Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Melo AND Bron are Laker targets in 2014 (Ramona pg. 10)

Postby HighlyFavored on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:02 pm

This info is so big it needs its own thread!! So yesterday, a day after Dwight leaves LA, Kobe and Melo are spotted meeting at the Resort in Newport Beach near Kobe's home. hmmmmm very interesting...
ShawnFM‏@ShawnFNBA15h
Carmelo & Kobe did have a private dinner tonight in Newport Beach, Ca. Kobe & Melo are very close. First defection of 2014 summer?

@ShawnFNBA are you sure about this, because yesterday melo posted a picture of himself in Vegas

ShawnFM‏@ShawnFNBA1h
Yes 100% positive, he was lounging by the pool and when he was asked about what he is doing he offered the info. @Everlastin_gurl

https://twitter.com/ShawnFNBA

I checked and Carmelo posted this pic on instagram yesterday...

I went to the Pelican Hills resort webpage and found this picture of how their pool area look. You can see the background of Melo pic is the SAME as the picture of the Villa pool....so this man source on twitter is ACCURATE!

http://www.pelicanhill.com/Resort_Pools_Villa_Pool

Let the games BEGIN...this should be FUN!!!
HighlyFavored

Re: Kobe and Melo meet at Pelicans Hill Resort in Newport Beach

Postby jlkr on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Not going to make too much of this one. Recall a few summers back when Melo and CP3 were tight. And nothing came of that one. 'sides, Melo is a ball-dominant player, how's that going to play with ball-dominant Kobe and ball-dominant Nash?

They are friends having dinner together; I wouldn't read any more into it.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:14 pm

^Very True. Nevertheless, I wouldn't be surprised if he left NY and came to play for us; I know he's a black hole on offense, doesn't play defense, etc; I still wouldn't be surprised if he'd defected from NY. Kobe would push him and maybe just maybe that's what Carmelo needs to take his game to the next level. I'm not for it or against it, actually. Maybe Kobe would take a backseat and take on more of a facilitator role...maybe Nash would be gone by then...I don't know. Just throwing stuff out there...
dwighthowardsdad

Postby purp n gold on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:18 pm

If we ended up with Melo next year I would be very happy. Along with Cheap Kobe & Cheap Pau we could add another good piece too
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby jlkr on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:30 pm

If Melo came over for 2014-15, he'd be 30 then. Would he still be as effective as ever or would he be heading downhill? Past 30, players have to work their butts off to stay healthy and effective, it's not automatic.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:34 pm

^Carmelo is fundamentally solid on offense. Great foot, good mid-range, and actually shot the best % from three he had in his career last year. He's great free-throw line extended down. I'd think his game would "age well." He could probably play another 3-4 more years at a high level, IMO.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby gill on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:34 pm

It has begun... Bean in recruitment mode already. :man9:

Melo is a prolific scorer who doesn't rely on uber-athleticism, which means his game can translate well as he ages (see: Jordan and Kobe as prime examples). He just needs discipline and if playing by Kobe finally gets him that, then I'm all for it in 2014.
gill

Postby Aonex on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:37 pm

Considering what happened in NY with D'Antoni and Carmelo, I'm guessing we'd have to replace our coach before he comes here.
In the real world, the day Steph awoke at 9 a.m. to begin his Ustream show, Kobe Bryant probably awoke at the same time, even if it was 6 a.m. in California, and lifted weights.
Aonex

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:39 pm

If for some reason Melo actually becomes the guy the FO wants to go all out for I think I may have to stop watching this team, that would be the final straw for me
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby trodgers on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Do not want.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:47 pm

If the Knicks don't make it out of the East this season I think Melo is a very serious possibility.. He's probably the best player in the league that has a really close friendship with Kobe.. I always liked Melo's game & think under Kobe's wing he could be our 2nd star on a championship team.. If we could afford to wait for Durant to opt out in 15 that would obviously be the best case, but if we bring in Melo & win a ring next year or atleast go further than OKC, that'd be sick to sell Durant on a Kobe/Melo/Durant big 3.. Yeah yeah I know they'd need 3 balls to make it work etc, but I disagree.. I think that big 3 would compliment each other better than Miami's. We'd be unstoppable.
lakersin4

Postby kblo247 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:08 pm

Rally shocking? Nope. Kobe has always used the phrase "my little brother" and Melo said I love Kobe to Sager. They have a friendship beyond the courts from team usa and spent their time together. Their kids during all star weekend was seen together and LaLa posted Instagram pictures of Kobe, Melo, and the kids spending the day together while her and Vanessa hung out.

This is why I keep saying the 14 plan is simply take a shot at Melo thru Kobe.

Likewise its why not doing Bynum for Melo was stupid. If we had just did the deal in 2011 we would have been in a better spot with Melo at the 3, LO in his best year at 4, Pau at 5, Kobe and Fish on the perimeter, and MWP off the bench. Thus we wouldn't be trying to put them together 4 years and a failed waiting for Bynum to get healthy and grow up or take a shot at Dwight plan later
kblo247

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:19 pm

kblo247 wrote:Rally shocking? Nope. Kobe has always used the phrase "my little brother" and Melo said I love Kobe to Sager. They have a friendship beyond the courts from team usa and spent their time together. Their kids during all star weekend was seen together and LaLa posted Instagram pictures of Kobe, Melo, and the kids spending the day together while her and Vanessa hung out.

This is why I keep saying the 14 plan is simply take a shot at Melo thru Kobe.

Likewise its why not doing Bynum for Melo was stupid. If we had just did the deal in 2011 we would have been in a better spot with Melo at the 3, LO in his best year at 4, Pau at 5, Kobe and Fish on the perimeter, and MWP off the bench. Thus we wouldn't be trying to put them together 4 years and a failed waiting for Bynum to get healthy and grow up or take a shot at Dwight plan later

I think a big part of why we waited for Dwight instead of going after Melo was because we also had the CP3 plan at the time.. Dwight makes much more sense with CP3 & Kobe than Melo would have, they had no way to know Stern would decide to play god. But we can play the what if game all day.. What if instead of just pouting after the CP3 veto we went ahead & sent Pau to Houston for Dragic/Martin/Scola? Do we end up being the team that flips Martin for Harden? Either way we'd be much better.. Or how about what if we took the package from Philly instead of bringing in Denver? Iggy, Harkless, Vucevic sounds pretty good right about now.
lakersin4

Postby CGrand81 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:26 pm

No Melo, no way.

You are not going to win with this guy as your #1, the same guy who got knocked out in the first round 8 out of his 10 seasons, the career 39% from the field in the post-season, he fades away in the playoffs. He's a glorified chucker, a bigger, more versatile form of AI. If he could dominate the ball less and play as a #2, he'd be one of the best side-kicks ever, but that is not going to happen.
CGrand81

Postby WilliamHaven on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:33 pm

i'm sure if we went after carmelo it would be as a piece of a larger puzzle, not just him.

who exactly do we go for if not him? wait for kyrie?? that may be an even bigger question mark then lebron coming here. we need a superstar, and there aren't exactly a lot of "franchise players" available, by Lakers standards. unless we wait for someone to be disgruntled and trade for one.
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby The Rock on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:35 pm

If Dirk can win a ring, Melo can win a ring. Theyre not perfect, theyre both flawed in some ways but they do have the intangibles you want in a superstar. They want to take the big shot and theyre not afraid of the moment.

Props to sidthekid871
The Rock
CL Twitter Team

Postby chingy248 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:35 pm

I bet Melo is drooling over the opportunity to reunite

chingy248

Postby last stand on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:40 pm

I think it's pretty much a shoe in melo opts out

Does he come here? Maybe. Depends how Kobe looks this season along with Nash.

Though ideally Nash retires and we can sign melo and someone else
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby OX1947 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:43 pm

what is the rule on qualifying offer? John Wall is due for that next year. Can he decline and become a free agent?
OX1947

Postby lakerfan2 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:45 pm

Well, isn't D'Antoni's contract with us up in 2014 as well?

Perhaps we bring back Rambis in 2014 and go back to the Triangle around Melo, which would be a VERY effective system for his type of game, EVEN at 30. He's no Kobe, but, he still has a lot of game left. He just hasn't had the right coach to put him right. Karl? MDA?

Y'all crazy if you DON'T want the opportunity to watch Kobe, Melo and another star together. We'd be right back in it rather than wading in troubled waters for the next 3-5 years.
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:45 pm

I think people are looking at this the wrong way.. Noone is saying Melo can step in & be the man after Kobe leaves, but I think he can step in to Pau's old spot & be the #2 that gets Kobe another ring or 2. That would make us a much more attractive team to another star free agent who may have what it takes to be the #1 next to Melo & keep us contending after Kobe hangs em up.

Also, I don't think the D'antoni issue is that big.. If he's a dealbreaker & there are better coaches out there, it won't hurt as much to let him go at the end of his deal.. Hopefully Chicago keeps pushing Thibs out the door & we offer him the moon when he hits the market.
lakersin4

Postby Finwë on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:51 pm

CGrand81 wrote: If he could dominate the ball less and play as a #2, he'd be one of the best side-kicks ever, but that is not going to happen.

Maybe playing with Kobe would make that happen though. If Kobe's back healthy and @ a high level, you can be assured he won't take a back seat to Melo. They'd probably take a similar amount of shots, and it's as close as Melo gets to being a side-kick / dominates the ball less.
I think that could work (offensively). Two guys that can really create their own shots, that can draw double teams, that can get hot at any time, that can make clutch plays. With good coaching (might be an issue :man10: ), that could be a good fit
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
Finwë

Postby Snake Eyes on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:52 pm

lakerfan2 wrote:Well, isn't D'Antoni's contract with us up in 2014 as well?

2015 I believe. He signed a 3 year deal. I don't think he lasts that long. We'll be going in a new direction next offseason. I assume that means coaching too.
Snake Eyes

Postby Tobias Funke on Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:55 pm

Im inclined to agree with lakersin4 on his post just above.

Normally Id say pass immediately on Melo, but I cant imagine that if Kobe was indeed hatching a plan that it would be to bring Melo here as the leader of a team. Maybe as a second or third option depending on who else he'd be recruiting (even if he wouldn't straight up say this to Melo), but Kobe wouldn't bring Melo to LA and say "this is the guy to follow me". No way.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby The Laker Link on Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:00 pm

jlkr wrote:Not going to make too much of this one. Recall a few summers back when Melo and CP3 were tight. And nothing came of that one. 'sides, Melo is a ball-dominant player, how's that going to play with ball-dominant Kobe and ball-dominant Nash?

They are friends having dinner together; I wouldn't read any more into it.

I know the biggest argument that has been made about Melo is his ball-dominance, but I'm curious still since Kobe has been mentioning he wants to facilitate more. Maybe Kobe will recruit Melo for that. It'd be cool if Kobe did and started scoring 15 to 20 while letting Melo go for 40 a game. Be interesting. I hope Kobe recruits a lot next year and gets us some big boys.

I'm still picturing like Wall, Kobe, Melo, Cousins, and Pau line-up next year and I think it would be nice.
The Laker Link

Next

Return to Lakers Discussion