Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby gill on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:15 am

I can't believe Mike Brown got more of a chance when he was first hired.
User avatar
gill

 
Posts: 19353
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 8:57 am
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Canada

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby gcclaker on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:17 am

I'm good with it...not like I have a choice.
No siggie...
User avatar
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15212
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 9:35 am
Location: Laker Cyber Space

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:20 am

gill wrote:I can't believe Mike Brown got more of a chance when he was first hired.


Really? I feel like people flipped out like this for that hire too? I know I freaked out when they announced Brown.
Image
User avatar
phoenixrisingla

 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA!

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby gill on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:22 am

phoenixrisingla wrote:
gill wrote:I can't believe Mike Brown got more of a chance when he was first hired.


Really? I feel like people flipped out like this for that hire too? I know I freaked out when they announced Brown.


Dig up the Mike Brown thread and read at least the first two pages.
User avatar
gill

 
Posts: 19353
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 8:57 am
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Canada

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:23 am

gill wrote:I can't believe Mike Brown got more of a chance when he was first hired.


I think the reason a lot of people are upset is how the Lakers led everyone to believe Phil to LA was basically a done deal and every report was that it was Phil's job to lose.

Now it appears that wasn't even the case, they hired D'Antoni before Phil even had a chance to say yes.

That doesn't sit well with a lot of people
User avatar
JoelMyersScrotalSack

 
Posts: 6778
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:10 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby TIME on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 am

therealdeal wrote:Image


Wow, how bad is this for therealdeal. Biggest development and dude can only post pictures. :man6:


Personally, I'm not thrilled with the hire, but I'm not on suicide watch either. I wanted Phil. Second choice would have been Sloan. Third would have been Shaw. The guy I really wanted originally is coaching the TWolves. D'Antoni was not on my radar.

But, I see how it can work. If Nate M signs on I'll be happier. I know a lot of guys are griefing Jim Buss for this, but I'm thinking this was more of a Jerry Buss thing. He has ALWAYS missed Showtime even through all the successful Phil years. This is the closest he can get with D'Antoni and Nash. Doc Buss has earned some fun for his twilight years. And who knows, maybe, just maybe with Kobe and Dwight in the mix they figure it all out.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9476
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby gill on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
gill wrote:I can't believe Mike Brown got more of a chance when he was first hired.


I think the reason a lot of people are upset is how the Lakers led everyone to believe Phil to LA was basically a done deal and every report was that it was Phil's job to lose.

Now it appears that wasn't even the case, they hired D'Antoni before Phil even had a chance to say yes.

That doesn't sit well with a lot of people


Then people have a lot of misplaced rage in this case
User avatar
gill

 
Posts: 19353
Joined: Mon May 03, 2004 8:57 am
Location: Middle of Nowhere, Canada

Re: Mike D'Antoni Trying To Add Nate McMillan To His Staff

Postby nthydro on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:25 am

Kobe8Fan wrote:
Mike D'Antoni Trying To Add Nate McMillan To His Staff

Ken Berger ‏@KBergCBS

Mike D'Antoni expected to reach out to fellow USA assistant Nate McMillan as potential defensive assistant, league source tells @CBSSports.


https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/status/268045447992590337


If this does happen I will feel much better. I cringe at the thought of our defense under D'Antoni. I could never stand stand the guy. He's classless and extremely temperamental. The only good thing about this signing is we didn't break the bank to get him. I wonder if $ was an issue with Phil?
nthydro

 
Posts: 1385
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:55 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby charvin on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:42 am

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
gill wrote:I can't believe Mike Brown got more of a chance when he was first hired.


I think the reason a lot of people are upset is how the Lakers led everyone to believe Phil to LA was basically a done deal and every report was that it was Phil's job to lose.

Now it appears that wasn't even the case, they hired D'Antoni before Phil even had a chance to say yes.

That doesn't sit well with a lot of people


I agree. It was painful to know that they traveled to visit Phil on Saturday, yet already made up their mind a day later on which coach was the best fit.

If you already know what you want, don't waste other people's time. To me, it hurt knowing Phil was going to give an answer today but they had moved on.
charvin

 
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby 100%effort on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:47 am

Welcome to the Lakers. Lets see what happens.
100%effort

 
Posts: 1247
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:46 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Mookie on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:51 am

Add Sasha Vujacic to the roster
User avatar
Mookie

 
Posts: 7160
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:14 pm
Location: North America

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Finwë on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:51 am

If you approach it with a "I thought we we're getting Phil Jackson" mentality, then you'll be disappointed and pissed with this decision. But if you go about it as in "we had Mike Brown and now we have Mike D'Antoni", then you should be kinda excited.

When we got Howard, and our "superteam" was formed, almost every laker fan was extremely excited and had incredibly high hopes for the team. And that was with Mike Brown as head coach, who most of us knew wasn't nearly good enough. Still, we felt that, with time, the team's talent and IQ would be a force to be reckoned with.
We started out awful, and fired Brown, who was the team's weakest link. Now we have a better coach, and the same team we all believed in. They have a few games under the belt, but due to injuries and rotation issues, the starting unit and the bench players still lack some cohesiveness and chemistry. We ditched the needlessly complex system that was haulting our progress (because it confused our players and hid the talents of some of them) and now we're implementing one that is simpler and freer, but one that can be just as or more effective. This is the same team we all felt could go all the way, but with a better coach. So we should be optimistic.

Regarding our team's balance: Just as it's overly optimistic to say our team will be as effective as his Suns teams on O, it would be shortsighted to say we'll be just as bad defensively (and btw, those Suns teams weren't that bad on D, that's been exaggerated over and over). I expect us to be good on both ends, better on O, but not bad on D. We have experienced guys, champions. We have physical freaks of nature. We have legitimate closers, versatile big men, hustle guys, great rebounding and high IQ. We should be fine.

Obviously D'Antoni isn't ideal, but he's still a superior coach than Brown, and that's huge. Our stars really like the guy and approve of him. Our FO chose him over all others in a time where they couldn't afford to make any more mistakes. It's understandable to be doubtful and worried, I am, but they all trusted that MDA was the guy, and so should we, at least for a while until we've played some games!
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby last stand on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:53 am

TIME wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Image


Wow, how bad is this for therealdeal. Biggest development and dude can only post pictures. :man6:


Personally, I'm not thrilled with the hire, but I'm not on suicide watch either. I wanted Phil. Second choice would have been Sloan. Third would have been Shaw. The guy I really wanted originally is coaching the TWolves. D'Antoni was not on my radar.

But, I see how it can work. If Nate M signs on I'll be happier. I know a lot of guys are griefing Jim Buss for this, but I'm thinking this was more of a Jerry Buss thing. He has ALWAYS missed Showtime even through all the successful Phil years. This is the closest he can get with D'Antoni and Nash. Doc Buss has earned some fun for his twilight years. And who knows, maybe, just maybe with Kobe and Dwight in the mix they figure it all out.


This. I do think jerry was big in this. Especially with the clippers emerging as one of the NBAs most exciting
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

 
Posts: 7502
Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:43 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:55 am

lakerswiz wrote:
retro_nights wrote:Nate McMilan isn't even a good defensive coach.

I want to be proven wrong by these coaching hires, but it seems like thats why they hired Mike, to prove Phil wrong.

McMillian is being looked at as a defense savior for no other reason that Mike D'Antoni having no clue what to do. There's going to be a helluva lot of people claiming he's a defensive coach and this and that and they have no idea who he is or how he coaches. Just because we have a 'defensive' coach doesn't mean anything will be solved. Hell, most of the time the 'defensive' coach's job is to do nothing but keep track of specific stats and then tell the players where they're lacking.

There's nothing to back up the statements painting McMillian as some specialty defensive coach other than hope that it pans out.

I'd prefer Nate to have taken over the team than Pringles though.


+1. Nate's not exactly known for his defense. I would preferred him as head coach over Pringles.

But mostly I'm angered that the Buss family was sold on this guy and didn't even bother to meet with Phil's agent today. Even then, even if they already knew that Phil wanted more than they would give (veto power, big pay check, time off from travel), they should at least have called Sloan up. Or at least interviewed more guys than just Dumbleavy.

This is pretty lousy hire no matter how you look at it.

We used to laugh about 'Antoni (no D). Now some of you guys are just drinking the Kool Aid that Jim Buss is handing out to you? This is a sad state.
Last edited by Lakerjones on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15220
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby phoenixrisingla on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:56 am

I'm continually shocked by the idea some people have that you need to support any decision made by the Lakers no matter how unwise it seems.

Although maybe they're just here to counter-balance the 100% negative people? A little yin and yang type thing?

Hard to see a silver lining on this one though. Upgrading your rusty bicycle to a used kia doesnt get you the checkered flag in the grand prix.
Image
User avatar
phoenixrisingla

 
Posts: 2277
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:49 am
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA!

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby therealdeal on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 am

Finwë wrote:If you approach it with a "I thought we we're getting Phil Jackson" mentality, then you'll be disappointed and pissed with this decision. But if you go about it as in "we had Mike Brown and now we have Mike D'Antoni", then you should be kinda excited.

When we got Howard, and our "superteam" was formed, almost every laker fan was extremely excited and had incredibly high hopes for the team. And that was with Mike Brown as head coach, who most of us knew wasn't nearly good enough. Still, we felt that, with time, the team's talent and IQ would be a force to be reckoned with.
We started out awful, and fired Brown, who was the team's weakest link. Now we have a better coach, and the same team we all believed in. They have a few games under the belt, but due to injuries and rotation issues, the starting unit and the bench players still lack some cohesiveness and chemistry. We ditched the needlessly complex system that was haulting our progress (because it confused our players and hid the talents of some of them) and now we're implementing one that is simpler and freer, but one that can be just as or more effective. This is the same team we all felt could go all the way, but with a better coach. So we should be optimistic.

Regarding our team's balance: Just as it's overly optimistic to say our team will be as effective as his Suns teams on O, it would be shortsighted to say we'll be just as bad defensively (and btw, those Suns teams weren't that bad on D, that's been exaggerated over and over). I expect us to be good on both ends, better on O, but not bad on D. We have experienced guys, champions. We have physical freaks of nature. We have legitimate closers, versatile big men, hustle guys, great rebounding and high IQ. We should be fine.

Obviously D'Antoni isn't ideal, but he's still a superior coach than Brown, and that's huge. Our stars really like the guy and approve of him. Our FO chose him over all others in a time where they couldn't afford to make any more mistakes. It's understandable to be doubtful and worried, I am, but they all trusted that MDA was the guy, and so should we, at least for a while until we've played some games!

Image
Stu : "Yeah, that's an old fashioned whoopin'."
therealdeal
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 40417
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:57 am

phoenixrisingla wrote:I'm continually shocked by the idea some people have that you need to support any decision made by the Lakers no matter how unwise it seems.

Although maybe they're just here to counter-balance the 100% negative people? A little yin and yang type thing?

Hard to see a silver lining on this one though. Upgrading your rusty bicycle to a used kia doesnt get you the checkered flag in the grand prix.


^^ For real. :bang:
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15220
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby CaCHooKa Man on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:58 am

for the most part nate mcmillans teams have been below average to horrible defensively
User avatar
CaCHooKa Man
Human Highlight Reel
 
Posts: 20547
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:22 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby kray28 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:01 pm

I am just amazed as to how you can hire a guy based on one phone interview.

Is this the Twilight Zone? Who is actually running the flagship franchise of the NBA?

Just as an example, for my current job, I had two phone interviews, then I met with the group head at an O'Hare Airport Lounge in Chicago, and then I flew into DC and did the full interview with the entire team. Four separate sessions over 1-2 weeks. The last session, it was a six hour interview...with several grillings/interrogations that made me think I wouldn't get the job.
Image
User avatar
kray28

 
Posts: 21238
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 8:16 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:02 pm

charvin wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
gill wrote:I can't believe Mike Brown got more of a chance when he was first hired.


I think the reason a lot of people are upset is how the Lakers led everyone to believe Phil to LA was basically a done deal and every report was that it was Phil's job to lose.

Now it appears that wasn't even the case, they hired D'Antoni before Phil even had a chance to say yes.

That doesn't sit well with a lot of people


I agree. It was painful to know that they traveled to visit Phil on Saturday, yet already made up their mind a day later on which coach was the best fit.

If you already know what you want, don't waste other people's time. To me, it hurt knowing Phil was going to give an answer today but they had moved on.


The Lakers FO, Jimmy mainly, deserves all the grief they are going to get over this one from the fans. All of it.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15220
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Lakerjones on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:03 pm

kray28 wrote:I am just amazed as to how you can hire a guy based on one phone interview.

Is this the Twilight Zone? Who is actually running the flagship franchise of the NBA?

Just as an example, for my current job, I had two phone interviews, then I met with the group head at an O'Hare Airport Lounge in Chicago, and then I flew into DC and did the full interview with the entire team. Four separate sessions over 1-2 weeks. The last session, it was a six hour interview...with several grillings/interrogations that made me think I wouldn't get the job.


^^ It's easy when you've already made up your mind that the guy in question is the one you are going with.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 15220
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:37 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby Juronimo on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:05 pm

I guess I can't call him Damphony any more. I'll try not to look at this negatively and give the new coach the benefit of the doubt for now.
Image

Ferguson, we hear you.
RIP Mike Brown.
User avatar
Juronimo

 
Posts: 6597
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:20 pm
Location: Fist in the air on a quest for justice

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby 432J on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:08 pm

kray28 wrote:I am just amazed as to how you can hire a guy based on one phone interview.

Is this the Twilight Zone? Who is actually running the flagship franchise of the NBA?

Just as an example, for my current job, I had two phone interviews, then I met with the group head at an O'Hare Airport Lounge in Chicago, and then I flew into DC and did the full interview with the entire team. Four separate sessions over 1-2 weeks. The last session, it was a six hour interview...with several grillings/interrogations that made me think I wouldn't get the job.

hired based on a phone interview, in the middle of the night!

instead of a willing and interested better candidate who just happens to be the greatest coach of all time. great job jim buss! i wonder how the son of the greatest owner in basketball history could turn out to be such a freakin idiot!
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4786
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby jlkr on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:10 pm

My take vs. Kray is that a lot of guys already knew D'Antoni whereas Kray was unknown to the people who hired him.

I preferred Phil if we couldn't get Adelman. But D'Antoni is not as bad as many are making it out to be. For instance, D'Antoni knows pick and roll and he will have the best "roll" man in the league to work with his favorite PG. Plus Kobe off the ball to do damage if the other team tries to shut down Nash-Howard or Nash-Gasol. OK this team can't do 7 seconds or less that much, but they can work the pick and roll to death in a half court game. Which is what the playoffs are all about anyway.

Defensively, his best PHX teams were in the middle of the pack defensively when pace is taken into account. Plus he never had a stopper like Howard back then. So I don't think they will be that bad at defense, not when they're having more fun than they did under Brown.

So, on the whole, as someone who never liked the Brown hire, I'm OK with this one.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
User avatar
jlkr

 
Posts: 4201
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: your friendly neighborhood bar

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby TIME on Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:11 pm

Lakerjones wrote:
charvin wrote:
JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
gill wrote:I can't believe Mike Brown got more of a chance when he was first hired.


I think the reason a lot of people are upset is how the Lakers led everyone to believe Phil to LA was basically a done deal and every report was that it was Phil's job to lose.

Now it appears that wasn't even the case, they hired D'Antoni before Phil even had a chance to say yes.

That doesn't sit well with a lot of people


I agree. It was painful to know that they traveled to visit Phil on Saturday, yet already made up their mind a day later on which coach was the best fit.

If you already know what you want, don't waste other people's time. To me, it hurt knowing Phil was going to give an answer today but they had moved on.


The Lakers FO, Jimmy mainly, deserves all the grief they are going to get over this one from the fans. All of it.


LJ, I share 100% your disdain for Jim Buss' role in the Mike Brown hire over Adelman. BUT, other than your own sneaking suspicion has there been anything at all leaked yet that pins this on Jim? I haven't heard anything like that yet.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
User avatar
TIME
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 9476
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:06 am

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 12 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.