Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Re: Kobe and Melo meet at Pelicans Hill Resort in Newport Beach

Postby Center Court on Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:55 pm

I'm with those that say, YES please.
Center Court

Re: Carmelo Anthony could be a 2014 target for the Lakers

Postby lakerfan2 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:00 am

Come on, you can't count Melo and Paul out like that. Realistically think of the teammates those players have had...Tyson Chandler? David West? JR Smith? Amare Stoudemire?

Now take the guys you listed:

Lebron - Wade, Bosh
Kobe - Shaq, Pau
Duncan - Parker, Ginobili
Durant - Westbrook

Melo and CP3 have not played with a legitimate star alongside them, CP3 is close, but no cigar. Clippers are deep, but without a legit 2nd fiddle, it isn't going to get far.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby King of Clutch on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:02 am

Frank Dux wrote:
King of Clutch wrote:Duncan is NOT a superstar anymore. Let's not get carried away by the great spurs run. He's a great player still, but should not be mentioned with Kobe, Lebron, and Durant. And KB, Durant and lbj are definitely superstars. But to say they're the only ones is ludicrous. Melo, Rose and Paul are superstars as well. How you could include Tim, but leave out paul, and melo off that list is baffling to me. Parker is a better player than Tim at this stage of his career.

But I also agree that KB, LBJ and Durant are a class above the rest. So I can see how you would limit them to the superstar term. But the others fall under the superstar category in my opinion. I guess it depends on what one calls a "superstar". It's a subjective term.

Let's not ignore the great season Duncan had. He was elite plain and simple. Did he light the world on fire with his offense? No way, but try find two players who had a bigger impact than him on the defensive end this season. His defense reaked havoc on the Heat during the finals, and if Pop didn't outcoach himself, Duncan would be looking at his 5th title. Melo, and Chris Paul are utter failures in the playoffs, I have a hard time calling players "superstars" when they are habitually knocked out the first round.. Duncan was old as dirt, and was a defensive monster leading his team to game 7 of the NBA finals. Rose isn't a superstar either IMO. He's the worst MVP i've ever seen, and he's a big time coward. Thibs, and Noah are the MVP's of the Bulls. Rose is a nice volume scoring all star though.

Superstar is such an overused term.

......I don't even know where to begin....

Let's just agree to disagree.
King of Clutch

Postby King of Clutch on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:05 am

lakerfan2 wrote:Come on, you can't count Melo and Paul out like that. Realistically think of the teammates those players have had...Tyson Chandler? David West? JR Smith? Amare Stoudemire?

Now take the guys you listed:

Lebron - Wade, Bosh
Kobe - Shaq, Pau
Duncan - Parker, Ginobili
Durant - Westbrook

Melo and CP3 have not played with a legitimate star alongside them, CP3 is close, but no cigar. Clippers are deep, but without a legit 2nd fiddle, it isn't going to get far.

Thank you.
King of Clutch

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:07 am

Come on man, a front court of Tyson Chandler, and David West is ELITE. And should be more than enough to get the job done. The Clippers were touted as having a world beater lineup, and I even heard people calling them the favorites to win it all this season. I don't get how he still gets a pass. His track record in the playoffs is not impressive.

Also, Melo has been on some absolutely stacked rosters. Superstars rise to the occasion though, that's why Kobe and co. knocked his azz out the playoffs.

Good players, and all stars sure. But a superstar is a once in a generation talent.
Frank Dux

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:09 am

King of Clutch wrote:
Let's just agree to disagree.

Sure thing man :beer:

No disrespect.
Frank Dux

Postby Johnnyboy on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:14 am

Lakers should go young. Forget melo. Irving/lillard/Monroe/drummond/Cousins should be the targets.

Imagine Lillard/kobe/cousins/pau/ mid level sf
Johnnyboy

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:14 am

Melo and Kobe on the same team :man10: ... the 13 others players on the roster can already join the fans in the stands ...

Melo isn't a player whose going to be part of a championship team core ... will never happen
wcsoldier81

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:17 am

The Rock wrote:If Dirk can win a ring, Melo can win a ring. Theyre not perfect, theyre both flawed in some ways but they do have the intangibles you want in a superstar. They want to take the big shot and theyre not afraid of the moment.

LOL

Dirk is a top 20 player of all time and has one of the best skillsets in NBA history that makes it very easy to build around him

Melo is an inefficient ball hog that is only useful when his jump shot is on. He's nothing you want from your #1 option
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:20 am

Weezy wrote:If we got Melo I just don't think it would be the end of the world, to me it's similar to LeBron and Wade. Melo can flat out shoot/score, you couldn't leave him or Kobe open, ever, and Kobe would find him for easy catch and shoot hoops all the time. If I remember right he and Kobe played very well together on Team USA as well. He might not be my first choice, but I'm not sure we could do much better. Add a star big man to that and we have ourselves a big 3 for one or 2 more shots at a title. But then Melo loves NY, he wanted to go there really bad, so he probably doesn't leave anyway, this is all just hypothetical.

It comes down to a question of does he love NY more than he loves winning.. Melo got a taste of winning it all at Syracuse & hasn't sniffed it since.. He's been eliminated by Kobe in the playoffs & obviously has a ton of respect & admiration for Kobe. I think he knows him & Kobe would be right there with Wade & Lebron as the best duo in the league, & they'd be sure to attract a 3rd star, especially with the possibility of Kobe taking a huge pay cut.

I think Melo is a winner that just hasn't been in the right situation yet.. I mean his best teammates have been A.I., Amare, JR Smith.. He had an old Billups & has Chandler now but that's not even comparable to playing with Kobe.. He hasn't ever played with a guy that could lead a championship team.Teaming up with Kobe could without a doubt give Melo a better chance to win a ring while he's still in his prime.

Once again, another instance where getting Phil more involved with the team would benefit us.. Because Melo certainly hasn't had the guidance of a great coach yet.. With all due respect to Karl, he's a regular season coach.. If we get Phil in a consultant role or something where he has interaction with the players & guides the coaches, we become much more appealing to a guy like Melo who desperately wants to get a ring.
lakersin4

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:22 am

kblo247 wrote:
Melo is no Bron but he is arguably better than those two. Melo joined a team with 8 straight years of a losing record, and he turned them into an over 500 team the next 7 1/2 straight years. He never once had a playoff run besides 09 where Kenyon and Nene both played and contributed. He went to ny and then went on to get them in the payoff every year he is there.

For all the [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] Melo takes and he does take a lot, he's never gotten far because he ran into the Lakers and Spurs in 5 playoff runs, where they went on to the finals. Then he has ran into Miami and Indiana. Lets not ignore the fact that Melos a winner in the sense he has won a gold medal, won a collegiate title, always finished over 500, unlike Paul he's been to the conference finals and isn't injury prone, and unlike Dwight he can't be hacked and took more games from those laker teams.m

We should welcome Melo, he's a superstar, and he's a better player than Paul or Dwight. He more score first minded, but his actual results make him a better leader than Paul. And his actual mentality put him over Dwight, as he at least had the balls to stick to where he wanted to be.

Melo isn't a better player than Paul or healthy D12 ... I prefer watching Melo but he hasn't the same impact the 2 others can have on a B-Ball floor ... Melo is unidimensional as a superstar can be ... he doesn't impact the game in any other area than scoring and has a terrible defensive IQ
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:25 am

Weezy wrote:If we got Melo I just don't think it would be the end of the world, to me it's similar to LeBron and Wade. Melo can flat out shoot/score, you couldn't leave him or Kobe open, ever, and Kobe would find him for easy catch and shoot hoops all the time. If I remember right he and Kobe played very well together on Team USA as well. He might not be my first choice, but I'm not sure we could do much better. Add a star big man to that and we have ourselves a big 3 for one or 2 more shots at a title. But then Melo loves NY, he wanted to go there really bad, so he probably doesn't leave anyway, this is all just hypothetical.

prime Wade could do it all ... Melo does nothing on the court other than scoring ... you put two "1st scorer mentality " together in Melo and Kobe , that's a recipy for disaster
Last edited by wcsoldier81 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
wcsoldier81

Postby kenzo on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:26 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:

prime Wade could do it all ... Melo does nothing on the court than scoring ... you put two "1st scorer mentality " together in Melo and Kobe , that's a recipy for disaster

... not in MDA's eyes :man9:
kenzo

Postby lakersin4 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:53 am

Melo is actually a really good defender & an above average rebounder for his position.. Those of you pointing out Melo's flaws, who can we realistically get that's better? I don't see a single player better than Melo leaving their team before next summer. Guys I'd take before Melo: Durant, Lebron. I have CP3, Curry, Dwight, Love, LMA, Westbrook, George all right around the same level as Melo. Of those guys the only ones we'll have a shot at are Love, LMA, Durant & none of them will be on the market until 2015. Which is all the more reason to go get Melo next summer, so 1 of those guys can come form a big 3 that makes Miami look like a joke. If Nash & Pau still have anything in the tank, they take huge paycuts & come back too.. You stick any young PG that plays D & hits 3's in the starting lineup with Kobe/Durant/Melo/Hill or another rim protector.. With Nash, Pau, who knows what else on the bench by then since we'd be at the top of every ringchasers list.. Wouldn't be surprised to see Dirk come join in for a guaranteed ring.
lakersin4

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:57 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:If for some reason Melo actually becomes the guy the FO wants to go all out for I think I may have to stop watching this team, that would be the final straw for me

Fans prefer getting Melo over Lebron :man10:
wcsoldier81

Postby last stand on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:09 am

it depends what the goal is. if you are trying to win now with kobe for the next 2-3 years then you have to try and get a guy like melo and make that happen.

if not, and you've decided to blow it up and rebuild then you don't

simple to me
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby last stand on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:10 am

wcsoldier81 wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:If for some reason Melo actually becomes the guy the FO wants to go all out for I think I may have to stop watching this team, that would be the final straw for me

you think lebron is actually possible :man10:
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:12 am

^^^^ a really good defender : watch how he get lost on halfcourt defense , unecessary doubles , pick wrong guys in transition ... He's a good rebounder though , especially at rebounding his own misses near the hoop
wcsoldier81

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:15 am

last stand wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:

When did I say that ? :man10: ... I know he's not coming ... Melo is a huge stretch too but don't want ... and fans were not talking about probabilities of these players signing with the Lakers but their players preferences .. nice try
wcsoldier81

Postby Frank Dux on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:22 am

lakersin4 wrote:Melo is actually a really good defender

Lol what?
Frank Dux

Postby DJ-RaZ-Q#24 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:29 am

OX1947 wrote:what is the rule on qualifying offer? John Wall is due for that next year. Can he decline and become a free agent?

I'd also like to know if he can decline it. Anybody knows?

Ps.: Make this the offiical Carmelo thread :man1:
DJ-RaZ-Q#24

Postby noobiew on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:35 am

As I say if we gave a 31 years old Melo a max contract in 2014 then we're screwed, I am only ok to Melo as long as it's not a full max.

2014 free agency is guaranteed to be a bust anyway.
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby wcsoldier81 on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:49 am

It's always come down to the same question : has the Lakers organization the necessary patience and expertise to build a contender over multiple years instead of foolishy going all out in 2014 ? It definetely isn't the Lakers culture ... but the new CBA will likely force us to change our model of success barring a miracle

If we go all out in 2014 we probably get stuck financially for some years with a good but not good enough team... ala current Brooklyn Nets ...

Don't forget word was Pau was getting amnestied had D12 stayed ... you just don't get rid of an asset like that for nothing ( even if its value is at all time low ) if you intent to patiently rebuild a contender
wcsoldier81

Postby King of Clutch on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:58 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
The Rock wrote:If Dirk can win a ring, Melo can win a ring. Theyre not perfect, theyre both flawed in some ways but they do have the intangibles you want in a superstar. They want to take the big shot and theyre not afraid of the moment.

LOL

Dirk is a top 20 player of all time and has one of the best skillsets in NBA history that makes it very easy to build around him

Melo is an inefficient ball hog that is only useful when his jump shot is on. He's nothing you want from your #1 option

Yet that inefficient ball hog has had more playoff success than Chris Paul.

Including 2009, where his nuggets dispatched BOTH Chris Paul's hornets and Dirk's Mavs in as little as 5 games each. I guess people are letting the perception of melo, cloud how good this man actually is.
King of Clutch

Postby King of Clutch on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:25 am

last stand wrote:
wcsoldier81 wrote:

:man10: :man10: :man10: Exactly.

Make no mistake people. Most of the people lobbying for melo want him because he's the best player that we could actually GET in 2014. Let's not start being the picky, spoiled fans that everyone already thinks we are. Why anyone would turn down melo if we COULD get him is truly beyond me.
King of Clutch

PreviousNext

Return to Lakers Discussion