Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby last stand on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:24 am

The Rock wrote:We need more shooters...send Earl Clark packing and sign Delonte or Pietrus

can we send ebanks and morris away as well.
everyone has their top 10 lists of women heres mine

1. emma watson
2. Natalie Portman
3. Mila Kunis
4. Emma Stone
5. Megan Fox
6. jessica biel
7. Teresa Palmer
8. Katy Perry
9. jessica alba
10. Olivia Wilde
last stand

Postby dj vitus on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:32 am

Greatest of All Time wrote:

Pau Gasol camping in the corner...

They had Amare camp in the corner and spot up for open 18-footers. But I see your point; I agree that Pau needs more low-post action so he can build confidence now that Bynum isn't hogging all the space.

And wow, Coach Nick put that out really quick.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Postby gcclaker on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:36 am

kray28 wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:Can we send Blake/Ebanks to Cleveland for a Trade Exception/Cash Considerations/2nd Round Draft Pick?

Then sign Pietrus.

Hill/Jamison/Pietrus/Meeks/Duhon

I'd live with that.

So to recap:

In: Pringles and Peaches.
Out: Bagel and fake-Trevor

I honestly don't understand why a grown a*** man would want to live with a nickname of Peaches. Seriously... :man10:

That line up suggested would be competent enough to hold leads or keep it from completely dwindling away.
No siggie...
gcclaker
CL Global Moderator

Postby dj vitus on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:46 am

Vasashi17 wrote:
dj vitus wrote:What's interesting is that D'Antoni's Knicks were the 5th best defensive team in the league when they got Chandler. When Howard gets into better shape, we can hope to get close.

If we end up as the NBA's premier offensive juggernaut team, our defense only needs to rank around the middle or higher to have a good shot at the ring. Teams like Miami take pride in their defense, but if they can't guard us, that just may be our only hope.

I see where you are going, but its slightly misleading. With D'Antoni NY was 18-24...he stepped down and Woodson (the defensive assistant) became the coach. Changed the philosophy and they became 5th in the league.

I know that Dwight will make D'Antoni's team look good defensively. But you can't have one guy to depend on. You need to practice it...you need to have a philosophy and scheme behind it. It has to be an emphasis. ...not just Showtime.

Yeah you are right; it is a bit disconcerting when you look at D'Antoni's 18-24 record vs Woodson's 18-6 record. Our defense was definitely an issue under Brown, and it was magnified by the high # of TOs and not playing freely.

As for D'Antoni's record, I would say that Lin was responsible for a lot of D'Antoni's wins, so hopefully Nash can fill that role and not get run into the ground.

Also, Melo not buying into his system resulted in a lot of his losses (they won with Lin starting and Melo out, and started losing again when Melo came back). One major cog not fitting in and it all fails. I know Kobe is a much different player than Melo, but he is still similarly a very prolific scorer. I wonder how his role will fit into D'Antoni's system.
"Why are they blocking out all the good stuff? They let Sarah Jessica Parker's face on TV and she looks like a foot!!"
dj vitus

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion

Postby hypotenuse on Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:52 pm

TIME wrote:
therealdeal wrote:Image

Wow, how bad is this for therealdeal. Biggest development and dude can only post pictures. :man6:

Personally, I'm not thrilled with the hire, but I'm not on suicide watch either. I wanted Phil. Second choice would have been Sloan. Third would have been Shaw. The guy I really wanted originally is coaching the TWolves. D'Antoni was not on my radar.

But, I see how it can work. If Nate M signs on I'll be happier. I know a lot of guys are griefing Jim Buss for this, but I'm thinking this was more of a Jerry Buss thing. He has ALWAYS missed Showtime even through all the successful Phil years. This is the closest he can get with D'Antoni and Nash. Doc Buss has earned some fun for his twilight years. And who knows, maybe, just maybe with Kobe and Dwight in the mix they figure it all out.

I feel exactly the same way.. except I might have even had Shaw over Sloan simply because of the continuity and gravitas that Shaw holds with the players and organization. Remember that Shaw won a chip as both a player and a coach for that franchise.. do the Lakers have no sense of loyalty anymore?

Postby Center Court on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:45 pm

that's a great video and very informative...

My big concern is not Nash//Kobe/Dwight, they'll all get theirs quite easily. Even Jamison/Meeks/Ebanks will be okay. Meeks can shoot, Ebanks can slash, Jamison can do both. Hill is a beast and is impact comes from his energy. Hell, even MWP should be okay. His best years were when he was really green lighted to play his type of game, and thats what MDA does best. let people play to their strengths.

I'm worried about Pau. He's not a spready PF. He's more a skilled center that can have an offense run though him in the post, same way he did when we were winning rings. If he turns into a jump shooter with the occasional post up move and highlight pass, he's skillset is wasted. Hopefully MDA can find a way to get him to play to his strengths while Dwight also plays to his.

IMO big reason the triangle was better was that it gave Pau and Dwight the unstoppable scheme to play together- while limiting Nash. The MDA offense will maximize Nash and Dwight while limiting Pau a bit.
Center Court

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:00 pm

Kamenetzky Brothers ‏@ESPNLandOLakers
D'Antoni had 49 different players between 2009-11 in NY. Think that might of had something to do w/the bad defense? AK
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby jlkr on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:08 pm

MDA and Melo didn't mix. That trade was forced on MDA; he never would have said yes to Melo if anyone had asked him. Kobe can be ball-dominant like Melo, but he's not the black hole Melo is. So I do not see Kobe-related issues with MDA.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

--Robert Frost
jlkr

Postby karacha on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:24 pm

Too bad we don't have Bynum instead of Dwight. Bynum is a center who likes shooting the 3.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby gill on Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:25 pm

gill

Postby Tobias Funke on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:26 pm

So is he coaching on Sunday for sure? Im anxious to get a look at the new system.
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby TIME on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
D'Antoni had 49 different players between 2009-11 in NY. Think that might of had something to do w/the bad defense? AK

:man4:

Gotta be some kind of record.
I'm lost in the fog of denial!
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby Doc Brown on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:33 pm

TIME wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

He gets a bad rap in NY, but you can't deny that is a really s****y hand to get dealt.
Rule of Thumb at ClubLakers - Never encourage people to check your post history.
Doc Brown

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:49 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
TIME wrote:
Doc Brown wrote:

He gets a bad rap in NY, but you can't deny that is a really s****y hand to get dealt.

to somewhat steal a line from president clinton: not even phil jackson could have fixed that sh**
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:24 pm

gcclaker wrote:
kray28 wrote:
lakerfan2 wrote:Can we send Blake/Ebanks to Cleveland for a Trade Exception/Cash Considerations/2nd Round Draft Pick?

Then sign Pietrus.

Hill/Jamison/Pietrus/Meeks/Duhon

I'd live with that.

So to recap:

In: Pringles and Peaches.
Out: Bagel and fake-Trevor

I honestly don't understand why a grown a*** man would want to live with a nickname of Peaches. Seriously... :man10:

That line up suggested would be competent enough to hold leads or keep it from completely dwindling away.

BOSTON -- Mickael Pietrus has heard a handful of nicknames over his eight-year NBA career. But now that’s playing for the Boston Celtics, he wants a new moniker on his new team.

“I’ve got France, Threetrus -- Pietrus, Threetrus -- and Black Mamba 2,” he told CSNNE.com. “They can’t pick the same name Orlando called me, Peaches. It was Peaches because that’s my favorite food.”

Pietrus has also been called “The Black Puma,” which he learned about from his Wikipedia page.

So what’s next? Pietrus is enlisting the help of Celtics fans to come up with a new nickname.

“I’ll let them pick,” he said. "It would be more fun if they can hit me up on Twitter (@MickaelPietrus) and find a nickname for me. I will tweet what the Boston Celtics fans should call me.”

Black Mamba 2? :man10:
nthydro

Postby nthydro on Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:39 pm

Mike D'Antoni first interview as Lakers coach w/ Ryan Seacrest

http://www.beyondthebuzzer.com/2012/11/13/mike-dantoni-calls-into-kiis-fm-with-ryan-seacrest/
nthydro

Postby DarthRekal on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:53 pm

so which is the real dantoni thread?
Lakers Motto: HOF Guards, We MAKE 'Em... HOF Centers, We TAKE 'Em
DarthRekal
Cookie Monster

Postby Doc Brown on Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:57 pm

DarthRekal wrote:so which is the real dantoni thread?

This one...

The other one should be named.....The WMC thread about how the Lakers didn't hire Phil.
Doc Brown

Postby lakerfan2 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:30 pm

Doc Brown wrote:
DarthRekal wrote:so which is the real dantoni thread?

This one...

The other one should be named.....The WMC thread about how the Lakers didn't hire Phil.

:man10:
#OURHOUSE
lakerfan2

Postby Tobias Funke on Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:39 pm

Anyone know which game he'll be on the sidelines? I think the defense will improve as Dwight improves and Im not worried too much about what he can/will do there, but Im interested to see what direction he goes in offensively, which may sound silly to some/or most, but still....
"Come hell or high water we're gonna be there again. Its just something about the Lakers organization. Mitch is really, really good at it, he's really really good man...."

Tobias Funke

Postby TIME on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:53 pm

Bump
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby karacha on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:54 pm

Since the old thread is now locked, I will just copy and paste my comment about his press conference:

... I am optimistic. He knows what he's talking about and most importantly -- he knows who his players are and what they can do. That's a start. He's funny and entertaining, so we better get some entertaining basketball this season.
"It's not realistic to get younger and better when you only have the veteran's minimum to offer free agents." :mhihi:

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

Postby TIME on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:56 pm

karacha wrote:Since the old thread is now locked, I will just copy and paste my comment about his press conference:

... I am optimistic. He knows what he's talking about and most importantly -- he knows who his players are and what they can do. That's a start. He's funny and entertaining, so we better get some entertaining basketball this season.

Succinct and covers my impression as well.
TIME
CL Global Moderator

Postby The Laker Link on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:58 pm

Well, this guy said all the right things, everything Mike Clown stood for, D'Antoni is the opposite of that which I already love!

-Knows Jodie Meeks is catch n shoot
-wants to maximize Dwight on the pick n roll
-Lets Steve actually run the show (expected but so happy about it)

The things that really stood out to me is when he said "why not have more possessions when you have the most talent?" Which to me is true, we are or should be the most dominant team on both ends of the floor night in & night out & I have full confidence that by the way D'Antoni speaks highly of his players they will have the confidence to highlight their best attributes on this team.

I'm sold on showtime 2.0

people need to stop crying over Phil because it didn't happen & all this whining isn't going to bring him back, might as well keep crying over CP3

Steve Blake is running the show!? :man4:
The Laker Link

Postby karacha on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:59 pm

Blake's numbers have to go up if we want to get something for him eventually. He better deliver.

About Nash: he should be re-evaluated tomorrow, right? That's 7 days they talked about earlier. I wonder if he and MDA will be ready on Sunday. Can't wait to see their first game together, it should be awesome.

-Troll Kupchak
karacha
CL Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard