Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Re: Kobe and Melo meet at Pelicans Hill Resort in Newport Beach

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:54 pm

I wouldn't be so sure that D'antoni has to go for Melo to come.. Melo has been playing great ball in D'antoni's system. D'antoni caved to the players demands to change the offense last season, something he wasn't willing to do for Melo.. I don't know if that's him learning from his mistakes or because it was Kobe speaking up this time instead of Melo.
lakersin4

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby King of Clutch on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:05 pm

Melo gets a bad rap. But he definitely is a superstar. Would be ECSTATIC to have him.
King of Clutch

Postby Frank Dux on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:08 pm

King of Clutch wrote:Melo gets a bad rap. But he definitely is a superstar. Would be ECSTATIC to have him.

Superstar? No way. There are 3-4 superstars in this league. Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, and Durant. That's it. Maybe Chris Paul. Maybe.

Melo is an all star borderline top 10 player with a pretty offensive game, and that's about it. His defense, athleticism, leadership, and passing is atrocious.
Frank Dux

Postby ElginTheGreat on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Wish we would have gotten him for Bynum instead of Dwight. Melo has weaknesses but bring him in along with a big or even Kyrie Irving and i am all in.
ElginTheGreat

Postby ElginTheGreat on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Kobe can mold Melo into the leader he needs to be unlike Dwight. Sign me up.
ElginTheGreat

Postby last stand on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:12 pm

If it helps Kobe get 6 I'm all for it. If it helps us win a title before Houston bring him in

Since we are going to apparently miss out on wiggins, Parker and smart might as well delay it again and try to send Kobe out in style
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby karacha on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:17 pm

I think Melo + Kobe can work. Anthony is also one of the most fundamentally solid players in the league, at least offensively. He scores from anywhere and is very difficult to stop. Can play the 3 or the 4 when going smaller. Can attract other good players and role-players.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Rock on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:18 pm

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby Finwë on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:24 pm

I don't think Melo would want to play under MDA again. I think MDA would have to be gone for us to have a chance in signing him
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby King of Clutch on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:26 pm

Let's be real about Melo vs Paul and Dwight.

Melo is no Bron but he is arguably better than those two. Melo joined a team with 8 straight years of a losing record, and he turned them into an over 500 team the next 7 1/2 straight years. He never once had a playoff run besides 09 where Kenyon and Nene both played and contributed. He went to ny and then went on to get them in the payoff every year he is there.

For all the [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] Melo takes and he does take a lot, he's never gotten far because he ran into the Lakers and Spurs in 5 playoff runs, where they went on to the finals. Then he has ran into Miami and Indiana. Lets not ignore the fact that Melos a winner in the sense he has won a gold medal, won a collegiate title, always finished over 500, unlike Paul he's been to the conference finals and isn't injury prone, and unlike Dwight he can't be hacked and took more games from those laker teams.m

We should welcome Melo, he's a superstar, and he's a better player than Paul or Dwight. He more score first minded, but his actual results make him a better leader than Paul. And his actual mentality put him over Dwight, as he at least had the balls to stick to where he wanted to be.

This.
King of Clutch

Postby King of Clutch on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:29 pm

I think LeBron ultimately might be a smokescreen and that Carmelo and _____ is the real target. Now that I think about it, it makes more sense that way. Kobe and Carmelo are pretty close. I think we just need to get guys surrounding him that can make him successful. Not to mention I think Kobe and Carmelo would hold each other accountable on both ends of the floor.

I wouldn't be opposed to this depending on the circumstance.

This.

And i've watched the NY knicks in the playoffs. Carmelo wasn't the problem, he rarely ever is. They were doing great until JR got suspended a game and then was never the same in the playoffs. Add to the fact that they lost to the team that nearly eliminated the nba champion miami heat. If it weren't for us in 2009, melo would've gotten to the nba finals. And as much as people love to hate on the man, he's done more than cp3 in his playoff career. I think kobe and melo are a tandem that has great respect for each other, and what they do. I think the natural doubt everyone will have on their co-existance, as well as them being friends, could actually bring them closer together.
King of Clutch

Postby King of Clutch on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:37 pm

Frank Dux wrote:
King of Clutch wrote:Melo gets a bad rap. But he definitely is a superstar. Would be ECSTATIC to have him.

Superstar? No way. There are 3-4 superstars in this league. Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, and Durant. That's it. Maybe Chris Paul. Maybe.

Melo is an all star borderline top 10 player with a pretty offensive game, and that's about it. His defense, athleticism, leadership, and passing is atrocious.

Duncan is NOT a superstar anymore. Let's not get carried away by the great spurs run. He's a great player still, but should not be mentioned with Kobe, Lebron, and Durant. And KB, Durant and lbj are definitely superstars. But to say they're the only ones is ludicrous. Melo, Rose and Paul are superstars as well. How you could include Tim, but leave out paul, and melo off that list is baffling to me. Parker is a better player than Tim at this stage of his career.

But I also agree that KB, LBJ and Durant are a class above the rest. So I can see how you would limit them to the superstar term. But the others fall under the superstar category in my opinion. I guess it depends on what one calls a "superstar". It's a subjective term.
King of Clutch

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:47 pm

I'm fine with that. I like Carmelo's game, always have. He'll have to step it up a little more on D, but I'd love to pair him with Kobe. Nothing wrong with that IMO.
Lakerjones

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:51 pm

puffyusaf#2 wrote:as my history has stated I love Melo's skill and game. Im not sure he comes to LA but I'd take him for sure.

I've also always had a soft spot for Melo. His offensive game is phenomenal. I greatly prefer him and style of play to Lebronze.

I'd love to see him paired up with Kobe for his final run. I don't think just the two of them is enough though. They'll need more ammo.
Lakerjones

Postby revgen on Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:53 pm

No.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby Ariza3 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:09 pm

why not...its carmelo anthony. an elite scorer and superstar player. if he wants to play for the lakers i say go for it. i think it depends on how the knicks do this coming season....and judging by their roster it'll be the exact same as last season. they cant get past miami or the pacers next season so he might want a change of scenery.

but from what i have read/seen he loves NY and probably wont leave. NY might sign someone special next season and he wont want to leave.
Ariza3

Postby King of Clutch on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:12 pm

Outside of the players on his own team, carmelo is probably kobe's best friend. He's always liked carmelo and respected him.

King of Clutch

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
puffyusaf#2 wrote:as my history has stated I love Melo's skill and game. Im not sure he comes to LA but I'd take him for sure.

I've also always had a soft spot for Melo. His offensive game is phenomenal. I greatly prefer him and style of play to Lebronze.

I'd love to see him paired up with Kobe for his final run. I don't think just the two of them is enough though. They'll need more ammo.

i think kobe and melo could make a pretty good pairing. sure they're both ball-dominant, but these two would probably have minimal to no chemistry issues, helped by their personal relationship. try as he might and super-talented as he is, melo is no super-alpha. given how much he respects kobe, i think he'd have no trouble deferring when necessary. this is why pau and kobe worked so great together. when pau came to us, he was one of the most skilled, if not the most skilled, big men in the nba. talent, check. but pau's personality was ALSO perfect in that he never was the super-alpha guy, and was more than happy to fall in line behind kobe and go to work. i do agree that we'd need more than just an aged kobe and melo though.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Weezy on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:18 pm

If we got Melo I just don't think it would be the end of the world, to me it's similar to LeBron and Wade. Melo can flat out shoot/score, you couldn't leave him or Kobe open, ever, and Kobe would find him for easy catch and shoot hoops all the time. If I remember right he and Kobe played very well together on Team USA as well. He might not be my first choice, but I'm not sure we could do much better. Add a star big man to that and we have ourselves a big 3 for one or 2 more shots at a title. But then Melo loves NY, he wanted to go there really bad, so he probably doesn't leave anyway, this is all just hypothetical.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:21 pm

Lakerjones wrote:

exactly. I have openly talked about how I believe Melo's overall offensive game is better than Lebron. He has a complete offensive game plain and simple. People can hate on the guy all they want but he doesn't have a hole on that side of the floor. His defense can be blah at times but then he can get off the ball blocks, steals in passing lanes and stop a few guys when needed. Over the last 6-8 years there are exactly 4 guys who I fear taking a shot late in a game: Kobe (he is on my team so it doesn't matter), Nash, Ray Allen and Melo (honorable mention: Paul Pierce from the elbow). I can see why Lebron would be the #1 choice for every team but I wouldn't sleep on Melo. The only guys to be equal to or better (depending on who is talking) is KD and Bron. Anyone else isn't at his level.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby lakersyunowin on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:23 pm

there's two melo threads going on right now. anyways, to sum up my other post: i think kobe + melo could def work, as they already have a personal relationship to build chemistry on. melo is talented and has been growing as a leader, but he is not a super-alpha. he'd likely have no issue deferring to kobe's leadership. pau was similar when he came here (super talented + non-alpha personality) and that worked out great.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby OX1947 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:28 pm

Melo was a Kobe playing like God series away from winning it all in 2009. That Denver team was freakin tough. Melo would be perfect for Kobe for his last few years. He would be able to truly take pressure off him on the offensive in. If the Lakers suck bad enough to get Marcus Smart, they have their PG of the future and then the Lakers could sign 2 more players to really balance the team out. Lakers gonna need some luck.
OX1947

Postby lakerfan2 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:31 pm

And it's not like Melo HAS to take the max. If there's an opportunity to take a cut to sign another player alongside Kobe and Melo, preferably a big man, then why not.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby charvin on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:42 pm

Many ifs, but here goes, if Kobe's game can age and accepts to pass more and scoring a little less, this could very well work out.

Melo is a big guy who can operate down in the block and his game can age much better than LeBron. Can't predict the future, but if LeBron doesn't work on improving the consistency in his jumpers. Melo could very well be a better option because he doesn't rely on athleticism as much.
charvin

Postby Frank Dux on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:52 pm

King of Clutch wrote:Duncan is NOT a superstar anymore. Let's not get carried away by the great spurs run. He's a great player still, but should not be mentioned with Kobe, Lebron, and Durant. And KB, Durant and lbj are definitely superstars. But to say they're the only ones is ludicrous. Melo, Rose and Paul are superstars as well. How you could include Tim, but leave out paul, and melo off that list is baffling to me. Parker is a better player than Tim at this stage of his career.

But I also agree that KB, LBJ and Durant are a class above the rest. So I can see how you would limit them to the superstar term. But the others fall under the superstar category in my opinion. I guess it depends on what one calls a "superstar". It's a subjective term.

Let's not ignore the great season Duncan had. He was elite plain and simple. Did he light the world on fire with his offense? No way, but try find two players who had a bigger impact than him on the defensive end this season. His defense reaked havoc on the Heat during the finals, and if Pop didn't outcoach himself, Duncan would be looking at his 5th title. Melo, and Chris Paul are utter failures in the playoffs, I have a hard time calling players "superstars" when they are habitually knocked out the first round.. Duncan was old as dirt, and was a defensive monster leading his team to game 7 of the NBA finals. Rose isn't a superstar either IMO. He's the worst MVP i've ever seen, and he's a big time coward. Thibs, and Noah are the MVP's of the Bulls. Rose is a nice volume scoring all star though.

Superstar is such an overused term.
Frank Dux

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion