Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby l__o on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:49 am

Will Mike D resign himself?
If so, Phil can back :bang: :bang: :man8: :man6:
l__o

Postby charvin on Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:15 am

Because Phil didn't spend much time on teaching defense also :man10:

While it may not be all on D'Antoni, it is partially his fault for asking Pau to shoot 3-pointers. What is the point in doing that? He's never been good at it, never shot more than a few dozen attempts over his career, and you expect him to shoot those?

BDG wrote:What was the point in hiring D'Antoni?

We're not running pick & roll
We're definitely not running and gunning, nor do we have the personnel to, nor do I want us to
Steve Nash isn't being maximized
He's never been a great defensive coach

Why didn't we just go with Phil again? He doesn't do any of these things either but he's an above average defensive coach.

If we just showed a consistent defensive effort with a PHILOSOPHY in place, we'd be atop the west right now. There's at least 10 games where we've lost and we should have won if we just played some D.
charvin

Postby Punk-101 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:02 pm

I might get desperate and majorly shake things up if I'm MDA:

Nash(32)/DJO(16) <---Yes, that desperate. He doesn't have pg skills so Kobe/Gasol would have to facilitate.
Kobe(28)/Meeks(20)
MWP(38)/Kobe(10)
Jamison(20)/Hill(20)/Gasol(8)
Howard (36)/Gasol(12)
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby dwighthowardsdad on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Punk-101 wrote:I might get desperate and majorly shake things up if I'm MDA:

Nash(32)/DJO(16) <---Yes, that desperate. He doesn't have pg skills so Kobe/Gasol would have to facilitate.
Kobe(28)/Meeks(20)
MWP(38)/Kobe(10)
Howard (36)/Gasol(12)

You might be right about DJO. He's undersized but he's athletic, plays defense, and can shoot. I'd say why not? Morris has shown promise at times, but right now, he's just not consistent enough.
dwighthowardsdad

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:29 pm

looked like he was calling ALOT of plays from the sideline and guys werent playing as free. i think dantoni should take a step back a little bit more and let the offense run itself and also use pau on the elbow in horns which is literally the only thing he can do right
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:26 pm

we dont have enough options in this offense. what i mean is that dantoni doesnt give guys a fair chance or do something in his system to work with them. if one guy of our main crew is playing terrible we lose most of the time. mwp has a bad game we lose. pau is more than his usual pathetic we lose. dwight same thing. kobe same thing. meeks same thing. we need more guys to come in so that they can step up if somehow has a bad game.

thats what hill does very well pretty much cancelling paus bad play if hill got more mins. and jamison could do the same thing. there should be a role for blake when he comes back and he should be the backup PG. ebanks i still think can contribute with a defined role and minutes but dantoni is sticking to a very small rotation and it doesnt leave a lot of room for errors. i think he needs to open up more time for other players and less time for pau who is doing nothing but also even if he was cant handle bigger minutes.
Ariza3

Postby pound4pound1 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:33 pm

it sucks that its gonna take us missing the playoffs or getting embarrassed in the 1st round before we fire this clown

the FO needs to understand that they're gonna eventually fire MDA anyway...the sooner the better...

this coach is a joke...how are you 2 games under .500 with this team?

this team showed more promise under Bernie
Jerry Buss wrote:One of the biggest reasons I bought the Lakers was to beat the Celtics …..you just got it into your soul that you couldn't stand the Celtics anymore
pound4pound1

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:35 pm

PLAY JAMISON. be a coach and help build chemistry and trust within his players. inspire them. do your job.
Ariza3

Postby Ariza3 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:35 pm

wooo! said hes gunna keep starting metta and gunna play more hill and play jamison. said jamison hasnt played with nash yet and wants him to play. we could see him play denver and who knows he could go off again.
Ariza3

Postby MC on Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:49 am

Punk-101 wrote:I might get desperate and majorly shake things up if I'm MDA:

Kobe(28)/Meeks(20)
MWP(38)/Kobe(10)
Howard (36)/Gasol(12)

Punk, you know I love you man but that is just terrible....

How about asking the coach to actually coach....... how about that?

Figure out a way to use what you got, not bury it on the bench and pretend everything is going to be ok lol.

repeat after me .... Hill is actually a LIABILITY out there...... ok with spot minutes but over time with more minutes a complete liability. Don't mix up expectation for a player for actual value on the court scheme wise.

I agree with more burn for Gasol at the C however and with him possibly coming off the bench ( i mentioned this last year when the other dummy was asking Pau to be a stretch 4 lol)..... if MDA can find his head that is placed so far up his azz...... maybe Nash can help him out by giving him a flashlight?

This team at it's age with certain personnel groupings should think about sprinkling in a match up 2-3 zone maybe too as a change up defense in order to help preserve legs a bit for our bigs keeping them closer to the paint area and not chasing smalls on switches...... oh wait that is talking defense.....never mind, I don't want to confuse MDA into thinking we are playing an actual 2 way sport out there lol.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby MC on Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:05 am

charvin wrote:Because Phil didn't spend much time on teaching defense also :man10:

While it may not be all on D'Antoni, it is partially his fault for asking Pau to shoot 3-pointers. What is the point in doing that? He's never been good at it, never shot more than a few dozen attempts over his career, and you expect him to shoot those?

BDG wrote:What was the point in hiring D'Antoni?

We're not running pick & roll
We're definitely not running and gunning, nor do we have the personnel to, nor do I want us to
Steve Nash isn't being maximized
He's never been a great defensive coach

Why didn't we just go with Phil again? He doesn't do any of these things either but he's an above average defensive coach.

If we just showed a consistent defensive effort with a PHILOSOPHY in place, we'd be atop the west right now. There's at least 10 games where we've lost and we should have won if we just played some D.

You are right, Jackson didn't teach much defense but of course when you control pace with your offense and keep proper floor balance when the shots go up than you can get away with that with veteran players..... The lesson MDA never has learned as a coach and will seemingly never learn.
"If the wolf is the strength of the pack, the pack is the strength of the wolf"
MC

Postby LTLakerFan on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:48 am

Phil and "All Day Every Day" are probably texting each other and laughing.........

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketbal ... _fragment=

Mike D'Antoni has been a huge failure with Lakers

The new coach isn't getting anything out of Pau Gasol, his communication skills are lacking and his offense isn't working with the Lakers.

By T.J. Simers
January 5, 2013, 5:44 p.m.

The Lakers have a huge problem and it's not Pau Gasol.

It's the guy who is being paid handsomely to utilize his expertise and get the most out of one of the NBA's top players.

And so far Coach Mike D'Antoni has been a huge failure.

The Lakers continue to overlook Pau Gasol in their offense

Say what you want about Gasol being a baby at times, soft and maybe not handling things on the court as well as a pro should.

But prima donnas are a part of professional sports and Gasol has already proven himself a worthy NBA competitor.

It's the baby sitters like D'Antoni who have to get the very best out of every one of the different personalities they've been given.

When D'Antoni publicly humiliated Gasol for not being needed with the game on the line, it demonstrated a total misunderstanding of how Gasol handles such things.

It was D'Antoni's job to know better before pulverizing a fragile Gasol.

I'm sure Gasol's knees did hurt, but as Lakers coach, D'Antoni needed Gasol to get off to a good start after fans were left disappointed with Phil Jackson not getting the job.

And Gasol wasn't there for D'Antoni.

How much does human nature factor into a player suddenly needing time off to rest his knees? And how long before he returns?

Maybe that doesn't speak well of Gasol, if true, but what does it matter? The head coach's top priority is pushing the right buttons to maximize a player's skills.

Some folks have suggested trading Gasol because D'Antoni can't get the best out of one of the best players in the game.

Too bad it's not possible to suggest trading the coach for someone who knows talent and how to use it.

D'Antoni has spent his NBA career as a head coach trying to prove his system works. Many NBA teams have stolen aspects of his philosophy.

But he has been a failure in proving it a championship success. And when he arrived here the most casual basketball fan understood it was not a good fit.

But if D'Antoni is as good as so many have said as a coach, shouldn't he find a way to move the Xs and O's around to accommodate the talent here?

It hasn't happened yet.

Will the hiring of D'Antoni go down as one of the Lakers' all-time blunders because he was too stubborn to bend?

Gasol was a lost soul again against the Clippers on Friday night. Benched in the fourth quarter, he made a cameo appearance with 1:07 remaining because Dwight Howard fouled out.

He finished the game with two points, and it's no wonder the Lakers are 15-17.

"He just didn't have a good game," D'Antoni told the media, but couldn't the same be said about D'Antoni?

Gasol told reporters he's at his best when he plays down low and explores other areas on the court.

He said his assignment now is to hang around the free-throw line, his playing time now based on whether he makes his jump shots or misses.

It has already become apparent D'Antoni is not a great communicator. Antawn Jamison has said as much, and Gasol seems to have no idea what D'Antoni wants from him.

D'Antoni operates as if alone on an island. He said he would rather not talk to the media, but required to do so, he said, he will usually lie.

When he arrived, he did so with a light heart and a quick quip. But as he has continued to drag his repaired knee around the country, the medication by his own admission sometimes dulling his senses, he has lost that light heart and become more distant with each loss.

As head coach he remains the central spokesman for the franchise and the great hope for fans for better days ahead.

But he has fallen short here as well. He no longer says, "I don't know" in answer to most questions, but he has already said if he fails, he has a guaranteed contract and will be playing golf again.

It's a great attitude if designed to protect him from getting hurt again, as he was in New York after quitting.

But if he really wanted this job, so much so that he was willing to do it on a painful knee and drugs, then it was on him to build a relationship with both Lakers fans and players.

And how goes that? Do you have confidence in D'Antoni that he has a plan to fix the Lakers' woes? Do you think the players believe they are headed in the right direction?

If the answer is "no" to both questions, then the initial thought process around here that D'Antoni was the wrong answer to what puzzles the Lakers still appears to be the correct one.
LTLakerFan

Postby Punk-101 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:01 am

MC wrote:
Punk, you know I love you man but that is just terrible....

How about asking the coach to actually coach....... how about that?

Figure out a way to use what you got, not bury it on the bench and pretend everything is going to be ok lol.

repeat after me .... Hill is actually a LIABILITY out there...... ok with spot minutes but over time with more minutes a complete liability. Don't mix up expectation for a player for actual value on the court scheme wise.

I agree with more burn for Gasol at the C however and with him possibly coming off the bench ( i mentioned this last year when the other dummy was asking Pau to be a stretch 4 lol)..... if MDA can find his head that is placed so far up his azz...... maybe Nash can help him out by giving him a flashlight?

This team at it's age with certain personnel groupings should think about sprinkling in a match up 2-3 zone maybe too as a change up defense in order to help preserve legs a bit for our bigs keeping them closer to the paint area and not chasing smalls on switches...... oh wait that is talking defense.....never mind, I don't want to confuse MDA into thinking we are playing an actual 2 way sport out there lol.

I don't think there's a way to figure out how to use Gasol. There hasn't been for 2+ years. Yes, even under Phil. The decline has come ever since Bynum transitioned to the primary post option. Now that role is played by Howard. Even as the beta post option there are PLENTY of opportunities for Gasol to attack at his comfort spots when he's leading the second unit. There were also games where Bynum was injured or in foul trouble and he sucked for the most part. There have been games this year where Howard was in foul trouble and Gasol slid over to Howard's role and he still sucked.

I believe him that he's playing hurt and limited, but it shouldn't be this bad. I honestly think his problem is between the ears and under the ribcage. He's either involved in the chemistry drama in the locker room, is butthurt about losing his alpha post role, or has lost his passion for rings. I think it is mostly the later. Kobe made that comment a few years ago about "guys can't be satisfied with just 2 rings." We assumed it was towards lamar, but now I think it was Gasol. This explains exactly why he excels for Spain. He still has that fire for his country. That, and he's still the alpha post option. I understand that it is a factor. If he was a beast for us in the post when Howard was in foul trouble or when Bynum was out I'd be raving about getting him more involved as well, but it's just not the case.

I agree that Hill has a law of diminishing returns quality. I believe the threshold is about 20 minutes. I'd play him with Gasol and not Howard so Gasol can be the alpha post option and Hill can be the energy garbage man. i'd play jamison with Howard as the real stretch 4. I don't like Gasol in that role either.

Oh, and I love you too. :man1:
“Action has meaning only in relationship; and without understanding relationship, action on any level will only breed conflict. The understanding of relationship is infinitely more important than the search for any plan of action.”
-Jiddu Krishnamurti
Punk-101

Postby Weezy on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 am

I don't like 'Antoni, but I hate Simers, so I didn't enjoy that read, he's a clown. 'Antoni isn't getting anything out of Pau, yeah well neither did Mike Brown or Phil Jackson in his last season here, so that's 3 coaches same result. So how is that on 'Antoni? IMO it's not, Simers is a joke of a writer and from everything I've seen a pathetic person, he's probably still mad that 'Antoni got mad at him and told him he was starting to piss him off during a post-game interview.
Weezy
CL Global Moderator

Postby Chillbongo on Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:34 pm

Simers is a joke for sure. But I think there's a common theme between the three coaches & Pau. In all of those years, Pau had to relegate to a "stretch 4" because of an emerging Bynum.

He isn't the Pau of 2010, (or even 2011 :bang: ) but he can be more effective than his performances have shown this year. He can get more than 2ppg and 4 apg.

You can't expect a guy to play 2 years away from his normal role, and then all of a sudden have the post-game muscle memory down when they get him the ball in the post barely 2-3x per game.

Just my observances, not arguing one way or another. It's pretty clear he has to go at this point, but D'Antoni has exacerbated the process.
Chillbongo

Postby Lakerjones on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Even if I don't like D' Antoni, I'm with Weezy, I hate TJ SLIMERS. I can't stand that guy's "writing."
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby noobiew on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:20 pm

I had to agree with Simers, wrong coach decision by the Lakers FO, we have a 39 yrs old PG and bunch of older players but the Lakers FO want us to play Showtime II basketball ?
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby JLaker17 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:55 pm

Mike Bresnahan ‏@Mike_Bresnahan
"We Want Phil" chant just started at Staples Center. #Lakers

Must be awkward to be D'Antoni...
JLaker17

Postby scissors on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 pm

This guy is a joke. Just finish the season with Bernie and we might actually make the playoffs.
scissors

Postby trodgers on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:14 pm

Someone (quite a few pages back probably) suggested that someone should state very clearly what D'Antoni is doing wrong. I think that's an incredibly good suggestion.

He's absolutely alienating his players from himself. He's going 100 miles an hour with his system without adapting to players. Name one guy who gives an F about him on this team. Name one guy who would go to bat for him. Name one guy who respects him. Name one guy who trusts D'Antoni to gameplan for a win.
twitter.com/lakersballtweet lakersball.com
trodgers
Site Manager

Postby khmrP on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:15 pm

really is living to the no D in his name :man10:
khmrP

Postby revgen on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:17 pm

khmrP wrote:really is living to the no D in his name :man10:

True...but not funny.
"Every time he’s hurt, he always plays, he always comes through."

- Metta World Peace on teammate Kobe Bryant
revgen
HDTV/Multimedia Guru

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:18 pm

I don't even blame the lack of D really on him. This team wasn't good on D before he got here, then they became decent after he got here, and now they have hit rock bottom. It's just clear they have either no ability to play defense or don't even understand how to do it properly

It's just funny at this point.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby Armani on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:28 pm

Serious question... is he better than Bernie?
Armani

Postby D.B. Cooper on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:29 pm

I gave the hire a chance.... Gtfo, quit like you quit on the Knicks
D.B. Cooper

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard