MWPeace Discussion: Big Apple Bound

Re: Metta Looks In Good Shape During Recent Workout

Postby nthydro on Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:35 am

Kobe8Fan wrote:
Metta Looks In Good Shape During Recent Workout

By Mark Medina
September 26, 2012, 1:05 p.m.

Over and over again, Lakers forward Metta World Peace kept bullying his way into the post.

He moved quickly. He positioned himself using his solid frame. He caught the entry passes and threw a medicine ball in the basket with purpose. Throughout the whole routine, Lakers assistant coach Darvin Ham instructed World Peace on how to better angle himself in the post.

World Peace's workout last week at the Lakers' practice facility in El Segundo appeared nothing more than what you'd normally see just before training camp starts. But that still marks an accomplishment for World Peace.

Last year, he reported to camp weighing 268 pounds and with a nerve problem in his back. Because the Lakers' training staff couldn't work with the players during the NBA lockout, World Peace feared any outside medical help or additional practice could aggravate his injury. Hence, he spent training camp and the beginning of the NBA season working his way back into shape after the staff treated his injury.

That won't be an issue for the 2012-13 campaign.

World Peace has said he's held his weight to around 255 pounds during the off-season. When I watched him work out in July at UCLA and last week at the Lakers' facility, he appeared more mobile.

Of course, that doesn't guarantee World Peace will have a miraculous season.

After averaging a career-low 7.7 points on 39.4% shooting last season, World Peace will have to prove he can hit outside shots with consistency. And with the Lakers featuring a star-studded lineup of Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol, he will somehow have to carve out an offensive niche by scoring off hustle points.

He'll also have to prevent what may be a diminished offensive role from detracting his focus, and ensure he's in control of his emotions -- something he failed to do when he gave Oklahoma City guard James Harden a concussion after delivering a vicious elbow.

On the other hand, World Peace's improved physical condition should help in a lot of areas.

He appears to be in a better position to make elite scorers such as LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony work harder for their points. They may still win the one-on-one matchups, but it shouldn't be as lopsided as in the past.

World Peace will likely have more spring in his legs when he, for better or worse, launches shots from three-point range. If he has opportunities to work in the post, he should have an easier time using his quickness and strength to set himself up for easy baskets.

And don't be surprised if World Peace still manages to throw down a few dunks again too.

How this will play out remains to be seen. World Peace, after all, excels at being unpredictable.

But if this latest snapshot is any indication, World Peace's strong conditioning this off-season should have the Lakers feeling optimistic that their eccentric forward will give them plenty to celebrate when he steps on the court.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakersnow ... ?track=rss

He looks lighter than 255lbs. Just looking at his face it looks like he lost 20lbs. Should help him big time on the defensive end.
nthydro

Re: Metta World Peace Discussion

Postby Doc Brown on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:41 am

Metta WorldPeace ‏@MettaWorldPeace
This year I'm coming in to camp at 255lbs I'll start regular season at about 248.. I'm came in last year 274. Finished at 256.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby therealdeal on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:18 am

274???

Holy CRAP! He was that heavy?? That's crazy...
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:20 am

Just knock down your open three-point shot, Ron.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby KB24 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:23 am

He looks cluncky as always in that workout video...

slim but awkward.

"It is not how big you are, it is how big you play"
"Basketball doesn't build character. It reveals it"
"Be strong in body, clean in mind, lofty in ideals"
KB24
Site Admin

Postby gcclaker on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:41 am

KB24 wrote:He looks cluncky as always in that workout video...

slim but awkward.

I don't think he'll shed that bull in a china shop game of his. Let's hope he gets in some sort of rhytmn offensively so that he is not a liability there. His defense is the last of my concerns.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:26 am

he'll always give 100% effort every game and that's all you can ask of him I think. last season he had the nerve thing but still, other than Kobe, was the only player to bring it every game. he was trying you could tell just had no lift and was obviously not in shape. come April when he was healthy and when someone had to step up in Kobe's absence he did big time for us.

I think just being healthy and actually be able to jump will make all the difference. he'll make his 3's and also get in the lane. defense will always be there healthy or not but now that he is he'll be playing elite defense yet again.
Ariza3

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:33 pm

He looks in great shape.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Ariza3 on Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:51 pm

"i dont even want guys to get to dwight. i dont want guys to have a chance to get to dwight. thats my goal this year. youre not even making it to dwight; you gotta get passed me." :jam2:
Ariza3

Postby XXIV on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:37 pm

Ariza3 wrote:"i dont even want guys to get to dwight. i dont want guys to have a chance to get to dwight. thats my goal this year. youre not even making it to dwight; you gotta get passed me." :jam2:

Definitely a great statement by Metta. It should be very entertaining seeing Metta and Dwight anchoring the defense this year, we should be one of the best, if not the best, defensive team in the league this season.
XXIV

Postby Tragic on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:57 pm

Ariza3 wrote:"i dont even want guys to get to dwight. i dont want guys to have a chance to get to dwight. thats my goal this year. youre not even making it to dwight; you gotta get passed me." :jam2:

My favorite quote from the whole day. :jam2:
Tragic

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:57 am

Mason and Ireland [Metta World Peace]

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/losangeles/play?id=8450151
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:05 am

XXIV wrote:

Definitely a great statement by Metta. It should be very entertaining seeing Metta and Dwight anchoring the defense this year, we should be one of the best, if not the best, defensive team in the league this season.

A reborn Metta... A more inspired Pau (who's an underrated man defender) and a more confident, fresher Kobe? Our defense should look worlds better this season. Just worlds better. In fact that should be the first thing to click, not the offense. We had this discussion earlier in the summer when all of this went down.

I think defensively we're going to look really sharp. Especially since two of our first five are defensively focused and bring it on that end every single night. When you consider those two are in the top 10 defensively, that's an amazing concept. I think Metta is going to make a huge difference for this team this season. I can't wait.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:05 am

Jeff Miller of the Orange County Register wrote:Hoping to play big from the start of the season this time, Metta World Peace arrived for the opening of camp smaller.

He reported Monday that he’s 255 pounds, down from 274 when last season tipped off.

“So, I’m great,” World Peace announced. “I can get to the basket any time I want. I can’t wait. They can’t do anything about it.”

Getting to the basket is great, but the Lakers are more concerned about World Peace stopping the opposition from getting to the basket.

After three solid games early, World Peace’s 2011-12 season went soft. Very soft. He had an 0 for 8 shooting effort against Denver, went 0 for 14 on 3-point tries during another 8-game stretch and played only eight minutes in a January loss against Orlando.

It wasn’t until late February that World Peace’s play picked up and became consistent.

“Last year, in April, I played better,” he said. “I was in shape. The beginning of the season I was playing horrible. But this year, it’s going to be extended. I’m going to be there contributing to my team in a big way.”

Asked how he regained his form over the summer, World Peace said, “It was the MWP workout. The Metta World Peace workout. MWPworkout.com. That’s what did it for me.”
JSM

Postby JSM on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:07 am

Matt Moore of CBS Sports wrote:Metta World Peace is the Ringo of the Lakers' starting unit. I don't know how you split the the other three Beatles between the other four starters, but MWP is definitely Ringo. And the way you know he's Ringo is that he says things like this. From media day via the L.A. Times:

"There will be no problems because we're like the Care Bears," World Peace said. "We love each other, we care for each other, we're here on this Earth as one, to love each other and . . ."

via A Lakers title? Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard can get it, together - latimes.com.

So that's pretty much the most MWP thing he could say. An absurdist simile, a naive interpretation of the world and sports teams from one of the most violent figures in the NBA's history, and an incorrect assumption that the Lakers will somehow be above ego.

But then, it's Metta World Peace. What else would we expect? Heck, it's not even the craziest thing MWP has said this month.

Also, I now have the image of a beam of light coming out of his stomach in the shape of Queensbridge.

:man10:
JSM

Postby therealdeal on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:32 am

Matt Moore seems like he doesn't know whether to hate on him or love him.

Fantastic.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby khmrP on Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:42 am

looks great!
khmrP

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:20 pm

Wonder how long before the Sportnet producers (or whatever) announce they'll be following MWP around 24-7 for a reality show.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby Texas Lakers Fan on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:28 pm

Metta is freaking awesome. I don't know how you cannot love this guy.
Texas Lakers Fan

Postby Ariza3 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:31 pm

imagine if he's able to do even just some of these things this season for us defensively...offense would just be a cherry on top.
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:04 am

"i havent seen him in this great of shape since indiana" - Kobe
Ariza3

Postby therealdeal on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:06 am

He's become totally lost in our shuffle here. The attention is already 99.6% focused on the Big 4 and he's already a side story.

I wonder how long it takes before he needs some attention. I feel like after his best off-season as a Laker, pretty much everyone has forgotten about him already.
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator

Postby kray28 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:09 am

Ron will get his attention out on the court...for the first since he's been a Laker, I think he's actually focused on his game.
kray28

Postby puffyusaf#2 on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:32 am

therealdeal wrote:He's become totally lost in our shuffle here. The attention is already 99.6% focused on the Big 4 and he's already a side story.

I wonder how long it takes before he needs some attention. I feel like after his best off-season as a Laker, pretty much everyone has forgotten about him already.

Ron is the one guy who can never get "lost" in the shuffle. Besides, Ron doesn't, in my opinion, look for attention on the court in that sense. Sometimes he takes "WTF" shots but he is mostly about locking down someone and winning. Off court he is a star and that won't change especially if he and Dwight can form Voltron and lock down teams like a farmer with a shotgun and three hot daughters.

Ron is going to have games where he goes off ofr 20ish just because he will be open and find his stroke. Ron, like Pau, just need to be fed every once in a while which should happen naturally with Nash on the floor.
For what it's worth, the Lakers also clinched the Pacific Division, an achievement Bryant dismissed by saying "We don't hang divisions." No, only the big NBA championship banners are considered wall-worthy for the Lakers.
puffyusaf#2

Postby Doc Brown on Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:42 am

What do you think the chances are, of getting 3 Lakers on the all defensive team this year?

D12 will make it for sure if he's healthy the entire season....

Kobe will make it based on nationally televised games where he shuts somebody down and gets it by rep.....

I think if Ron plays consistently throughout the entire season, at the level he was at, at the end of the season (pre-Elbow), I think he makes it .....
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

PreviousNext

Return to NBA Discussion