the only ones on contract that's 28 million.
Love- 16 million
Rondo- 16 million

That was really what I was getting at. If Kobe/Gasol come back one more time it's as a chance at a ring and at a far cheaper cost obviously. Take out that long-term piece(s) for 8 million and maybe you've got a shot at having Kobe here at that price. Maybe not. Who knows?

The point is that Carmelo doesn't have to be the end game where everyone keeps b****ing about his one-dimensional ability. There's other players out there that can and will work next to him to make a Championship level squad.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40266
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:02 am

2014 Part

Where is Nash at? He's at 3 million or his current salary
Where is our 1st round pick at?
Where is Sacre at? (It's a small salary, but it counts)
Kobe and Pau signing both 1 year deals?

2015
When is the last time, aside from the Miami cHeat, that a team pulled off a Love/Rondo/Melo/Kobe/Pau in 2 offseasons?

And why do the people that are opposed to having Melo not allowed to voice their opinion on getting him? We have to accept the fact that we have to get Melo to get other star players? No one is b****** about getting Melo, more like expressing the truth to his game.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19455
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby khmrP on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:04 am

28+32= 60mill, the cap is at 58 at the moment, its not gona go up that much in 2yrs and on top of that melo+piece isnt gona be 28, you need to factor in raises which will bring that # to more like low 30's, leaving about 25mill or so to split between Rondo/Love, good luck with that. Melo might not be the end game but he certainly NOT the star player that people think he is that we need in order to attract other stars.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:16 am

I don't know why I am suddenly having to defend myself against two people in a thread where these opinions have been widely talked about already for 18 pages but here goes!

Doc Brown wrote:2014 Part

Where is Nash at? He's at 3 million or his current salary
Where is our 1st round pick at?
Where is Sacre at? (It's a small salary, but it counts)
Kobe and Pau signing both 1 year deals?

Again, quick brainstorming. It's 10 AM and I'm not at work, so obviously I'm not taking this as seriously as you are. I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to poke holes in this, but if you want I'll try harder.

1. Nash at 3 million- check.
2. 1st Round Pick- 1.1 million
3. Sacre- 915,000
4. Kobe and Gasol- Yup.

Salaries: Carmelo- 20
1st Round Pick- 1.1
Nash- 3
Sacre- 915,000
Kobe- 20 million
Pau- 14.985 million
Total- 60 million
Boom.

Doc Brown wrote:2015
When is the last time, aside from the Miami cHeat, that a team pulled off a Love/Rondo/Melo/Kobe/Pau in 2 offseasons?

Probably 2008 when the Boston Celtics acquired Kevin Garnett AND Ray Allen to play with Paul Pierce.
Then maybe 2007 when we acquired Pau Gasol to play with Kobe, Bynum, and Odom.
You could throw in our two failed experiments of Howard/Nash in 2013 and of Malone/Payton in 2004.
Maybe throw in the less successful Joe Johnson/Deron Williams/Brook Lopez/Gerald Wallace in 2012.

There's plenty of precedent.

Doc Brown wrote:And why do the people that are opposed to having Melo not allowed to voice their opinion on getting him?

Who said you didn't? By my count there's more people over the last page and a half or so AGAINST Melo than for him. In fact it's been split pretty well throughout this and many other threads.

Doc Brown wrote:We have to accept the fact that we have to get Melo to get other star players?
I never made that claim at all.
Doc Brown wrote: No one is b****** about getting Melo, more like expressing the truth to his game.
I'm sorry if you took offense to that word (since you singled it out), it was just a turn of phrase. I honestly didn't mean anything negative by it, just the word that comes to mind. I should have probably said "complaining" since that's less inflammatory. I apologize.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40266
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:21 am

khmrP wrote:28+32= 60mill, the cap is at 58 at the moment, its not gona go up that much in 2yrs and on top of that melo+piece isnt gona be 28, you need to factor in raises which will bring that # to more like low 30's, leaving about 25mill or so to split between Rondo/Love, good luck with that. Melo might not be the end game but he certainly NOT the star player that people think he is that we need in order to attract other stars.

It's not going to go up 2 million? I think it could. And if not, subtract one million from Pau's contract and/or trade away the pick, and/or don't sign an 8 million dollar player in 2014 sign a 7 million dollar one. There's plenty of easy ways around that.

Again- you don't have to sign a piece for that much. It was just a way to make the team reach the salary limit. If THAT'S the reason we can't sign Love/Rondo, then that piece doesn't exist. The FO will know how to make the salaries work to that end.

I think Carmelo is exactly the kind of player you need to attract other stars. He's an All-Star player and he's entering the prime of his playing days. Is he perfect? Nope, not even close. But as a piece he can certainly be a Championship level contributor. You just need the pieces around him. Love and Rondo is a fantastic place to start at. Rondo keeps the ball out of Carmelo's hands all game long and Love is there to help space the floor/rebound. Nice start, but certainly not over yet.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40266
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby khmrP on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:25 am

therealdeal wrote:
khmrP wrote:28+32= 60mill, the cap is at 58 at the moment, its not gona go up that much in 2yrs and on top of that melo+piece isnt gona be 28, you need to factor in raises which will bring that # to more like low 30's, leaving about 25mill or so to split between Rondo/Love, good luck with that. Melo might not be the end game but he certainly NOT the star player that people think he is that we need in order to attract other stars.

It's not going to go up 2 million? I think it could. And if not, subtract one million from Pau's contract and/or trade away the pick, and/or don't sign an 8 million dollar player in 2014 sign a 7 million dollar one. There's plenty of easy ways around that.

Again- you don't have to sign a piece for that much. It was just a way to make the team reach the salary limit. If THAT'S the reason we can't sign Love/Rondo, then that piece doesn't exist. The FO will know how to make the salaries work to that end.

I think Carmelo is exactly the kind of player you need to attract other stars. He's an All-Star player and he's entering the prime of his playing days. Is he perfect? Nope, not even close. But as a piece he can certainly be a Championship level contributor. You just need the pieces around him. Love and Rondo is a fantastic place to start at. Rondo keeps the ball out of Carmelo's hands all game long and Love is there to help space the floor/rebound. Nice start, but certainly not over yet.

Melo will be 30 by then, it will be more like the decline of his prime and NO I dont think its going up that much. It went up a few hundred K from 2012 to 2013. As far as cap goes, even if you dont have players signed there is still a cap hold of a certain amount of players and salary even if they dont exist due to this new CBA so even if its just Melo and his $20mill by himself a few more mill will be held up in cap hold regardless if a player exist or not to occupy that cap. Keeping the ball out of Melo hand isn't really gona make him any better, he's not exactly a catch and shoot guy either, he constantly needs to go ISO or otherwise he'll just stand around if he doesn't have the ball.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:34 am

30 is not the decline of a player at all, my friend. Most greats won their rings past their 30s. Even going over the last few years:
2012-2013- Wade
2011- Kidd, Nowitzski
2010- Kobe, Pau, Lamar
2009- Kobe, Pau, Lamar
2008- Pierce, Garnett, Allen
2007- Duncan, Ginobili
etc.

Maybe you're right. But the BIG contracts won't be the reason we can't make those things happen. The Lakers will clear the salaries they need to get the BIG contracts they want. That includes moving a guy like Sacre or Young or what have you. They'll make the necessary moves and changes so that they can position themselves to give lucrative contracts to the players they need. What you're referring to is the subtle aspects, but they can be done. The Lakers have shown for years that they will sacrifice the small contracts to get the big names.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40266
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby khmrP on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:40 am

therealdeal wrote:30 is not the decline of a player at all, my friend. Most greats won their rings past their 30s. Even going over the last few years:
2012-2013- Wade
2011- Kidd, Nowitzski
2010- Kobe, Pau, Lamar
2009- Kobe, Pau, Lamar
2008- Pierce, Garnett, Allen
2007- Duncan, Ginobili
etc.

Maybe you're right. But the BIG contracts won't be the reason we can't make those things happen. The Lakers will clear the salaries they need to get the BIG contracts they want. That includes moving a guy like Sacre or Young or what have you. They'll make the necessary moves and changes so that they can position themselves to give lucrative contracts to the players they need. What you're referring to is the subtle aspects, but they can be done. The Lakers have shown for years that they will sacrifice the small contracts to get the big names.


and ALL those players you listed do more then just 1 thing well unlike Melo and I'm amazed you listed recent Wade, recent wade rode Lebron coat tails, the Melo we will need should be more like the Lebron type player and everyone else is our Wade, something I wont look forward to.
User avatar
khmrP

 
Posts: 10448
Joined: Sat May 26, 2007 10:45 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby therealdeal on Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:44 am

Well Ray Allen was really just a shooter. Nowitzski is really just a scorer. But you're right for the most part. To be a Champion, Carmelo would likely have to rebound better than he does, but that's pretty much it. And playing next to Kobe would show him that I think. I have never said Carmelo is a perfect player and in a lot of cases, I've been just as hard on him. But I'd still take him if we could get him.

I don't think Melo has to be LeBron. I think Melo has to be Nowitzski and I don't think that's really so far to stretch. Especially if we get the right cast around him.
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40266
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:17 am

therealdeal wrote:I don't know why I am suddenly having to defend myself against two people in a thread where these opinions have been widely talked about already for 18 pages but here goes!


I've just started paying attention to this thread.

Again, quick brainstorming. It's 10 AM and I'm not at work, so obviously I'm not taking this as seriously as you are. I'm not sure why you're trying so hard to poke holes in this, but if you want I'll try harder.

1. Nash at 3 million- check.
2. 1st Round Pick- 1.1 million
3. Sacre- 915,000
4. Kobe and Gasol- Yup.

Salaries: Carmelo- 20
1st Round Pick- 1.1
Nash- 3
Sacre- 915,000
Kobe- 20 million
Pau- 14.985 million
Total- 60 million
Boom.


That's all fine and dandy for 2014. Hopefully the 1st rounder isn't a bust and you can fill at least 8 positions with the MLE, BAE and vet. min signings to be competitive.

2015 becomes the problem when you have Melo + 3 million from Nash + 1st round pick at around ~26 million and have Kobe/Rondo/Love/Pau to sign with 34 million in available space.

And that's with the notion that you used the MLE and BAE for 1 year only deals.

Probably 2008 when the Boston Celtics acquired Kevin Garnett AND Ray Allen to play with Paul Pierce.
Then maybe 2007 when we acquired Pau Gasol to play with Kobe, Bynum, and Odom.
You could throw in our two failed experiments of Howard/Nash in 2013 and of Malone/Payton in 2004.
Maybe throw in the less successful Joe Johnson/Deron Williams/Brook Lopez/Gerald Wallace in 2012.


KG/Allen - Involved trades
Pau - Involved a trade
D12/Nash - Trades
Malone/Payton - I was referring to star players that are getting paid and in their primes, not old vets on cheap deals.
Nets - Involved trades

I said the Miami cHeat way, free agents that take pay cuts to team up with each other in their primes. All your examples involved teams trading assets for disgruntled/unwanted stars. Free agency is a whole different scenario.

Provide examples of free agents that control where they go. Because Love and Rondo, according to your scenario, they are going to have to take pay cuts lower than what the cHeat players did by far.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
User avatar
Doc Brown

 
Posts: 19455
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby charvin on Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:55 pm

khmrP wrote:
therealdeal wrote:30 is not the decline of a player at all, my friend. Most greats won their rings past their 30s. Even going over the last few years:
2012-2013- Wade
2011- Kidd, Nowitzski
2010- Kobe, Pau, Lamar
2009- Kobe, Pau, Lamar
2008- Pierce, Garnett, Allen
2007- Duncan, Ginobili
etc.

Maybe you're right. But the BIG contracts won't be the reason we can't make those things happen. The Lakers will clear the salaries they need to get the BIG contracts they want. That includes moving a guy like Sacre or Young or what have you. They'll make the necessary moves and changes so that they can position themselves to give lucrative contracts to the players they need. What you're referring to is the subtle aspects, but they can be done. The Lakers have shown for years that they will sacrifice the small contracts to get the big names.


and ALL those players you listed do more then just 1 thing well unlike Melo and I'm amazed you listed recent Wade, recent wade rode Lebron coat tails, the Melo we will need should be more like the Lebron type player and everyone else is our Wade, something I wont look forward to.


What are these things that Pierce and Wade can do besides score?
charvin

 
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.