Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby JSM on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 am

Adding Rambis is huge, he's a great assistant. I don't want him as a head coach, not unless Phil is sitting behind the bench whispering in his ear in a Tex-esque role. But having him working on D and with the bigs will be a big asset for this team.

This whole Phil - Jim - MDA - Rambis saga plays perfectly with this smiley... :soap:

I don't think Phil will coach again, but I could see him involved in training camp, implementing an improved system, in a some sort of front office role, even a Tex role (without traveling with the team), or some combination of those.

I'm not sure Jimmy is quite ready for that move, but Dwight is at stake here. Depends how much he values D12. I guess we'll know by the end of the week just how serious he is about keeping him.
User avatar
JSM
ClubLakers.com Administrator
 
Posts: 94034
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2003 3:40 pm
Location: Atlanta

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:51 am

Weezy wrote:Lazenby with a another long rant

I don't know where Lazenby gets his stuff, but he says some interesting things. Like if we're stuck with 'Antoni, yeah, why can't they all work together? Don't know where gets the "Dwight don't want no part of a cow town" stuff, guess it was a joke. Meanwhile you have Woj posting a tweet with a link to an article on Houston being the frontrunner.

@WojYahooNBA: Y! Sources: Anchored as frontrunners, the Rockets will make the first free agency pitch to Dwight Howard. http://t.co/YVG1Uwh74s


Yeah that was funny and a lot of sensible stuff too. We can only hope. I wouldn't even hate Dan any more if he was collaborting in that way. They'd have to keep him from running our best players into the ground to save his job.
LTLakerFan

 
Posts: 6486
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44 pm
Location: SoCal

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:48 am

I love the potential influence that Rambis and Phil being at least somewhat involved has on keeping Dwight. But I worry that if they have managerial influence, they are going to want to keep Gasol. That's a big mistake IMO.
Image
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
User avatar
Punk-101

 
Posts: 13265
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Orange, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby revgen on Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:52 am

The problem I have with Lazenby's rant is that he only mentioned defense when it pertained to the triangle allowing players to run back easier. I don't buy it. Our defense was killing us last season and running the triangle isn't going to solve it completely. We need personnel upgrades at the player positions and among the coaching staff.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru
 
Posts: 21735
Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:53 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Rooscooter on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:54 am

revgen wrote:The problem I have with Lazenby's rant is that he only mentioned defense when it pertained to the triangle allowing players to run back easier. I don't buy it. Our defense was killing us last season and running the triangle isn't going to solve it completely. We need personnel upgrades at the player positions and among the coaching staff.


Our defensive issues were threefold: First is the fact that we are outmatched athletically at 4 positions on the floor all game..... This cannot be fixed by scheme or coach. Second, we have no bench to spell the starters to keep them fresh so they "rest" on the defensive end. Kobe, Pau and Nash were all nailed to the floor more often than not last year.... and this again is not something you can fix with scheme or coaching. Finally, it's an overall desire for a team to play great defense. Howard takes pride in it... he's overrated IMO but he takes tremendous pride in it. Other than him we don't have a defensive minded player in the group IMO.

Defense is a mindset by 5 guys to play as one unit. No one player can change that as we saw last year. For stretches we played adequate defense but mentally it isn't what most of our players wanted to do. I don't see coaching or a coach changing that unless we went with a guy like JVG.... and even he might have trouble getting a bunch of vets to want to play defense on every possession.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23048
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Weezy on Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:19 pm

@KamBrothers: I have to imagine the Lakers' reluctance to fire D'Antoni stems at least in part from concerns Dwight may leave either way. AK


'Antoni sucks either way, that's enough reason to fire him.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50881
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Finwë on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:43 pm

revgen wrote:The problem I have with Lazenby's rant is that he only mentioned defense when it pertained to the triangle allowing players to run back easier. I don't buy it. Our defense was killing us last season and running the triangle isn't going to solve it completely. We need personnel upgrades at the player positions and among the coaching staff.

Exactly. What's with people's obsession with the offense we run? Our D is the problem!
And no, a "better" offense won't lead to sufficiently good D (as some people may think). It's mostly about personnel (too many slow, unathletic and sometimes even uncommitted guys), and also we could improve our strategy on that end.
Last edited by Finwë on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Finwë on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Rooscooter wrote:
revgen wrote:The problem I have with Lazenby's rant is that he only mentioned defense when it pertained to the triangle allowing players to run back easier. I don't buy it. Our defense was killing us last season and running the triangle isn't going to solve it completely. We need personnel upgrades at the player positions and among the coaching staff.


Our defensive issues were threefold: First is the fact that we are outmatched athletically at 4 positions on the floor all game..... This cannot be fixed by scheme or coach. Second, we have no bench to spell the starters to keep them fresh so they "rest" on the defensive end. Kobe, Pau and Nash were all nailed to the floor more often than not last year.... and this again is not something you can fix with scheme or coaching. Finally, it's an overall desire for a team to play great defense. Howard takes pride in it... he's overrated IMO but he takes tremendous pride in it. Other than him we don't have a defensive minded player in the group IMO.

Defense is a mindset by 5 guys to play as one unit. No one player can change that as we saw last year. For stretches we played adequate defense but mentally it isn't what most of our players wanted to do. I don't see coaching or a coach changing that unless we went with a guy like JVG.... and even he might have trouble getting a bunch of vets to want to play defense on every possession.

This. I think you could say Ron was a guy who took pride in D. He wasn't particularly good at it this year, but still. He might be on his way out though.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Finwë on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:49 pm

Weezy wrote:
@KamBrothers: I have to imagine the Lakers' reluctance to fire D'Antoni stems at least in part from concerns Dwight may leave either way. AK


'Antoni sucks either way, that's enough reason to fire him.

Yeah, but you have to pay him and a new coach. And if Dwight leaves, we have no chance of achieving anything this year, so why spend the extra though?
I think what they are doing (holding all decisions until the Dwight situation is settled) is the way to go about it. It's what I'd do, and I hate D'Antoni as a coach.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Rooscooter on Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:51 pm

Finwë wrote:
Rooscooter wrote:
revgen wrote:The problem I have with Lazenby's rant is that he only mentioned defense when it pertained to the triangle allowing players to run back easier. I don't buy it. Our defense was killing us last season and running the triangle isn't going to solve it completely. We need personnel upgrades at the player positions and among the coaching staff.


Our defensive issues were threefold: First is the fact that we are outmatched athletically at 4 positions on the floor all game..... This cannot be fixed by scheme or coach. Second, we have no bench to spell the starters to keep them fresh so they "rest" on the defensive end. Kobe, Pau and Nash were all nailed to the floor more often than not last year.... and this again is not something you can fix with scheme or coaching. Finally, it's an overall desire for a team to play great defense. Howard takes pride in it... he's overrated IMO but he takes tremendous pride in it. Other than him we don't have a defensive minded player in the group IMO.

Defense is a mindset by 5 guys to play as one unit. No one player can change that as we saw last year. For stretches we played adequate defense but mentally it isn't what most of our players wanted to do. I don't see coaching or a coach changing that unless we went with a guy like JVG.... and even he might have trouble getting a bunch of vets to want to play defense on every possession.

This. I think you could say Ron was a guy who took pride in D. He wasn't particularly good at it this year, but still. He might be on his way out though.


Yeah... I missed Ron. His mind is there but the body isn't at this point any longer.

We need a mix of veterans and youth (that belongs at this level). The new CBA and lack of drafting have put us in a situation where we have the vets but no one else.
"If the past sits in judgment on the present, the future will be lost." Winston Churchill

“The prospect of domination of the nation's scholars by Federal employment, project allocations, and the power of money is ever present - and is gravely to be regarded." Dwight Eisenhower

"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it" Thomas Sowell
User avatar
Rooscooter

 
Posts: 23048
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:25 pm
Location: Chandler AZ and Andalué

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Helljumper on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:03 pm

Weezy wrote:
@KamBrothers: I have to imagine the Lakers' reluctance to fire D'Antoni stems at least in part from concerns Dwight may leave either way. AK


'Antoni sucks either way, that's enough reason to fire him.


True, but I feel that if Dwight leaves, we really need to blow up the team. Firing D'antoni without an indication that Dwight will be back might put us in the position where we're going to be forced into adding a second head coach to the payroll before really knowing what direction the roster's going in.

I've (semi)-jokingly said that we should/will get Phil back as head coach. But honestly, if Dwight's not sticking around, that doesn't make much sense. Why bring back Phil to coach a trainwreck in 2014, when our roster would end up being completely revamped in 2015 (in a way that may or may not be suitable to the triangle depending on what free agents are available)?
Image
User avatar
Helljumper

 
Posts: 14882
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 4:40 pm
Location: Riverside, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Weezy on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:04 pm

Finwë wrote:
Weezy wrote:
@KamBrothers: I have to imagine the Lakers' reluctance to fire D'Antoni stems at least in part from concerns Dwight may leave either way. AK


'Antoni sucks either way, that's enough reason to fire him.

Yeah, but you have to pay him and a new coach. And if Dwight leaves, we have no chance of achieving anything this year, so why spend the extra though?
I think what they are doing (holding all decisions until the Dwight situation is settled) is the way to go about it. It's what I'd do, and I hate D'Antoni as a coach.


Well I'm not really talking about changing the coach for a year, for this year only. I'm talking about finding our long term coach, our guy for the future, right now. By not firing 'Antoni you're only putting off the inevitable, he's not our future, and the sooner you get him out and start to change the culture of the team the better. Even if we're going nowhere next season, IMO you still want the seeds of the new coach and our future sown, it's a reason I was for hiring Shaw.
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50881
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Finwë on Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:47 pm

Weezy wrote:
Finwë wrote:
Weezy wrote:
@KamBrothers: I have to imagine the Lakers' reluctance to fire D'Antoni stems at least in part from concerns Dwight may leave either way. AK


'Antoni sucks either way, that's enough reason to fire him.

Yeah, but you have to pay him and a new coach. And if Dwight leaves, we have no chance of achieving anything this year, so why spend the extra though?
I think what they are doing (holding all decisions until the Dwight situation is settled) is the way to go about it. It's what I'd do, and I hate D'Antoni as a coach.


Well I'm not really talking about changing the coach for a year, for this year only. I'm talking about finding our long term coach, our guy for the future, right now. By not firing 'Antoni you're only putting off the inevitable, he's not our future, and the sooner you get him out and start to change the culture of the team the better. Even if we're going nowhere next season, IMO you still want the seeds of the new coach and our future sown, it's a reason I was for hiring Shaw.

I understand, and agree to an extent, I'm just saying it's also understandable that, if you're the FO, and D12 leaves, and you pretty much know that you won't be competing for anything real this season, and you're paying a bunch of lux tux, and you're giving money to small markert teams because of the new revenue sharing plan, maybe you rather wait it out a little more with the coach, because it'd mean another hit on your wallet. Who knows, maybe with another year on his belt D'Antoni finds his groove and ends up a solid coach. Unlikely, but still, it's not such a terrible scenario.
The bottom line is, is installing your new coach in a season without real hope and acclimating him to a roster that probably will be gone by the team you're a contender again worth the extra dough? I understand the value of wanting the "seeds of the new coach and our future sown", but If the FO doesn't think it's worth it, I think it's understandable.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Weezy on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:05 pm

That's a good point, our roster could look totally different in 2014. I still can't help but think with a new coach, the right coach, getting the culture changed now benefits the team, because the players that would stay would be used to the new coach and help the new teammates catch up, for example Kobe. Also, to my thinking we're wasting money on 'Antoni whether he's gone or he's still here. But again I see your point, and it's not my money so it's easy to say fire him and pay someone else, what's 6 mil to fire him and a few mil for the new guy in the grand scheme. I think Time Warner Cable and their billions invested in the Lakers might say the same. :man1:
User avatar
Weezy
CL Global Moderator
 
Posts: 50881
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:14 am
Location: Anaheim, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Plot on Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:13 pm

Finwë wrote:
revgen wrote:The problem I have with Lazenby's rant is that he only mentioned defense when it pertained to the triangle allowing players to run back easier. I don't buy it. Our defense was killing us last season and running the triangle isn't going to solve it completely. We need personnel upgrades at the player positions and among the coaching staff.

Exactly. What's with people's obsession with the offense we run? Our D is the problem!
And no, a "better" offense won't lead to sufficiently good D (as some people may think). It's mostly about personnel (too many slow, unathletic and sometimes even uncommitted guys), and also we could improve our strategy on that end.

While I also think personnel upgrades will be needed, an efficient offense still plays a part in defense because you want to do your best in limiting fastbreak opportunities for the opponent. The Lakers were one of the worst teams last season on turnovers. This was compounded further beacuase the Lakers were also one of worst teams at forcing turnovers. An offense that favors inside shots primarily should also be less vulnerable to leak outs than one that favors the perimeter.
User avatar
Plot

 
Posts: 553
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby bigdog2013 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:13 pm

even if we ran the triangle we would have the same amount of turnovers. Dwight got strip of the ball so many times in the post and kobe made so many turnovers.
bigdog2013

 
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:51 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby LooN3y on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:26 pm

bigdog2013 wrote:even if we ran the triangle we would have the same amount of turnovers. Dwight got strip of the ball so many times in the post and kobe made so many turnovers.




and you would know this how? im not a big fan of dwight, but dude was injured came off a spinal cord injury, and u had pau at the 3 pt line for most of the season, so basically pau's man would just come to double team because theres no reason to guard pau at the 3 pt line consistently.


and kobe? dude was playing basically 48 minutes a game, was freelancing and trying to take over games because we just didnt know what we were doing out there.


kobe had an absurdly great season for someone his age, especially a perimeter player


please do some more research or explain more than just saying "if they run they triangle theyll just turn it over alot again"


and if PJ is really consulting/taking some reigns over MDA Pau would be the initiator in the post, not dwight, not dwight that can't post, cant pass, cant shoot. dwights our defensive anchor.
User avatar
LooN3y

 
Posts: 879
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby charvin on Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:50 pm

Dwight's number of turnovers have not changed, injured or not. When he was injured this year, he still managed to average about the same amount of TO's as he did when he was healthy. The flaw is partially because of his mentality and part mechanics. I griped about Bynum not dunking it with force, but then I realized that he couldn't because his arms shoot straight up and he doesn't bend down to generate power. Howard, on the other hand, bends down to generate power and ends up having dunks with great force, but gives his defender(s) more time to strip him of the ball when he's gathering.

I cant' speak for everyone, but I think some people here think that is the primary cause of his TO's. Until he attempts to fix this, he will continue to dunk with authority, but also be prone to steals.
charvin

 
Posts: 541
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:53 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby lakersin4 on Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:03 pm

charvin wrote:Dwight's number of turnovers have not changed, injured or not. When he was injured this year, he still managed to average about the same amount of TO's as he did when he was healthy. The flaw is partially because of his mentality and part mechanics. I griped about Bynum not dunking it with force, but then I realized that he couldn't because his arms shoot straight up and he doesn't bend down to generate power. Howard, on the other hand, bends down to generate power and ends up having dunks with great force, but gives his defender(s) more time to strip him of the ball when he's gathering.

I cant' speak for everyone, but I think some people here think that is the primary cause of his TO's. Until he attempts to fix this, he will continue to dunk with authority, but also be prone to steals.

You think Dwight's going to give up highlight dunks to score more efficiently? I think the only major improvement Dwight is capable of is adding a jumper & improving his FT shooting because of that. He had a jumper for stretches in Orlando, I think he can get it back.
lakersin4

 
Posts: 2377
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Finwë on Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:12 pm

Plot wrote:
Finwë wrote:
revgen wrote:The problem I have with Lazenby's rant is that he only mentioned defense when it pertained to the triangle allowing players to run back easier. I don't buy it. Our defense was killing us last season and running the triangle isn't going to solve it completely. We need personnel upgrades at the player positions and among the coaching staff.

Exactly. What's with people's obsession with the offense we run? Our D is the problem!
And no, a "better" offense won't lead to sufficiently good D (as some people may think). It's mostly about personnel (too many slow, unathletic and sometimes even uncommitted guys), and also we could improve our strategy on that end.

While I also think personnel upgrades will be needed, an efficient offense still plays a part in defense because you want to do your best in limiting fastbreak opportunities for the opponent. The Lakers were one of the worst teams last season on turnovers. This was compounded further beacuase the Lakers were also one of worst teams at forcing turnovers. An offense that favors inside shots primarily should also be less vulnerable to leak outs than one that favors the perimeter.

I agree about the concept, just don't think it's an important factor.
Our defensive struggles were caused by:
-personnel issues: being too slow, basically. We also had a lot of health issues and that's plays a role.
-lack of the necessary defensive mindset -> great defensive teams have the personnel to play D, the system, but they also have guys committing to really play hard and go the extra mile on that end. It could be viewed as a "personnel issue" or as a coaching issue.
-system issues: our staff doesn't seem to emphasize D from a strategic standpoint. They made little adjustments and we struggled with the same sets all season. Our guys weren't really in sync, a lot of times didn't know where to move, when to switch, how to rotate, etc. That's coaching.
-perimeter oriented offense and turnovers, that led to fastbreak action, and our transition D was terrible.

I acknowledge it as a factor, just don't think it's that important. For once I want to hear chatter about coaches and their plans for our DEFENSE. Strategic and systematic stuff. Personnel stuff. I understand that talking about offense is more interesting for people, but it's just not what's important right now.
"The first time I ever saw my uniform hanging in the locker I put it on right away, and it just felt like I was putting on golden armour. From that day forward, I just called it 'the golden armour', it just felt like there was something mystical and magical about it" - Kobe Bryant.
User avatar
Finwë

 
Posts: 8079
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:32 pm

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby Kobe8Fan on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:04 pm

Bulls GM Says He Laid Off Tom Thibodeau's Top Assistant

DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) -- Chicago Bulls general manager Gar Forman insisted it was his call to let Tom Thibodeau's top assistant go and downplayed the idea there's friction with the coach.

The Bulls announced Monday that they were not renewing Ron Adams' contract for next season, raising a few eyebrows.

"The decision was made by me because I felt it was the best decision for the Bulls going forward," Forman said.

Why was it the best decision? Forman wouldn't say.

Adams rejoined the Bulls in 2010 after serving as an assistant with Oklahoma City following a five-year run in Chicago from 2003 to 2008. The way this move came down was unusual because head coaches generally set their staff, yet it was the general manager pulling the plug in this case.

"Here's what I don't want to get into," Forman said. "We make tens if not hundreds of decisions every year. I don't think we want to evaluate every decision, who's on board. We communicate about every decision, and at the end of the day, I've got to make the decisions I feel are best for this organization moving forward. We'll unite and we'll move forward. Tom makes the decisions on the floor. He's our head coach. I think he's as good a coach as there is in the NBA. He does a great job.

"Do I agree with absolutely every decision he makes?" he continued. "We'll communicate, probably not. But at the end of the day, I'm going to support the decisions he makes and I think he's going to support decisions that I make. As long as once they're made, we unite and move forward because the goal is to continue to get this team better and to compete for a championship."

Thibodeau praised Forman and his staff after the draft on Thursday night, and they're locked in for four more years after agreeing to an extension last fall. But that didn't come without a bump or two. Thibodeau waited until later in the season to sign the deal, saying some legal issues needed to be ironed out.

Throw in Derrick Rose's season-long recovery from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee and there was no shortage of side stories as the Bulls clawed their way to 45 wins and a second-round playoff loss to the champion Miami Heat.

Now, this.

Forman found himself answering questions about an assistant coach on the day the Bulls introduced first-round draft pick Tony Snell of New Mexico and second-rounder Erik Murphy of Florida. Thibodeau was not available to reporters to discuss the Adams move, though he said in a team statement: "Ron is a great friend, an outstanding coach and I will miss him."

Forman said he and his coach "have a very good working relationship." He also said the GM has "final say" over assistants and that the rest of the coaching staff remains in place.

As for free agency, the Bulls have no cap room and are in luxury-tax territory, so they don't have much flexibility.

"I think it's still a feeling-out period as far as what the market is and what players are available," Forman said. "At this point, we're limited because of being in the tax. But within that, I think we'll look at every avenue we have to move forward."

He said the Bulls did reach out to point guard Nate Robinson's representatives and the team will wait and see "where the market's going." The same goes for Marco Belinelli.

There's a good chance Robinson could be squeezed out with Rose returning and veteran Kirk Hinrich and 2012 first-round pick Marquis Teague in place. Belinelli might find a bigger role and a bigger paycheck with another team. Forman would like to bring back veteran center Nazr Mohammed.

"Really like Nazr," he said. "First of all, it's good to have veterans like Nazr that have been around the league, that understand what it takes to be successful. He's great in our locker room. I think he's great on the practice floor, and I think he was very good in games, especially late in the year."


http://www.nba.com/2013/news/07/01/bull ... index.html

Maybe the Lakers should hire him to D'Antoni's coaching staff.
User avatar
Kobe8Fan

 
Posts: 10279
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:49 am
Location: Covina, CA

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby lotus on Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:19 pm

Kobe8Fan wrote:Here's a profile on Johnny Davis for those who don't know who he is.

Image

An avid golfer, Davis has recorded three hole-in-ones.


http://www.nba.com/coachfile/johnny_davis/

Johnny Davis? Hmmmm... Impressive
lotus

 
Posts: 1865
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 8:15 am

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby 432J on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:08 pm

all i know about johnny davis was that he coached the magic for a brief period and they were HORRIBLE
Image
User avatar
432J

 
Posts: 4797
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 7:54 pm
Location: Sherbrooke, Quebec

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby XXIV on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:36 pm

Very odd that a gm would take control of a head coaches staff especially if that coach is Tom Thibodeau. Hopefully that means Tom quits or doesn't resign in the near future and he can join us here in LA. :man1:
XXIV

 
Posts: 6390
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: Rambis to join staff? (120)

Postby TaniBoyz on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:19 am

really wish they had fired MDA during the meeting
Image
User avatar
TaniBoyz

 
Posts: 839
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:29 pm
Location: The Philippines

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests

cron
Advertise Here | Privacy Policy | ©2008 Sculu Sports. Come Strong.