Mike D'Antoni Discussion: RESIGNS AS LAKERS COACH (184)

Re: Mike D'Antoni Discussion: post in 7 seconds or less

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:20 pm

I don't think it would have been this bad with Brown. I think it would have still ended badly and failed to maximize the roster, but the slower pace and consistency might have had us above .500. The downside is, we would get obliterated in the western conference playoffs. Hiring MDT was a gamble to inject life into what ownership clearly thought was going to be another redundant season with a star studded cast.
SpencerHarrison

Postby JoelMyersScrotalSack on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:32 pm

SpencerHarrison wrote:I don't think it would have been this bad with Brown. I think it would have still ended badly and failed to maximize the roster, but the slower pace and consistency might have had us above .500. The downside is, we would get obliterated in the western conference playoffs. Hiring MDT was a gamble to inject life into what ownership clearly thought was going to be another redundant season with a star studded cast.

We went 0-8 in the pre-season (which by itself wouldn't mean anything) and then went 1-4 in the RS with only a win against a garbage Pistons team. Yes we would have been just as bad if not worse.
JoelMyersScrotalSack

Postby SpencerHarrison on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:37 pm

JoelMyersScrotalSack wrote:
SpencerHarrison wrote:I don't think it would have been this bad with Brown. I think it would have still ended badly and failed to maximize the roster, but the slower pace and consistency might have had us above .500. The downside is, we would get obliterated in the western conference playoffs. Hiring MDT was a gamble to inject life into what ownership clearly thought was going to be another redundant season with a star studded cast.

We went 0-8 in the pre-season (which by itself wouldn't mean anything) and then went 1-4 in the RS with only a win against a garbage Pistons team. Yes we would have been just as bad if not worse.

Could be right, pointless discussion anyway.
SpencerHarrison

Postby WilliamHaven on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:40 pm

Did I hear him wrong or did this dummy actually say they played good defense tonight????
Move along ho, Super Lakers don't hang out with no skanks.
WilliamHaven

Postby solenstyle on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:46 pm

Just fire his [Swearing is not permitted at Clublakers. You must edit this post prior to submitting.] already

solenstyle

Postby TaniBoyz on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 pm

WilliamHaven wrote:Did I hear him wrong or did this dummy actually say they played good defense tonight????

he doesn't know what defense is anyway
TaniBoyz

Postby khmrP on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:47 pm

WilliamHaven wrote:Did I hear him wrong or did this dummy actually say they played good defense tonight????

well shooting % wise it was good :man10: but like I said he doesn't know what good D looks like so anything that hasn't resembled the crap that he's seen lately is good D to him.
khmrP

Postby odom1year on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:57 pm

Last 2 years, the main reason for why we lost was no defense. How come we hire a no defense-minded coach this year ?
odom1year

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:02 am

I remain unimpressed. He's not helping anything, let's put it that way.

To emphasize how bad I think a coaching hire this was - I couldn't stand Brown, but I thought he did a much better job last season than D' Antoni has done in his place this season. D' Antoni to me is a better coach, or at the very least was a very innovative coach who helped revitalize the offensive side of NBA ball. But his overall coaching job he's done here? Not nearly as good as Brown last year, which is really saying something.

Maybe he'll turn it around, but it sure doesn't seem that way.
Last edited by Lakerjones on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakeshow24 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:03 am

The Lakers did play good defense in the 3rd Qtr. They sucked in the 1st Q. And blew major ones in the 4th Q.
UCLA, Los Angeles, CA. Born and Raised.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
THE ORIGINATOR OF: "Call It From Heaven Chick!"
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby noobiew on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:08 am

Fire D' Antoni please, this roster does not fit his coaching styles. :bang:
Michael Jordan : "My Chicago team are the all-time greatest"
Magic Johnson : "Put me with Kareem, James Worthy, Cooper and Byron Scott, and we'd dominate your Bulls team"
noobiew

Postby Lakeshow24 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:10 am

The likelihood of firing D'Antoni, the 2nd coach this season, is pretty remote. That's a lot of wasted $$ millions to burn all because you want to change your mind.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
"To be removed if the Lakers make the playoffs." Well, I removed it for an hour and decided to put it back. I have to be honest.
Lakeshow24

Postby lakersyunowin on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:12 am

Lakeshow24 wrote:The likelihood of firing D'Antoni, the 2nd coach this season, is pretty remote. That's a lot of wasted $$ millions to burn all because you want to change your mind.

the money would be worth it if they learn their lesson about making the right decision once.
the artist formerly known as fklukewalton, fksteveblake, and fkmikebrown
lakersyunowin

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:27 am

fkmikebrown wrote:
Lakeshow24 wrote:The likelihood of firing D'Antoni, the 2nd coach this season, is pretty remote. That's a lot of wasted $$ millions to burn all because you want to change your mind.

the money would be worth it if they learn their lesson about making the right decision once.

^^ Agreed.

Here's a clue next time for Jim Buss. Stop running the coaching hires. Just leave it alone from now on. Three strikes, you're out. Three coaching hires, each one progressively worse. The first one . . . well, Phil lost, we jettisoned Shaq and went small - at least on paper it made some sense to hire Rudy T. He had won championships after all. Might have wanted to do more of a background check on his health however . . . But that did end very poorly.

Mike Brown hire? Impulsive, went against the better judgement of Mitch and Jerry who thought they were going to go with Adelman. Brown was Jim's hire all the way - he was the only one who met with him, and fell head over heels for him and his DVD's. He came back all fired up and convinced the other two. Bad hire.

Should've gone with Shaw if you wanted continuity and a guy that the players, especially Kobe, vocally endorsed.
But no, Shaw was Phil's guy. Shaw said his whole interview was Jim ripping on Phil - nothing about himself. He never even got the phone call telling him he wasn't going to get the job.

Could've gone with experience and great coaching in Adelman. But no.

Then the biggest failure of all three was MDA. Is it totally over yet? Probably not. But the way this hire went down was just atrocious. They had a golden opportunity to right the mistake they made in hiring (and then having to fire) Mike Brown. Instead they managed to say F you to the fans, to Phil, and to the Lakers team itself by hiring a guy that was an obvious bad fit for the personnel. Worse, they were winning ball games under Bernie, so they didn't have to rush this hire the way they did. As I've said seemingly endless times, they didn't even bother to give Sloan or McMillan a phone call. Anyone doing their due diligence should have interviewed some other potential candidates and not rush into things like they did with Brown.

Next time Jim should just hand over the reigns of the coaching hire to Mitch. He's the basketball guy. Let him run the hire and just step away from it.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Lakeshow24 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:42 am

Jim Buss is a cancer in the organization, apparently.
In Dr. Buss I Truss!
Lakeshow24

Postby Lakerjones on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:50 am

Lakeshow24 wrote:Jim Buss is a cancer in the organization, apparently.

I have mixed feelings about totally blasting him like that though. He is the heir apparent so we have to live with him for sure. I'm ok with him having his hands in the personnel decisions. I think he's been pretty good in that department.

But I'm sure as hell unhappy with him running the coaching hires. He's terrible at it. Beyond terrible actually. His record speaks for itself. It's unequivocal. The guy has struck out three straight times. That part of his job description is not debatable. He's failed miserably at it. And he needs to stop doing it for the good of the franchise going forward.
Lakerjones
CL Global Moderator

Postby Maluco Beleza on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:51 am

somebody kick his *** plz and i hope stephen a rips him tomorrow
Maluco Beleza

Postby Lets Go Lakers on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:56 am

Jim Buss should have nothing to do with any basketball related decisions. Nothing. He is nothing more than the son of a rich father and has no experience or knowledge of basketball. He has ruined this team.
Lets Go Lakers

Postby SmoothOperator on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:01 am

After the Bulls game, D'Antoni's record is now at 12-19 coaching the Lakers.

Let's have a reminder of a few D'Antoni quotes when he was first hired. I was pro-Phil and this hire had red flags from the beginning.

D'Antoni at his introductory presser:
"I told Dwight today he can be in every play. We don't call plays. One of the least efficient plays in basketball is just a straight post-up."

A team with Dwight Howard, Pau Gasol, Kobe Bryant, Metta and he thinks any of them posting up will be inefficient. :man3:

Again at his intro presser:
D'Antoni says they're going to have to monitor Nash's minutes and take care of him with his health, just like he's always had to do. Will do the same with Kobe. When they need to win, those guys will play a lot.

No wonder Kobe is playing 42 min a game....

“If we’re not averaging 110 or 115 points per game, then we need to talk,” D’Antoni declared.

....................l o l.

"Defensively, we should be a bear."

After winning his debut, D'Antoni said, "With this team, there's no reason not to win every game."

Also during his intro presser...
"I tried coaching without (Steve Nash) and that didn't work out too well." (Referring to his tenure with the Knicks

Since the return of Steve Nash, the Lakers have gone 5-10. It's not working too well with Nash.

Which leads to the timeframe when Nash was injured...
D’Antoni believes Nash will help the Lakers overcome the ongoing learning curves. “It won’t cure everything, but it will help,” D’Antoni said. “If at that point, it doesn’t cure some stuff, we need to have some heart to hearts.”

And most recently...
“I told the team that the biggest thing is that our season starts Sunday,” coach Mike D’Antoni said, referring to the Lakers’ home game against the Cleveland Cavaliers. “We put ourselves in this ditch and we are the only ones that can get ourselves out.”

So the Lakers are 2-3 on D'Antoni's "Our season starts Sunday" schedule....

The key trends is that D'Antoni generally tries to over deliver on expectations, and when that failed, he points the finger at the Nash injury..... and when Nash comes back and the problems look systemic, he uses some high school basketball coach mottos to try to motivate his team...... But he's got one of the most talented rosters, why doesn't he try coaching effectively? Oh yes, that's right...
"You don't try to over coach. You try to make it simple." D'Antoni on trying to get the most talent out of his players.

:bang: :bang: :bang:
You can't spell LeBlow Image without ELBOW....
SmoothOperator

Postby BDG on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:21 am

We went from a guy who overcoaches to a guy who undercoaches.

We went from a guy who was all defense, no offense to a guy who is all offense, no defense.

I still refuse to believe this team isn't underachieving because of bad coaching.
Slava laughed at the suggestion his skills might be affected by the down time. "Are you kidding?" he said. "Basketball is like ball. It's all a circle."

BEST VIDEO EVER ... AND AND THE SECOND BEST.
BDG
Retired Admin

Postby denimPortugal on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:32 am

Pfff, morr*n! :mad1:
denimPortugal

Postby charvin on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:42 am

D'Antoni is right, the problem clearly is offense, can't you guy see?! We only scored 2 points in the first few minutes against the Raptors!

All jokes aside, I really, really hope he grows another pair and just resigns like he did with the NYK. I know your (Buss) job is to hire a coach and give him job stability, but did you ever (at the very least) plan for the worst? Giving yet another coach, who hasn't proven to be successful, a 4 year contract is just a disaster waiting to happen.

It may just be me, but if the 'system' they played under Bernie for those 5 games was considered pick-up ball, what do you call this? I definitely wouldn't call this a PNR system, it's completely random, IMO.
charvin

Postby Mr_Hollywood_Line on Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Lets Go Lakers wrote:Jim Buss should have nothing to do with any basketball related decisions. Nothing. He is nothing more than the son of a rich father and has no experience or knowledge of basketball. He has ruined this team.

This.
Mr_Hollywood_Line

Postby purp n gold on Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:59 pm

I can't believe I convinced myself to believe that MDA would adjust his gameplan for our roster.

When our inferior 06 and 07 teams almost upset the Suns in the playoffs, we knew MDA's weakness is that he had no ability to adjust. One of the biggest reasons why we were in those games was because Phil outcoached MDA. And once Bynum became a decent player in 07-08 (even before the Gasol trade), MDA was getting mopped by Phil and Co. He wasn't winning against us again.

So what does Jim Buss do? Goes and hires him over Phil.

:bang:
There are two teams that play in the Staples Center:
the LA Lakers and NBA Clippers.
purp n gold

Postby SmoothOperator on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:03 am

- Pau is unhappy with how D'Antoni has used him, demanding him be a stretch 4 and now a bench role player

- Kobe essentially expressed frusteration with D'Antoni right after the Bulls loss with this quote:
"We need to go back to basics," Bryant said. "We need to put guys in positions to do what they do best. We need to strip it down. Steve is best in pick-and-roll. Pau is best in the post. I'm best from the free-throw line extended down. Let's go back to basics."

- Dwight Howard is unhappy with how he's being used in D'Antoni's offense, dropping hints about his displeasure in his role... thus prompting rumors of him walking once his contract is up.

Nobody is happy with coach and it seems like the the common denominator is everybody is screaming that we have to "play inside out" (ie. Pau in the post (per Kobe comments); Pau being vocal of wanting to be in the post; Dwight literally saying "We have to play inside out").

Why aren't we doing it?

It's because D'Antoni doesn't think straight up post play is effective.

:disagree:
You can't spell LeBlow Image without ELBOW....
SmoothOperator

PreviousNext

Return to The Graveyard